LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Players Committee Action Plan Mark II  (Read 14179 times)

November 30, 2009, 01:17:02 AM
Read 14179 times

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Players Committee Action Plan Mark II
« on: November 30, 2009, 01:17:02 AM »
Hi all - we have made alot of progress lately with the introduction of the FoTR league. It is alot of fun and thanks to TheJord for getting it underway. :gp:

I have amended the proposed Players Committee Action Plan (Mark II). I know there is opposition to some aspects of it so I have included a poll this time to get some feedback. Additionally, all comments, positive and negative are always welcome!

Note that:
•   Steps 1-3 equals generating interest, increasing the player base, and supporting the community.
•   Steps 4-8 can only proceed with implementation of steps 1-3 and with support of the playing community.

Players Committee Action Plan Mark II

1)   The Future of LOTR – As voted by the expanding community at The Last Homely House
•   The establishment of Valinor on TLHH gives us a place to discuss the Players Committee.
•   FOTR movie block have been informally voted as a starting point for the LOTR TCG revival. The established league (http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/board,42.0.html) is a lot of fun and getting good support.
•   It is important that we involve the community in the decision making process. Polls and use of the forums in making key decisions is encouraged. We encourage everyone to share their ideas.

2)   Marketing Team – Everyone can help!
Let's spread the word about LOTR TCG. We want as many people as possible playing this great game.
•   We need promote TLHH and GCCG.
•   We need to advertise in hobby stores, conventions, other websites, etc.
•   We have a LOTR magazine in development by Sete.
•   Players need to demo the game to new players establish new playing groups.

3)   Rules Team – We will need experienced players with an excellent knowledge of the rules.
•   New broken cards and combos may appear and the problems that arise will be addressed by the rules team.
•   The rules book should be updated periodically.
•   The establishment of an accepted FoTR movie block rulebook, or FAQ, would be of benefit to new players and to support the new league. TheJord has established an FAQ of sorts in Valinor to accompany the FoTR League.
•   The rules team needs the support of the playing community to make critical decisions in the event that a problem is encountered (such as allowing the ring-bearer to cancel skirmishes in FoTR movie block – this may have been obvious to some and makes perfect sense when explained – but a decision needed to be made and accepted by the community).

4)   Tournament Team – We will need Tournament Directors!
It would be nice to play with real cards again.
•   Volunteer Tournament Directors need to setup tournaments in their local area, supporting the FoTR move block format (lack of access to RotEL provides a barrier, but not an impossibility).  Tournament directors will need to be passionate about the game and be willing to locate prize support, etc. It will not be about running tournaments to make a profit.
•   We can use GCCG to setup online tournaments or to expand the existing FoTR league.
•   Tournaments can be promoted on this site using an appropriate thread (perhaps in Valinor).
•   A tournament system should be established, with tournament support (player sheets, tournament guidelines, tournament rankings, etc).

5)   Legal team – We need someone capable of pitching the idea of a not-for-profit organisation to Decipher, New Line, Tolkien Estate. Someone with a reputation would help!
•   In summary, to create new material using Decipher's template we would need their approval, to use images from the movies we would need New Line's approval, to use names and lore from the books we would need Tolkien Estate approval.
•   Legal approval is only necessary if we produce a product that
•   It has been suggested by another player committee that they do not have permission to do what they are doing. They are operating under the legal term ‘fair trade', which as I understand it means you can do what you want provided it is not-for-profit. Another person suggested that ‘just because you can do it (fair-trade) doesn't mean you should'.
•   It has been suggested that it may be possible to avoid this step, or to avoid some approvals by modifying the way we do step 7. Examples – Half slips (as per Star Wars design) and new templates.

6)   Web team – We need someone willing to designing and updating content on a website.
•   The PC will be a not-for-profit organisation. The website will have to have the .org extension.
•   The PC will continue to support TLHH as a place to meet and discuss LOTR TCG.
•   TLHH has shown they are not willing to support any material that may breach copyright (and fair enough).
•   The website will provide free resources for the playing community to use that will (hopefully) enhance the experience of playing LOTR – be it modified rulebooks, errata cards, alternate image promo cards as tournament support, v-cards, etc.
•   The chairman of the Star Trek players committee (MidnightLich) has offered his support and a possible joint venture in establishing our own website.

