LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Way Into Mordor - Raiders (10/9: Who says site control & archery don't mix?)  (Read 10189 times)

September 23, 2008, 12:17:15 PM
Read 10189 times

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
A long long LONG time ago, way back in Octber of last year, I began working on the [Raider] culture over at CC for my middle set The Way Into Mordor. I kept bogging down and coming back, moving slowly through the culture in fits and spurts. But now, I resolve to do better. Or at least try really hard to do so. Maybe. :whistle:

I've really struggled with giving this culture an identity in this set, and at least part of that is because I haven't really used it much in real life. I know very little about it, and while I'm trying to take a crash course, it's been tough.

But I WILL try to get some regular posts going for this culture again, even if it's just once or twice a week, and make some steady progress. I feel like I can't really move on to other cultures like [Dunland], [Gollum], [Elven], and others until I finish [Raider] and another long-neglected culture (also begun in 2007): the [Isengard] culture.

So, let's get back up to speed with all the cards I had posted at CC and see if that can light a fire under my butt to get moving with these guys again. :up:

Feel free to review (or re-review) any of these you think need additional touching up, but these have all already been subject to reviewers' scrutiny, so it's not strictly necessary to review any of them...especially since there are so many! Any comments you want to toss in (or suggestions for other cards) ARE greatly appreciated, though. ;)

[2] Desert Bandit [Raider]
Minion • Man
Strength: 5
Vitality: 2
Site: 4
Southron. Hunter 1.
While you can spot 2 other [Raider] Men, this minion is fierce.
Each time the Free Peoples player assigns this minion a skirmish, they must add [2] or a threat.
Used to raiding in numbers, the Southron warriors were increasingly vicious in groups.

[2] Desert Brigand [Raider]
Minion • Man
Southron. Hunter 2.
At the start of each skirmish involving this minion, you may exert him to discard a possession borne by a character he is skirmishing.
"‘We have not seen Men like these before....'"

[5]Desert Lancers [Raider] (reprint)
Minion • Man
Strength: 11
Vitality: 3
Southron. To play, spot a [Raider] Man.
Regroup: Exert Desert Lancers twice to take control of a site.
"‘Always more people coming to Mordor. One day all the peoples will be inside.'"

[3] Desert Legionnaire [Raider]
Minion • Man
Strength: 7
Southron.
While you can spot a [Sauron] minion, this minion is twilight cost -1.
While you can spot another [Raider] hunter, this minion gains hunter 2.
While you can spot another [Raider] minion with ambush, this minion gains ambush [2].
"‘More Men going to Mordor. Dark faces.'"

[3] Desert Marauder [Raider]
Minion • Man
Southron. Hunter 1.
This minion is strength +1 for each possession borne by each character in his skirmish.
"He could hear plainly the ringing grate of steel on steel, the clang of sword on iron cap, the dull beat of blade on shield; men were yelling and screaming...."

[2] Desert Raider [Raider]
Minion • Man
Strength: 6
Southron. Hunter 2.
While at a battleground site, this minion is fierce.
Each time the Free Peoples player assigns this minion to a fierce skirmish, you may add [2] or a threat.
The warriors of the far east were ferocious in battle.

[3] Desert Wanderer [Raider]
Minion • Man
Strength: 8
Southron. Ambush [1].
This minion gains hunter 1 for each possession borne by a character in his skirmish.
"‘And some have red paint on their cheeks, and red cloaks....'"

[4] Southron Adherant [Raider]
Minion • Man
Strength: 10
Southron. To play, spot a [Raider] minion.
This minion is strength +1 for each [Sauron] card you can spot.
"Presently the voices began to recede again, and then they slowly faded away. Far off a horn blew on the ramparts of the Morannon."

[5] Southron Hussars [Raider]
Minion • Man
Southron. Archer.
When you play this minion, you may remove a threat to play a [Raider] mount from your draw deck; the twilight cost of that mount is -2.
"‘Swertings we call 'em in our tales; and they ride on oliphaunts, 'tis said, when they fight.'"

