LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: ...what this is good for?  (Read 14422 times)

January 28, 2009, 11:45:35 PM
Read 14422 times

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
...what this is good for?
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »
Hi guys,

what do YOU think are cards that - according to your opinion - might have never been played/used (due to their lack of ... whatever)
...list your "favorite" five cards here

I guess this will get quite interesting!  :book:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:47:58 PM by Olorin »
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

January 29, 2009, 12:24:46 AM
Reply #1

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Re: ...what this is good for?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:24:46 AM »
The Weight of a Legacy should be on everybody's list, but I'm so tired I can't think of any other rubbish cards. I'll come up with a list.

January 29, 2009, 04:20:14 AM
Reply #2

Ringbearer

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:20:14 AM »
Frenzy of Arrows (18U79)

Still didnt find and [Orc] archer minion

January 29, 2009, 06:14:18 AM
Reply #3

TheJord

• League Director
  • Information Offline
  • King
  • High King of Rules
    • GamesCobra
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 06:14:18 AM »
Men of Harad... always be on the top for me.
"The rule of Gondor is mine!"

January 29, 2009, 08:07:10 AM
Reply #4

Elessar's Socks

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • "I see...I look foul and feel foul. Is that it?"
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:07:10 AM »
Didn't spend much time thinking about favorites, but here are five (and also I'm sure some of these have been played):

- Desert Legion. When I think of a "win more" card, I think of this. Regardless, at 5 burdens I'd sooner choose Enquea.

- Elven Defender. If you can spot an [Elven] token, Elf at death's door... takes half a step back. Meanwhile, Glorfindel is cruising at a solid 9. I think there are equivalents in other cultures, too. Basically, why go through the trouble of pumping a companion to still-laughable standards, when there are stronger companions to be had? Unless it's for thematic reasons.

- Sauron's Might. I keep thinking there's some crazy combo with it. Removing a token from Namarie is good... until you see that there are three left.

- Scintillating Bird. Great opportunity to let your opponent mess with your deck.

- Shelob, Menace. She's up against the ever-useful Her Ladyship, and the beatdown machine that is Eater of Light, so it's a tough field. Still, it seems like the first Shelob since MD could've been much more powerful. Her abilities are keyed to winning her skirmish, but she's only 8 strength and not even enduring. Her first ability depends on burdens, so that's another thing to worry about. Her second ability seems like a shaky way to give Gollum an extra skirmish if he was killed in the first (or wasn't even played). I'd love to see a deck that uses her, though--because hey, it's Shelob.

January 29, 2009, 08:18:00 AM
Reply #5

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
I am surprised that no one until now thought about

- Drawn to full height
- Ents marching

but your choices are also reasonable; and about Namarie... it's better to say ... ? - nothing... :-(
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

January 29, 2009, 08:19:35 AM
Reply #6

daisukeman

• Information Offline
  • Troll
  • Evil Bilbo is always appropiate for this forum
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:19:35 AM »
Agree with:
Men of Harad... always be on the top for me.

Raider and Sauron have the worst cards ever. How about:
* Raiders From the East (It's uncommon but really, really, REALLY nonsense. Someone explain why is it better to have 1 twilight in maneuver instead of 3 in shadow phase -not counting the exerted minion-!! You might as well leave the 3 twilight there to use in maneuver..)
For me, this is the winner.
* Southron Brigand (This is not as bad but I don't see it working very well...)
* Despair (do the math.. If there's 5 burdens that means you kill 7 companions in FotR. Make any other combinations. Seems to me shadow IS working and there's no need for that card). Might as well put 2 copies of Enquea in every FotR deck...
* Valleys of the Mark (ranger make minions roam in skirmish phases it roaming rings a bell..)
* Rohan Is Mine (what??)
* Goblin Archer (so screwed up combination of cost:strength, hability)

I guess a really bad card should be measured by some items like:
* The actual cost of the card (how feasable is it to play)
* How insane that cost is related to what effects can you perform by ability or text (relation cost-benefit)
* How often can you actually get benefit from that card. In the case of The weight of a legacy it does suck, a lot. But I think it reasons with Aragorn being present in FotR 's decks in a rate of 1 out of 2 (more or less)- and in the best decks-.
* Rarity of the card. (Sucky cards being rare is a pain in the nuts).
* ... (your item here)
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that i'm right...

