LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Next Updates for the Hobbit Draft Game  (Read 271631 times)

February 09, 2015, 08:16:17 AM
Reply #75

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Next Updates for the Hobbit Draft Game
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2015, 08:16:17 AM »
- Burglar's Contract: I think the card is strong enough without any other strength or resistance bonus. We have to test it ;).
- Oakenshield and Mithril Coat: I want to make the text shorter for both of them. A Dwarven Bracers is really strong in the Hobbit Draft Game, not sure it's underpowered (and now there is a strength bonus on Oakenshield). The damage bonuses from weapons come only from the Troll Knife. A more general ability seems ok.
- Saruman: I think the text is long enough now.

Is there any other points (except the new Shadows) that could be discussed ? I will probably make the modifications soon.
Hobbit Draft Game : http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr

February 09, 2015, 05:01:49 PM
Reply #76

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2015, 05:01:49 PM »
- Oakenshield: The problem with the "bracers" Oakenshield is it doesn't make any difference with common bracers, except that it must be borne by Thorin only. Here's an excerpt from Tolkien's writings (The Return of the King, Appendix A, Part III, "Durin's Folk", note 46):

"It is said that Thorin's shield was cloven and he cast it away and he hewed off with his axe a branch of an oak and held it in his left hand to ward off the strokes of his foes, or to wield as a club. In this way he got his name."

So my point here is try to make it appear as a warfare tool that improves Thorin's chances at the battle. It was both a club and a shield, and the shield part is at least partially covered by the response action but the club part isn't well represented in a mere +1 strength in my opinion. I believe a skirmish special ability that can give him strength +1 multiple times should represent well the things a skilled and brave warrior will do with such an improvised device: pushing, striking, dodging, blocking. That is, the offensive and defensive usage of a shield, improvised or not.

But the one I proposed before ("Skirmish: Exert Thorin or play a [Dwarven] event to make him strenght +1") can be really overpowered: base strength +1 (8) and +4 strength by playing Battle Fury (12), or +5 if bearring a [Dwarven] follower (13) plus that follower's strength addition plus 1 by Thorin's skill (15 or 16)...

I firmly think this one will fit better: "Skirmish: Exert Thorin or discard a [Dwarven] event from hand to make him strength +1". That uses 2 lines in the card. Less powerful but more resourceful, can convert non-skirmish events into a +1 strength pump: To Me! O My Kinsfolk!, Lore of Imladris, Battle of Azanulbizar, Ancestral Knowledge... Or even exert himself if he desperately needs to kill his foe or survive an overwhelming.

After all, the Oakenshield was at first a desperate tool for desperate surviving.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:38:48 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

February 09, 2015, 10:06:37 PM
Reply #77

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2015, 10:06:37 PM »
- Burglar's Contract: The idea of giving him strength +1 (or resistance +1 or +2) is to represent Bilbo's conviction about his participation in The Quest. "I'm going on an adventure!"

Bilbo: "Wait! Wait! I signed it. Here."
Balin: "Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, Master Baggins to the company of Thorin Oakenshield."

- Mithril Coat:
1.- The Response action worries me a little: it requires to exert Bilbo twice to cancel an event. Therefore the thing it tries to prevent must be even worse than those 2 exertions of the cost, so most of the times it will be used to prevent overwhelmings. But that means he will take a third wound (after those 2 exertions), or more if there are damage bonuses, so The One Ring will have to convert those wounds into doubts very often...

What do you think about that? I feel those 2 exertions are very costly, but with only 1 the cost would be too low :(. Maybe a passive ability meant to do the same protection against Shadow events: "During skirmishes involving Bilbo, the twilight cost of each Shadow event is +2." Anger would cost [3], If He Losses would cost [4], it would suit well to his stealthy nature. Hidden Dagger would cost [4]...

2.- I agree with your point on damage bonuses from weapons, that can't be much useful. But the Mithril Coat should then stop the strength bonuses. It should prevent the weapons of enemies from thrusting its bearer instead of just a mere reduction of 1 arrow... We are talking about dwarven smithcraft, and Moria-Silver itself! I believe that's a good reason to not reject a long gametext.

The passive skill that negates strength from weapons might be turned into a special ability: "Skirmish: Exert Bilbo to make a minion skirmishing him lose all strength bonuses from weapons."

Mixing those 2 points, my proposal is the following. I hope it's not too long:

[2] Mithril Coat [Dwarven]
Artifact - Armor
Bearer must be Bilbo.
During skirmishes involving Bilbo, the twilight cost of each Shadow event is +2.
Skirmish: Exert Bilbo to make a minion skirmishing him lose all strength bonuses from weapons.

It's actually shorter than the current printable version.

