LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Replacing Companions  (Read 2019 times)

August 11, 2014, 12:11:47 PM
Read 2019 times

BigRedMF

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Replacing Companions
« on: August 11, 2014, 12:11:47 PM »
I was thinking about this today for some reason, but I wonder why Decipher decided that you couldn't replace a companion with a different version partway through the game (like in SW:CCG)? I think it could be a fun house rule: if you have a different version of a companion in hand you can replace the one in play simply by paying the cost as if you were playing them for the first time. All active cost modifiers would still apply. You keep any cards that are already played on that companion (provided they still apply - can't keep a knight weapon if the companion is no longer a knight, etc). And you also keep all wounds on that companion.

It might lead to some interesting decks, or at least some more strategy. Think about replacing Sam Son of Hamfast with Proper Poet for a run to site 9. Swap out any Gandalf with Mithrandir for a beatdown. I'm sure there are ways this could be abused terribly, since they didn't account for it during card design. But what cool combos can people come up with?

August 11, 2014, 12:40:09 PM
Reply #1

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
Re: Replacing Companions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »
Gandalf essentially does this with Sent Back.  I would get bored of Eowyn, Lady of Rohan soaking up 2 wounds, or LoI decimating my shadow, only to turn to Sister Daughter of Theoden and then be unkillable.  Gimli, Son of Gloin turning into Counter of Foes could be fun.

August 25, 2014, 08:24:45 PM
Reply #2

dmaz

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Global Mod
Re: Replacing Companions
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
You can replace any companion...it just takes a little more work. Just add these two steps before playing the new version...unfortunately everything the companion would bear up to that point would go to your discard pile.

1. Saved From the Fire
2. Borne Far Away

I'm currently working on an evil strategy that incorporates these two cards to cycle dirty companions back in.