7)   Design team – We need experienced players/designers to design promo AI cards, v-cards, errata cards.
•   The best cards that are out-of-print but remain extremely useful (such as common and uncommon cards from RotEL) could be released as promo cards (with alternate image, etc) as prize support at tournaments.
•   Banned, restricted and less than useful cards could be redesigned with errata or modified text so they can be reintroduced to the playing community (this may pose a problem without the support of GCCG).
•   V-cards could be designed to expand the current cards available.
•   V-cards can be designed to work within a range of formats – example – they may expand the card base for the Fellowship block – sets 1-3 compatible. This will make the experience of playing different formats fresh, and hopefully exciting. In doing so, the goal is to attract new players.
•   Of course, players have the option of not using these cards. Tournaments can be created that ban the use of v-cards.
•   The expansion of LOTR TCG has met with some resistance. The PC does not want to destroy the game by introducing unbalanced cards or to ban or create errata on good cards. The goal is to provide new playing experiences with a growing product. If successful, in time we may be able to create a new playing format, v-format using virtual cards only.
•   New cards (errata or v-cards) will never be designed by players lacking the experience or skill and must be approved by play-testers (step 8).

8)   Play-testing team – We need experienced playing groups to play-test v-cards and errata cards.
•   Play-testing groups will become more accessible as the people return to LOTR.
•   GCCG may be able to be used to play-test cards assuming they can be added to the card base.
•   Play-testers will need to try-out new cards in the appropriate formats and report back with feedback. Cards will be modified and retested before they are released for tournament / general use.
•   I have a different model for play-testing cards. The design team releases Beta cards for the community to test. Everyone reports back to the design team. Modifications are made as required. Only cards that meet minimal opposition and have not been found to create broken loops are released and become tournament legal. This model involves the whole community, however, the amount of feedback may become overwhelming.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:38:51 PM by chompers »

November 30, 2009, 10:07:47 AM
Reply #1

Kenddrick

Re: Players Committee Action Plan Mark II
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »
I am voting that we do Number 1, 2, 3, 6. It seems a good way to get started.

Number 2 and 6 can be set up with just some teamwork.

Number 3 might need some cooperation between the pro players on TLHH. An agreed date and timeto sit down and discuss over the chatroom or some other medium.

January 12, 2010, 01:40:29 PM
Reply #2

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 01:40:29 PM »
I have created a draft action plan (I would not be offended if another one came out). I am willing to modify and edit the current one based on all advice given. Some elements of the action plan are already (informally) in place. I will bump the action plan in hope of getting some new feedback.

I would encourage every member of this site to get involved with the PC. Part of the vision of the PC is to formalise alot of what is already happening on this website and to provide a set of easy to find resources that aid in playing the game on a separate website. We are not interested in getting rid of TLHH but working with them. We are not interested in designing a set of dream cards that will break the game.

Please vote in the poll to give us feedback as well.

January 12, 2010, 09:59:22 PM
Reply #3

Kenddrick

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:59:22 PM »
I would encourage every member of this site to get involved with the PC. Part of the vision of the PC is to formalise alot of what is already happening on this website and to provide a set of easy to find resources that aid in playing the game on a separate website. We are not interested in getting rid of TLHH but working with them. We are not interested in designing a set of dream cards that will break the game.

I agree fully with chompers! Come on you guys, let us get things going! Post your views and feedback here!

January 13, 2010, 06:08:15 AM
Reply #4

sharkey

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:08:15 AM »
I am not a big fan of V-Cards, but that is just me. Otherwise, I think the plan looks great!

January 13, 2010, 06:14:34 AM
Reply #5

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 06:14:34 AM »
Well, v-cards are a long ways off anyway.

January 13, 2010, 06:45:38 AM
Reply #6

sharkey

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 06:45:38 AM »
Yeah. I suppose if we go heavily online, then it would make sense. But not until 75% of our player base is online.

We will face a problem, though. We will have more people wanting physical cards and there are  less of them... any ideas?

January 13, 2010, 07:14:12 AM
Reply #7

HawkeyeSPF

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 07:14:12 AM »
The old-school players on decktech pretty much agree that the last three sets (Hunters, RoS, and T&D) must be excluded from any "Standard" Format the PC sanctions - there was simply too little of it produced and it creates an unfair advantage for those lucky enough to have any. Even though I've got plenty of all three of those sets, I've got to agree - not only are the cards hard, nay, impossible to find, but they are incredibly overpowered.

