LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fortress Never Fallen  (Read 2240 times)

July 07, 2017, 10:07:35 PM
Read 2240 times

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Fortress Never Fallen
« on: July 07, 2017, 10:07:35 PM »
Question: When you play a copy of Fortress Never Fallen can you leave that sit on the table as long as you want to keep stacking tokens on it? It has a regroup action that says: Discard a shadow condition for each  [Rohan] token here. Discard this condition.

I was not sure for some reason that if you played it in your fellowship phase that when you come to your regroup phase within that same turn you had to make use of it and discard it right away. If you can leave it for X amount of turns and then decide to use it, I assume by the text you remove all conditions you have tokens for because if you have say 5 tokens built up but you only remove one condition you still have to get rid of the condition thus wasting the other 4 tokens is this correct?

Sadly at the moment I only have one copy of it and thus I like to make the best use of it.

July 08, 2017, 12:07:54 AM
Reply #1

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: Fortress Never Fallen
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:07:54 AM »
The answer to your question is really simple:

Quote from the rules:
During the regroup phase, players may perform regroup actions (special abilities on cards in play with "Regroup:" and events with that keyword) using the action procedure.

Detailled answer:
Special Abilities:
Besides events, other types of cards may have a phase action as a part of their game text called a special ability, which may be used only while the card is in play. (The boldfaced word defines when you may do so.)

Each special ability is optional; you don't have to use it if you don't want to. You may use each special ability as many times as you like (even repeatedly during the same phase), as long as you meet the requirements for it and pay its costs.

Phase Actions:
During each phase of a turn, one or more players are allowed to perform phase actions that use a word matching the name of that phase. These words are printed in boldface and followed by a colon.

Each phase action lasts for the duration of the phase named in the boldface word (unless otherwise specified).
The effects of a phase action with the keyword Skirmish: last only for the skirmish phase in which it is used.

Each phase action must be completely performed before another phase action can be performed. Phase actions cannot be combined.

An action labeled with the word "Response:" is not a phase action. Responses are explained later in this rulebook.

If Decipher wants you to discard it in a special phase they would use another wording like: At the beginning of the XYZ Phase discard a shadow condition for each  Rohan token here. Discard this condition.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:22:23 AM by Enabran »

July 08, 2017, 12:42:35 AM
Reply #2

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 12:42:35 AM »
The answer to your question is really simple:

Quote from the rules:
During the regroup phase, players may perform regroup actions (special abilities on cards in play with "Regroup:" and events with that keyword) using the action procedure.

Detailled answer:
Special Abilities:
Besides events, other types of cards may have a phase action as a part of their game text called a special ability, which may be used only while the card is in play. (The boldfaced word defines when you may do so.)

Each special ability is optional; you don't have to use it if you don't want to. You may use each special ability as many times as you like (even repeatedly during the same phase), as long as you meet the requirements for it and pay its costs.

Phase Actions:
During each phase of a turn, one or more players are allowed to perform phase actions that use a word matching the name of that phase. These words are printed in boldface and followed by a colon.

Each phase action lasts for the duration of the phase named in the boldface word (unless otherwise specified).
The effects of a phase action with the keyword Skirmish: last only for the skirmish phase in which it is used.

Each phase action must be completely performed before another phase action can be performed. Phase actions cannot be combined.

An action labeled with the word "Response:" is not a phase action. Responses are explained later in this rulebook.

If Decipher wants you to discard it in a special phase they would use another wording like: At the beginning of the XYZ Phase discard a shadow condition for each  Rohan token here. Discard this condition.

So if I got you correct my simple answer is: Yes I can keep building tokens up on the condition without using the Regroup: Action until I am ready to use it. However when I am ready to use it I must (according to the text) discard every shadow condition I can for the amount of tokens I have built up at that point, then discard that condition?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:45:42 AM by Larry5000 »

July 08, 2017, 01:53:38 AM
Reply #3

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 01:53:38 AM »
no *g*

I call it the "do as much as you can rule"

Quote from Effect:
If the effect of a card or special ability requires you to perform an action and you cannot, you must perform as much as you can and ignore the rest. (See limit.)
If the effect of an event requires you to discard 2 cards from your hand and you only have 1 card in hand, just discard the 1 card and ignore the rest.

The wording here is: Discard a shadow condition for each Rohan token here. Discard this condition.

Your named card is from Set 4. It is an old card...
It would be better if the wording would be: Discard this condition to discard a shadow condition for each Rohan token here.
Discarding your condition would be clearly the cost and discarding the shadow condition would be the effect.

July 08, 2017, 02:09:23 AM
Reply #4

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 02:09:23 AM »
no *g*

I call it the "do as much as you can rule"

Quote from Effect:
If the effect of a card or special ability requires you to perform an action and you cannot, you must perform as much as you can and ignore the rest. (See limit.)
If the effect of an event requires you to discard 2 cards from your hand and you only have 1 card in hand, just discard the 1 card and ignore the rest.

The wording here is: Discard a shadow condition for each Rohan token here. Discard this condition.

Your named card is from Set 4. It is an old card...
It would be better if the wording would be: Discard this condition to discard a shadow condition for each Rohan token here.
Discarding your condition would be clearly the cost and discarding the shadow condition would be the effect.

Ok I believe I got it, thanks.