- The [Sauron] Ring of Thrór: I found a problem with the ability that discards FP artifacts at maneuver: it can discard other Rings. Including The One Ring.

- The Shadow Arkenstone: With the current text "each companion and ally of a different culture than bearer's is strength -2 (except [Gandalf])", Galadriel and Elrond's strenght will be diminished. And that can wreck the whole White Council Pack: Galadriel with only 1 strength point can and will be overwhelmed by anyone. And Sauron will know it...

Might be changed to "each non-Wise companion and ally of a different culture than bearer's is strength -2". No [Gandalf] culture exception.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:39:33 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

February 10, 2015, 12:31:04 AM
Reply #78

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2015, 12:31:04 AM »
I'm sorry but I really like the Oakenshield like it is now. It perfectly fit the story (strength + desperate proctetion) and really powerful for the Hobbit Draft Game.

I change the Burglar's Contract with a +1 resistance.

Ok for Mithril Coat (it was a way to counter all the Gollum events), I will change it with a new version :

Mithril Coat : Cost (2). [Dwarven] Artifact • Armor. Bearer must be Bilbo. The minion archery total is -1. While Bilbo is skirmishing, the twilight cost of each Shadow event is +2.

February 10, 2015, 01:26:36 AM
Reply #79

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2015, 01:26:36 AM »
I upload all the modifications of the FP packs and more (except the new Shadows) on the website. I didn't list all the modifications on the website yet.

There are also the new cards for the Shadow Smaug :

http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Shadow_Arkenstone.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Wrath_of_the_Dragon.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Twisted_Gold_of_Dragon.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Smaug_s_Awakening.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Dissension.png

Enjoy ^^.

February 10, 2015, 02:01:06 AM
Reply #80

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2015, 02:01:06 AM »
I'm sorry but I really like the Oakenshield like it is now. It perfectly fit the story (strength + desperate protection) and really powerful for the Hobbit Draft Game.

I cannot disagree with that last part you said... It's very powerful as a copy of Dwarven Bracers, and thought I don't think it fits perfectly with the story, it doesn't fail at all and my version might be overpowered with all the natural power of Thorin (his ability, followers, Orcrist), in comparison to the foes he will fight. I give up, my fellow. :up:

Anyway, as a small suggestion, it might reduce the cost of [Dwarven] events, just like Narya reduces the cost with [Gandalf] ones. "The twilight cost of each [Dwarven] event is -1".

I change the Burglar's Contract with a +1 resistance.

That's a good thing. The skirmish ability will pile up doubts on him. :up:

Ok for Mithril Coat (it was a way to counter all the Gollum events), I will change it with a new version :

Mithril Coat : Cost (2). [Dwarven] Artifact • Armor. Bearer must be Bilbo. The minion archery total is -1. While Bilbo is skirmishing, the twilight cost of each Shadow event is +2.

It still gives me the feeling of lack of protection. +1 Vitality? That would fix that problem (if my notion is right), without adding a single word to the text.

EDIT: :o Just saw the Smaug cards... They look just AMAZING!!!  =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

The Arkenstone has plenty of room for a good lore text, to enhance that chilling admiration effect it causes (GREAT WORK my friend!) I can think about these 2 quotes:

- "That Stone of all the treasure I name unto myself, and I will be avenged on anyone who finds it and withholds it." From the book.
- "I am almost tempted to let you take it, if only to see Oakenshield suffer... watch it corrupt his heart and drive him mad." From the Desolation of Smaug movie.

Thank you my fellow for the pleasure of watching such impressive and professional cards. Bravo!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:40:00 PM by Durin's Heir »

February 10, 2015, 09:45:48 AM
Reply #81

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
Ok I just change Oakenshield and Mithril Coat with your ideas.

I prefer to keep the Shadow Arkenstone like that because of the "..." syntax like in these folowing cards were there is no lore text :

7U13Reckless Pride
7U15Ancient Blade
7U49Steadfast Champion
7U77We Hates Them
7U126Unexpected Visitor
7U328Slow-kindled Courage

I am glad you like these new cards :).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:47:31 AM by -Enola- »

February 10, 2015, 08:34:05 PM
Reply #82

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »
- Old Thrush: Maybe it's a bit late to think about this, but what if the Old Thrush is a [Dwarven] follower instead? The same game text (exerting Bilbo as aid cost, with the same cost and effect), but if it were dwarvish it might be replayed by To Me! O My Kinsfolk! That bird was part of the dwarven moonrunes about Erebor in Thrór's Map... "Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole".