[5] Southron Proselyte [Raider]
Minion • Man
Strength: 12
Southron. To play, spot a [Raider] card.
This minion's twilight cost is -1 for each [Sauron] card you can spot.
"‘These cursed Southrons come now marching up the ancient roads to swell the hosts of the Dark Tower. Yea, up the very roads that craft of Gondor made.'"

[7]Southron Regiment [Raider]
Minion • Man
Strength: 13
Southron. Ambush [2]. Hunter 1.
Each time Southron Regiment wins a skirmish involving a Ring-bound companion, you may add a threat.
While you can spot 2 threats, each [Raider] Man gains ambush [1].
While you can spot 4 threats, each [Raider] Man is an archer.
"‘Not nice; very cruel wicked men they look.'"

[6]Sunland Legion [Raider]
Minion • Man
While you can spot another Southron, the site number of each [Sauron] Orc is -2.
While you can spot another [Raider] hunter, each [Sauron] Orc gains hunter 1.
While you can spot another [Raider] minion with ambush, each [Sauron] minion gains ambush [1].
"‘Sméagol thinks they have come out of the South beyond the Great River's end....They have passed on to the Black Gate....'"

[4]Voice of the Desert, Warriors of Far Harad [Raider]
Minion • Man
Southron. To play, spot a Southron.
While the fellowship is in region 1, each Southron gains ambush [1].
While the fellowship is in region 2, each Southron is an archer.
While the fellowship is in region 3, each Southron gains hunter 1.
"A new fear was upon them. They heard singing and hoarse shouting."

[9]Mûmak of Harad, Beast of Vast Bulk [Raider]
Minion • Mûmak
Strength: 15
Vitality: 4
Ambush [1]. Enduring. Fierce.
To play, spot a Southron or Mûmak.
Mûmak of Harad may not bear possessions.
At the end of each skirmish involving Mûmak of Harad, the losing character's owner must assign 2 wounds to their characters.
"On he came...his great legs like trees, enormous sail-like ears spread out, long snout upraised like a huge serpent about to strike, his small red eyes raging."

[3]Oliphaunt of Far Harad [Raider]
Possession • Mount
Strength +3
Vitality +1
Bearer must be a Southron.
Bearer is fierce.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, you make exert bearer to add a threat.
Each time a companion or ally is killed during a skirmish involving bearer, you may exert bearer to take control of a site.
"‘An Oliphaunt it was!'"

[3] Oliphaunt of War [Raider]
Possession • Mount
Strength +3
Bearer must be a Southron. Bearer is fierce.
If bearer is unwounded, bearer is an archer.
"‘They put houses and towers on the oliphauntses backs and all, and the oliphaunts throw rocks and trees at one another.'"

[1] Red-Tipped Spear [Raider]
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
When you play this possession, you may spot X threats and remove [X] to make bearer strength +X (limit +3) until the regroup phase.
"‘...and their flags are red, and the tips of their spears....'"

[2] Haradrim Bow [Raider]
Possession • Ranged Weapon
Bearer is an archer and gains hunter 1.
Archery: If bearer is mounted or you can spot 3 threats, discard this possession to make the minion archery total +2.
Unlike weapons of many western cultures, the bows made in the desert land of Harad were usually constructed of bone, horn, and metal rather than wood.

[1] Southron Shield [Raider]
Possession • Shield
Bearer must be a [Raider] Man.
The fellowship archery total is -1.
Skirmish: Remove a threat and discard this possession to discard a possession borne by a character skirmishing bearer. If that character does not bear a possession, exert him or her instead.
"‘...and they have round shields, yellow and black with big spikes.'"

[2]Cruel Wicked Men [Raider]
Condition • Support Area
Each time a Southron wins a fierce skirmish, you may exert that Southron to make him immediately participate in an additional assignment and skirmish phase; the Free Peoples player may assign that minion only to Ring-bound companions. The Free Peoples player may add 2 threats to prevent this.
Each time the fellowship moves, remove a threat or discard this condition.
"Hard fighting and long labour they had still...."

