LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: A new mechanic... FLASH!  (Read 10421 times)

October 26, 2008, 08:34:09 PM
Read 10421 times

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
A new mechanic... FLASH!
« on: October 26, 2008, 08:34:09 PM »
I've been playing a lot of Magic recently, and it's really giving me a completely new perspective on card design in LotR, which is pretty awesome. For example, this mechanic (for which I've been trying to think of a word for it for a long time and I'm still not happy with):

Flash - Phase: cost (during the specified phase, you may play this card for its flash cost, then immediately discard it).

This, despite sharing a name with a different MTG keyword, is based on Evoke.

Let's try a few examples:

[2] Goblin Ambusher [Orc]
Minion • Orc
Str: 8
Vit: 2
Sit: 4
Flash - Skirmish: remove a threat.
To play, spot an [Orc] minion.
When you play this minion, make an [Orc] Orc strength +3 and damage +1.

[4] Uruk Flanker [Uruk]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Str: 9
Vit: 2
Sit: 5
Flash - Skirmish: remove [2].
To play, spot an [Uruk] minion.
When you play this minion, exert a companion.

[1] Throwing Knife [Gondor]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Str: +1
Flash - Archery: exert a [Gondor] Man.
Bearer must be a [Gondor] Man. May be borne in addition to 1 other hand weapon.
When you play this possession, wound a minion.

[4]Gandalf, Master of Timing [Gandalf]
Companion • Wizard
Str: 7
Vit: 4
Res: 7
Flash - Regroup: add a burden.
To play, spot a [Gandalf] card.
When you play Gandalf, discard 2 minions.
Fellowship or Regroup: Exert 3 companions to return Gandalf from your discard pile to your hand.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:47:05 PM by Thranduil »

October 26, 2008, 09:06:47 PM
Reply #1

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: A new mechanic... FLASH!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:06:47 PM »
For a MtG keyword, I'd go for Split Second for this one. For the sake of keywording it only, I think something along the lines of "Trick" or, to be simpler, "Effect" (sucks, though).
Also, unless the rules state otherwise, if you have a Gandalf on the table you can't use the ability on this one. So, you'd have to forego having a Gandalf to be able to discard minions during the regroup phase? Or the rules would be bended?
And I think some of these cards need some sort of enforcement OR added cost. I see no reason why ANY Shadow wouldn't want to play Flanker, or ANY Fellowship that wouldn't want to play Gandalf.

October 26, 2008, 10:00:26 PM
Reply #2

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 10:00:26 PM »
Also, unless the rules state otherwise, if you have a Gandalf on the table you can't use the ability on this one. So, you'd have to forego having a Gandalf to be able to discard minions during the regroup phase? Or the rules would be bended?
No, I intended for this Gandalf to be un-flashable if you have Gandalf in play already. This is one of the reason's for his other ability; so you can flash him, then play him.

And I think some of these cards need some sort of enforcement OR added cost. I see no reason why ANY Shadow wouldn't want to play Flanker, or ANY Fellowship that wouldn't want to play Gandalf.
Most of them have a "To play, spot a..." clause which is still required in order to use flash (because the keyword plays the cards before discarding them). Gandalf doesn't, though perhaps he should... Gandalf is always splashable though... :-k

Thranduil

October 27, 2008, 07:41:30 AM
Reply #3

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 07:41:30 AM »
Yes, but think about it, how broken he could be. I'm not particularly fond of a card which, basically, I see no reason why ANY deck, focusing on ANY strategy, wouldn't want to play a full set (specially in LotR, when there's no such thing as mana issues to balance it out). You get to discard 10 minions during regroup phases (specially since you can play multiples at once), AND keep a Gandalf, a 7,4,7 companion, to boot. Even the Evoke creatures have drawbacks, of course, you get to have their effect earlier (again, an issue in LotR, since it doesn't have "twilight development", you just add it and that's it), but you lose the body attached, and most evoke creatures will only be evoked in a pinch, or when you have a way to get them back (which usually requires ANOTHER card).

October 27, 2008, 08:48:58 AM
Reply #4

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 08:48:58 AM »
Yeah, 1 copy of Gandy = discard 4 minions in the regroup for 2 exertions, can you say double?
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

October 27, 2008, 10:16:01 AM
Reply #5

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:16:01 AM »
yeah gandy needs enforcement, maybe discard a spell to replay him? or add burdens...IDK
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

October 27, 2008, 10:39:56 AM
Reply #6

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:39:56 AM »
Yeah, sorry FM I completely missed your point on Gandalf! :gp:

I have now changed him so he hopefully is more balanced.

Thranduil

October 27, 2008, 10:44:47 AM
Reply #7

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:44:47 AM »
I think he is better now. However, I still think Flash should have a cost, albeit a greatly reduced one, or even an alternative one (removing threats, adding burdens, etc).

October 27, 2008, 10:46:50 AM
Reply #8

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 10:46:50 AM »
I think he is better now. However, I still think Flash should have a cost, albeit a greatly reduced one, or even an alternative one (removing threats, adding burdens, etc).
My problem was that LotR always assigns abilities to specific phases and I wasn't sure whether I wanted to have 2 sub categories associated with a single keyword; so I opted to put any extra cost required in the game text of the card instead. It could just as easily work the other way, though, if you think it's clearer.

Thranduil

October 27, 2008, 10:50:49 AM
Reply #9

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 10:50:49 AM »
Maybe do something simple like this (using the Flanker and Master of Timing as examples):

Flash - Skirmish: [2].

Flash - Regroup: Add a burden.

Then it's worded somewhat like followers. For the first, you can play it during the skirmish phase by paying [2], and for the second, you can play it during regroup by adding a burden. Seems simple enough to me....
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

October 27, 2008, 10:53:39 AM
Reply #10

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 10:53:39 AM »
Maybe do something simple like this (using the Flanker and Master of Timing as examples):

Flash - Skirmish: [2].

Flash - Regroup: Add a burden.

Then it's worded somewhat like followers. For the first, you can play it during the skirmish phase by paying [2], and for the second, you can play it during regroup by adding a burden. Seems simple enough to me....
Absolutely fair enough and I might do it, though it does make the Flanker subtly different - currently you have to remove [2] to exert a guy when you play it as a normal minion, but with the updated wording you would only remove [2] during the skirmish phase.

Thranduil

October 27, 2008, 11:40:14 AM
Reply #11

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 11:40:14 AM »
Not really, you'd remove 2 in the skirmish phase to PLAY him, and THEN, when you play him, remove 2 more.

October 27, 2008, 12:18:55 PM
Reply #12

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »
I think having the ability regular come into play- exert with no twilight cost would be sweet if you up the cost of the minion to 4.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

October 27, 2008, 12:48:01 PM
Reply #13

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 12:48:01 PM »
I've gone for a rejig of the keyword and a change of focus on the cards. Check 'em out! Notice that their abilities are now mandatory, just like most events.

Thranduil

October 27, 2008, 01:23:14 PM
Reply #14

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
Wow, Ambusher seems really strong. Also, unrelated issue, but if you have been playing a lot of MtG lately, how came I don't have you on MSN so we can play on MWS? You DO play on MWS< right?