LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Lands of Shadow - How Insightful. (12/18)  (Read 40571 times)

December 15, 2008, 08:52:15 AM
Reply #90

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: Lands of Shadow - Some Racy Cards. (12/10)
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2008, 08:52:15 AM »
Quote from: menace64
[4] •Aragorn, The King Returned [Gondor]
Companion • Man
Strength 8
Vitality 4
Resistance 8
Unbound companions of a different culture are strength +1 for each [Gondor] alliance you spot.
Fellowship: Exert Aragorn to play a companion. That companion is twilight cost -1.
"Aragorn stood beneath his banner, silent and stern, as one lost in thought of things long past or far away; but his eyes gleamed like stars that shine the brighter as the night deepens."
M1R20

Thran and lem0n are all over this already, as usual. :fire: For the fellowship ability, perhaps instead make Aragorn's cost -1 for each FP culture you can spot. 'Twould help encourage some really blended starting fellowships...and if you did things right, you might even be able to squeeze Aragorn himself in there, too! (Say, a [Gondor] RB, a [1]-cost Hobbit, and...uh...Aldred?) Perhaps you could tweak his stats a LITTLE bit by giving him a Hobbit-like 9 resistance. THAT would be fun.

[3] Great Need of Aid [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Alliance: [Rohan]. To play, spot 3 Men companions.
At the start of the maneuver phase, if you can spot more minions than companions, you may spot a [Gondor] companion to reveal the top 3 cards of your draw deck. You may play a revealed companion to draw one of those cards and discard the other.
"‘A week!' said Hirgon. ‘If it must be so, it must. But you are like to find only ruined walls in seven days from now, unless other help unlooked-for comes. Still, you may at the least disturb the Orcs and Swarthy Men from their feasting in the White Tower.'"
M1C23

I like Thran's suggestion, but I ALSO like the possibility of getting another card. Hmmmm. :-k How about this?

"At the start of the maneuver phase, if you can spot more minions than companions, you may spot a [Gondor] companion to reveal the top 5 cards of your draw deck. You may play a revealed companion and take a card of that companion's culture into hand. Reshuffle your draw deck."

Also, I think it should be "3 Man companions" on the "to play" line.

[2] The Hour of Men [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Alliance: [Rohan]. To play, spot 2 Man companions, each of a different culture.
At the start of the regroup phase, you may exert a [Gondor] Man to heal a Man of another culture.
Skirmish: Exert a Man companion to make another Man companion strength +1 (limit +2) and damage +1 (limit +2).
"…and there fair and desperate was raised the banner of the White Tree and Stars. Upon the other hill hard by stood the banners of Rohan and Dol Amroth, White Horse and Silver Swan. And about each hill a ring was made facing all ways, bristling with spear and sword."
M1R26

The only "problem" is that this supports [Gandalf] Men as well. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you didn't intend that, I'd change each reference of "Man" in the skirmish ability to "[Gondor] Man", which thanks to the alliance will actually allow [Gondor] OR [Rohan] Men to use it, but not others. Not that it matters too much, but I'd also make this unique so the Shadow player has a better chance of getting it off the table. Then raise the cost slightly, and I think it's good. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

December 15, 2008, 11:09:30 AM
Reply #91

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
Re: Lands of Shadow - Race Relations. (12/14)
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »
[4] •Aragorn, The King Returned [Gondor]
Companion • Man
Strength 8
Vitality 4
Resistance 8
Unbound companions of a different culture are strength +1 for each [Gondor] alliance you spot.
Fellowship: Exert Aragorn to play a companion. That companion is twilight cost -1.
"Aragorn stood beneath his banner, silent and stern, as one lost in thought of things long past or far away; but his eyes gleamed like stars that shine the brighter as the night deepens."
M1R20
maybe companion of different culture? and make it -2 than. or maybe make it a same culture minus 2...

[3] Great Need of Aid [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Alliance: [Rohan]. To play, spot 3 Men companions.
At the start of the maneuver phase, if you can spot more minions than companions, you may spot a [Gondor] companion to reveal the top 3 cards of your draw deck. You may play a revealed companion to draw one of those cards and discard the other.
"‘A week!' said Hirgon. ‘If it must be so, it must. But you are like to find only ruined walls in seven days from now, unless other help unlooked-for comes. Still, you may at the least disturb the Orcs and Swarthy Men from their feasting in the White Tower.'"
M1C23
fine.

[2] The Hour of Men [Gondor]
Condition • Support Area
Alliance: [Rohan]. To play, spot 2 Man companions, each of a different culture.
At the start of the regroup phase, you may exert a [Gondor] Man to heal a Man of another culture.
Skirmish: Exert a Man companion to make another Man companion strength +1 (limit +2) and damage +1 (limit +2).
"…and there fair and desperate was raised the banner of the White Tree and Stars. Upon the other hill hard by stood the banners of Rohan and Dol Amroth, White Horse and Silver Swan. And about each hill a ring was made facing all ways, bristling with spear and sword."
M1R26
I really think the film didn't give the battle of the black gate justice.  it wasn't a suicidal charge, it was a tactically sound (somewhat) plan.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

December 15, 2008, 10:16:12 PM
Reply #92

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Lands of Shadow - Warning: Gornographic Material. (12/16)
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »
Sorry, SoP, but there was nothing 'tactically sound' about storming the Black Gate beyond the mere possibility of giving Frodo more time to accomplish his task. In the book everybody knew that there would never be a real chance to win such a battle.

Aragorn is now infinitely 'cooler' in my opinion, having taken on Dain's suggestion. He now enters play more easily with more races in the fellowship... which is sooooo flavorful that I didn't even consider *not* making the change. He's also got that 9 resistance. Great Need of Aid has also been changed in accordance with the reviews.

As for The Hour of Men, I did see [Gandalf] Men taking advantage of it when I wrote it but at the time I thought that was just an added 'cool' bonus of the card. Now (as I slowly tinker with a follow-up set) I realize there's plenty of design space for [Gandalf] alliances so they don't need this one.

Three Gorn-specific cards today:

(0) Black Banners [Gondor]
Event • Skirmish
Exert Aragorn to make an unbound companion strength +3 (and gain flanking until the regroup phase if you can spot a Shadow alliance).
"And looking hither they cried in dismay; for black against the glittering stream they beheld a fleet borne up on the wind: dromunds, and ships of great draught with many oars, and with black sails bellying in the breeze."
M1C22

Flanking (If this companion is not assigned to a skirmish, at the start of another of your character's skirmishes, you may exert this companion to replace that character in the skirmish).

Pretty spot-on with the flavor of the moment - Aragorn arrives unexpectedly and cuts into Sauron's forces from the rear, routing them and helping win the day.

[2] The Path of Prophecy [Gondor]
Condition
Resistance +1
Bearer must be a unique [Gondor] companion. Limit 1 per bearer.
Each time the fellowship moves, if bearer is not exhausted, you may play the fellowship's next site.
Regroup: If bearer is Aragorn, discard this condition to reconcile your hand.
"He stood up. ‘Come!' he cried, and drew his sword, and it flashed in the twilit hall of the Burg. ‘To the Stone of Erech! I seek the Paths of the Dead. Come with me who will!'"
M1U28

It's been a while since one of these cards came up, but in Lands of Shadow there is a cycle of conditions that reconciles your hand. This is one of them.
You might be inclined to immediately jump on this card as too good; don't forget though that [Gondor] is naturally very good at site manipulation, just like [Wraith] and [Gollum]. Since, in my opinion, [Gondor] got shafted with so many other things (no condition removal, no real archery, no double-moving, and more I can't think of), I say this should be one area where they have domain. Which explains this card.

[1] The Tide is Broken [Gondor]
Event • Skirmish
Spot Aragorn. For each alliance of a different culture you can spot, make an unbound companion strength +2.
"And in that hour the great Battle of the field of Gondor was over; and not one living foe was left within the circuit of the Rammas. All were slain save those who fled to die, or to drown in the red foam of the River. Few ever came eastward to Morgul or Mordor; and to the land of the Haradrim came only a tale from far off: a rumour of the wrath and terror of Gondor."
M1U32

...another strength pump. In Lands of Shadow there are alliances in the [Dwarven], [Elven], [Gondor], [Raider] and [Sauron] cultures. Expect more in the next set. But in a normal game you'd have to build a deck around this kind of event, netting you in such a deck anywhere from +2 to +6 or +8 strength. Hmm. It's a very risky kind of event since you might lose Aragorn or just have no alliances to spot... but it still might be too good. Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 10:20:23 PM by menace64 »