[3] Flight Was Impossible [Raider]
Event • Archery
Toil 1.
Spot a [Raider] archer and remove X threats to make the minion archery total +X (limit +3).
"The voices and the clink of weapons and harness were very close...."

(0) Dark Faces [Raider]
Event • Shadow
Choose one: play a [Raider] minion at twilight cost -X, where X is the number of [Sauron] minions you can spot; or play a [Sauron] minion at twilight cost -X, where X is the number of [Raider] minions you can spot.
"‘Wicked men. Servants of Sauron. They are called to Mordor.'"

[1] Servants of the Dark Tower [Raider]
Event • Regroup
Exert a [Raider] minion and a [Sauron] minion to take control of a site or discard a condition.
"...other evil eyes were abroad: Sauron had many servants."

[1] Singing and Hoarse Shouting [Raider]
Event • Maneuver
Spot a Southron to add a threat (or add 3 threats if you control a site).
"At first it seemed a long way off, but it drew nearer: it was coming towards them."

[6] Sense of Duty [Raider]
Event • Assignment
Toil 2.
Remove 3 threats to assign a [Raider] minion to a companion. The Free Peoples player may discard a companion (except the Ring-bearer) to prevent this.
"‘War will make corpses of us all.'"

[1] Ringing Grate [Raider]
Event • Skirmish
Make a [Raider] Man strength +2. If that Man wins this skirmish, you may add [1] for each possession you can spot (limit [4]).
"‘It sounds like a hundred blacksmiths all smithying together.'"

[2] They Are Fierce [Raider]
Event • Archery
Discard your Southron with ambush [X] to make the minion archery total +X (limit +3).
"We have not seen men like these before, no, Sméagol has not."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:21:54 PM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

September 23, 2008, 04:50:00 PM
Reply #1

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
Re: The Way Into Mordor - Raiders (9/23: Getting Reacquainted)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
all look coolio...proceed at will.
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

September 23, 2008, 04:52:12 PM
Reply #2

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »
Minion • Man
Southron. Hunter 1.
Each time the Free Peoples player assigns this minion a skirmish, they must add [2] or a threat.
Used to raiding in numbers, the Southron warriors were increasingly vicious in groups.
I like him. But see my later point.

Minion • Man
Southron. Hunter 2.
At the start of each skirmish involving this minion, you may exert him to discard a possession borne by a character he is skirmishing.
Again, fair enough except that he should only have hunter 1.

Minion • Man
"‘Always more people coming to Mordor. One day all the peoples will be inside.'"
OMG that's a terrible card! Why would you reprint him? :o Make a new version!

Minion • Man
Southron.
While you can spot another [Raider] or [Sauron] hunter, this minion gains hunter 2.
While you can spot another [Raider] minion with ambush, this minion gains ambush [2].
This card is not groggable. I would put the third line first, then take out [Sauron] hunter from the options - it's unclear to have one line work for either [Sauron] or [Raider] and another for only [Raider].

Minion • Man
Southron. Hunter 1.
This minion is strength +1 for each possession borne by each character in his skirmish.
"He could hear plainly the ringing grate of steel on steel, the clang of sword on iron cap, the dull beat of blade on shield; men were yelling and screaming...."
I wouldn't use him. If I'm playing a Southron deck, I don't want strength, that's completely irrelevant to me. I want only 1 thing: twilight in the pool for Whirling Strike/Red Wrath. If this card wounded people bearing possessions, then I would use it.

Minion • Man
Southron. Hunter 2.
Each time the Free Peoples player assigns this minion to a fierce skirmish, you may add [2] or a threat.
This one is too dissimilar from the Desert Bandit - someone reading these cards for the first time might assume they had the same ability. I would rather this were a [3] cost minion in a vertical cycle with the Bandit. I would perhaps also have a [4] cost guy in the cycle as well.

