LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The future of LOTR TCG  (Read 143451 times)

March 09, 2010, 07:14:51 PM
Reply #120

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
Re: The future of LOTR TCG
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
 :gp: for a bash against national planning. /political rambling

March 09, 2010, 07:39:08 PM
Reply #121

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2010, 07:39:08 PM »
I agree with Jared on this.  Our event was a blast and our guys now want to start doing something each month with getting together in the week just to get together and play.  

I agree with some of what has been said here but we really need to move this in front of Decipher before we can go any further with the PC side of it.  This has to be done.

I have not figured out what all we need to do for the group but that is step 1.

Before we can present step 1 to Decipher we have to set up what we plan on doing.

This is what I propose.  

1st:  Setting up a what we considered to be the standard playing environment.  I suggest using just 1-10 with Reflections being playable with the X-List that was in place when 10 was released.  

This period of time in the game is when the most people played and after polling many players this was #1.  You can as a play group do bigger events but for Worlds it would be this setup.

2nd:  We must be considered a Non Profit.  This lets Decipher write off any help they give us as a tax write off.  It lets companies that donate time and money as something they can write off.  We need this to help our organization.

3rd:  Have a website that people will visit to know what is going on with the game.  We have to build this from the ground up.  We need somewhere where people can go to get information about the game and what is happening and this is where it is at.  We will also have an ad for Fight Klub/Decipher on the front page to help them out as well.

4th.  We will have a vote on where worlds events will be played.  We will charge money for State events where people can win byes into Day 2 of Worlds, we will hold regional and national events to also get these byes.  We will start out small with this but hopefully have it grow as player groups and more events are being run.

5th.  I know everyone wants to talk about Virtual sets.  I just don't see this being something we need right away.  When new players come back they will not know these cards and I'm almost 100% sure that most will not want to use them right away.  I suggest that we do not put out anything for at least 6 months even up to a year.  We set up a group of playtesters that will look at doing a V set for each block that will be an Extended Edition for each movie.  These will be cards that help expand the environment but are not necessary to play and something that can help enhance events.  If these are successful, we will move into a V set for each of the current expansions 1-8 and 10.

6th.  Set up different areas on the website.  Design, Marketing and so forth as has been suggested recently by a poster that laid out what each of them would do.  

7th.  One person in charge with a lot of people that can help and also veto bad ideas and help direct the way that the game is going.  

8th:  I think we need a basic starter we can give out to people to get them to start playing, so two starters actually.

9th:  A Cube where players have a cube that they can play with, if you haven't played cube in Magic or SW before, it is a blast and something that anyone can play in, lots of fun and a goo way to get people back into the game. 

That are my basics to help the game get going and a start of what I think we need to move it to Decipher and present a plan that will work.  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:41:01 PM by Category1Games.com »
Visit www.CategoryOneGames.com for LOTR and Star Wars Singles, Boxes and Starters.

March 10, 2010, 09:06:38 PM
Reply #122

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »
Scott, with my web dev experience I'd be happy to contribute to a quality web site. Is there a thread somewhere that talks about the priorities for such a site?

To me, it's gotta include:
1. Player registration/accts
2. Player finder
3. Event scheduler
then...
4. Player ranking/tourney results
5. Articles--i.e. blogging

Seems a natch to set this up on WP with some serious customizations.

I wouldn't want it to have a forum that competes with these forums.

March 11, 2010, 01:07:22 AM
Reply #123

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2010, 01:07:22 AM »
Good ideas Category1Games.com and 5tein ....

I would really like to see a site that has a section that actively promotes tournaments and records players statistics/ratings. Some players would like this support, and it can only bring in more players in the long run.

Everything you have mentioned above can only benefit the game. I recommend doing most of the work behind the scenes - putting all the ideas on TLHH seems to create some angst for some members (especially when there is little progress being made). If you need help, perhaps it is best to PM interested members which can be found in Valinor.

Just my 2 cents

March 12, 2010, 10:50:00 AM
Reply #124

jcb213

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
When Hunters came out, my playgroup was only 4-6 people and we decided we didn't want to bother with what looked like ridiculous cards, so we didn't ever play with anything past Bloodlines.

So, we did something interesting - we went back to set 1 and started over.  We started with only set 1 and built decks.  We played twice a month and every month we added in another set (we delayed it a bit here and there if we couldn't get together), either updating the decks we had or building new decks, and by the end of that year we were up to set 10.  This gave some of us a chance to build decks we didn't get to play earlier and try some of the decks from the first 3 years' worlds.