Gandalf: "That, my dear Oin, is a thrush"
Thorin: "But we'll take it as a sign. A good omen"

Perhaps you were precisely trying to avoid the use of To Me! O My Kinsfolk! with the Old Thrush. But as it's ability is used in maneuver and the Thrush won't play directly the card you search, unless that card is a non-fellowship event you will have to wait until the next turn to play it... My point is, even with To Me! O My Kinsfolk! replaying it, it won't do a fast set up.

A little question, given the lore text "The men of Dale were able to understand the language of the bird, and they served the men as messengers". Should the Old Thrush search for a [Dale] card? Because only companions may bear followers, unless a follower states its possible bearers. "Bearer must be a companion or [Dale] man", or "Bearer must be a Free Peoples character" might be alternatives.

- Mithril Coat & Oakenshield: The new picture of the Oakenshield is much better! The twilight reduction to events can represent the keen leadership of Thorin facing the pale Orc. The Mithril Coat is an armor different to anything else ever made by Decipher, I think many people will be surprised of its effectiveness.

- The Shadow Arkenstone: I don't think it should cause any trouble, because the lore text is always in a smaller font and in italics. There ain't a single gametext line written in italics, so an italized text shouldn't ever be considered a gametext...

There's a lot of other cards from Set 7 that don't have lore text, many having plenty of room and motives to have one.

Preparations
Asfaloth, Elven Steed
Bow of the Galadhrim, Gift of Galadriel
(7C20) Defiance and every other reprint
Numenor's Pride
Fat One Wants It
Footman's Armor
Gondorian Sword
Guarded
Iorlas
Knight's Spear
Riding Armor...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:06:40 AM by Durin's Heir »

February 11, 2015, 08:20:31 AM
Reply #83

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2015, 08:20:31 AM »
- Old Thrush: The Dwarfs are not directly in contact with the Thrush. I prefer to keep the Thrush as a Shire card in the Bilbo pack. We can consider

Old Thrush : Cost (1). [Shire] Follower. Bird. Aid - exert Bilbo. Strength +1. Maneuver: Discard this follower to take into hand an ally from your draw deck or discard pile.

- Mithril Coat: I agree about this point. We can still change this armor (but with a small text ;) ).

- The Shadow Arkenstone: I made a first test with a lore text on the Shadow Arkenstone, but it was better without any other text.

February 11, 2015, 06:56:34 PM
Reply #84

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2015, 06:56:34 PM »
- Mithril Coat: It might punish both Shadow events and Shadow special abilities against Bilbo, the way Wrath of Harad does: 'While Bilbo is skirmishing, each Shadow event and Shadow special ability gains this cost: "remove [2]."' It's longer than the current version, but I hope not so long to be rejected...

- Old Thrush: The Shire vinculation is present in the "Aid - Exert Bilbo" cost. I agree it MUST be in the Bilbo pack, but the Mirkwood Pack has a [Dwarven] artifact (Emeralds of Girion), so it wouldn't be a problem to make the Old Thrush a [Dwarven] card in Bilbo's Pack still needing to exert Bilbo...

I believe the Old Thrush might search for any [Dale] card to get, for instance, the Black Arrow. In the book, Bard knew from the Old Thrush that Smaug had a weak point discovered by Bilbo.

"Maneuver: Discard this follower to take into hand a Free Peoples card of bearer's culture (or [Dale]) from your draw deck or discard pile".

Might get a needed event for Bilbo, Gandalf or a Dwarf (Thorin's good omen)...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:41:05 PM by Durin's Heir »

February 11, 2015, 08:06:40 PM
Reply #85

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2015, 08:06:40 PM »
- The Shadow Arkenstone: I made a first test with a lore text on the Shadow Arkenstone, but it was better without any other text.

:-[ Oh man, I found a good way of using that spare card room for gametext: "Each non-Wise character of a different culture than bearer's is strength -2" is wrong. #-o It needs to specify either "Free Peoples character" or "companion or ally", or else will punish minions too. We talked about this some time ago, but I totally forgot this time... So that part will need to use 3 lines instead of 2. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

And there won't be a lore text.

- "Each non-Wise Free Peoples character of a different culture than bearer's is strength -2."
- "Each non-Wise companion or ally of a different culture than bearer's is strength -2."

February 11, 2015, 09:03:01 PM
Reply #86

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2015, 09:03:01 PM »
- Mithril Coat : It's not too long but more complicated :(. I will let it like this.

- Ok for the Old Thrush, but I keep it in Shire culture in order to not be used with Nori or To Me! O Me Kinsfolk! This follower will still help Dwarves ;).

• Old Thrush, Messenger Bird
Maneuver: Discard this follower to take into hand a Free Peoples card (except [Gandalf] or [Elven]) from your draw deck or discard pile.