Minion • Man
Southron. Ambush [1].
This minion gains hunter 1 for each possession borne by a character in his skirmish.

Minion • Man
"Presently the voices began to recede again, and then they slowly faded away. Far off a horn blew on the ramparts of the Morannon."
See my point on the Marauder.

Minion • Man
Southron. Archer.
When you play this minion, you may remove a threat to play a [Raider] mount from your draw deck; the twilight cost of that mount is -1.
"‘Swertings we call 'em in our tales; and they ride on oliphaunts, 'tis said, when they fight.'"
I would make it -2.

[4] Southron Proselyte [Raider]
Minion • Man
"‘These cursed Southrons come now marching up the ancient roads to swell the hosts of the Dark Tower. Yea, up the very roads that craft of Gondor made.'"
He's good. I would rather he was [5] with vitality 3.

Minion • Man
Each time Southron Regiment wins a skirmish involving a Ring-bound companion, you may add a threat.
Seems reasonable.

Minion • Man
While you can spot another Southron, the site number of each [Sauron] Orc is -2.
While you can spot another [Raider] minion with ambush, each [Sauron] minion gains ambush [1].
"‘Sméagol thinks they have come out of the South beyond the Great River's end....They have passed on to the Black Gate....'"
Perhaps you could make a new way of referring to people with ambush, like "ambusher".

Minion • Man
While the fellowship is in region 1, each Southron gains hunter 1.
While the fellowship is in region 3, each Southron is fierce.
Too similar to the original, I think. I would prefer drastically different abilities in region 2 or 3 (where's ambush, for example?).

[1](0)Mûmak of Harad, Beast of Vast Bulk [Raider]
Minion • Mûmak
Vitality: 5
At the end of each skirmish involving Mûmak of Harad, the losing character's owner must assign 2 wounds to their characters.
"On he came...his great legs like trees, enormous sail-like ears spread out, long snout upraised like a huge serpent about to strike, his small red eyes raging."
You could make a keyword like "creature" which prevented a thing bearing possessions. I also think that it should only have 4 vitality - however big he is, he's no Sauron or Balrog.

Possession • Mount
Strength +3
Vitality +1
Bearer is fierce.
Each time a companion or ally is killed during a skirmish involving bearer, you may exert bearer to take control of a site.
"‘An Oliphaunt it was!'"
Seems fine. I hate site control and unless you bring in some drastic support, Southron site control remains one of the worst developed strategies in the game.

Possession • Mount
Strength +3
"‘They put houses and towers on the oliphauntses backs and all, and the oliphaunts throw rocks and trees at one another.'"
Seems good. Perhaps could be [2].

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
When you play this possession, you may spot X threats and remove [X] to make bearer strength +X (limit +3) until the regroup phase.
I think a simpler ability would be "remove X threats to..." which I would suggest instead. Having said that, I still don't think that strength is at all relevant to a Southron strategy.

Archery: If bearer is mounted or you can spot 3 threats, discard this possession to make the minion archery total +2.
Unlike weapons of many western cultures, the bows made in the desert land of Harad were usually constructed of bone, horn, and metal rather than wood.
'Tis good.

Possession • Shield
Skirmish: Remove a threat and discard this possession to discard a possession borne by a character skirmishing bearer. If that character does not bear a possession, exert him or her instead.
Also alright. Probably should cost (0).

Condition • Support Area
Each time a Southron wins a fierce skirmish, you may exert that Southron to make him immediately participate in an additional assignment and skirmish phase; the Free Peoples player may assign that minion only to Ring-bound companions. The Free Peoples player may add 2 threats to prevent this.
I would rather this condition did not have a moving penalty and instead discarded in order to provide the additional phase.

[3]Flight Was Impossible [Raider]
Condition • Support Area
Toil 1.
At the start of each archery phase, you may spot a [Raider] archer and remove X threats to make the minion archery total +X (limit +3).
Fine, but this looks like a very good text for an archery event, which I would prefer.

