LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Templates for new LOTR-inspired game  (Read 6189 times)

May 08, 2014, 08:22:06 AM
Read 6189 times

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
  • Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
Templates for new LOTR-inspired game
« on: May 08, 2014, 08:22:06 AM »
Most of you know me from my (mostly failed) efforts to get a 2nd edition of LOTR TCG off the ground. I've realigned my focus to a new IP and rule set inspired by LOTR TCG mechanics and would like feedback on some custom templates. I'm developing. These templates are intended to have similar functionality, but with some different elements that won't infringe on Decipher's design.

Here's a mockup of character and non-character templates for the Aristocracy faction. It still needs polish, but feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:25:47 AM by Hobbiton Lad »

May 08, 2014, 06:11:26 PM
Reply #1

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
Re: Templates for new LOTR-inspired game
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »
How are you going about the art?
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

May 09, 2014, 12:51:23 AM
Reply #2

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:51:23 AM »
The art for this template is something I put together from some stock photos. Once the game has been playtested, I'll likely do a Kickstarter to raise enough funds to finish production, which means hiring illustrators to create card art.

May 09, 2014, 12:03:42 PM
Reply #3

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 12:03:42 PM »
So I guess the important question is, what are you changing about the game?  Setting is obvious, "Chaos" and "Order" instead of Shadow and Free Peoples; Fiend = Minion, Guardian = Companion, Effect = Condition, Ploy = Event, Expend = Exert, Injury = Wound, Priority = Initiative?, but these are all just name changes (and some of them are definitely a downgrade).  There are some fundamental parts of the game that first off could use fixing, and second off you would need to change to avoid potential copyright issues (a game "heavily inspired by" another is one thing, but what you've shown us may as well have just been an alternate template of a LotR-TCG card).

Also, I don't know how much research you've done into how much thought went into the mechanics, but literally every single action, concept, and attribute were exhaustively thought out (for Fellowship, at least)  and designed on a high level before cards were ever considered; a "top-down" approach.  That seems to be the pitfall that everyone falls into when I look at the dream cards or the Hobbit TCG or what have you; people come up with individual card concepts or templates and then try to fit them together, a "bottom-up" approach.  There appears to be some sort of work in that general direction from what I've seen on the 2e forums, but it smacks to me of people imitating what they've heard designers say and not actual solid design work.

I suppose I can't offer further criticism without understanding the mechanical and setting changes you've cooked up.  I can't really offer anything meaningful on the card templates you've shown us (especially since any criticism would be moot since A: you've stated it's a prototype and B: without a solid game, I'd be leading you in the wrong direction by focusing on it), except that the culture symbol used in text is not a vector; all of the culture symbols in LotR-TCG were designed as vectors so they could be used both in text and in the corner of cards; with yours I can't see the resemblance between the two.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

May 09, 2014, 01:03:03 PM
Reply #4

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »
First off, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm always willing and eager to listen to meaningful input.

As far as the game mechanics go, it is not a carbon copy. The game text you see above it just for template purposes. Obviously I want to work on the macro level first. It's important to get the basic rules to a solid point before creating cards that exploit, circumvent or break them.

To give you an idea of the new game, here's a brief rundown of some of the larger changes:

- A new magic phase is being introduced

- As you can see, characters now have four attributes instead of three. Some of these attributes will vary among characters. Right now the attributes I'm implementing are Magic, Command and Influence. Some cards will have an either/or cost depending on the attributes involved.

(Example: You have a spell in your hand that has an action cost. You can either add 3 (or remove 3 if a Chaos card) to the action pool to play it OR you can exert a character that has Magic ability to reduce the cost of the card by the number of ability points that character has. So if your spell costs 3 and you expend (exert) a character has has 2 Magic, then the spell only costs 1 to play.)

- Having priority (initiative) really matters. After the Chaos (Shadow) phase the game proceeds to the Variable Stage, which means the player with priority gets to choose which phase (Ranged, Magic, Tactical, Combat) happens first. The choice of phase then alternates between players until all variable stage phases are complete. I'm also toying with the order of phase actions being determined by who has priority instead of always allowing the Order (Free Peoples) player to go first. In this way, the idea is to use priority as a means to have an overall effect on basic game play decisions, but not have it be so micro-manageable that it can be abused, as was the case in LOTR TCG with some cards that you could keep triggering as you lost and regained initiative.

- There is a new mechanic called Fate. Each player begins the game with 5 fate tokens. There will never be more than 10 fate tokens. As you play cards or use abilities that have a fate cost, fate tokens are transferred to your opponent rather than simply spent. So you can depend on good fortune to keep you going, but the more you use up your fate points, the more you risk tipping the balance to your opponent's favor. Fate-based cards will likely be some of the most powerful (and consequently most sparse) cards in the game.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:07:32 PM by Hobbiton Lad »

May 09, 2014, 01:06:03 PM
Reply #5

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
the culture symbol used in text is not a vector; all of the culture symbols in LotR-TCG were designed as vectors so they could be used both in text and in the corner of cards; with yours I can't see the resemblance between the two.

You are right. The text symbol is not a vector at this point. Basically I just took the faction symbol layer, threw a black overlay on it and reduced the opacity enough on the overlay so you could see some of the three-dimensional features. My ultimate plan is to import these symbols into Adobe Illustrator and use the live trace tool to convert them from raster to vector so I can create font symbols for them.

May 24, 2014, 08:41:30 AM
Reply #6

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 08:41:30 AM »
I'm curious. How long does it take you to make one template like that? Do you have any tutorials to recommend?

June 11, 2014, 01:22:49 PM
Reply #7

Hobbiton Lad

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »
I'm curious. How long does it take you to make one template like that? Do you have any tutorials to recommend?

It really just depends. I don't follow or recommend any tutorials per se. I have a bastardized, self-taught knowledge of Photoshop that I typically employ in these types of things. I use a lot of free textures, clipping masks, and different layer styles (overlay, etc.) to get certain effects.

Mainly it's just trial and error. I spent months on the new LotR templates but now I could probably crank out the same work in a week because I've mastered the workflow and cut out some unnecessary elements.

This is a decent starting point though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz2LCKFb0pM