I don't know if that would be a good idea or not to get returning players to come, but maybe you could do something similar but with blocks.  A lot of people stopped playing after FOTR block, so maybe start by having only sets 1-3 legal for 4 months, then add Tower block and have sets 1-6 legal for the next 4 months (with the X-list from that worlds), then add King block and reflections and have sets 1-10 (with the X-list from that worlds) legal for the last 4 months of the season leading up to some big event.  That would allow a change in environment similar to the old release schedule for cards (3 sets per year), which would help to keep the game from getting stale by playing with the same 10 sets for a whole year.  Plus, those are the most available cards and the cards that are the most well designed (with the exception of the X-list of course).

I don't know if people would like doing that or not, but we had a great time going back to older decks that just aren't viable anymore and even strategies that we thought of after the game had moved on to more sets.

March 13, 2010, 01:23:07 PM
Reply #125

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2010, 01:23:07 PM »
@jcb213 This is essentially what we're going to do locally. I hope to at least get through King block. I personally would like to see us go even through Bloodlines, though doing that complicates the game a bit much for some players, and I can understand that.

March 13, 2010, 01:35:44 PM
Reply #126

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2010, 01:35:44 PM »
5tein, are you developing a LOTR CUBE? If so can you post its contents? I'd love to set one up.

March 16, 2010, 08:15:44 AM
Reply #127

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2010, 08:15:44 AM »
shadow:

isengard: 60

uruk raider x4
uruk scout x4
uruk fighter x4
uruk warrior x4
uruk lieutenant x2
uruk captain
uruk brood x4
uruk slayer x4
troop of uruk-hai x3
orthanc assassin x2
lurtz x2
saruman, servant of the eye x2

bred for battle x2
can you protect me from yourself?
lurtz's battle cry x2
saruman's power x2
abandoning reason for madness x2
hate and anger x4

saruman's ambition x4
tower of orthanc
worry x2
uruk-hai rampage
wizard storm
spies of saruman x2

moria: 60

goblin runner x6
goblin sneak x6
moria scout x4
goblin bowman x4
goblin warrior x2
guard commander
goblin marksman x4
goblin scavengers x4
archer commander
goblin flankers x2
moria archer troop x2
cave troll of moria

goblin armory x4
relics of moria x2
they are coming x3
goblin swarms x2

goblin scimitar x6

host of thousands x2
malice x4

nazgul: 42

the witch-king, lord of angmar x2
ulaire attea, keeper of dul guldur x2
ulaire attea, the easterling x2
ulaire toldea, messenger of morgul x2
ulaire cantea, lieutenant of dol guldur x2
ulaire nelya, ringwraith in twilight x2
ulaire ostea, lieutenant of morgul x2
ulaire lemenya, lieutenant of morgul x2
bill ferny x2

nazgul sword x3
black steed x2
morgul blade x2

blade tip x3
black breath x3

morgul gates x2
news of mordor x4
frozen by fear
fear
all veils removed

sauron: 56

orc ambusher x4
orc assassin x4
orc soldier x2
orc scout x4
orc runner x4
morgul skulker x2
morgul hunter x2
orc scouting band x4
orc hunters x2
morgul skirmisher x2
tower assassin x2
orc war band x2

under the watching eye x4
orc bowmen x4

hate x4
forces of mordor x2
mordor's strength x2
enduring evil x2
shadow's reach x2

fp:

rings/sites: 15

isildur's bane x4
the prancing pony x3
hollin x2
great chasm x2
gates of argonath x2
slopes of nen hithoel x2

dwarf: 30

gimli, son of gloin
gimli, dwarf of the mountain-race
gloin
fror
farin
thrarin x2

gimli's battle axe
dwarven axe x2
hand axe
dwarven bracers
dwarven armor
gimli's helm
book of mazarbul

axe strike
cleaving blow
flurry of blows
their halls of stone
disquiet of our people
delving x2

realm of dwarrowdelf
endurance of dwarves x2
till durin wakes again x2
mines of khazad-dum
stairs of khazad-dum x2

elf: 42

arwen, daughter of elrond x2
arwen, lady undomiel
arwen, elven rider
legolas, greenleaf
legolas, son of thranduil
haldir x2
elrond, herald to gil-galad x2
saelbeth
golradir
silinde
galadriel, lady of the golden wood x2
celeborn
orophin
rumil
calaglin

long-knives of legolas
bow of the galadhrim
asfaloth x2
gwemegil x2
elven bow
vilya
nenya

the last alliance of elves and men x2
gift of the evenstar

the seen and the unseen
double shot x2
border defenses
defiance
secret sentinels x2
swan-ship of the galadhrim x2
support of the last homely house x2

gondor: 42

aragorn, ranger of the north x2
aragorn, heir of elendil x2
aragorn, king in exile
boromir, lord of gondor
boromir, defender of minas tirith x3

the saga of elendil x2
gondor bowmen x3

ranger's sword x2
aragorn's bow
flaming brand x2
blade of gondor x2
shield of boromir
armor x2
coat of mail x2
athelas x2