I think eliminating those cards from tournaments (aside from specific events or formats - open, for example) has to be one of the first steps we take and will help enormously toward bringing back old players. It probably won't hurt in bringing in new players either, knowing they don't have to worry about $300+ boxes of cards just to compete.

January 13, 2010, 07:37:05 AM
Reply #8

sharkey

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 07:37:05 AM »
Yeah, I think no RoS, T&D, and Hunters should be allowed in tournament style. I think a open should include those cards, and expanded not, maybe? Any thoughts, people?

January 13, 2010, 09:24:13 AM
Reply #9

Dogbert

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 09:24:13 AM »
Yeah. I suppose if we go heavily online, then it would make sense. But not until 75% of our player base is online.

We will face a problem, though. We will have more people wanting physical cards and there are  less of them... any ideas?

Proxies, within reason, can be made legal. There are ways around it.

As for the last three sets, I stopped playing well before they were released, but just from looking at them some of those cards are remarkably overpowered. They'll either need errata or banning. I'd favor the first, just because there is a limited pool of cards, but it's debatable.

January 13, 2010, 11:03:05 AM
Reply #10

Kenddrick

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 11:03:05 AM »
Well, there will always be talk of people wanting to errata cards, people wanting to pursue a Players Committee. Question is, are they ready to take that step and form a team, and get down to work. Much work has to be done in order for things to happen. Things will not happen overnight, and they will never happen if everyone just sits there and not take part and do something.

I'm ready and willing to pursue this PC.

Are you?

January 13, 2010, 11:11:19 AM
Reply #11

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »
Nope.
-wtk

January 13, 2010, 11:13:30 AM
Reply #12

sharkey

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »
Yes.

January 13, 2010, 12:40:52 PM
Reply #13

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 12:40:52 PM »
I am heading to a Star Trek Tournament this weekend and I feel the proposed PC can learn alot from Star Trek. Trek faced similar problems as LOTR as far as getting new and returning players to play with real cards iwth out of print card, etc.

Star Trek has allowed printable proxies for a range of common card types (non-unique personnel and ships and missions all of which are essential to play the game) to enable players to play again. They issue errata cards, promo cards and so on to bring essential cards back to the playing table. In doing so they have increased the playing base, and the value of rare cards. All of this can be achieved without producing new cards which some players are not interested in (this can be debated later is the PC is established).

I propose that the proposed PC starts small:
* Support FOTR (sets 1-3) to begin with.
* Allow printable proxies for common/uncommon minions and companions and sites.
*With set 1 and 2? still available and full sets still able to be purchased at a reasonable price an entry point is accessable for new players.
* Establish a set of promo cards to be won at tournaments (these would be most lilely from RoTEL - the best and most needed cards to play the game effectively).
* Existing players with collections should be willing to share their cards to establish a level playing field to the best of their ability.
* Permission from Decipher would need to be obtained (for printable proxies - this may be debatable - and for issue of promo cards) and we are already one step closer to achieving this.
* A website to support download of essential resources.
* An established and accepted rulebook for FOTR would help (some will say we have this but i am talking about a simple document to support newbies).
* With success, the PC can expand from there - with failure what has been lost except a bit of time playing the game we all love.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:51:48 PM by chompers »

January 13, 2010, 04:31:35 PM
Reply #14

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 04:31:35 PM »
I'm ready and willing to pursue this PC.

Are you?

If Hawkeye gets his way? #$&*@! no.

January 13, 2010, 05:43:08 PM
Reply #15

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 05:43:08 PM »
I don't think banning of large groups of cards that players have access to is the best way to go about expanding the player base and bringing new and old players back to LOTR tournaments. If you can find someone to play with and an agreed format - go for it - the proposed PC is not about stopping that from happening. The biggest issue with LOTR is a huge card base, multiple playing formats and a heap of out-of-print cards creating an unfair playing field for new players.

Focussing the attention of the proposed PC towards creating an entry point for new players is the best way forward IMO. It seems that many veteran players essentially have what they are after with GCCG and TLHH, other than perhaps a tournament circuit (but then again I don't know what it is that everyone wants to get out of LOTR).

If the proposed PC supports the FOTR block with all the necessary resources, and make it accessable to new players with printable proxies - creating an entry point for new players that is fair and accessable - you may find that everyone benefits in the long run (more players to play against, more collectors, higher value cards, etc).