(0) Dark Faces [Raider]
Event • Shadow
Choose one: play a [Raider] minion at twilight cost -X, where X is the number of [Sauron] minions you can spot; or play a [Sauron] minion at twilight cost -X, where X is the number of [Raider] minions you can spot.
Good stuff.

Event • Regroup
Exert a [Raider] minion and a [Sauron] minion to take control of a site or discard a condition.
It's alright. I might make it (0).

Event • Maneuver
"At first it seemed a long way off, but it drew nearer: it was coming towards them."
Fair enough.

[5] Sense of Duty [Raider]
Event • Assignment
Toil 1.
Remove 3 threats to assign a [Raider] minion to a companion. The Free Peoples player may discard a companion (except the Ring-bearer) to prevent this.
Toil 2 does not seem over the top. Maybe even 3.

Event • Skirmish
Make a [Raider] Man strength +2. If that Man wins this skirmish, you may add [1] for each possession you can spot (limit [4]).
Good stuff - I would make the event cost [2] with no limit.

Event • Archery
Discard your Southron with ambush [X] to make the minion archery total +X (limit +3).
Fair enough. Could probably cost [1].

Thranduil

September 24, 2008, 05:15:50 AM
Reply #3

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 05:15:50 AM »
Holy crud, thats a lot. Thran is insane to review all them! What happened to berating El for posting 7 DC's when you just reviewed 20 or 30?

Ok so have i reviewed these before Dain or would you like me to spend a few hours doing it?  ;D
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

September 24, 2008, 06:44:53 AM
Reply #4

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 06:44:53 AM »
Quote from: lem0nhead
Holy crud, thats a lot. Thran is insane to review all them! What happened to berating El for posting 7 DC's when you just reviewed 20 or 30?

Yes...Thran is insane. I wasn't expecting anyone to review them all! :P (:gp: to him for doing so, though. :up:) Just meant for folks to breeze through and catch up before I move on.

Ok so have i reviewed these before Dain or would you like me to spend a few hours doing it?  ;D

Heheh...not at all necessary. If you see any you think DO need comments, though, then feel free to pick them out specifically. I'll hold off on new updates until tomorrow to give you (and others) a little more time to do just that.

Gonna go make some tweaks based on Thran's reviews first....
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

September 24, 2008, 07:30:37 AM
Reply #5

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 07:30:37 AM »

Yes...Thran is insane. I wasn't expecting anyone to review them all! :P
Yeah well, I looked through them and realised I had something to say on basically all of them, so I kept going... :uh-huh:

Thranduil

September 24, 2008, 01:33:40 PM
Reply #6

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 01:33:40 PM »
A long long LONG time ago, way back in Octber of last year, I began working on the [Raider] culture over at CC for my middle set The Way Into Mordor. I kept bogging down and coming back, moving slowly through the culture in fits and spurts. But now, I resolve to do better. Or at least try really hard to do so. Maybe. :whistle:

I've really struggled with giving this culture an identity in this set, and at least part of that is because I haven't really used it much in real life. I know very little about it, and while I'm trying to take a crash course, it's been tough.

But I WILL try to get some regular posts going for this culture again, even if it's just once or twice a week, and make some steady progress. I feel like I can't really move on to other cultures like [Dunland], [Gollum], [Elven], and others until I finish [Raider] and another long-neglected culture (also begun in 2007): the [Isengard] culture.

So, let's get back up to speed with all the cards I had posted at CC and see if that can light a fire under my butt to get moving with these guys again. :up:

Feel free to review (or re-review) any of these you think need additional touching up, but these have all already been subject to reviewers' scrutiny, so it's not strictly necessary to review any of them...especially since there are so many! Any comments you want to toss in (or suggestions for other cards) ARE greatly appreciated, though. ;)

Minion • Man
Southron. Hunter 1.

