LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: a question about "assigned to a skirmish"  (Read 2965 times)

August 01, 2011, 05:59:12 PM
Read 2965 times

azogsbane

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
a question about "assigned to a skirmish"
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:59:12 PM »
Ok, so I know that when a skirmish has been completed the characters that were involved in it are considered no longer assigned. But when exactly does the transition from assigned to unassigned take place? (yes, I have tried looking in the comprehensive rulebook, but when I clicked the link nothing happened)

Here's a scenario for you: Knight of Dol Amroth bearing Knight's Mount wins a skirmish. The knight's text allows you to wound a minion he is skirmishing. The mount's text allows you to wound a minion not assigned to a skirmish. I would have thought that the minion the knight just won a skirmish against would have counted as one of the unassigned minions you could wound with the mount (thus wounding it for the second time post-skirmish). But if the minion you have just won against counts as no longer assigned, then of course the knight's text is meaningless since he would be no longer skirmishing any minion when he wins.

So my conclusion is that at the moment when you win a skirmish, both characters are still considered to be skirmishing and thus are also still considered to be assigned. Is that correct?

August 01, 2011, 06:21:56 PM
Reply #1

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Re: a question about "assigned to a skirmish"
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »
I agree with your interpretation.  I would phrase it as:

both players pass
strength totaled
knight has higher power
minion looses/knight wins, triggering knight and mount abilities
wounds assigned one at a time*
(I think the wound from the skirmish is assigned first because it is mandatory, and then the FP player chooses the order of the two triggers, not sure about that part though)
skirmish finishes resolving (that skirmish phase ends).  Characters are no longer assigned, skirmish boosts go away

*Edit to clarify:  all three wounds are assigned now.  First, the wound from the skirmish is put on the minion who lost, then the FP player may put 1 wound on the minion who lost and another on a minion not assigned to a skirmish in either order.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:34:31 AM by Air Power »
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

August 01, 2011, 08:53:40 PM
Reply #2

azogsbane

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »
Wait a minute Air Power, either you misunderstood me or I'm misunderstanding you. My conclusion (after my initial musings) was that the Knight of Dol Amroth's text could be used to wound he minion he was skirmishing, but that the Knight's Mount could *not*, because the minion is still assigned. It sounds to me like your saying that the Knight's Mount *could* also be used to wound that same minion.

August 01, 2011, 09:06:31 PM
Reply #3

Tbiesty

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:06:31 PM »
Air Power is correct. At the time the Knight's Mount text triggers, the skirmish hasn't "ended" yet, so the minion is still assigned.

August 01, 2011, 09:23:39 PM
Reply #4

Haszor

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »
To expand on the text on Threatening Guide add a threat during the skirmish?  What tends to happen is I'll kill someone and then the threats are used up, now does the threat from his game text get thrown out as a wound or does it stay on the dead pile til someone dies?

August 07, 2011, 08:56:03 AM
Reply #5

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »
Here's the relevant part from the rulebook: "A skirmish phase ends after all actions triggered by winning or losing that skirmish have resolved. At this point, characters who were involved in that skirmish are no longer assigned."

In your example, you don't get the wound from the Knight's Mount he's bearing because those minions are still assigned to him (actions triggered by winning or losing that skirmish haven't all resolved).

---

The threat from Threatening Guide should follow the usual action sequence, as an optional action. If Gollum kills the character he's skirmishing with They Stole It or the "default" wound, then the threat wounds would be assigned before you can use his text (the threat from him stays on the dead pile). If you have YaLaaT in hand which would kill the character, then you could play it first (and add the threat later, which stays), or add the threat first and then play YaLaaT.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:57:51 AM by Elessar's Socks »