LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Followers Returning to the Support Area  (Read 12304 times)

October 28, 2009, 09:33:54 AM
Reply #30

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: Followers Returning to the Support Area
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 09:33:54 AM »
Thranduil, that's what RedGoldStag and I were talking about a few posts above.  However, if we go by that rule, then Sam, Bearer of Great Need couldn't use his ability, right?

However, we KNOW he can use his ability, because a specific ruling on a card always trumps a ruling in the rulebook (with the exception of errata and clarifications, of course).  This would leave the Follower cards themselves in the same boat -- they specifically say on the card that they can be transferred at the start of the maneuver phase.  That means that if you choose to take their action again on the second maneuver phase, their game text should theoretically trump the rule in the book.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Followers were INTENDED to work that way, but it seems that's how they are.

October 28, 2009, 06:10:43 PM
Reply #31

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
But I don't think that BoGN is a contradiction of what the rulebook says, and is certainly no grounds for letting other cards override the rules when it doesn't specify. I and RGS and you quoted a section about aid costs from the Starter Rulebook (and sorry I didn't look close enough to see the earlier post) and so this defines the aid rules. If the helper text isn't completely clear, then that doesn't change how the rules work - just like in the case of toil. If you look at toil cards with helper text, it does not specify that you can only exert your own characters, but in the rulebook it does. This is not the cards contradicting the rules (because helper text isn't game text) it is just incomplete helper text. In my view, this is exactly the same thing that is happening in the case of followers - the rules appear to be very clear about aid costs, and a helper text can't override these rules.

Thranduil

October 28, 2009, 11:01:06 PM
Reply #32

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 11:01:06 PM »
Before I continue, for the record, I just wanna repeat that I think followers probably weren't INTENDED to go from one companion to another.

But that doesn't mean I won't keep arguing that point, 'cause, hey... I like arguing.  =P

I think it's possible that the line from the rulebook ("The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often your fellowship moves") could just be telling the player that there's no built-in mechanic that sends the Follower back to the support area.  So, in other words, it could just as easily say, "Unless either player does something about it, the Follower will continue being borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often your fellowship moves."

And we know there are things that a player CAN do to prevent that from happening -- they could use Sam, BoGN to transfer a Follower back to the support area, or the Shadow player could discard the Follower with Ill News is an Ill Guest, or whatever.  And, similarly, they could just pay the aid cost and transfer again, because there's nothing in the rulebook saying you can't transfer from one companion to another, or that you can't transfer an already-transferred Follower.

Once again, just playing devil's advocate here, but I think it's entirely possible that the line in question could be interpreted to mean, "This is what happens to Followers on a double-move if the players leave them alone.  But, obviously, there are things that can be done to them."

October 30, 2009, 05:10:50 PM
Reply #33

jdizzy001

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »
I'm with thranduil on this one. The follower is borne by the companion for the rest of the turn, no matter how often your fellowship moves.
*All posts made by jdizzy001, regardless of the thread in which they appear, are expressions of his own opinion and as such are not representative of views shared by any third party unless expressly acknowledged as such by said party.

I play LOTR SBG look at my minis!
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.124731667611081.33577.100002227457509&l=aeb5fa3bdd