I'd change "Each time the Free Peoples player assigns this minion a skirmish, they must add [2] or a threat." to,
Each time the Free Peoples player assigns this minion a skirmish, they must add [1].

Minion • Man
Southron. Hunter 2.

Make him cost [3], drop Hunter or get rid of his text.

Minion • Man

Seriously, thats a really bad card. I have no idea why anyone would want to reprint him.

Minion • Man
Southron.
While you can spot another [Raider] or [Sauron] hunter, this minion gains hunter 2.

Ok, I guess.

Minion • Man
Southron. Hunter 1.

Not bad, but I'd prefer: "Skirmish: This minion is strength +1 for each possession he bears."

Minion • Man
Southron. Hunter 2.

He's too much like Desert Bandit.

Minion • Man
Southron. Ambush [1].

Definitely should cost [4].

Minion • Man

In a rainbow deck that is insane. I could easily see a whole deck built off this guy and a bunch of cheap [Sauron] conditions. Maybe make it:
[5] Southron Adherant [Raider]
Minion • Man
This minion is strength +1 for each [Sauron] card you can spot (limit +4).

Minion • Man
Southron. Archer.
When you play this minion, you may remove a threat to play a [Raider] mount from your draw deck; the twilight cost of that mount is -1.

I like this one.  :up:

[4] Southron Proselyte [Raider]
Minion • Man

Another insane rainbow card. Him and Southron Adherhant are crazy. Might I suggest:
[6] Southron Proselyte [Raider]
Minion • Man
This minion's twilight cost is -1 for each [Sauron] card you can spot (limit -4).

Minion • Man

Each Raider man is an Archer?! I'd make it:
Minion • Man
While you can spot 4 threats, this minion is an archer.

Minion • Man

I really don't like this kind of card. Instead of keying off abilities this kind of minion is more like a Santa Claus who hands out
mechanics left and right. Heck, you should have called it menace64

Minion • Man
While the fellowship is in region 1, each Southron gains hunter 1.
While the fellowship is in region 3, each Southron is fierce.

Next time you remake the card you should remake it completely. Thats like something Decipher would do, making a card an then remaking it
slightly different.

[1](0)Mûmak of Harad, Beast of Vast Bulk [Raider]
Minion • Mûmak
Vitality: 5

"Mûmak of Harad may not bear possessions." Lol, if the Mumak could bear a Mumak... thats really funny  <:) Awesome card though.

Possession • Mount
Strength +3
Vitality +1
Bearer is fierce.
"‘An Oliphaunt it was!'"

Sweet card.

Possession • Mount
Strength +3

I don't quite get the second part, after all you can't be wounded before the Archery phase.  :-k

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2

Nice. Well-balanced ability.

You really like cards with at least three abilities don't you? I'd get rid of the second ability.

Possession • Shield

Ok, but I'd make it [2].

Condition • Support Area

Nice card.

[3]Flight Was Impossible [Raider]
Condition • Support Area
Toil 1.
At the start of each archery phase, you may spot a [Raider] archer and remove X threats to make the minion archery total +X (limit +3).

I'd make it an event.

(0) Dark Faces [Raider]
Event • Shadow

Nice rainbow idea.

Event • Regroup

I'd make it: "Exhaust a [Raider] minion and a [Sauron] minion to take control of a site or discard a condition.

Event • Maneuver

Maybe [2]?

[5] Sense of Duty [Raider]
Event • Assignment
Toil 1.

Awesome!

Event • Skirmish

Another nice one.

Event • Archery

Man, that is seriously underpriced. Make it [4] Toil 2.

I like them Dain, just don't give them too many abilities, and keep making them!  =P~
(PS;  :gp: for the hard work)  ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 01:35:22 PM by Gate Troll »

October 02, 2008, 09:36:54 AM
Reply #7

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Okay, going to take some baby steps to slowly slide back into this culture...and DCing in general.

