LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Management team - election of the chairman of the PC  (Read 13075 times)

December 14, 2009, 11:57:44 PM
Read 13075 times

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Management team - election of the chairman of the PC
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »
We need to formally start forming the PC, so I propose the following:

The proposed PC needs volunteers. The roles can be divided into several different teams. I have summarised what I foresee may be some of the roles undertaken by each team. This model may or may not be final – please let me know of issues or changes you would like to see.

Team leaders and assistants would be required for the following seven teams:

a)   Management/legal/finance team – This team will be responsible for the overall operations of the PC. The management team is responsible for communication with all other teams, ensuring that each team is functioning as it should and ensuring that deadlines are being met. The chairman of the PC will lead the management team. When it comes time to pitch the PC to Decipher I suspect they may want it to happen in person, so we need a representative capable of doing so in America. If the PC can generate an income through donation, then the management team will need to look after finances in a transparent way that shows all donations are directed straight back to support the PC. The management team will be responsible to ensure that the PC operates in a way that will not lead to any legal disputes. Communication with other parties such as GCCG and Zorbec's to establish whether v-cards can be supported by these programs.

b)   Web team – The web team will be responsible for maintaining and updating the PC website. This may or may not be TLHH, if it is not TLHH we will continue to support the use of their forums. The PC website will need to provide free downloadable material (such as current ruling, tournament support, v-cards). Someone with web design experience is required. 

c)   Tournament team – The tournament team will be responsible for ensuring materials for running tournaments are up-to-date and available for download, tournament rule and guidelines, running tournaments, establishing championship and other enticing events, tournament rankings, etc.

d)   Marketing team – The marketing team is responsible for getting the word out there that LOTR is back and supported by a PC. The marketing team will need to form strategies to expand the player base.

e)   Rules team – The rules team will be responsible for issuing current rulings, ensuring rule-books are up-to-date and support all playing formats, changes to restricted and banned lists (if ever required) will fall to the rules team (?).

f)   Design team – Production of v-cards which may include cards with errata, promo cards with alternate images and completely new cards.

g)   Play-testing teams – Experienced playing groups will need to play-test v-cards before they are released. Play-testing will need to be in all relevant formats.

The first step is the establishment of the management team and the election of the chairman of the PC. Once established the management team can oversee the formation of the other six teams.

So – who is interested in being part of the management team? Who is interested in taking on the role of chairman? How should we elect the chairman of the PC?

Without management, there is no PC.

December 15, 2009, 04:50:26 AM
Reply #1

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Management team - election of the chairman of the PC
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:50:26 AM »
Without management, there is no PC.

Maybe so, but without players, there's no need for a PC - so why don't we just put a lot of these grand plans everyone seems to have on hold for a while and put all of our efforts towards building the player base - both online and in real life.

I know everybody's excited about getting the PC together and all, especially after the note from Warren, but if you don't take things one step at a time, things are going to fall apart - ok? This isn't a case of "if you build it, they will come."

I suggest that for the time being, there be only one "team", and that anyone and everyone can join or leave at their leisure - this team is responsible for marketing the game (not the PC, the GAME) anywhere and in any way they can.

Here's what I'm even willing to do - hold an in real life tournament (at least 4 players), take pictures, send me results and such, and I'll send you a box of boosters to give out as prize support at your next tournament. I really don't expect to be taken advantage of for a box of EoF or MoM, so be sure that your tournament submission includes some tangible proof that the event took place. If you have continued success with your events, and you are able to grow your player base, your prizes will get better.

In the end, what I'm saying is that the only part of your plan that is needed right now is the marketing. Seriously. There's only so many of us players even aware of the continued support for the game. In fact, I'd venture to say that if you went ahead and filled in all your teams there, you'd have a PC that is for, of, and by the only 30-50 active players in the world. That PC would exist for no purpose. There would be no one else to serve but itself.

Spread the Game.

