LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Initiative Raiders  (Read 5820 times)

August 28, 2008, 01:45:37 PM
Read 5820 times

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
Initiative Raiders
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:45:37 PM »
4x Rout (7R158
3x *Castamir of Umbar (8R51
4x Corsair Boatswain (10C37
3x Corsair Marauder (8R57
2x Corsair Plunderer (8R58) 
3x Corsair Ruffian (10U39
3x Desert Sneak (7C135
3x Black Sails of Umbar (8R50) 
3x Corsair War Galley (8U59
2x Ships of Great Draught (8R65

Suggestions this is my first attempt at a deck like this.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

August 28, 2008, 01:54:07 PM
Reply #1

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
Re: Initiative Raiders
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:54:07 PM »
Problem I see with getting iniative with Corsair War Galley is that the fellowship has to double with a raider man still in play for rout to do any good. To get initiative with War Galley you have to spot 6 [Raider] tokens and a [Raider] man, and Rout exerts a companion when they move. If I were playing this and saw rout in play and a raider man I would not double unless I had no choice. I ahev a raider initiative deck that runs these possessions but I use the raiders that wound when assigned and Whirling Strike or Red Wrath :up:. I can post it if you want me too, but won't hijack your thread without your premission bro :up:.
If a Balrog falls from a bridge and noone is around, does it make a sound?

August 28, 2008, 05:48:13 PM
Reply #2

Anvar

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Tzeentch's Chosen
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »
Yeah, unfortunately Rout isn't great with the Corsairs, though they are much better at getting initiative than Southrons.

My suggestion is to play Under foot. This hilarious card allows you to reconcile your hand in the shadow phase if you have initiative. I would also play 4 Black Sails of Umbar, because it is amazing, and probably wouldn't bother with the Ships of Great Draught.

Other fun cards to consider with initiative:
-Gollum, Plotting Deceiver.
You can play him every site, and that allows you to do fun things like Led Astray. Also Captured by the Ring is great for adding threats.

-Ulaire Toldea, Wraith on Wings.
Ok, you need to spot a nazgul, but a free nazgul is nothing to be sniffed at. Ulaire Cantea, Faster than Winds, is great for adding threats, and can use some of the other threats that Corsairs can add to deal with troublesome possessions.

Of course, those cards would take your deck into mixed culture territory, which you might not want to do.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Anvar
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."
-Doctor Who

August 29, 2008, 03:05:27 AM
Reply #3

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 03:05:27 AM »
I think I am going to do a Desert Sneak/Rout/Tower of Barad-dur deck. The problem there is the FP player gets to pick which "When the fellowship moves" actions happens first.

How do you make Rout work? Harsh Tongues is rubbish, and as pointed out by everyone here Black Sails of Umbar doesnt do it either.

August 29, 2008, 06:58:46 AM
Reply #4

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 06:58:46 AM »
  If you wanna focus on corsair i´d say put some Raider Halberd on and get Casta to Crush them all  :twisted:

Althogh i don´t run a initiative deck with my sothrons i think you should consider Southron Chieftain and maybe a New Strength Came Now to get an easy overwhelm with Castamir and his halberd.

Playing with raiders i learned that it´s a good thing to have some ways to win skirmishes (or even overwhelm a  companion) to cause some deaths and make some of your minions stay on the table, cause sometimes only Rout cannot hold your opponent for a double move if he/she realized that you don´t have much power to kill the companions. The possibility to face Castamir with is toy or to have a side companion killed by a strenght 9 minion that pumps +6 (with New Strenght or even with Winds That Speed Ships) can make your opponent thinks twice before try some heroic double move.
    Persolnaly i think The first event fits much more in your deck cause don´t depend on the tokens (If you put some Southron Chieftain you can get initiative without it) and can pump your southrons AND your corsairs...

Another Sugeestion is Black Numenorean. He can make the role of Castamir being a fierce bad minion and discard possessions instead of Marauder. With Southron Chieftain and New Strenght Came Now you can make some trouble to your opponent... The bad thing is that he don´t add tokens to your possessions and you don´t exactly choose what possession you will discard, since the freeps could assign him to what he wants...but that´s the trick!

Normally the strongest characters bears some possession... if the freeps assign him to them you can remove 2 or 3 tokens and make all that possessions go strict to discard and if he/she assigns to a companion that have no possessions at all (consequently is more likely to be weak) you can surpise with some pump event and kill!  The halberd can ensure the twilight will be there when you needed :twisted: Before that, your opponent will have bad times at the assigment phase cause he will never know what you are up to...and that is the fun to play with initiative southrons with events that pumps +6...  :hey:

I really like your idea and i´m considering to make some deck like your to play in SdA (caus i don´t have the real cards to build a "real" deck... :roll:)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:07:54 AM by Pepin The Breve »

August 29, 2008, 11:33:50 AM
Reply #5

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
Harsh Tongues ain't rubbish. I've seen it work quite effectively. Anyways...I can move this over to King Block, cuz its awesome like that. I'd just run the initiative to wound southrons with Rout and Harsh Tongues, some surprise Red Wrath and you're good to go. And that's how to rock King Block.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

August 29, 2008, 12:18:41 PM
Reply #6

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 12:18:41 PM »
This is now King block

Shadow (32) 
3x Harsh Tongues (7C150
4x Rout (7R158
4x Red Wrath (7U157
4x Desert Runner (7C133
4x Desert Scout (7U134
4x Desert Sneak (7C135
3x Southron Runner (5C75
2x Fierce in Despair
4x Raider Bow (7C155

Any good?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:54:54 PM by TheJord »

August 29, 2008, 12:30:20 PM
Reply #7

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 12:30:20 PM »
Love it.

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

August 29, 2008, 12:35:05 PM
Reply #8

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 12:35:05 PM »
It is 32 cards, so I could cut Mumakil its just there for fierce initiative wounding.

August 29, 2008, 12:35:20 PM
Reply #9

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 12:35:20 PM »
I don't see how you will get a sounthron into the regroup phase for harsh tongues if....

A) You are making lower strength southrons fierce with Mumakil
B) Exerting 2 vitality southrons with Red Wrath

You will indeed have no problems with the twilght during the regroup phase with Radier Bow and all the ambush from the minions. Of course I don't play alot of King block though I hear it is fun, so maybe I shouldn't be posting my advice her with it being King Block now :up:.

August 29, 2008, 12:45:06 PM
Reply #10

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 12:45:06 PM »
I use a Corsair initiative swarm deck, myself, and Under Foot works wonders. But there really is no way to combine War Galleys and Rout.

If you ever do use the corsair thing, though, use Fierce in Despair. Discard War Galley, discard a companion, put War Galley back with Ships of Great Draught. :up:
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

August 29, 2008, 12:53:02 PM
Reply #11

NappyKorn

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • The ShizKnight
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »
If you are running all those southrons that wound when assigned and pairing them with Red Wrath or Whirling Strike I think Bold Men and Grim would be a fun choice. I never ran it but chances are you will be killing a companion so why not discard another one not assigned in the process. I might even see if I can incorporate it into my southron initiative wounding deck, since I run a little threat engine anyway with Rallying Call :up:.

August 29, 2008, 12:55:32 PM
Reply #12

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 12:55:32 PM »
I think that maybe you should cut Mumakil, actually, and run Fierce in Despair. Because I didn't think about it, but Mumakil hampers your ability to survive into the regroup phase, whereas Fierce in Despair lets you eat up that twilight to knock off a companion.

"It was like:
-Elessar's Socks

August 29, 2008, 04:55:07 PM
Reply #13

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King