January 29, 2009, 08:41:54 AM
Reply #7

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »
I guess a really bad card should be measured by some items like:
* The actual cost of the card (how feasable is it to play)
* How insane that cost is related to what effects can you perform by ability or text (relation cost-benefit)
* How often can you actually get benefit from that card. In the case of The weight of a legacy it does suck, a lot. But I think it reasons with Aragorn being present in FotR 's decks in a rate of 1 out of 2 (more or less)- and in the best decks-.
* Rarity of the card. (Sucky cards being rare is a pain in the nuts).
* ... (your item here)

Oh, then I got another one: Gandalf Bearer of Obligation

how about:
Called 7U174
Dasron 13C29 (maybe only play for burning - no, not even then I would play him!)
Ent Avenger (to less strength for the twilight cost - compare it to Aragorn or Elrond)
Miruvore 18C16

I guess Drawn to full height is still my favorite - even if Raiders From the East is a hard "opponent"

January 29, 2009, 10:15:37 AM
Reply #8

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:15:37 AM »
BoO is amazing! He allows you to start Gandalf in your starting fellowship, for FREE! :o

Thranduil

January 29, 2009, 10:43:40 AM
Reply #9

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 10:43:40 AM »
BoO is amazing! He allows you to start Gandalf in your starting fellowship, for FREE! :o

Thranduil

He allows you to lose the game for free too :) you can easily do it just by moving! That's awesome!

January 29, 2009, 10:55:16 AM
Reply #10

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »

Thranduil

He allows you to lose the game for free too :) you can easily do it just by moving! That's awesome!
There's more than enough support to stop you losing (Jarnsmid, Home and Hearth), and the benefits for having Gandalf around always are unbelievable (Inspiration, SotSF). And Gandalf has so much support including resistance bonuses that it's even less likely (Foe-hammer, Unequaled Steed so that he never has to put the Ring on). Worst comes to worst, you throw away some [Gandalf] events and get them back with Erland or Dasron. He's no way in the league of Men of Harad or The Weight of a Legacy or any of the other carp floating around this thread.

Thranduil

January 29, 2009, 11:01:01 AM
Reply #11

leokula

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 11:01:01 AM »
No, I didn't say there wasn't enough support for him, I said he loses the game on his own, and you can't say that's a lie  \:D/ :up:

January 29, 2009, 11:48:30 AM
Reply #12

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 11:48:30 AM »
No, I didn't say there wasn't enough support for him, I said he loses the game on his own, and you can't say that's a lie  \:D/ :up:
You're right! That is no lie. :lol:

Thranduil

January 29, 2009, 12:41:02 PM
Reply #13

Anonymous Prodigy

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Former Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »

Thranduil
Yeah. I've had my #$&*@! kicked numerous times by a BoO deck.

January 29, 2009, 01:35:14 PM
Reply #14

FingolfinFinwe

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 01:35:14 PM »

Thranduil

There's more than enough support to stop you losing (Jarnsmid, Home and Hearth), and the benefits for having Gandalf around always are unbelievable (Inspiration, SotSF). And Gandalf has so much support including resistance bonuses that it's even less likely (Foe-hammer, Unequaled Steed so that he never has to put the Ring on). Worst comes to worst, you throw away some [Gandalf] events and get them back with Erland or Dasron. He's no way in the league of Men of Harad or The Weight of a Legacy or any of the other carp floating around this thread.

Thranduil

I smell a BoO/Bouncing Hobbits/Home and Hearth/Inspiration deck coming on..