LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Some questions from far away  (Read 7955 times)

August 09, 2010, 10:49:48 AM
Read 7955 times

MonK

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • I can win
Some questions from far away
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:49:48 AM »
Hello. I'm from Russia, Ryazan city. This is bad for me, 'cause I really like this game, but it's so difficult to get cards here. Especially now, when Desipher stopped game supporting. There one more problem: noone can tell me here what to do in some game situations, that's why I ask you to help with several issues:

1. Yesterday we played with my friend. We used cards from Movie block and sites from Return of the King block. Sorry, I don't actually know what is the name of that format. He plays Southron Assassin and one other minion against my fellowship. I didn't have any ring-bound companions except Frodo with 2 wounds on him. I lost 2 skirmishes against southron and Frodo dies. Is it so simple to win against totally unbound fellowship with this card? How can I prevent Frodo's death when I see Southron Assassin?

2. I played minion with 6 strength & +2 strength possession on him. My friend decided to use •Elven Rope against him. Can he do it? If yes, where I should place my possession from that minion? If no, what to do with possession in same situation if minion with it still have strength 6 or less?

3. Comprehensive Rulebook 4.0 says "Skirmishes involving the Ring-bearer cannot be cancelled. If Frodo is the Ring-bearer, you cannot use Frodo's Cloak to cancel his skirmish ("...add a burden and discard Frodo's Cloak to cancel a skirmish involving Frodo.")" What about •O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!? Is it can't cancel skirmish involving Ring-bearer too? And if we'll use only Fellowship of the Ring block cards in decks, are the events like Hobbit Intuition will not work in skirmishes involving the Ring-bearer?

4. Is Stand Against Darkness the legal card? It can discard Sauron. Is it OK? Or is it x-listed and I missed it?

5. What is the "Generic Collectable Card Game"? Something like LOTR TCG online? Can I play online with that program for free? How to get started with it and use to play?

6. And finally for now: does anybody know where I can buy cards with shipping to Russia? I have not so many physical cards. Me and my friend want more for wider latitude, but don't know any place except ebay where we can buy it.

That's all questions for now. Sorry for inconclusive subject. I hope you will answer me. Thanks a lot.
Sorry for my poor english.

August 09, 2010, 11:36:57 AM
Reply #1

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Some questions from far away
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »
1. It is. But you can just kill him. Oh, and The Witch-King, LotN is even worse. Much worse.

2. No, he cannot use Elven Rope, as the new modified strength is 8.

3. There's an agreement about canceling skirmishes. When you play FotR Block, Towers Block or Towers Standard, you can use the abilities to cancels the Ring-Bearer's skirmishes.

4. Of course it is legal: What if your opponent doesn't have any  [Sauron] cards in his deck? If you don't play Cirdan or Lady redeemed, this card is mostly useless. Unless you fear to get overwhelmed by dead ones... ;)

5. Yes, something like lotr online, just for free. You can read more details here.

6. Take a look at this.

August 09, 2010, 11:39:20 AM
Reply #2

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:39:20 AM »
Welcome!

A couple more details about 1 and 2:

1) By having Frodo wear The One Ring, Frodo would take burdens instead of the wounds, so he would survive.  Plus, Southron Assassin is not a very big minion, so beating him or killing him off so the other player cannot make use of his text would also not be too difficult.

2)  At the time Elven Rope is used the minion's strength is 8, so the minion would not be returned to your hand.  By default, when a minion does leave the table, possessions on that minion are discarded.

August 09, 2010, 11:40:31 AM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:40:31 AM »
1. Put on the Ring, if possible.

You can buy my collection if you want to.
-wtk

August 09, 2010, 12:21:12 PM
Reply #4

MonK

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • I can win
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »
Thanks a lot for all your answers! They are very useful and clear.

Witchkingx5, thank very much for links. Now I need to read and understand all the information there. :-)

Tbiesty, thanks for welcome. I thought about wearing the ring as the way to escape Frodo's death, it could be the best when I can't kill Southron Assassin.

ket_the_jet, why do you sell it? How many cards in your collection? And what is the price?

August 09, 2010, 12:40:37 PM
Reply #5

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 12:40:37 PM »
Trade/Sell list in my signature.

Not much. I am selling everything except for my near-foiled decks.
-wtk

August 10, 2010, 12:53:02 AM
Reply #6

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:53:02 AM »
Trade/Sell list in my signature.
-wtk

It's not ;)

EDIT: Only the mahatasman one... wothout any autolinkers etc...

August 10, 2010, 02:04:47 AM
Reply #7

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 02:04:47 AM »
Try looking at his sig.

August 12, 2010, 12:16:41 PM
Reply #8

Malachi

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 12:16:41 PM »
Dude, come and try Gccg - it's free and extremely easy to play!

August 13, 2010, 08:50:34 AM
Reply #9

MonK

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • I can win
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »
ket_the_jet, thanks. I'll think about it.

Malachi, of course I'll do it soon. :-) I told about this game to my friend, I think he'll join it too.

