LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Mountain Dwarves/Beatdown Nazgul  (Read 3334 times)

September 09, 2008, 08:40:10 AM
Read 3334 times

Malachi

• Information Offline
  • Villager
Mountain Dwarves/Beatdown Nazgul
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:40:10 AM »
Starting:
Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings
Gloin, Son of Groin
Durin III, Dwarven Lord

Adventure Path:
(0) Buckland Homestead
(0) Woody-End
(0) The Angle
[1] Hill of Sight
[2] Barazinbar
[2] West Gate of Moria
[3] Barazinbar
[3] Moria Guardroom
[3] Trollshaw Forest

Free Peoples (41+2 start):
1 Ring of Accretion
1 Ring of Fury
1 Ring of Guile
1 Ring of Retribution
2 Thrarin, Smith of Erebor
4 Endurance of Dwarves
2 Lord of Moria
1 Still Twitching
1 Proud and Able
4 Thorin's Harp
4 Mountain Homestead
4 No Pauses, No Spills
4 Blood Runs Chill
1 Belt of Erebor
2 Dwarven Bracers
4 Hand Axe
4 Axe of Khazad-Dum

Shadow (43):
2 The Witch-King, Black Lord
2 Ulaire Cantea, Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
1 Ulaire Enquea, Duplicitous Lieutenant
2 Ulaire Lemenya, Servant of the Shadow
2 Ulaire Lemenya, Wraith on Wings
4 Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders
2 Ulaire Nertea, Dark Horseman
2 Ulaire Nertea, Servant of the Shadow
4 Ulaire Toldea, Black Shadow
4 Lost in the Woods
2 Moving This Way
4 Dark Approach
1 Shapes Slowly Advancing
2 Minas Morgul Answers
1 Black Marshal
4 Beauty is Fading
4 Morgul Gates

OK, I know what you think - "It's too freaking big!". But Dwarves cycle really well with Gloin and NPNS and Nazgul have Moving This Way. Anyway, I have no problems getting what I need, altough I may cut something if need be.

The Free Peoples.... 4x Mountain Homestead + 4x Thorin's Harp + 4x Axe of Khazad-Dum. Do I need to explain it? Possessions and artifact boost everyone, especially Durin, and Lord of Moria + Endurance of Dwarves makes sure I can use Blood Runs Chill to discard anything I don't like.

Shadow... is a bit tricky. There are bits of swarm and bits of beatdown in there, as well as some discard. I'm still unsure if I need both Dark Approach and Morgul Gates - in region 2 and 3 I have some twilight left anyway, but they are here to make sure I have something left for Beauty is Fading. It's amazing if you play if often, and Ulaire Toldea, BS makes sure I always have at least one in hand. The others Nazgul are mostly cheap, so if you play them at Buckland Homestead or The Angle, they can hurt a lot.

I'm open to criticism and suggestions.

September 09, 2008, 11:36:16 AM
Reply #1

Gillian

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Re: Mountain Dwarves/Beatdown Nazgul
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:36:16 AM »
I don't like this deck.
It is very big. Ok, there are NPNSMoving This Way and Gloin, but when you have 84 cards in deck it is big posibility you will not pull NPNS or Moving This Way early, and Gloin have to win skrimish first. You have only 4 companions, and many expensive conditions, many twilight and litle companions means trouble. Your freepeople depends much on conditions, and many shadow culture has some condition discard, especially in expanded.
About shadow I have even worse opinion.
Where to start, there is so much things that I don't like.
2 Moving This Way in so big deck is not enough
4 Beauty is Fading!!!!????!!!! WTF!!!???!!!
It costs 5, and chances to discard companion are aboot 0%
1 Ulaire Enquea, Duplicitous Lieutenant is ok, but none Ulaire Enquea, Sixth of the Nine Riders or(and) Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul is LOTR ccg crime.
none Ulaire Cantea, Faster Than Winds, only the best possession discarter in Nazgul
Ulaire Lemenya, Eternally Threatening is much better choice than Ulaire Lemenya, Eternally Threatening
you don't have any Black Rider, non unique Nazgul is necesary in such huge deck
The Witch-King, Black Lord is guy for Morcs in this deck you need The Witch-king, Captain of the Nine Riders
none Ulaire Otsea, Duplicitous Specter or at least Ulaire Otsea, Seventh of the Nine Riders
with Nazgul you can play Ithil Stone, two copy of that card can help much

September 09, 2008, 06:00:25 PM
Reply #2

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:00:25 PM »
Actually, yes, 43/43 is too big. Never make a deck more than 40/40, unless it has Dwarves AND Moria. Moving this Way does not cycle well enough.

You can probably make it 37/37 or maybe even 40/40 even, but seriously, 43/43 is too big. Just try knocking out 3 each and watch you cycle even faster than you thought. My Dwarf deck runs 4 Delving (NP, NS cost an arm and a leg), and I still have it 32/32. Of course, I pair it with a [Sauron] condition intensive deck, but still, 43/43 is like Dwarf/Moria size.

Beauty is Fading: Yeah, what he said. Drop it. Totally. Then drop all your Endurance of Dwarves. You shouldn't be running it as a vitality booster, as a single condition killer will drop your whole Dwarf dead. Thus, you can only use it for its discarding ability. Which isn't worth it. That drops it to 39/39, try the deck then. I'd slim it even more, I'm a big fan of 35 card dwarves.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:49:18 PM by NBarden »
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

September 09, 2008, 07:06:46 PM
Reply #3

Pepin The Breve

• Well-spoken Gentlehobbit
  • Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:06:46 PM »
    Hey man, see the commentaries here as suggestions and don´t give up of allways improving your building hability. More than all, if you have a crazy ideia and thinks that worth a shot i say go to it! Even that mey be not a great all-mighty-powerfull one the fun is what counts more at the end. Obviously the people here just intend to give you advices to improve your deck generally with the competitive power in mind, so i guess they would be welcome and their critics can be very useful in many ways...  :up:

I don´t know a crap of Forestgul or beating Down Guls so i will restrict to some dwarf commentaries... but i would agree that, if you are looking to improve your chances of win you should reduce it a little bit.

Endurance of dwarves looks very good (and can be) but keep in mind that expanded shadows tend to have lots of condition discard and if they manage to exhaust your companion they can simply kill your companion even if him/her was even assigned to a skirmish (as simple as playing a minion or using a manuever event...) so it´s a thing i always worry about (prefer the artifacts that adds vit cause they are far harder to discard).

Gimli Battle Axe, VW and Armor of Khazad can be good option to your dwarves. The first one help you against unnespected surpirses while boost the last (just don´t abuse it or you may have some trouble!).

NPNS can be a very dangerous way of cicling, maybe just cuting some cards from the deck would work better.

Dáin Ironfoot can be a good companion to throw in your deck, maybe at the starting fellowship along with Durin.

If you cut the 4 NPNS, Endurance of Dwarves, one BRC, one Harp and one MH and add the Gimli Axe, Dáin and the armor you should make the deck around 35 cards which seem to be a good number for a "non mad ciclying deck".

If you want to stick with BIF for the Nazgul you have to search ways to discard conditions and possessions and add some twilight with your Guls, then it can be more effective...

Hope i helped some way.