Two rather small minions today, but judge them by their size, you should not. ;) These guys are designed to really make site control (something Big D barely scratched the surface of with [Raider] minions, but that I want to make a bigger part of their overall strategy) much more viable and powerful a tactic for Southrons, and they form a nice little cycle to boot. Enjoy!

[4] Sunland Spy [Raider]
Minion • Man
Southron. Ambush [1]. Hunter 1.
When you play this minion, you may spot another Southron to add a threat for each site you control.
"‘Tis said that there were dealings of old between Gondor and the kingdoms of the Harad in the Far South; though there was never friendship.'"

(0) Southron Swarmer [Raider]
Minion • Man
Vitality: 1
Southron. Ambush [1].
To play, spot a [Raider] card and remove a threat (or spot 2 sites you control).
"‘Great strength of them was reported to us some days ago, marching north.'"
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:09:24 AM by DáinIronfoot »
Best regards,
Dáin

October 02, 2008, 09:43:02 AM
Reply #8

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
[4] Sunland Spy [Raider]
Minion • Man
When you play this minion, you may spot another Southron to add a threat for each site you control.
"‘Tis said that there were dealings of old between Gondor and the kingdoms of the Harad in the Far South; though there was never friendship.'"

Very nice.

Minion • Man
Southron. Ambush [1].
To play, spot a [Raider] card and remove a threat (or spot 2 sites you control).

Neat. I'd be for reducing his vitality to 1, but that's probably not necessary.

By the way, I'd love to see some card that utilizes that ambush to take control of sites. Perhaps some high-costing skirmish event? That'd be a nasty surprise for the Freeps.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

October 02, 2008, 09:44:21 AM
Reply #9

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
Quote from: Elf_Lvr
By the way, I'd love to see some card that utilizes that ambush to take control of sites. Perhaps some high-costing skirmish event? That'd be a nasty surprise for the Freeps.

Ooooo...I like that idea. :twisted: I'll see what I can cook up, probably for tomorrow. Thanks for the thought! :gp:
Best regards,
Dáin

October 02, 2008, 11:06:36 AM
Reply #10

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
I agree, cut the seconds vitality to 1
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

October 02, 2008, 12:44:20 PM
Reply #11

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
[4] Sunland Spy [Raider]
Minion • Man
Yeah, he's fine.

Minion • Man
Southron. Ambush [1].
Again fine.

But I don't think these cards in any way make Southron site control a viable strategy, just because it starts at such a disadvantage. EL is spot on; what the [Raider] culture needs is a skirmish event for [4] or [5] that says "Spot a [Raider] Man to take control of a site."

Thranduil

October 03, 2008, 02:12:13 AM
Reply #12

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit

[4] Sunland Spy [Raider]
Minion • Man

Wow thats a really easy way to add threats for a non unique or costly guy. Id be careful of him if its easy to take sites.

Minion • Man
Southron. Ambush [1].

Needs vitality 1 see uruk sieger guy.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

October 04, 2008, 01:42:21 PM
Reply #13

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Devil's advocate here, but just because White Hand Sieger has 1 vitality, doesn't mean that all 0-cost, "to play, spot yadda yadda yadda" minions must also have 1 vitality. Different cultures have different strengths, and it could be that a 2-vitality minion of this sort is appropriate in a specific culture.

That being said, 1 vitality is the way to go.  :lol:

October 05, 2008, 04:22:57 AM
Reply #14

Gate Troll

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
Okay, going to take some baby steps to slowly slide back into this culture...and DCing in general.

Two rather small minions today, but judge them by their size, you should not. ;) These guys are designed to really make site control (something Big D barely scratched the surface of with [Raider] minions, but that I want to make a bigger part of their overall strategy) much more viable and powerful a tactic for Southrons, and they form a nice little cycle to boot. Enjoy!

[4] Sunland Spy [Raider]
Minion • Man

Oooh, I like. Neat take on site control.

Minion • Man
Vitality: 1
Southron. Ambush [1].

Very cool.