LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Way Into Mordor - Isengard (12/31: Token Machine Stuff)  (Read 95295 times)

May 29, 2008, 11:00:49 AM
Read 95295 times

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Well, now that the move over here is about as complete as it's going to get, I think it's time to stop just posting random cards and get back on track, working through my third DC set--my Two Tower centric set--The Way Into Mordor.

For those who faithfully reviewed my cards at CC, you probably remember I was working my way through the [Isengard] culture. I had already done [Isengard] Men and a couple different versions of Saruman, but there is much, MUCH more still to do. I was working through Uruk trackers at the time of CC's untimely demise, and after that we still have warrior Uruks (like those at Helm's Deep) and Orcs and perhaps a few other surprises as well. :twisted:

For now, though, let's get back to the trackers. To review, here are the cards I had already posted:

[4]Uglúk, Patrol Leader [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 9
Vitality: 3
Site: 5
Tracker. Fierce. Hunter 2.
The roaming penalty for each other [Isengard] tracker you play is -2.
Each time Uglúk wins a fierce skirmish, you may exert 2 trackers (or 1 tracker twice) to capture a companion assigned to skirmish an [Isengard] tracker.
"‘We took the prisoners....We came out of Isengard, and led you here, and we shall lead you back by the way we choose.'"

[3]Mauhúr, Expert Scout [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 8
Vitality: 2
Tracker. Fierce. Hunter 1.
While the fellowship is at a battleground, forest, or plains site, each other [Isengard] tracker gains hunter 1 and you may play Mauhúr any time you could play an assignment event.
Assignment: Exert Mauhúr to play an [Isengard] tracker from your hand. That tracker gains hunter 2 until the regroup phase.
"Then suddenly the answering cries of orc-voices came...from the direction of the forest and the mountains. Mauhúr had apparently arrived...."

[5]Lugdush, Isengarder [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 10
Tracker. Fierce.
Each unbound Hobbit is strength -1.
Skirmish: Exert Lugdush to cancel a skirmish involving an [Isengard] tracker. The Free Peoples player may make the move limit -1 for this turn to prevent this.
"‘Put those Halflings down!' ordered Uglûk....‘You, Lugdush, get two others and stand guard over them!'"

[2] Uruk Captor [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 5
Tracker. Fierce.
While you can spot another tracker, this minion gains hunter 2 for each captured companion you can spot (or hunter 3 if that companion is a Hobbit).
"‘Kill all but NOT the Halfings; they are to be brought back ALIVE as quickly as possible.'"

[3] Uruk Trailer [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 6
This minion is strength +1 for each search card you can spot.
"‘And we march day and night. That clear?'"

[3] Uruk Traveler [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Each time a search card is played on a companion, you may exert this minion to exert that companion.
"‘We'll find a use for your legs before long. You'll wish you had got none before we get home.'"

These all seemed to be approved by reviewers, so let's get going again with some all-new cards. Enjoy! ;D

[2] Uruk Shadower [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Vitality: 1
Tracker. Fierce. Lurker.
Each time an [Isengard] tracker wins a fierce skirmish, this minion is strength +2 and damage +1 until the regroup phase.
"‘We have ways of paying for tricks that you won't like, though they won't spoil your usefulness for the Master.'"

[3] Uruk Hounder [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
During a fierce skirmish involving this minion, it is strength +3 and damage +1.
"Boromir had blown his great horn till the woods rang, and at first the Orcs had been dismayed and had drawn back; but when no answer but the echoes came, they had attacked more fierce than ever."

[5]Isengarder Company [Isengard]
Minion • Uruk-hai
Strength: 11
Tracker. Fierce.
While you can spot 2 other hunters, Isengarder Company gains hunter 2.
While you can spot 2 other trackers, Isengarder Company is damage +1.
At the start of each skirmish involving Isengarder Company, each character in that skirmish bearing a search card must exert.
"‘We are the fighting Uruk-hai! We slew the great warrior.'"

Some old-school trackers, especially Uruk Hounder (which is a very close relative of no less than four trackers: Uruk Chaser, Uruk Runner, Uruk Foot Soldier, and Uruk Plains Runner). Uruk Shadower is in the same vein, while the Isengarder Company is a big Uruk group that gets better under certain conditions, like a number of similiar [Uruk] Uruks.