pathfinder
valiant man of the west
banner of the white tree
one whom men would follow x2
dagger strike x4
swordsman of the northern kingdom
sentinels of numenor
swordarm of the white tower
elendil's valor
arwen's fate

gandalf: 32

gandalf, friend of the shirefolk x2
gandalf, the grey pilgrim x2
barliman butterbur x2
albert dreary

glamdring x2
wizard staff
gandalf's cart
gandalf's staff
narya

trust me as you once did x2

servant of the secret fire x4
risk a little light x2
wielder of the flame
durin's secret
you cannot pass!
mysterious wizard
sleep, caradhras x2
a wizard is never late x2
depart silently
speak "friend" and enter
staff asunder

shire: 55

frodo, old bilbo's heir
frodo, reluctant adventurer x2
sam, faithful companion
sam, proper poet
sam, son of hamfast x2
merry, friend to sam
merry, horticulturalist
pippin, hobbit of some intelligence
pippin, mr. took
bilbo baggin, well-spoken gentlehobbit x2
hobbit party guest x2
the gaffer
farmer maggot
filibert bolger
bounder x2

sting, baggins heirloom x2
hobbit sword x6
bill the pony x2
mithri-coat

a talent for not being seen x2
stone trolls x2
o elbereth! gilthoniel!
there and back again x2
a promise x4
noble intentions x2
halfling deftness x2
practically everyone was invited x2
power according to his stature
orc-bane x2
hobbit intuition x2
hobbit stealth x2

fixed cards:FIXED (each player gets 1 copy of each after drafting):

frodo, son of drogo
the one ring, the ruling ring

pippin, friend to frodo
merry, from o'er the brandywine
legolas, prince of mirkwood
gimli, dwarf of erebor
gandalf, the grey wizard
aragorn, captain of gondor
boromir, son of denethor

the balrog, durin's bane
ulaire nertea, messenger of dol guldur
ulaire enquea, lieutenant of morgul

shire lookout point
green hill country
hobbiton woods
town center
east road
bag end
farmer maggot's fields
westfarthing
hobbiton party field
green dragon inn

midgewater marshes
midgewater moors
bree gate
weathertop
trollshaw forest
weatherhills
bree streets
breeland forest
buckleberry ferry
ettenmoors

rivendell valley
house of elrond
council courtyard
ford of bruinen
rivendell waterfall
rivendell terrace
frodo's bedroom

dwarrowdelf chamber
eregion hills
balin's tomb
pass of caradhras
moria lake
mithril mine
moria stairway

the bridge of khazad-dum

caras galadhon
dimrill dale
galadriel's glade
valley of the silverlode
lothlorien woods

the great river
anduin confluence
anduin wilderland
silverlode banks

pillars of the kings
anduin banks
brown lands

slopes of amon hen
emyn muil
tol brandir
summit of amon hen
wastes of emyn muil
Visit www.CategoryOneGames.com for LOTR and Star Wars Singles, Boxes and Starters.

March 16, 2010, 12:42:16 PM
Reply #128

legolas3333

• Information Offline
  • King
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2010, 12:42:16 PM »
uh... aragorn, captain of gondor? he is from king and everything else is fotr...
A Promo Saved is a Promo Earned

March 19, 2010, 06:42:13 AM
Reply #129

TinkerGnome

« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2010, 06:42:13 AM »
Good Day

This is my first post on these boards, and I have been reading this thread with interest. I have done nonprofit organizing in the past and maybe have some insight.

Someone mentioned creating an organizational charter. This does need to happen, and specifically a mission and vision statement. A mission statement clearly defines what an organization does, e.g. "Promote the playing of LotR TCG", and vision statement describes the desired outcome, e.g. "A vibrant and active LotR TCG community".

The point of these statements is to guide future activities, and should help define the scope.

I don't think being a nonprofit is necessary or interesting. Furthermore, the process (in the USA) of basically becoming a charity generally requires several years of demonstrated charitable giving in a corporate (in the strict sense, w/o any connotations) format. I could go on about tax law and the rest, but suffice to say that a real nonprofit  501(3) C org is just not an important goal. Becoming a not for profit organization is also complicated - not considered a charity, usually these are setup to provide a neutral ground between multiple organizations. Really, in the long run, until one is collecting a lot of money then it doesn't matter much. A real nonprofit might spend a few thousand every year just to hire an accountant to deal with the paperwork!

Actually, I think what you really want is a sponsor, someone who is serious about making a few dollars for themselves. This would provide an inertia resistant entity to keep things moving. Something like what Field Marshall Games is for Axisandallies.org. The sponsor should make sure they get their hands on as much unopened product and then sell this on the (new) site. This will give new players and obvious entry into the game. Telling people to find a few thousand cards for nothing on ebay just doesn't have the appeal of sealed decks. (Having said that, the sponsor should also likely be selling singles.)