I am not going to say this way is the right way - but i know it has worked well for Star Trek.

If you use this forum, surely you must still enjoy playing LOTR or at least like the game. Promoting the game is one thing, but making it accessable to new players has to also be a priority, and this has got to benefit everyone in the long run. .LOTR is a dying game if new players can't access the game - and that is a shame Whilst GCCG is a great way to play the game, it is not for everyone - some people like the social interaction and challenges that come from playing with real cards.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:49:40 PM by chompers »

January 13, 2010, 06:03:25 PM
Reply #16

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »
As pointed out - the issue with the proposed PC is not a lack of ideas - it is getting the right people on board that are willing to do something about it.

If you oppose the idea of the PC - just saying no is worthless. State your case - convince us. If you don't like the ideas of others - stating you oppose an idea but offer nothing in return is also worthless. Propose your own ideas. Disagreeing with others ideas is OK - but explain why.

I believe the core vision of the PC is to expand the player base and marketing the game helps, but i think we can do more. However, if anyone out there opposes the concept of more players, more collectors and more demand for cards - i really want to know your reasoning behind it.

The model i have proposed is tried and tested - albeit for a slightly different card game.

I guess you don't need a unified PC to put this (or another model) into place as long as your local playing group agrees to use the model (but then again this can be a challenge in itself).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:05:43 PM by chompers »

January 13, 2010, 08:37:20 PM
Reply #17

Kenddrick

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 08:37:20 PM »
Chompers, I'm ready to follow you all the way in pursuit of the PC. :)

January 14, 2010, 07:41:20 AM
Reply #18

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 07:41:20 AM »
As for the last three sets, I stopped playing well before they were released, but just from looking at them some of those cards are remarkably overpowered.
I would argue the contrary: a lot of the cards from Hunters block are at about the right power level as a lot of previous sets are significantly underpowered. Firstly, think about how many useless underpowered cards there are in earlier sets when the designers didn't really know enough about the game to do it properly. Secondly, think about the power-houses of the early game - you can't pretend that ludicrously powerful cards were not created before Hunters, between Greenleaf, Aragorn, Ranger of the North, Shire Countryside, Lady of Light and several others. So claiming Hunters block is overpowered doesn't hold water for me. Sure there are powerful cards like Thorongil and GatS, but there always are in any game - there are also useless cards like The World Ahead, and really fun cards like the Sting of Shelob. And what about cards like Last Days of My House that are just perfect?

I think the main issue with these later sets is not the power level - some of the cards are too good/useless, but a lot of them are the light level as I've vaguely demonstrated above. The issue where I think hawkeye is right is availability. I don't really know what the market is at the moment as I haven't tried to buy cards in several years, but if there are cards that some players simply can't get access to without great difficulty, then they should not be included in tournaments, or else there should be proxies available so that they can.

* Establish a set of promo cards to be won at tournaments (these would be most lilely from RoTEL - the best and most needed cards to play the game effectively).
I had a thought about this. Obviously erratas and the other methods you were talking about above for expanding the player base are excellent, but few things can match the excitement of new cards. What if the first virtual set was launched as tournament promo cards? I envisage a 5 card set, 2 minions, 2 companions and The Ruling Ring (V) that can be distributed at tournaments before the online release. One of those cards (probably the ring?) could even be a tournament only card for several months. I think done well this could generate a lot of excitement and really get the ball rolling.

I'm also working at the moment on some LotR cube drafts and other methods for existing players to do exciting things with their collection, which I will share when they're in a more finished state!

So basically, I'm definitely up for it!

January 14, 2010, 07:54:46 AM
Reply #19

sharkey

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 07:54:46 AM »
Sweet!

January 14, 2010, 10:21:27 AM
Reply #20

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 10:21:27 AM »
I've been watching what people have said and really keeping my opinions to myself, but I'm glad this is getting talked about.

Thranduil brought up an amazing idea, at least in my opinion.  I don't know how many of you guys know much about the "cube" concept, but I've seen it in SWCCG, as well as Magic.  Personally this really should be brought forward as a way of getting new people into the game, as well as fun way to play.

I would love to see a cube done for each movie perhaps starting with fellowship.

I'm all for working with the PC, I'm not great with rules, but art I can handle as well as tossing in a few ideas here and there :)

January 15, 2010, 07:07:06 AM
Reply #21

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 07:07:06 AM »
I've been watching what people have said and really keeping my opinions to myself, but I'm glad this is getting talked about.