- Shadow Arkenstone : You are right! I change it, but it doesn't bring a new line. I stll prefer the card like without any lore text.

I modified some of these cards :

http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Shadow_Arkenstone.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Wrath_of_the_Dragon.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Twisted_Gold_of_Dragon.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Smaug_s_Awakening.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Dissension.png

I also create the new Sauron culture :

http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Sauron.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Shadow_Ring_of_Thror.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Jail.png
http://hobbitdraftgame.free.fr/Add/Danger_Wrapped_in_Shadows.png

I'm not sure I will find 9 different good pictures of Nazguls :(. You sent me some photos but it's hard to have a good quality picture.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:40:02 PM by -Enola- »

February 12, 2015, 04:38:37 AM
Reply #87

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2015, 04:38:37 AM »
- Ok for the Old Thrush, but I keep it in Shire culture in order to not be used with Nori or To Me! O Me Kinsfolk! This follower will still help Dwarves ;).

• Old Thrush, Messenger Bird
Maneuver: Discard this follower to take into hand a Free Peoples card (except [Gandalf] or [Elven]) from your draw deck or discard pile.
I just can't disagree here! ;D Great version! :up:

- Shadow Arkenstone : You are right! I change it, but it doesn't bring a new line. I stll prefer the card like without any lore text.
The issue I got with the lore text is, I firmly believe it brings life to the cards by inserting them in a perspective of Tolkien's writings and Jackson's films. A good lore text can even bridge the differences between the portrayal made by PJ and the original writings, and that's huge. That's the reason why I tend to fight always for a (good) lore text to be included...

I modified some of these cards :
Smaug's Awakening looks much better! Twisted Gold of Dragon is amazing, except for one thing: given the text and the image, I can't see any link to the gold hoard... perhaps the name should be changed. As he directs to the people of Lake-Town, and the gametext allows Lake-men to fight, I'd change it to "I Will Show You Revenge!".

I also create the new Sauron culture :
The [Sauron] Necromancer culture:

Danger Wrapped In Shadows and Ring of Thrór look really gorgeous my friend! Beautilful images and distribution of colors and text. That's the same picture I imagined for the [Sauron] Ring of Thrór from the start! :up:

- Danger Wrapped In Shadows: Danger has some spare room for lore text, and a little error too, easy to solve: "... to take into hand...". The lore text might be related to Radagast's feelings and experience about Dol Guldur: "A Dark Power dwells in there... such as l have never felt before."

- The [Sauron] Ring of Thrór: It's a good thing this artifact can't discard Rings (he still can weaken Bilbo by discarding Sting). But it lacks a limit, it might be used twice the way it is by now. "Exert Sauron to discard a non-Ring artifact (limit once)" (excerting only once). If you can add this text as lore to the Ring of Thrór, DO IT (I know it's more or less 60% longer, but there is a spare line in your card and this MUST be present):

"Nearly all his ravings were of that. The last of the Seven he said over and over again..."

- Jail: Beautiful image you chose sir, nothing to add here. :up:

- Sauron, The Necromancer: This is the only card which doesn't offer too much to my taste. The image looks a bit pixelated, that can be fixed (*see the attached image). And I think you might use the [Sauron] artifact template instead, just like The Balrog uses a different, more colorful [Moria] template instead of the common one. It might make sense to give the [Sauron] symbol and the middle bar a golden color for Sauron...

I will talk later about the Nazgul...

* I attached an image as a proposal of change for Sauron, The Necromancer. An image of the "shadow" Necromancer might be used too (the one that wraps Thráin)...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:27:16 AM by Durin's Heir »

February 12, 2015, 05:54:43 AM
Reply #88

-Enola-

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2015, 05:54:43 AM »
Ok thank you, I just change all the Sauron cards and the Arkenstone.

For Sauron, I took another picture and I don't think other template than the classical Sauron template is needed (all the Sauron in LOTR TCG are classical). I modify the Great Goblin template like the Balrog one.

February 12, 2015, 10:03:19 PM
Reply #89

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2015, 10:03:19 PM »
I've been thinking about those cards that allow the Shadow player to discard FP items and followers. Refering only to fixed FP cards from the Main deck (that excludes Gandalf The Grey and FP Packs), there is only one way to get solely [Dwarven] followers back to play (To Me! O My Kinsfolk!), and not a single card to bring possessions or artifacts back to play/hand/draw deck.

The main problem I see is Sauron will discard Sting with the [Sauron] Ring of Thrór, and then there won't be a chance to get it back. And the same goes with Glamdring, allies, non- [Dwarven] followers...

An easy solution might be changing Balin from recycling a FP event to recylcing any FP card.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:05:16 PM by Durin's Heir »