Again, several references to search cards. We'll get to some--old and new--shortly, I promise. :ninja:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:40:43 PM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

May 29, 2008, 03:55:48 PM
Reply #1

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: The Way Into Mordor - Isengard (5/29: Back to tracking....)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »
Minion • Uruk-hai
Tracker. Fierce. Lurker.
Each time an [Isengard] tracker wins a fierce skirmish, this minion is strength +2 and damage +1 until the regroup phase.
"‘We have ways of paying for tricks that you won't like, though they won't spoil your usefulness for the Master.'"
Perhaps this guy could have 2 separate abilities, one for normal skirmishes that lasts until the fierce assignment phase, then the one above.

Minion • Uruk-hai
During a fierce skirmish involving this minion, it is strength +3 and damage +1.
"Boromir had blown his great horn till the woods rang, and at first the Orcs had been dismayed and had drawn back; but when no answer but the echoes came, they had attacked more fierce than ever."
Fair enough.

Minion • Uruk-hai
Tracker. Fierce.
At the start of each skirmish involving Isengarder Company, each character in that skirmish bearing a search card must exert.
Looks good I think. But I'm always bad at balancing big minions...

Thranduil

May 29, 2008, 06:14:05 PM
Reply #2

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:14:05 PM »
Minion • Uruk-hai
Tracker. Fierce. Lurker.
ditto thran

Minion • Uruk-hai
cut hunter to 1

Minion • Uruk-hai
Tracker. Fierce.
fine
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

May 30, 2008, 01:28:54 AM
Reply #3

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:28:54 AM »

Minion • Uruk-hai
Tracker. Fierce. Lurker.

Nice balance with the fierce thing but still really nasty.

Minion • Uruk-hai

Hmmm again really nasty.

Minion • Uruk-hai
Tracker. Fierce.

Arent all your isengard hunters trackers?

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

May 30, 2008, 08:31:42 AM
Reply #4

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:31:42 AM »
Quote from: lem0nhead
Arent all your isengard hunters trackers?

Not necessarily. The majority of trackers are also hunters, yes, but not all. And there are a few hunters that are not trackers.

But we'll get to them later. For now, we stick with our trackers, and finally get to some of the promised search cards. Old-school LOTR TCG players will probably remember these from the Tower block, though Big D didn't do as much with them as they could have, and thus it was only a moderately effective strategy (much like [Isengard] Men and their conditons that played on companions, which we covered at the start of this culture over at CC). I hope to make it a little more painful--and thus more viable--without being overpowered. Let's see how I do...enjoy!

First, we'll get a couple reprints out of the way....

[1] Weary [Isengard] (reprint)
Condition
Search. Plays on a Free Peoples character. Limit 1 per bearer.
Each time the Free Peoples player assigns bearer to skirmish an [Isengard] tracker, bearer must exert.
"‘There is some will that lends speed to our foes and sets an unseen barrier before us....'"

[1] Many Riddles [Isengard] (reprint)
Condition
Strength -1
Search. To play, exert an [Isengard] tracker. Plays on a companion (except the Ring-bearer).
Assignment: Exert an [Isengard] tracker and remove [2] to assign that tracker to bearer. Bearer may exert to prevent this.
"‘Aragorn and his companions searched far and wide about the field of battle, but the light faded, and evening soon drew down, dim and misty.'"

Hopefully you can tell what I'm going for with search by these two cards I've brought back: exerting and some direct assigning. To me, these concepts make the most sense with trackers, as they're after specific targets and those targets have to work hard to stay away from the rabid Uruks on their tail. :twisted:

Here's a new one in this same vein....

[1] Wasted on Cross-Country [Isengard]
Condition
Strength -1
Search. To play, exert an [Isengard] tracker. Plays on an unbound companion. Limit 1 per bearer.
Each time the fellowship moves during the regroup phase, the Free Peoples player must add [3] or wound bearer.
"‘Three days and nights pursuit. No food, no rest, no sign of our quarry but what bare rock can tell.'"

You can try to run away down the sitepath, but if you do, you have to work extra hard (wound) or make it easier on your pursuers to harass you (adding twilight). Not a very pleasant choice, eh? Perhaps it's better to take a rest while you can and NOT try double-moving, eh?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:55:53 AM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

May 30, 2008, 08:46:09 AM
Reply #5

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:46:09 AM »
I think I'd prefer a reduced cost for reduced ability. I'd be more likely to spend [1] for adding [2] than [2] for [3].