December 16, 2008, 12:54:14 AM
Reply #93

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: Lands of Shadow - Warning: Gornographic Material. (12/16)
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2008, 12:54:14 AM »
Aragorn is now infinitely 'cooler' in my opinion, having taken on Dain's suggestion. He now enters play more easily with more races in the fellowship... which is sooooo flavorful that I didn't even consider *not* making the change. He's also got that 9 resistance. Great Need of Aid has also been changed in accordance with the reviews.
He is cooler, but the 9 resistance is pushing the limit of balance - Aragorn's 8/4/8 is generally overpowered as it is.

Event • Skirmish
Exert Aragorn to make an unbound companion strength +3 (and gain flanking until the regroup phase if you can spot a Shadow alliance).
"And looking hither they cried in dismay; for black against the glittering stream they beheld a fleet borne up on the wind: dromunds, and ships of great draught with many oars, and with black sails bellying in the breeze."
M1C22
It has to spot Aragorn or it wouldn't really see play (you can't depend on Shadow alliances). Or perhaps it could spot [Gondor] alliances and then it might be played with the exertion.

Condition
Resistance +1
Each time the fellowship moves, if bearer is not exhausted, you may play the fellowship's next site.
"He stood up. ‘Come!' he cried, and drew his sword, and it flashed in the twilit hall of the Burg. ‘To the Stone of Erech! I seek the Paths of the Dead. Come with me who will!'"
M1U28
No, I'm afraid this just seems vastly too good to me. This is not like Pathfinder or Ranger of Wesernesse because it sticks around and plays every site. And, it gives you reconciling which is certainly not a strength of the [Gondor] culture. Make it follow the model of Follow Sméagol and probably make it unique or only bearable by Aragorn and it might just be okay.

Event • Skirmish
Spot Aragorn. For each alliance of a different culture you can spot, make an unbound companion strength +2.
"And in that hour the great Battle of the field of Gondor was over; and not one living foe was left within the circuit of the Rammas. All were slain save those who fled to die, or to drown in the red foam of the River. Few ever came eastward to Morgul or Mordor; and to the land of the Haradrim came only a tale from far off: a rumour of the wrath and terror of Gondor."
M1U32
Do you mean "each alliance of a different culture from Aragorn" or "each alliance which has a different culture from the other alliances you're spotting"? It's not entirely clear. If you mean the latter, you should probably change the first sentence to "To play, spot Aragorn." and put the ability on a separate line. If you mean the former, you should specify.

Thranduil

December 16, 2008, 01:15:29 AM
Reply #94

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2008, 01:15:29 AM »

Event • Skirmish
M1C22

Fair enough.

Condition
Resistance +1
M1U28

Hmmm as its non unique you could have 4 copies of this and youre practically guaranteed the next site. Unique it or change that line, its gives the shadow little chance to prevent it.

Event • Skirmish
M1U32

To play spot Aragorn surely? Its ok.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

December 16, 2008, 06:12:01 AM
Reply #95

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2008, 06:12:01 AM »
I'd limit the condition to playing on Aragorn. Also, as they said, it should then be unique, otherwise it's +4 Resistance to [Gondor] ARBs, for one, with TWO good abilities, one of them which helps neuter corruption even more! However, as an incentive to playing more copies in your deck, I'd probably change the text a little, either allowing it to be played during the maneuver/skirmish/regroup phase (probably maneuver) but costing 1 or 2 exertions to do so, aside from the twilight, and cram both existing abilities in one line, giving a choice. When the fellowship moves, if bearer is not exhausted, you can either play the next site or discard it to reconcile (which would then make it worth it to play another one in the "middle" of a turn,
possibly going for a triple move?).
The alliance pump is fine, but I don't like the first pump very much. Exerting a SPECIFIC companion, not to mention one you might be building your deck around (so the Shadow player will be trying to get him) and need not to be exhausted, is not that appealing to me. Perhaps spotting him would be fine, with a [1] cost, and maybe a line that only allows you to play one of these per turn.

