LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Treebeard exert  (Read 9214 times)

September 18, 2011, 09:35:12 PM
Read 9214 times

Thunderbird

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Treebeard exert
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:35:12 PM »
can treebeard keeper of the watchwood exert just to play my condition or just discard a shadow condition? or do you have to play a condition and dump a condition?

September 19, 2011, 01:59:29 AM
Reply #1

MarcinS

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Treebeard exert
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 01:59:29 AM »
can treebeard keeper of the watchwood exert just to play my condition or just discard a shadow condition? or do you have to play a condition and dump a condition?
"If you meet all the requirements and pay all the costs for playing a card, you may play that card even if the card will have no effect."
and
"If the effect of a card or special ability requires you to perform an action and you cannot, you must perform as much as you can and ignore the rest."

So in other words, once you play the Treebeard action and exert him (cost, because it's before "to"), you have to do as much as possible - so if you have a gandalf condition in your discard pile that is playable at the time, you have to play it AND you have to choose a shadow player to discard his or her shadow condition from play.
New/old way to play Lord of the Rings online.
Give Gemp-LotR a try.
All sets are finished

September 19, 2011, 10:31:37 AM
Reply #2

Thunderbird

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »
thanks. to clarify i can exert treebeard to play condition but if theres no condition to discard then i dont have to right?

September 21, 2011, 05:49:59 PM
Reply #3

Yrael

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 05:49:59 PM »
thanks. to clarify i can exert treebeard to play condition but if theres no condition to discard then i dont have to right?

Correct, but if there is a condition to discard, then you have to discard it. Likewise, if you exert Treebeard to get rid of a condition, you have to play one out if you can, which can rarely be a disadvantage. (For example, if you are forced to play numenor's pride, but do not want to add the threats)

September 21, 2011, 08:15:08 PM
Reply #4

Thunderbird

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 08:15:08 PM »
thanks! that helps

September 22, 2011, 06:05:44 AM
Reply #5

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 06:05:44 AM »
Likewise, if you exert Treebeard to get rid of a condition, you have to play one out if you can
You have to be able to play a condition to use Treebeard. This is the only exception to "do as much as you can" rule.

"If you perform an action that has playing a card from your hand or discard pile as part of its effect, you must play that card. This exception applies to all kinds of actions and all the different ways you can play a card (except playing a card directly from your draw deck)."

So you can't use Treebeard, KotW only to get rid of opponent's condition, you can't use They Are Coming to get rid of cards in your hand you don't need, but you can play Simbelmyne for no effect (if you have no [Rohan] characters and possessions in your draw deck).

September 22, 2011, 09:18:39 AM
Reply #6

Thunderbird

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »
two answers contradict? who's correct ????

September 22, 2011, 09:35:42 AM
Reply #7

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »
I would say I'm correct but of course I can be biased ;)

But, as Marcin has just started another thread on similar issue, I guess at first he overlooked the rules part that I quoted.

September 22, 2011, 09:51:14 AM
Reply #8

Thunderbird

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
you said "If you perform an action that has playing a card from your hand or discard pile as part of its effect, you must play that card."
does that mean i have to play the card only if i have the card?

September 22, 2011, 09:54:04 AM
Reply #9

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »
Likewise, if you exert Treebeard to get rid of a condition, you have to play one out if you can
So you can't use Treebeard, KotW only to get rid of opponent's condition, you can't use They Are Coming to get rid of cards in your hand you don't need, but you can play Simbelmyne for no effect (if you have no [Rohan] characters and possessions in your draw deck).

You can still use Treebeard, KotW.  As long as you perform the cost (exerting Treebeard), you are just required to perform as much of the effect (making opponent discard a condition, and you playing one of yours from your discard pile). The rule here is just reiterating that if you use Treebeard, KotW and there is a [Gandalf] condition in your discard pile that can be played, you must play it.  It isn't saying that you must be able to play a [Gandalf] condition in order to use Treebeard's ability.

The same is true for They Are Coming. You may use the ability and discard 3 cards from hand as much as you want, it just means that each time you do, if there is a [Moria] orc in your discard pile that you can play, you must play it.

September 22, 2011, 10:23:27 AM
Reply #10

Thunderbird

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 10:23:27 AM »
thanks Tbiesty! i think you clarified it well.

September 22, 2011, 11:13:44 AM
Reply #11

hsiale

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 11:13:44 AM »
The problem is that the way he clarified it is not what the rules say. The exception in rules is not reiterating anything, it is changing the general rule of performing as much as you can - if the effect is playing a card (from hand, discard pile, adventure deck, other card - anywhere except draw deck), you must be able to perform it and you must perform it.

So, with examples:

You can't exert Treebeard, KotW only to destroy your opponent's condition (but you can exert him only to play your condition).
You can't discard cards from hand using They Are Coming when your discard pile contains no [Moria] Orc you can play.
Similarly, you can't discard cards from hand using Gorgoroth Sapper if you have no [Sauron] Orc stacked on a site you control that you can play.
And you can't exert a Hobbit using Hobbiton Woods if your site 2 already is on the adventure path.
But you can use The Prancing Pony* to add as many burdens as you want (because it allows you to play a card from draw deck, and this is exception to exception, mentioned in rulebook), no matter if you have Aragorn in your draw deck, on the table, somewhere else or not at all - of course if during adding the first burden you have at least one Aragorn in draw deck, no Aragorn in play and nothing else stops you from playing companions (for example you don't have 9 of them in play).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:15:17 AM by hsiale »

September 22, 2011, 02:31:41 PM
Reply #12

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 02:31:41 PM »
Unfortunately hsiale all of what you are saying is incorrect.

The cost-effect rule states you pay a cost, then perform as much of the effect as possible.

They Are Coming - cost = discard 3, effect = play a minion from your discard pile.
Just because there is no minion in your pile, does not mean you are unable to pay the cost.

These are the rules, and this question has been asked, and answered, many times.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

September 22, 2011, 02:53:04 PM
Reply #13

MarcinS

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 02:53:04 PM »
They Are Coming - cost = discard 3, effect = play a minion from your discard pile.
Just because there is no minion in your pile, does not mean you are unable to pay the cost.

These are the rules, and this question has been asked, and answered, many times.

Umm, that directly contradicts what Elessar's Socks said in "Playing a card as a card effect" thread a moment ago:

Question:
So if I have a Galadriel from FotR in play.
1. Can I exert her to use her ability, even if I have no Elf in hand?
His answer:
No - "If an action plays a card from your hand (or discard pile) as part of its effect, then that card must be in your hand (or discard pile) before you can begin to perform that action." ("effect")
New/old way to play Lord of the Rings online.
Give Gemp-LotR a try.
All sets are finished

September 22, 2011, 03:12:09 PM
Reply #14

Thunderbird

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 03:12:09 PM »
the great debate is on! whos correct???