By the way, where can I find the rules for all playing formats?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:59:57 AM by MonK »

August 13, 2010, 09:46:41 AM
Reply #10

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »

August 14, 2010, 12:48:30 AM
Reply #11

MonK

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • I can win
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 12:48:30 AM »
Thanks a lot. I want to try all of this. :-) Unfortunately I haven't cards from sets 11 and higher.

August 14, 2010, 12:53:25 AM
Reply #12

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 12:53:25 AM »
That's the least problem. Many players just use cards from sets 1-10, it's called Movie block and (outside of Europe) definitely the most played format. So you're good to go with those cards you have ;)

October 05, 2010, 01:04:26 PM
Reply #13

MonK

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • I can win
About common ring
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 01:04:26 PM »
Excuse me for so stupid question. Can I choose to not put on The Ruling Ring if Ring-bearer is about to take a wound or I must put it on even if I don't want to?

October 05, 2010, 01:06:17 PM
Reply #14

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 01:06:17 PM »
Excuse me for so stupid question. Can I choose to not put on The Ruling Ring if Ring-bearer is about to take a wound or I must put it on even if I don't want to?
You don't have to put it on.  Every "Response" is optional.

October 06, 2010, 01:48:49 AM
Reply #15

MonK

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • I can win
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 01:48:49 AM »
Tbiesty, thanks a lot.

December 11, 2010, 01:16:31 AM
Reply #16

MonK

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • I can win
New questions
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 01:16:31 AM »
Several new questions:

1. 3-players game. Archery phase with minions from both Shadow players. Must Free Peoples player choose only one Shadow player who assigns archery wounds to his minions? Even if fellowship archery total is 3 and Free Peoples player chooses Shadow player with one minion with 1 vitality, does other Shadow player's minions still will not take wounds during archery phase?

2. Can I transfer condition bearing by Free Peoples character to another character who can bear that condition too?

3. Can I as a Shadow player play events, posessions, artifacts etc. to other Shadow players's minions?

4. If assigned to skirmish companion dies before that skirmish resolving (for example by threats), what must minion in this skirmish do? There is no more assignment phase, so that minion can't be reassigned, correct? And that minion didn't win this skirmish, it's like I did cancel that skirmish, right?

5. Does a minion with Ambush and Fierce adding twilight tokens with both assignments?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:30:38 AM by MonK »

December 11, 2010, 04:27:09 AM
Reply #17

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 04:27:09 AM »
Answers:

Quote from: Rulebook - Archery Fire
The Free Peoples player chooses one Shadow player who must assign a number of wounds equal to the fellowship archery total to his minions, in any way he wishes.

You choose one Shadow player and he assigns wounds to his minions only. If there is extra archery left, it misses. It's like you chose your archers to fire upon a selected group of enemies. If they shoot more arrows then is necessary to kill them, those leftover arrows won't change their direction just so they're not wasted.

2. No. Conditions cannot be transferred unless they specifically say so (such as Stern Words).

Quote from: Rulebook - Playing Shadow Cards
A Shadow player cannot play a Shadow artifact, condition, possession or follower on another Shadow player's minion or follower or to another player's support area. However, Shadow cards may give bonuses or other game effects to other players' Shadow cards, and Shadow players may play events for other
players' Shadow cards as appropriate.  

Note that you may use (and exert) another player's character to pay a cost for your Shadow card or special ability.

4. In a way, yes, it is as though a skirmish has been canceled. That is also the best way to use Merry, LG and Pippin, WFR. Use their abilities during another character's skirmish. That way you won't suffer the effects of losing a skirmish (such as from Lord of the Nazgul)

5. Yes, so long as Free Peoples player does the assignment.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

December 11, 2010, 07:21:56 AM
Reply #18

MonK

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • I can win
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 07:21:56 AM »
Thanks for your answers.

That is also the best way to use Merry, LG and Pippin, WFR. Use their abilities during another character's skirmish. That way you won't suffer the effects of losing a skirmish (such as from Lord of the Nazgul)

If I'll use Merry's ability during _his_ skirmish, shall I suffer the effects of losing a skirmish?

December 11, 2010, 07:39:35 AM
Reply #19

hrcho

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • One does not simply Rock into Mordor.
    • My trade list
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2010, 07:39:35 AM »
Yes. If a character is removed from a skirmish involving him, that character is a losing character even if his side wins the skirmish after his removal.

Consider this:

1 Orc and 1 Man, 10 strength each are skirmishing Boromir bearing Blade of Gondor. Boromir uses Blade of Gondor ability to wound and kill the orc and then loses the skirmish against the Man minion. Boromir is a losing character, but so is the orc, because he was removed from the skirmish. The Man minion is the sole winner of the skirmish.
Some days you're the statue, and some days you're the pigeon.

Trade List (TLHH)
Trade List (Mahasamatman)

December 15, 2010, 11:51:43 PM
Reply #20

MonK

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • I can win
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 11:51:43 PM »
Thanks.