The Hobbit movies are coming. I think we all hope to see new cards from these two movies that are playable with the old cards. I would imagine that Decipher won't be handling this license but would be looking for a reason to (over)charge for their TCG intellectual property (IP). The PC or sponsor probably needs to secure the rights to that IP ASAP. This would permit the publishing of new supplementary material that carefully skirts the Tolkien or New Line IP. At the point where the Hobbit TCG license is being offered, the existing system should be an obvious choice.

The sponsor (or whatever entity) needs to be clear about what it can handle and what in can't. Making a weak bid for the Hobbit licenses might be worse than being advocates for another bidder.

A very successful Resurrection will probably piss off a lot of you. If I were trying to grow the community, then what you all think is only interesting if one can activate you to bring more players in. The appeal first has to be to reactivate players who stopped for some reason. Going after new players will be tougher because they will need to find product at their FLGS. Basically what I'm trying to say is that in order to be successful the organization has to appeal to people who are NOT on this BBS since all of you are still active. That is really the key - not to figure out what you all would like to see, but to figure out what the folks who are not on this BBS want to see.

Anyhow I wish I could be that sponsor but I'm not sure if I love LotR TCG enough to work for $3 an hour!

best regards
Gnome

Making these really

March 19, 2010, 08:12:53 PM
Reply #130

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2010, 08:12:53 PM »
Yes, yes it would.

March 20, 2010, 02:47:27 PM
Reply #131

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »
Gnome, I think you nailed a lot in that post.

I can't imagine, however, that a sponsor could come up with the dough to bid on the IP. (Though I would be curious to find out what Decipher would, as you nicely put it, [over]charge)...)

May 04, 2010, 04:07:57 PM
Reply #132

Faelach

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
Hey All,

I am extrememly intereseted in doing anything I can to get a decent PC set up for the meantime.  That said...

I know many have mentioned in the past that if we get Decipher's endorsement and support, that they might give us some prodcut that they have left (as they did with the SW PC).  Unfortunately, this is not the case.

I had sent Cindy (WH's wife) an e-mail, asking if they had anymore of those foil sets laying around from the LotR Online finale.  She replied (very quickly) and said that they have NO product left in storage.  Hill's Wholesale Gaming bought the majority of what they had left and the rest was bought by random sellers.  Here's the text of her response:

Thanks for your kind comments about the game. We also felt it was a great game, but we have soft spots (different places!) for LOTR, ST and SW TCGs. I am sorry but we did not retain any LOTR stock, since our license expired and we were no longer allowed to sell product. If you are looking for something in particular, you might want to go to Hill's Wholesale Gaming as they bought a lot of that old inventory: http://www.wholesalegaming.biz/

Good luck!
Cindy

This is sad news....

Let's still get this PC up in running though. :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:10:13 PM by Faelach »
Do not take dragons lightly.  They are heavier than you think.

May 05, 2010, 12:12:28 AM
Reply #133

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2010, 12:12:28 AM »
From my persective i think a PC would be simpler to operate without any product. So I am not sure it matters too much that Decipher have nothing left.

If a PC had product it could be used as prize support at major tournaments which could be helpful.  However, the cost of shipping the product means the PC must generate an income (sponsors?). This likely opens up the need of someone willing to oversee finances. They would also need a volunteer to distribute the product, and perhaps a method of verifying that tournaments actually run to prevent greedy hands obtaining free product. 

If a PC is ever established it is probably going to have to start small. That doesn't mean the vision can't be big.

Without product it should be the responsibility of the tournament director to source prizes and then recoup their costs from entry fees to the tournament. Either that or run tournaments without sealed prize support but this sounds like no fun to me - opening packs is too much fun.

May 08, 2010, 07:14:37 PM
Reply #134

CategoryOneGames.com

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
    • CategoryOneGames
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2010, 07:14:37 PM »
Just to give perspective;

The Star Wars PC is heavily influenced by Scott Lingrell, this is a good thing.  Scott puts countless hours and money into the game.  Decipher gave them some items that they still had when they lost SW and the PC has used that only as prize support with most of the shipping coming from Scott's pockets.  He has run big events and also bought product himself for the PC.  If not for him the SW PC would not have taken off.

The PC here as I have stated many times should be put together to hold events, give updated rulings and help gather more players into playing.  Then if that is successful branch out from there, nothing further though until there is more time.  I would think the first big thing is to get a Worlds type event and Regionals and Country events. 

I'm a teacher and will have plenty of time this summer to devote to helping get this started with Decipher.

I already have a good relationship with them from my work with the SW PC as well as my website.  I'll also be the first website to have Fight Club on it eventually (sometime this summer).