LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Radagast the Brown  (Read 17383 times)

August 14, 2008, 09:19:53 PM
Read 17383 times

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
Radagast the Brown
« on: August 14, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »
I came accross this topic on a German forum (yeah I know, I speak my languages) and I was wondering whether it was correct. If the replier also comes here, it isn't my lack of trust, it is just I want to see it confirmed by others as well :)
If you play radagast, and he's in your fellowship the move limit is +1. If he dies, or somehow gets discarded, does this still apply? And if it does and you are still capable of moving trice and in the regroup you replay him with Sent Back does this just add to the movelimit?
Think of the possibilities if it is....:D...Well I will think of them...running down the path any1?
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

August 14, 2008, 09:40:17 PM
Reply #1

Kralik

Re: Radagast the Brown
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 09:40:17 PM »
Radagast's gametext only applies when he is in play. So, no, the move limit does not continue to be +1 if he dies or is discarded. His gametext is not a boost that adds to the limit when played, unlike events such as Durin's Secret or News From the Mark. Therefore, playing him in the Fellowship phase, discarding him, and replaying him with Sent Back would not give another +1.

August 14, 2008, 09:42:24 PM
Reply #2

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 09:42:24 PM »
what if you played him then after the triple move tossed him with sent back then used another copy to replay him? Doubt it though seeing as radagast doesn't say each time he is played the move limit is +1 but worth a shot right.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:46:22 PM by NappyKorn »
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

August 14, 2008, 09:45:45 PM
Reply #3

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 09:45:45 PM »
I had my doubts about it but the guy was so convinced....
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

August 14, 2008, 09:46:29 PM
Reply #4

Kralik

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 09:46:29 PM »
Well, here's a breakdown:

Fellowship: Play Radagast. Move limit increases from 2-->3.

First Move, Skirmishes, etc.
Second Move, Skirmishes, etc.
Third Move, Skirmishes, Radagast is toast. Move limit decreases from 3-->2.

Regoup: Sent Back, Radagast comes back from the dead! Move limit increases from 2-->3.

August 14, 2008, 09:47:56 PM
Reply #5

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 09:47:56 PM »
as I thought but worth seeing if he can be another abusable card.

August 14, 2008, 09:49:20 PM
Reply #6

Kralik

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 09:49:20 PM »
If you want abusable play with Faramir, Captain of Ithilien (AFD) ;)

August 14, 2008, 10:02:46 PM
Reply #7

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »
Yeah LOL to bad that card isn't real and if it was it would be on the x-list ASAP. Even banned from open too.

August 14, 2008, 11:16:16 PM
Reply #8

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 11:16:16 PM »
Yeah LOL to bad that card isn't real and if it was it would be on the x-list ASAP. Even banned from open too.
you think :D

August 14, 2008, 11:29:33 PM
Reply #9

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 11:29:33 PM »
"If the move limit is modified for a turn, then that modification is in effect for the whole turn, even if the conditions for the modification change."

So if Radagast dies or is somehow discarded, the move limit +1 stays. If you replay him with Sent Back, that bumps up the move limit even more.

And yup, been trying to get that combo to work. I think one of the biggest limitations is how multiple copies of Radagast count for the Rule of 9. So that gets in the way of, say, starting 8 companions as meatshields--you'd need some way of removing companions from the dead pile.

Something I've experimented with is using Smeagol with Secret Paths as support. Radagast x4, Sent Back x4, Secret Paths x4, Momentous Gathering x4, Out of the High Airs x4... :o Hey, if you can get something to work, post it! I'd definitely want to take a look. :up:

August 15, 2008, 01:04:19 AM
Reply #10

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 01:04:19 AM »
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW....the consequenses! Think of There's another way and One Good Turn Deserves Another...Play Caras Galadhon over and over..who cares about all the twilight, just make sure that you assign the crappy minions to the skirmish.....LOVE IT!!

August 15, 2008, 06:56:48 AM
Reply #11

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 06:56:48 AM »
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW....the consequenses! Think of There's another way and One Good Turn Deserves Another...Play Caras Galadhon over and over..who cares about all the twilight, just make sure that you assign the crappy minions to the skirmish.....LOVE IT!!

Bad thing is if some of that "crappy minions" is a 22 dmg+2 fierce minion    #-o

August 15, 2008, 08:01:53 AM
Reply #12

Kralik

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 08:01:53 AM »
"If the move limit is modified for a turn, then that modification is in effect for the whole turn, even if the conditions for the modification change."

My first thought here was, ouch, I was wrong! but then on my second look I still disagree. :P
Notice the wording: "for the turn." You'll see that such wording is used when events are played that modify the move limit: Safe Paths, Last Throw... on the other hand, think of conditions like Riding Like the Wind. No such wording. If Riding Like the Wind is discarded, do you still keep the move limit bonus? Don't think so. Same for Radagast.

August 15, 2008, 08:17:56 AM
Reply #13

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 08:17:56 AM »
I agree with Kralik. If you have, say, A Promise in play, does its strength bonus remain in effect if it is discarded? Of course not.

Better example: if Gandalf, Leader of the Company is in play in Region 1, each other companion is strength +2. Surely you wouldn't suggest that that strength boost would remain in effect if he were killed, would you? Or further suggest that his strength boost would double if he were somehow replayed for a total of +4 for each other companion? That's just silly talk.

Radagast works the same way. While he's in play, the move limit is +1. While he's NOT in play, the move limit is unaffected by his text, even if it WAS initially affected at the beginning of that turn. If you've already tripled you surely don't have to move back a site or anything, but unless you somehow increase the move limit again, it's back to 2 from then on out. If you get Radagast BACK in play, it goes to 3 again, but not 4.

It makes perfect sense to me. I can't understand why there's even a debate raging on this. :suspect:
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

August 15, 2008, 09:13:33 AM
Reply #14

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 09:13:33 AM »
From the Comprehensive Rule Book 4.0

"Move Limit"
If the move limit is modified for a turn, then that modification is in effect for the whole turn, even if the conditions for the modification change.

So since Radagast was alive at the beginning of the turn, the move limit was modified +1 and thus stays 3 unless modified down regardless of whether Radagast dies before the end of the turn.

This is a quote from M_H on CC regarding this same question. ES has it right.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"