December 16, 2008, 07:44:24 AM
Reply #96

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2008, 07:44:24 AM »
I agree with the others, and FM in particular. I highly recommend [1] cost and no exertion for Black Banners, keeping No Mere Ranger in mind.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

December 16, 2008, 10:15:48 AM
Reply #97

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2008, 10:15:48 AM »
Sorry, SoP, but there was nothing 'tactically sound' about storming the Black Gate beyond the mere possibility of giving Frodo more time to accomplish his task. In the book everybody knew that there would never be a real chance to win such a battle.
I highly disagree.  just for the pure heck of it mostly ;)
lets review their battle plan in the movie.  march up, attract saurons attention and die spectacularly.  and also really fast.  a defensive circle is ok, but than you charge a superior force? stupid stupid stupid.  add to that the fact that they are lacking archers and horseman...
in the book they do damage before they reach the gate...making sure sauron's eye is watching them, take the high ground and DON'T leave it, and leave some force behind in case they lose.  And they aren't stupid enough to behead his messenger.

plus they were surprised and surrounded...they had planned to have an avenue of retreat.  in the movie they are just like oh cwap. and charge the wrong way.

anyway the cards have been beaten to death already.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:25:33 AM by sickofpalantirs »
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
SoP's Trade List

December 18, 2008, 09:33:14 PM
Reply #98

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »
Black Banners is changed. I'll make some kind of edit on Path of Prophecy in accordance with the reviews; I'm just too tired to think right now.

I wanted to go ahead and put up more cards... not quite what you'll be expecting though.

(W) Bitter-fought Field [2]
Battleground. Plains. Each time a character wins a skirmish, that character's owner must exert another of his or her characters or discard 2 cards from hand.
M1U130

I wanted a generic site that hurt a player for doing good. This is what came out of that desire.

(W) Linhir [3]
Dwelling. River. Fellowship: Spot Aragorn and play an unbound companion to draw a card.
M1U133

Probably doesn't need to cost [3]. In fact, it's probably fine as [1]. But this card ties in the Aragorn/Grey Company theme and plays nicely off of the moment in the story (Linhir is the port where Aragorn pulls takes command of the corsair fleet).

(W) Far Harad [1]
When the fellowship moves from Far Harad, each Shadow player may take a mount into hand from his or her draw deck.
M1C132

Maybe it should cost 2?

December 19, 2008, 02:32:30 AM
Reply #99

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2008, 02:32:30 AM »

Battleground. Plains. Each time a character wins a skirmish, that character's owner must exert another of his or her characters or discard 2 cards from hand.
M1U130

Urgh wtf? Why would you want a card that hurt everyone? Theres hurting everyone then theres royally shafting everyone up the bottom. This is the latter.

(W) Linhir [3]
Dwelling. River. Fellowship: Spot Aragorn and play an unbound companion to draw a card.
M1U133

The ability isnt amazing for a cost 3.

(W) Far Harad [1]
When the fellowship moves from Far Harad, each Shadow player may take a mount into hand from his or her draw deck.
M1C132

No cost is fine.

Maybe it should cost 2?
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

December 19, 2008, 06:14:20 AM
Reply #100

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Re: Lands of Shadow - How Insightful. (12/18)
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2008, 06:14:20 AM »
I'd make them cost (0), [1], and (0) personally.
Best regards,
Dáin

December 19, 2008, 07:08:39 AM
Reply #101

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2008, 07:08:39 AM »
M1U130
I would not have the discarding 2 cards from hand option and make it cost (0). This would be rocking for all enduring strategies!

(W) Linhir [3]
M1U133
Well, the fact that this site is for the FP player makes it cost at least [2] in my eyes.

(W) Far Harad [1]
M1C132[/quote]
Again, this one only helps the Shadow players and therefore should cost (0).

Thranduil

December 19, 2008, 11:35:32 AM
Reply #102

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
Re: Lands of Shadow - How Insightful. (12/18)
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2008, 11:35:32 AM »
Black Banners is changed. I'll make some kind of edit on Path of Prophecy in accordance with the reviews; I'm just too tired to think right now.

I wanted to go ahead and put up more cards... not quite what you'll be expecting though.

M1U130
I would put it at 1 personally.

(W) Linhir [3]
M1U133
nah. 3's fine.

(W) Far Harad [1]
M1C132
fine
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List