LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Help making Casual Paper decks for tabletop paper play  (Read 3102 times)

March 06, 2023, 04:13:11 PM
Read 3102 times

elfwarrior

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Help making Casual Paper decks for tabletop paper play
« on: March 06, 2023, 04:13:11 PM »
I play LOTR tcg mainly online on GEMP but I play tcgs casually at the table like a board game win a non-gamer who understands tcg rules and some strategy but not deckbuilding because I once tried various tcgs and have old cards. I would like to create pairs of decks (slowly) to make entertaining games at the table. I have a lotr tcg collection that is mostly Towers Standard. I was using starters for the base of my matched decks but I was told that starters were just for learning or playing limited. And balancing lots of starters is very time consuming. I print cards only when I have no other option such as if the online 60 card version of a starter has a card I don't have. If starters is not the best I could upgrade the starters into something better. I am still very inexperienced at LOTR tcg deckbuilding. I would have to pick two decks and work on them for a long time. Balance and slowly upgrade starters maybe. I have all the Fellowship Block and towers block starters including the deluxe ones. Which pair could be upgraded into a good battle? Mine of Moria are balancedish out of hte box but not sure about the online full size versions. My modified Theoden starter is balancedish with the arogord starter at starter size, not sure about my 60 card versions. Online FOTR deluxe is ok against  online FOTR Gandalf. Modified online Theoden vs Online Deluxe TTT Gandalf seems close too. But I only had time to try each a little. That is what I know. Do I just upgrade two starters into something?

Thank You

-elfwarrior

March 11, 2023, 01:33:39 PM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Help making Casual Paper decks for tabletop paper play
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 01:33:39 PM »
What you say is true: starters are just for learning, or to form the basis of a legal deck for a local event or something. You say you are inexperienced at deckbuilding, but you've done pretty well so far I think. Making a fun deck from a limited pool of cards is always challenging, much less making two decks from the same pool that have to be at the same power level. If you've managed to get that far, regardless of how much help you've had along the way, you're as well prepared as anyone to go from there and experiment with your own decks. From the sounds of it, you may actually want one deck to be a little better than the other -- you use the worse deck, which would help balance the skill difference between someone who plays every few days and someone who plays every few months.

It's hard to know whether two decks really are balanced, but at a glance you can determine how close they are -- just compare what the cards can do. If one deck can only put out 9 strength minions while the other deck has 2 reliably 10-strength companions, you'll pretty easily be able to see how much twilight the first deck would need to be able to spend before having any impact at all. Similar checks can be made for wounds vs healing, burdens vs burden removal, conditions vs condition removal, how much strength the Ring-bearer can stand in a swarm, etc. Once you determine that they're close, though, the only way to see if they're truly balanced is to play lots of games with them.

But anyway, I'm a bit confused by the goal. You have a few pairs of decks that seem pretty good against one another, do you just want more? Starter decks intentionally don't have a lot of mechanics or even variety among them, so if you don't have a bunch of cards to build decks from and don't want to print, you're probably nearing your dead end. If you do have more cards (or are willing to print), the first resource I'll point you towards is Gemp's "Towers Standard Sealed" decks. They were made on these very forum boards by people who wanted to do something similar: https://wiki.lotrtcgpc.net/wiki/TS_Sealed
(The full history of them can be found at https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=9003.0 -- I haven't read through it, but I would assume it's got some very detailed explanations of what cards were and weren't included in these starter decks )

I've created about a dozen decks for King Standard (1-7) with the intent of printing them out and putting them in cheap sleeves on top of even cheaper cards and using them for introductory matches. Perhaps a Shadow or Free Peoples side here is of interest to you and could be adapted into a Towers Standard deck: https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=12134.msg99194

A bit farther from where you're starting, you can look into seeing if you can create any parts of Dictionary's Clash Decks which were made to be mid-level decks in Expanded (all sets legal): https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=11731.0

There may have been other initiatives in the past lurking around these boards somewhere. By searching Starter Deck I see 14 pages of results. Most of these results are talking about existing starters or return posts where members happened to use the words "starter" and "deck" in the same post. However, I know at least some results are people attempting to create new starter decks that would be competitive additions (neither too strong or too weak) to the existing Decipher ones. Whether they hit or miss is something you'll have to find out, but it's better than starting from scratch.

Finally, if deckbuilding is still intimidating, look at these resources that ket_the_jet gathered together which showcase some competitive decks and in some cases go into detail about what makes them tick: https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=10820.msg92930

Once you understand how to build a most competitive deck, making it a little less competitive is just a matter of using less efficient cards or diluting the deck's goals with other potentially-useful-but-not-crucial effects. Hobbit skirmish events in particular are very fertile ground -- they keep Frodo alive during skirmishes, but having too many of them will make it more necessary for Frodo to skirmish by weakening the rest of your deck.

March 11, 2023, 04:19:16 PM
Reply #2

elfwarrior

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: Help making Casual Paper decks for tabletop paper play
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 04:19:16 PM »
Thanks for you help.

I am looking for something for casual play at the table and wasn't quite sure if starter decks, like  was working on, would be a good starting point. I was thrown off my plan by comments about starter decks. I have pairs of decks that I can work with. Including a Theoden I modified with your help. I will go back to those. I have A bunch of towers Standard cards, and will print if I can't find an answer in my big bunch of Tower Standard cards. I want to use my actual cards first.  I did build my Modified Theoden up to 60 cards and toned it down a little to fight the Online Gandalf Starter which looks like something to build on. I have build a number of fellowships on GEMP and only got minor suggestions so I can figure this out on my own. And I have won few couple games of limited. Thank you for the encouragement. I can figure this out on my own. I let myself get intimidated.

I however might look at the towers standard starters, that I was introduced to through my first Towers Standard Sealed league. Those are divided into three Groups. Can they be paired off any which way? If I did I would want to pair something with each of the Gandalf Decks. My opponent likes Gandalf. or maybe to  save time would TS starter Dwaves/Gandaf be OK vs TS starter Roahn/Gandalf? For Group one Dwar/Gandalf vs Three Hunters?
Group Two: Rohan/Gandalf vs Gondor Knights? or Mixing series  Three Hunters ( series one) or Unbound Rangers (series 3) vs Gandalf/Rohan (Series two)?

What I have discovered: Starter Size Aragorn vs Theoden modified works enough for now, had 6 test games when you were helping me with that one. Paper King Eomer vs himself is a good game. Someone Said the Paper Mines Decks were the most balanced FOTR starters. Deluxe fotr Online does OK vs FOTR gandalf online. I will pick one project for Fellowship (Mines, has Gandalf) and One for Towers (Theoden vs Gandalf).

Thank you,

-elfwarrior