December 15, 2009, 05:09:36 AM
Reply #2

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:09:36 AM »
Wow. This is the first thing you've posted, Hawk, that I 100% agree with.

I hope to host my second tournament in January. If the second has the same (or better) turnout than the first (five people), I would love that box of Mines or Ents as prize support...currently, prizes are coming out of my collection.
-wtk

December 15, 2009, 05:17:01 AM
Reply #3

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 05:17:01 AM »
While I agree with Hawk and think his support is very generous, I think we do need some organization and promotional items that point people this way. If the PC can furnish us with some little posters to announce tournaments, the promo slips, etc. I think that would go a long way in helping promote the game. In the end we have to have players, but until we achieve that mystical (and probably arbitrary) magical number we can blend our central committee with the plan to grow the game. That should indeed be there primary goal at the moment, but rules and legal concerns need not go undiscussed either imo. Just not at the expense of growing the game.

We need boots on the ground to grow the game. But we need to provide an online support for them. We need a place they can easily access the rules to different formats and see where tournaments are being held. Currently, the format rules are difficult to find and tournaments have no place to announce themselves.

December 15, 2009, 06:29:09 AM
Reply #4

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:38:04 AM by HawkeyeSPF »

December 15, 2009, 07:42:27 AM
Reply #5

Kenddrick

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 07:42:27 AM »
How about we get together a marketing commitee first? It will seem more organised and efficient that way.

December 15, 2009, 08:02:18 AM
Reply #6

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:02:18 AM »
I agree with Hawk too. If we want things to be done, everyone should do so in their own environment. For me, I try to get older players back in the game. In the Netherlands, there were quite a few very good players, and and a few cities had large player groups with like 30-50 players. In January I will be hosting a tournament with a gameshop owner where also a former D-agent and judge will come. I have close contact with another gameshop owner too, which is the largest in the Netherlands, and one of the biggest in Europe so it seems, and he is enthousiastic as well.

What I could do, allthough it would take a some effort, but I will try to next week, among all the other tasks I have to do, is to contact all the gameshops in the Netherlands I can find, to try to find out how many players they have known and whether they could somehow get back in though with them. I could make some flyers for stores as well....

Well I will see what I can do.
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

December 15, 2009, 08:10:17 AM
Reply #7

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:10:17 AM »
Maybe so, but without players, there's no need for a PC - so why don't we just put a lot of these grand plans everyone seems to have on hold for a while and put all of our efforts towards building the player base - both online and in real life.
I 100% agree with that.

December 15, 2009, 08:21:24 AM
Reply #8

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 08:21:24 AM »
Send me pictures from your events and I'll post them on my site!

December 15, 2009, 08:23:05 AM
Reply #9

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 08:23:05 AM »
Send me pictures from your events and I'll post them on my site!

What site is that? I'm not familiar with it for some reason...

PS. Thanks for posting the images and tournament items!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:27:36 AM by jerba »

December 15, 2009, 08:23:43 AM
Reply #10

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 08:23:43 AM »
Hawk, what is your site?
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

December 15, 2009, 08:29:15 AM
Reply #11

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman

December 15, 2009, 08:44:15 AM
Reply #12

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 08:44:15 AM »
Btw, just send an email to cardexchange.com, maybe they know a lot of (former) players. We could do the same to the powersellers of lotr on Ebay. Wild Thing Games, wholesalegaming etc. We could ask them that if someone purchases lotr products, they are willing to refer to this site, in the sense: there are more people like you.

December 15, 2009, 08:46:29 AM
Reply #13

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 08:46:29 AM »
Double Post, but we had a lotr Google map, didn't we? So you could locate other players as well?

December 15, 2009, 12:24:02 PM
Reply #14

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 12:24:02 PM »
Hawkeye - I agree with what you have to say as the proposed PC has only been marketing the game for a short time - and with success. But there are two ways of looking at it.

On one side - we lack the support to formalise the entire PC - and marketing the game is working well with an expanding player base. The league is generating interest and it even seems some players are getting tournaments happening.

On the other side - formalising some apsects of the PC gives structure that can be built on. New strategies for marketing the game, establishing tournaments with support (not v-cards, but supporting material to promote and scorecards etc) and so on ....

Will the PC pitch the idea to Decipher on Warren's terms or ours? I suspect it will be Deciphers, and if that is the case the PC really should have something to present to him when the time comes (we have 3-4 months assuming the second quarter next year equals April, perhaps a little longer). Whether it be formally electing a chairman or not, or forming teams to tackle some of the challenges ahead of us, the PC will have to act (beyond marketing) at some point.

I was active in a minor capacity on these boards when the PC was discussed in the past and was disappointed to see it go away for awhile. I would be disappointed to see it go away again with the progress that has been made.

Thanks for the links by the way. Is there a way of making these more accessible on this site for prospective tournament directors to use. I have nothing to run a tournament. If they are already available on this site I am yet to find them.

This is not a criticism of TLHH but a suggestion for improvement (if it can happen). It took me a long time before i found half of the stuff available for download on this site (GCCG, Zorbec's etc). Perhaps the links to resources could be made more obvious rather than within a forum that new players may or may not check.

Oh - one last thing - Star Trek CC is the best run PC in my opinion. They have just under 1000 members (active or not), TLHH is approaching 500 (active or not). IMO, the PC will only ever support a small group of fans.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:28:01 PM by chompers »

December 15, 2009, 12:26:06 PM
Reply #15

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 12:26:06 PM »
One last thing, this is not a criticism of TLHH but a suggestion for improvement (if it can happen). It took me a long time before i found half of the stuff available for download on this site (GCCG, Zorbec's etc). Perhaps the links to resources could be made more obvious rather than within a forum that new players may or may not check.

QFT. This is important.

December 15, 2009, 12:28:14 PM
Reply #16

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 12:28:14 PM »
http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,991.0.html...there are most of them ;-) But I agree they could be more obvious.

December 15, 2009, 12:33:31 PM
Reply #17

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 12:33:31 PM »
I know everybody's excited about getting the PC together and all, especially after the note from Warren, but if you don't take things one step at a time, things are going to fall apart - ok? This isn't a case of "if you build it, they will come."

One step at a time still implies that another step is taken at some point - when is this going to happen - and who will decide. We need a leader IMO, assuming we have the right person for the job. If we don't then we are hoping to attract one with marketing ... this seems ambitious.

"If you build it, theyt will come" - Not sure about this, once the PC is formally established, I anticipate the player base will expand faster than it currently is.

Care is the key idea here - we must not rush things - but seriously, discussion on a PC can only go so far and I have heard rumours this has been 2 years in the making.

Just my thoughts - they may be right or wrong.

December 15, 2009, 12:39:50 PM
Reply #18

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »
...assuming the second quarter next year equals April...

aw, c'mon, you know how Decipher's calendars work, don't you? Second Quarter 2010 really means this time next year at the earliest.

December 15, 2009, 01:35:50 PM
Reply #19

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 01:35:50 PM »
Increasing the player base is also my main aim, being in the UK we have a very small player base.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

December 15, 2009, 02:35:53 PM
Reply #20

Dogbert

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »
While I agree that a full slate of managers is putting the cart before the horse, there has to be some structure defined in order to formalize a proposal. The only items on this list that are absolutely necessary prior to approval from Decipher are (a) and (B), and thus those are the two things to focus on as far as the PC is concerned. Grassroots efforts to build up the player base is good, but trying to bring in new players with promises of a PC before Decipher approves said PC isn't a great idea.

December 15, 2009, 08:42:13 PM
Reply #21

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 08:42:13 PM »
I fully support the marketing push for TLHH, GCCG and LOTR TCG in general.

I hope to re-establish the player base in Sydney Australia. Our current playing group numbers 3-4 with several other players that play infrequently and I will be introducing a new player to GCCG in January (I hope he likes it).

If the proposed PC can wait it out while we promote the game - when do we revisit the concept of formalising it, and forming a formal pitch to put to Decipher. Decipher are a professional organisation (be it with some current issues) and they are not going to hand-over their game to a disorganised group of fans. Be it 3 months or 9 months time before the PC speaks to Decipher, or even longer ... at some point the proposed PC has to move forward (or .... there will be no PC :()

December 15, 2009, 08:56:41 PM
Reply #22

Kenddrick

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »
I fully support the marketing push for TLHH, GCCG and LOTR TCG in general.

I agree with Chompers, I propose we set up a PC, and for now we focus only on the marketing aspect, which is the Magazine and other forms of promoting LotR: TCG.

December 15, 2009, 09:08:51 PM
Reply #23

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »
don't get me wrong chompers, i completely agree that there must be some organization, i just don't think that anybody needs to be thinking about erratas, x-listings, rules, v-cards, or anything of the sort until we get some more people playing the game.

i think we can go about finding new players and bringing back ones who left in the past while we get a basic infrastructure set up. somebody talked about having a website for new and returning players to gather at - one that offers them tools (like a player locator, a tournament listing and ratings system, a centralized download center, etc) in addition to great forums like we have here at TLHH - Kralik?

certainly, we can expect that every player (new or returning, or even current!) will enjoy a different type of meta or format. some may want new erratas and clarifications to a lot of the cards from Hunters onward, and some may want their player base to be able to play with the cards exactly as printed. we need to be able to accomodate for both groups. in that sense, it may be wise to have a team in place who are able to come up with, playtest, and publish unofficial errata for various formats. that said, it might be easier in the early goings to just let player groups come up with and use their own house rules until the PC is able to get off the ground and create official publications for all the various formats.

i've got nothing against the magazine idea, i just don't know how often you could publish something like that, no matter how many players there were and how many formats were being played. like i've said though, it is all about getting the word out there and spreading the game, so more power to you! somebody should definitely write something up about the FotR League everybody's been enjoying on GCCG for the first issue!

December 16, 2009, 12:06:55 AM
Reply #24

Kenddrick

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 12:06:55 AM »
Somebody should definitely write something up about the FotR League everybody's been enjoying on GCCG for the first issue!

Good point. Now we have more articles for the Magazine. I've alreaady written one by the way. Do check and give your views. :)

December 16, 2009, 01:51:09 AM
Reply #25

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 01:51:09 AM »
I would be interested to know if Kralik has the capacity to expand what is on offer at TLHH. I mean no disprespect, because this website is fantastic, but if possible it would be nice if there were accessable resources that would easily be downloaded (tournament support, etc). Nothing that infringes copyright as I know Kralik is wary of that - and fair enough. I also realise that Kralik is busy with a young family (and having one myself I understand the difficulty of juggling hobbies, work and family life).

Essentially, what I am asking is .... is there any chance that TLHH can add some quick links to valuable resources (GCCG, Zorbecs) and also downloadable materials to support tournaments.

If possible - it would be nice to have this available on outside of the forums - where it can be easily accessed.

December 16, 2009, 02:30:39 AM
Reply #26

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 02:30:39 AM »
Tried to respond 2 times, gave me an error both times...grrr, there went my effort.

I have had contact with Arco, the manager from www.cardexchange.com, and he is adding us to the website. He is also willing to add flyers to all the orders from lotr cards, so customers know we excist.

I agree with Hawk in a lot that he is saying. No matter what my input will be, bringing players back or new players in, is the main concern. Organizing small tournaments, contacting shopowners and such, is a way to do this.

From a marketing point of view, I think it would be good to have a new website. I know people who could build one, but maybe there are members that are willing to contribute. Why a new website? Kralik has provided us with this, and it is good! It should stay no matter what, but I guess a website could offer more oversight. What should be the content of this site (imho)?

