LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Ents and Wizzardry, as inspired by the Galdor420 deck  (Read 4451 times)

May 13, 2013, 02:21:38 PM
Read 4451 times

Odin

• Information Offline
  • Orc
Ents and Wizzardry, as inspired by the Galdor420 deck
« on: May 13, 2013, 02:21:38 PM »
Starting:
Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir
The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry
Huorn x2

Fellowship: 34

Gandalf, Mithrandir x4
Radagast, The Brown x2
Lindenroot, Elder Shepherd x2
Treebeard, Keeper of the Watchwood x2
Bounder
Glamdring
Sting
Gandalf's Staff, Walking Stick
Wizard Staff
A Wizard Is Never Late x2
Saved From the Fire x2
Fireworks x2
Sent Back x2
Enraged x3
Out of the High Airs
Staff Asunder
Roll of Thunder
Crack into Rubble
Moment of Respite
Terrible and Evil

Strategy: At a first glance, a starting fellowship consisting of Frodo accompanied by two trees (note: TREES, aka. NOT ents) in the form of Huorns may seem counterproductive for a deck concept based on ents and wizardry. Apart from the wrong keyword (and because of it!), their potential is further reduced because the accompanied gametext doesn't trigger/encourage one another, leaving you with a ringbearer and two lousy bodyguards. As discussed by Galdor420, the idea is to use them in a strategic sacrifice using Saved From the Fire, allowing the exchange of companions for deck control.

A Wizard Is Never Late, Fireworks and Saved from the Fire provide the backbone of the deck and sets up your fellowship. Mithrandir can be used without worries concerning the wounds associated with his game text because of Saved From the Fire and Sent Back. In case of emergency, use your deck/card control to play Moment of Respite.
Roll of Thunder, Crack into Rubble and Treebeard, Keeper of the Watchwood counter nasty trixess like grond and what not. Depending on your opponent, use your deck control to maneuver the situation. Staff Asunder, Terrible and Evil are partly chosen for the meta, partly to fit the theme of wizardry in the making.

With beasty companions, wizardry trixees and Out of the High Airs now run.

The somewhat peculiar choice of Lindenroot, Elder Sheperd and Moment of Respite: CYCLING. My plan is to combine the fellowship with a wringwraith corruption-based shadow. Motivation: It seems that wringwraith corruption relies on a few welldefined blows straight at the ringbearer, which in return require specific card combinations. My belief/thought is that these cards in combination with fell beasts will provide the cycling necessary.

Thoughts and comments?

May 14, 2013, 10:13:46 AM
Reply #1

Eukalyptus

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Ents and Wizzardry, as inspired by the Galdor420 deck
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:13:46 AM »
Cut Mithrandir and use Leader of Men so you can start Gandalf rightaway. Saved has to be 4x in the deck. A Barliman and Albert won't hurt either. Greed kills you. The more you filter with Saved, the more your shadow will have those key combos at hand. Plus, Morgul Skulker works way better then.

May 14, 2013, 03:18:17 PM
Reply #2

Grond

• Information Offline
  • Scout

May 16, 2013, 08:49:21 AM
Reply #3

Galdor420

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 08:49:21 AM »
I approve! so happy to inspire others, I take it as a great compliment :) Mithrandir is an obviously nice choice for this deck. The only thing I could suggest is that you switch 1 copy of Lindenroot and 1 copy of Treebeard for 2 more A Wizard Is Never Late (or maybe 1 then 1 more Radagast). It will increase your versatility without effecting your ability to play those companions early. You need to make sure you draw Gandalf early in this deck because you don't start with him, but once you do those cards are still useful for getting out your other companions. Also I would suggest at least 1 copy of Trust me as you once did. It's a great on the table buff that can save frodo's life (even though it's only +2 in your deck it's still worth it I think). Good luck!

P.S. Pro-tip: Remember to play your dead wizards in the regroup, especially if you are not moving again. That way, you pretty much play them again for free :)

@ Eukalyptus: The idea is to use saved from the fire on extra companions so as to never have more than 5.

May 16, 2013, 09:56:13 PM
Reply #4

Haszor

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 09:56:13 PM »
Cut Mithrandir and use Leader of Men so you can start Gandalf rightaway. Saved has to be 4x in the deck. A Barliman and Albert won't hurt either. Greed kills you. The more you filter with Saved, the more your shadow will have those key combos at hand. Plus, Morgul Skulker works way better then.
Greed could be problematic if he doesn't have Roll of Thunder in hand, but even so, it's an expensive card to use (I know it's an ent deck, but still...)  As for Gandalf, I'd say start one copy of Leader of Men, and have the rest be Mithrandir, that way you don't have to worry about drawing him for your events, but you'll also keep the strength of Mithrandir around in case you need it.

May 18, 2013, 12:14:15 PM
Reply #5

Grond

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
I approve! so happy to inspire others, I take it as a great compliment :) Mithrandir is an obviously nice choice for this deck. The only thing I could suggest is that you switch 1 copy of Lindenroot and 1 copy of Treebeard for 2 more A Wizard Is Never Late (or maybe 1 then 1 more Radagast). It will increase your versatility without effecting your ability to play those companions early. You need to make sure you draw Gandalf early in this deck because you don't start with him, but once you do those cards are still useful for getting out your other companions. Also I would suggest at least 1 copy of Trust me as you once did. It's a great on the table buff that can save frodo's life (even though it's only +2 in your deck it's still worth it I think). Good luck!

P.S. Pro-tip: Remember to play your dead wizards in the regroup, especially if you are not moving again. That way, you pretty much play them again for free :)

@ Eukalyptus: The idea is to use saved from the fire on extra companions so as to never have more than 5.

Another cool tip is the synergy between Sent Back and Treebeard with a wizard. Also there is something i found myself doing every game :
At site 6 with radagast in play you go to 9. The best thing is that you can use your sent back with radagast to discard a huge minion and prevent your opponent clearing his hand in regroup, WITHOUT losing the +1 move limit bonus. You are keeping it even if radagast is no longer in play!