Thranduil brought up an amazing idea, at least in my opinion.  I don't know how many of you guys know much about the "cube" concept, but I've seen it in SWCCG, as well as Magic.  Personally this really should be brought forward as a way of getting new people into the game, as well as fun way to play.

I would love to see a cube done for each movie perhaps starting with fellowship.

I'm all for working with the PC, I'm not great with rules, but art I can handle as well as tossing in a few ideas here and there :)

I really dig this idea.

January 15, 2010, 07:19:41 AM
Reply #22

Smeagollum

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 07:19:41 AM »
The old-school players on decktech pretty much agree that the last three sets (Hunters, RoS, and T&D) must be excluded from any "Standard" Format the PC sanctions - there was simply too little of it produced and it creates an unfair advantage for those lucky enough to have any. Even though I've got plenty of all three of those sets, I've got to agree - not only are the cards hard, nay, impossible to find, but they are incredibly overpowered.

I think eliminating those cards from tournaments (aside from specific events or formats - open, for example) has to be one of the first steps we take and will help enormously toward bringing back old players. It probably won't hurt in bringing in new players either, knowing they don't have to worry about $300+ boxes of cards just to compete.

I don't know if I totally agree on this. To me every card is made to be played, without exceptions. In my opinion you should use one format as a standard and that's not the standard which is called standard. I'm a big fan of the austrian format.
Then again the cards from the last block are indeed overpowered. I think the only solution to straigthen that is to give it a plausible arrata or some new ruling.

I aslo want to suggest an idea i;ve got for a long time. Instead of Establishing a set of promo cards to be won at tournaments (these would be most lilely from RoTEL - the best and most needed cards to play the game effectively). You could also create a virtual set and make prints of that which could be won at tournaments. Use pictures from existing cards and give them a new text within the legal rules of v-sets decipher has given for instance to the star wars pc.

January 15, 2010, 07:38:14 AM
Reply #23

Kenddrick

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 07:38:14 AM »
That is, IF Decipher's gives us permission. So in the meantime, I propose we set up a Marketing Team, and a Web Team.

Further details about the Marketing and Web Team can be found here.
http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php/topic,3527.msg42139.html#msg42139

January 15, 2010, 07:39:34 AM
Reply #24

Kenddrick

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 07:39:34 AM »
That is, IF Decipher's gives us permission. So in the meantime, I propose we set up a Marketing Team, and a Web Team.

Setting up those 2 teams should be our first step as a PC.

January 15, 2010, 08:01:40 AM
Reply #25

Smeagollum

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 08:01:40 AM »

I don't see why they should not give permission. They gave star wars pc permission and if we do the same there's no ground for decipher to not give their permission. But maybe it's also an idea to offer them free advertising on the new website.

January 16, 2010, 11:18:38 PM
Reply #26

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »
My 2c:

Forget about Vcards--don't even TALK about Vcards until a strong player base exists.

Run local tournaments as the locals want them. If they want Standard, play standard.

If you have no local scene, start with something cheap and easy to get into: drafting with Fship block and Towers block makes sense. A Reflections draft with Fship draft packs still can't be beat imo (well, with the exception of the King draft pack that was online-only).

Once you get enough folks playing to actually raise a voice about "broken" cards, then think about new xlist or errata. But right now I just want to see people playing the game!

I'm planning on pushing ahead with local Fship sealed and draft tournies as often as we can, and add in some Fship block constructed tournies--maybe with some fun twists, like allowing certain Reflections cards or the Wraith collection--both of which are pretty easy for us to get.

January 17, 2010, 01:54:39 PM
Reply #27

Smeagollum

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »
Maybe offtopic, but also maybe needed in the future some info about licenses for lotr products:

http://www.fiercetcg.com/old_site/
click on the site on the image: lord of the rings fanclub

But maybe you already know this....

January 18, 2010, 08:10:02 AM
Reply #28

Kenddrick

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 08:10:02 AM »
Maybe offtopic, but also maybe needed in the future some info about licenses for lotr products:

http://www.fiercetcg.com/old_site/
click on the site on the image: lord of the rings fanclub

But maybe you already know this....

I don't understand. :(

January 18, 2010, 10:40:44 AM
Reply #29

Smeagollum

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 10:40:44 AM »
If you go to the website and you click on that image you get a page about licenses.