- Introducing LotR. What is the book/movie relation with the game, what is a TCG? How is it played?
- Decipher introduced new sets with an article, in which an preview was given in what to expect. We could break every set down in an article, describing what is to be expected and to give some simple deck ideas, that are totally worked out, with which especially new players could see, what is possible.
- A link to the forum, as a part of the website
- Players per country and how to contact, so new players can see whether there are players in their surrounding.
- Downloads. Simple overview from the possible programs that are available. GCCG, SDA, Lakey, Zorbec and others.

I would say that www.thelasthomelyhouse.org is the way to go!

No offense to Kralik in any way, and he knows it! He is our hero for making this forum and giving us a place. But I think, especially for newbees, it can be hard to find your way through this site and trying to learn LotR.

Just my 2 cents

December 16, 2009, 03:39:48 AM
Reply #27

Kenddrick

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 03:39:48 AM »
Apparently Ranfoer is doing a new website. I have to release this document to you all now that we have reached a stage where everyone is involved.

http://kewlshare.com/dl/24fd42596189/LORD_OF_THE_RINGS_PC_PLAN.doc.html

December 16, 2009, 12:06:44 PM
Reply #28

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 12:06:44 PM »
Whilst I gave what I believe is the whole picture of the proposed PC at the start of this forum - I never said that every aspect has to be acted on immediately. What I foresee as the biggest stumbling block for the proposed PC is that the current group is fractured. There are lots of ideas out there and if there are two or three or more small subgroups all acting indepedently of each other we may end up with two or three or more small PCs. Everyones ideas are fantastic, the work everyone is putting in is fantastic, but we need leadership and a framework to continue - IMO.

Providing a structure and framework for this project, no matter how small or big it may end up, is a major challenge in itself.

It has been suggested by many that we need to market (its happening), we need a website (it may be happening?), we need rules support (it happens through TLHH forums, but it should expand), we need tournaments (the league helps with GCCG, but also with real cards, we need support material).

We also need a plan and accepted guidance (leadership, management, this seems beyond us at the moment).

The roles above will change as the PC changes.

What we don't need is v-cards, and anything that changes the game extensively, until the PC evolves to a point where it is accepted. I think most believe in this basic model, give or take a bit.

But, if the PC is not going to tackle some of the serious issues with the game (errata cards, r and x lists, etc), and provide a framework for continuing players to play the game (through structured tournaments, rules support), and perhaps expand the game (v-cards) .... then there is no need for a PC (IMO).

If the PC is going to pitch an idea to Decipher - I see no reason that they should not pitch the idea to them showing what we are capable of and hope to achieve (and providing examples of v-cards would be part of this - they need to know that we have people on board capable of doing so.

Just my daily ramblings ....

December 16, 2009, 12:30:50 PM
Reply #29

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »
^ Completely agree.

December 19, 2009, 12:09:41 AM
Reply #30

Kenddrick

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 12:09:41 AM »
It has been suggested by many that we need to market (its happening), we need a website (it may be happening?), we need rules support (it happens through TLHH forums, but it should expand), we need tournaments (the league helps with GCCG, but also with real cards, we need support material).

So let us start electing a leader, and then we can get started on marketing and website-creation! Come on!

December 19, 2009, 12:35:30 AM
Reply #31

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 12:35:30 AM »
I am ready to move to the next level with the proposed PC but i understand others point of view that we should wait to continue to expand the player base through promotion of this site, GCCG and the game in general.

Also, the only way we can elect a leader is if we have someone willing to volunteer to take on such a role, but more importantly someone with the skills that is capable of doing so.

When we are truly ready as a united group, i would encourage someone to step forward and state their case as leader (chairman of the PC). The leader of the PC should IMO have a love of the game, alot of time, good management and people skills, and perhaps also should be located in a country with a similar timezone to where other volunteers exist such as USA, UK, etc.

In the absence of a leader, perhaps the proposed PC can still move forward. We have a marketing forum where people can post their ideas and tell of their successes.

As for the website, i will create a thread and see if any discussion starts.

I will also create a tournament thread and see what happens with that.