Thranduil

May 30, 2008, 05:01:16 PM
Reply #6

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
listen to the elf ;)
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
SoP's Trade List

June 02, 2008, 01:55:46 AM
Reply #7

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Id prefer a reduced cost for the same ability. Theres no way this 1 card is worth 2 for 3 or 1 for 2. 1 for 3 makes it useable as you cant guarantee youre facing a running fellowship. And for it to target just one comp per card. Gotta be just change the cost.

June 02, 2008, 07:58:12 AM
Reply #8

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Alright, changed as suggested.

Here's a new one, and another reprint to make all search cards more viable. Enjoy!

[2] A Bitter End [Isengard]
Condition
Resistance -1
Search. To play, exert an [Isengard] tracker. Plays on an unbound companion. Limit 1 per bearer.
Each time bearer exerts, you may exert an [Isengard] tracker to make the Free Peoples player choose one: exert bearer again; or make bearer strength -2 until the regroup phase.
"‘The stars are faint; and I am weary as I have seldom been before, weary as no Ranger should be with a clear trail to follow.'"

(0) Kill Them Now [Isengard] (reprint)
Event • Shadow
Make an [Isengard] tracker strength +2 (or +4 if skirmishing a character bearing a search card).
"‘Evening's coming on, and we ought to get a move on.'"
Best regards,
Dáin

June 02, 2008, 08:00:31 AM
Reply #9

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit

Here's a new one, and another reprint to make all search cards more viable. Enjoy!

Condition
Resistance -1
Each time bearer exerts, you may exert an [Isengard] tracker to make the Free Peoples player choose one: exert bearer again; or make bearer strength -2 until the regroup phase.
"‘The stars are faint; and I am weary as I have seldom been before, weary as no Ranger should be with a clear trail to follow.'"

Wow thats sick on eowyn greenleaf etc. Might tone it down a bit to maybe no resistance loss or unique.

June 02, 2008, 08:02:49 AM
Reply #10

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard

Condition
Resistance -1
Again, doesn't seem worth [2]. [1] would probably be fine. Though I'd like something simpler as it seems a bit too complex now. Maybe 'Each time bearer exerts, he or she is strength -1 until the regroup phase.

Wow thats sick on eowyn greenleaf etc. Might tone it down a bit to maybe no resistance loss or unique.
I really can't see it's that good. It takes [2] from the pool and exerts a tracker to play, then you have to exert a tracker each time you want to use its ability.

Thranduil

June 02, 2008, 08:10:39 AM
Reply #11

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Quote from: Thranduil
Quote from: DáinIronfoot
Condition
Resistance -1

Again, doesn't seem worth [2]. [1] would probably be fine. Though I'd like something simpler as it seems a bit too complex now. Maybe 'Each time bearer exerts, he or she is strength -1 until the regroup phase.

For once, overruled. The main point of this is to force the FP player to exert again, as such a stiff strength reduction could mean the difference between mere defeat and overwhelming...especially with some of the staple exert-for-cool-ability companions lem0n mentioned. I think a pat -1 reduction would make this a very weak card.

Quote from: Thranduil
Quote from: lem0nhead

I really can't see it's that good. It takes [2] from the pool and exerts a tracker to play, then you have to exert a tracker each time you want to use its ability.

Yes, but the fact that it practically shuts down some of the most powerful companions in the game makes it plenty good, methinks. I'd rather leave it as is, especially since one reviewer thinks it's OP and the other thinks it's UP. That usually means it's perfect. :P
Best regards,
Dáin

June 02, 2008, 08:59:02 AM
Reply #12

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Re: The Way Into Mordor - Isengard (6/2: "Evening's coming on....")
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 08:59:02 AM »
It's fine. Putting the hurt on powerful companions is never bad.

June 02, 2008, 10:52:24 AM
Reply #13

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 10:52:24 AM »

Condition
Resistance -1
I wikey...

so one think sits OP, one thinks its UP and one thinks its perfect...and then theres menace ;)
Felipe Musco:
Elf Lvr:
SoP's Trade List

June 02, 2008, 04:09:27 PM
Reply #14

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 04:09:27 PM »
so one think sits OP, one thinks its UP and one thinks its perfect...and then theres menace ;)

But you forget... only my opinion matters.  :twisted: