LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Hobbit DCs  (Read 8770 times)

January 07, 2009, 05:27:28 AM
Read 8770 times

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
The Hobbit DCs
« on: January 07, 2009, 05:27:28 AM »
 [2] Gandalf's Staff [Gandalf]
Artifact • Staff
Strength +1. Vitality +1.  Resistance +1.
Muster.
Plays on Gandalf.

Each time you play a spell you may remove a burden or two threats or add a burden to wound a minion.

[2] Glamdring [Gandalf]
Artifact • Handweapon
Strength +2. Damage +1.
Plays on Gandalf.
Maneuver or Skirmish: exert Gandalf to make a minion strength - X until the regroup phase for each spell in your discard pile.

(0) Gandalf's Pipe [Gandalf]
Possession • Pipe
Resistance +1.
Plays on Gandalf.
Fellowship or regroup: discard a pipeweed card from play to remove [2] or heal Gandalf.
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

January 07, 2009, 08:16:37 AM
Reply #1

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
Re: The Hobbit DCs
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:16:37 AM »
Hi dude welcome to the world of DC-ing, excellent to see you here. I dont mean to offend you in anyway but im going to re write them in a formula everyone is more used to then review them. Hopefulyl you can pick up the format for your future DC's.

Artifact • Staff
Strength: +1.
Vitality: +1.
Resistance: +1.
Bearer must be Gandalf.
He gains muster.
Each time you play a spell you may remove a burden or two threats, or add a burden to wound a minion.

I like this card but it is very very powerful. You could play many spells and blitz your burdens or kill a load of minions off. Id cut the burden bit and change it to 1 threat and lose the resistance bonus.

[2] Glamdring [Gandalf]
Artifact • Hand Weapon
Strength: +2
Damage: +1
Bearer must be Gandalf.
Maneuver or Skirmish: Exert Gandalf to make a minion strength - X until the regroup phase, where X is the number of [Gandalf] spells in your discard pile.

Again this is very very powerful, as potentially you could make 3 or 4 minions minus a LOT of strength. Maybe limit it to the start of the maneuver phase or limit the strength loss.

Possession • Pipe
Resistance +1.
Bearer must be Gandalf.
Fellowship or Regroup: Discard a pipeweed card from play to remove [2] or heal Gandalf.

This card is fine, though removing 2 in the fellowship is very useful.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

January 07, 2009, 08:56:06 AM
Reply #2

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:56:06 AM »
Artifact • Staff
Strength +1. Vitality +1.  Resistance +1.
Muster.
Plays on Gandalf.
Each time you play a spell you may remove a burden or two threats or add a burden to wound a minion.
These cards need subtitles, like Gandalf's Staff, Ash-Staff. There is already a card called "Gandalf's Staff". I would second lem0n on reducing the power level of this card, especially when combined with Gandalf, Powerful Guide. This means you can either use Powerful Guide's ability twice with each spell you play, which is awesome, or wound a minion for free by adding then removing a burden, which is really too good, I think. I think you've got the flavour of Gandalf's Staff down exactly but this card needs to be less powerful and to take into account other combos (also, Shadowfax, Greatest of the Mearas with this staff gives Gandalf +2 to each attribute which is pretty darn good).

[2] Glamdring [Gandalf]
Artifact • Handweapon
Strength +2. Damage +1.
Plays on Gandalf.
Maneuver or Skirmish: exert Gandalf to make a minion strength - X until the regroup phase for each spell in your discard pile.
Slightly the wrong wording - one of these two options would work, and it doesn't matter which you use: "Make a minion strength -1 until the regroup phase for each spell in your discard pile" or "Make a minion strength -X until the regroup phase, where X is the number of spells in your discard pile". Again perfect flavour, but the card is too powerful mainly because it lasts until the regroup phase and can therefore affect minions skirmishing the Ring-bearer. I would stick to: "Skirmish: Exert Gandalf to make a minion skirmishing an unbound companion strength -1 for each spell in your discard pile." This excludes the Ring-bearer, keeps the flavour but is still a great ability.

Possession • Pipe
Resistance +1.
Plays on Gandalf.
Fellowship or regroup: discard a pipeweed card from play to remove [2] or heal Gandalf.
Removing [2] in the fellowship phase is very powerful and normally costs more. That said, I'm not sure that's a huge problem with this card because it only fits into a pipeweed strategy. I like this card.

:gp: for some great DCs and a fantastic eye for flavour! =D>

Thranduil

January 08, 2009, 12:00:40 AM
Reply #3

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:00:40 AM »
[4] • Gandalf, Friend to Bilbo [Gandalf]
Companion • Wizard
Strength: 8
Vitality: 4
Resistance: 7

Each companion is resistance +1.
Fellowship or regroup: discard a [Gandalf] card from hand to discard a companion (except the ringbearer) from play and play a companion from your draw deck or discard pile (limit once per region).

[2] • Gandalf's Kart, a mean of transportation [Gandalf]
Possession • support area

Maneuver: exert a wizard to play a possession or artifact from your draw deck or discard pile on your companion (limit once per site).
Mithrandir I am known to the Elves, Tharkun to the dwarves; Olorin was the name in my youth in the West which is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; into the East I will not go."

January 08, 2009, 12:57:52 AM
Reply #4

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:57:52 AM »
Youve fixed some of the formatting issues but bold phases and try to use capitals in the right places, were a picky bunch!

Companion • Wizard
Fellowship or regroup: Discard a [Gandalf] card from hand to discard a companion (except the ringbearer) from play and play a companion from your draw deck or discard pile (limit once per region).

Strange strange tactic, but i think its very cool, it could simply be a way to heal companions with other copies of them. I think its one of the coolest gandalfs ive ever seen for potential gameplay.

[2]Gandalf's Cart, A Means of Transportation [Gandalf]
Possession • Support area
Maneuver: Exert a wizard to play a possession or artifact from your draw deck or discard pile on your companion (limit once per site).

Instead of limiting it to once per site just say "at the start of the maneuver". It could cost 1 and i like it.

Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

January 08, 2009, 02:04:33 AM
Reply #5

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 02:04:33 AM »
Companion • Wizard
Fellowship or regroup: discard a [Gandalf] card from hand to discard a companion (except the ringbearer) from play and play a companion from your draw deck or discard pile (limit once per region).
I'm not sure it needs such a steep limit, nor the resistance bonus. The second ability is very limited but has a lot of combo potential and so I think I would take out the resistance bonus and remove all limits on the ability thereby allowing you to abuse the fun to the fullest! :hey: Also I'd suggest a slight rephrasing: "Fellowship or Regroup: Discard a [Gandalf] card from hand and discard a companion (except the Ring-bearer) from play to play a companion from your draw deck or discard pile." just so that discarding a companion is part of the cost and playing the companion is part of the effect.

Maneuver: exert a wizard to play a possession or artifact from your draw deck or discard pile on your companion (limit once per site).
I agree with lem0n, except that you ought to specify "Exert your Wizard" or you could exert Saruman or the Wizards Deceived to get the effect.

Thranduil

January 08, 2009, 05:18:50 AM
Reply #6

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 05:18:50 AM »
Companion • Wizard
I'm not sure it needs such a steep limit, nor the resistance bonus. The second ability is very limited but has a lot of combo potential and so I think I would take out the resistance bonus and remove all limits on the ability thereby allowing you to abuse the fun to the fullest! :hey: Also I'd suggest a slight rephrasing: "Fellowship or Regroup: Discard a [Gandalf] card from hand and discard a companion (except the Ring-bearer) from play to play a companion from your draw deck or discard pile." just so that discarding a companion is part of the cost and playing the companion is part of the effect.

I agree with lem0n, except that you ought to specify "Exert your Wizard" or you could exert Saruman or the Wizards Deceived to get the effect.

Thranduil

I know that "exert a wizard" is not really specified... and I like it... compare it to the wizards deceived or •Staff of Saruman, Fallen Istar's Stave ;-) you may play this staff also on Gandalf or Radagast to prevent them using another staff... or just exhaust them and then put the staff away --> kill
I prefer cards with can be used in more different ways... which are not always to see....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 05:23:27 AM by Olorin »

January 08, 2009, 05:36:22 AM
Reply #7

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:36:22 AM »
I wish this version of Gandalf "Gandalf, Friend to Bilbo" would exist... wow...

[2] Bilbo, the Adventurer [Shire]
Companion • Hobbit
Strength: 4
Resistance: 8

While you can spot Gandalf, Bilbo is resistance +2 and cannot take wounds.
While you can spot a dwarf, Bilbo is strength +1 and cannot be overwhelmed unless his strength is trippeled.

(0) Bilbo's Pipe, an adventurer's enjoyment [Shire]
Possession •  Pipe
Bearer must be a Hobbit.
If bearer is Bilbo, he gains muster.
Fellowship or regroup: discard a pipeweed card from play to heal X Companions where X is the vitality of the bearer.

January 08, 2009, 05:41:21 AM
Reply #8

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:41:21 AM »
[1] Bow from the Shire [Shire]
Possesion •  ranged weapon

Bearer must be a Hobbit.
Bearer gains archer.

Archery: exert bearer to wound an unwounded minion.

January 08, 2009, 05:59:17 AM
Reply #9

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 05:59:17 AM »
[14] • Smaug [Moria]
Minion •  Dragon
Strength: 17
Vitality: 5
Site: 4
Damage +1. Fierce.
Smaug's twilight cost is -1 for each companion over 4.
Skip the archery phase.
At the start of the maneuver phase you may exert a companion. This companion loses all key words and his game text does not apply until the regroup phase.

*** this does not belong to the Hobbit, I guess??? ***

[3] Sauron's blade tip [Sauron]
Artifact • support area

Each time a minion is played add a token here.
Skirmish: remove 3 tokens from here and remove [2] or discard this artifact to make a minion Strength +3. Then you may spot a companion with resistance 3 or less to make it damage +1.

*** ?????????????????????????????????????????? ***
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:08:19 AM by Olorin »

January 08, 2009, 01:56:16 PM
Reply #10

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »
first bow from the shire is way to good.
cut the give em archer clause and its good.
I'd make it resistance plus 1 and strength + 1 perhaps if you can spot gandalf on the bilbo, and than + 2 if you can spot a dwarf.  Fine on the pipe

with smaug the manuever thing should be first IMSO.

Sauron's blade tip I'd just have remove 3 tokens to make strength +2. and chance the title
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

January 09, 2009, 05:40:10 AM
Reply #11

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 05:40:10 AM »
[2] Bilbo, the Adventurer [Shire]
Companion • Hobbit
Strength: 4
Resistance: 8
While you can spot Gandalf, Bilbo is resistance +2 and cannot take wounds.
While you can spot a dwarf, Bilbo is strength +1 and cannot be overwhelmed unless his strength is trippeled.
I like this guy, he's cool. I would however suggest that his strength should be his usual 3 and that his second line required spotting at least 2 Dwarves - after all, there were 13 in his adventures! ;)

(0) Bilbo's Pipe, an adventurer's enjoyment [Shire]
Possession •  Pipe
Bearer must be a Hobbit.
If bearer is Bilbo, he gains muster.
Fellowship or regroup: discard a pipeweed card from play to heal X Companions where X is the vitality of the bearer.
I think this only needs to be a fellowship ability, but it's cool.

[1] Bow from the Shire [Shire]
Possesion •  ranged weapon
Bearer must be a Hobbit.
Bearer gains archer.
Archery: exert bearer to wound an unwounded minion.
Now this is far too powerful - Elven Bow is powerful as it is; no possession should do what Elven Bow does and more for the same cost. I would just leave the archery special ability and take out the gaining archer.

[14] • Smaug [Moria]
Minion •  Dragon
Strength: 17
Vitality: 5
Site: 4
Damage +1. Fierce.
Smaug's twilight cost is -1 for each companion over 4.
Skip the archery phase.
At the start of the maneuver phase you may exert a companion. This companion loses all key words and his game text does not apply until the regroup phase.
Nice; a good representation of Smaug. I reckon his site number should be 6 at least, though.

[3] Sauron's blade tip [Sauron]
Artifact • support area
Each time a minion is played add a token here.
Skirmish: remove 3 tokens from here and remove [2] or discard this artifact to make a minion Strength +3. Then you may spot a companion with resistance 3 or less to make it damage +1.
You need to give your tokens a culture, ie. "Each time a minion is played, add a [Sauron] token here." This is an interesting card. I think I would lower the strength bonus to +2 and then drop the cost to [2].

Also a word of advice: posting too many cards in too short a space of time tends to put off people from reviewing your cards. ;)

Thranduil

January 16, 2009, 09:55:20 AM
Reply #12

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 09:55:20 AM »
[2] Gollum, speaker of riddles [gollum]
Minion
Strength: 5
Site: 3

Each time a companion exerts, discard the top card of you opponent's deck.
Skirmish: exert gollum twice to exert a character and add [1]. Discard Gollum.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:57:25 AM by Olorin »

January 16, 2009, 10:03:19 AM
Reply #13

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:03:19 AM »
[2] Sting, weapon to protect [Shire]
Possession ° Hand weapon
Strength +2.
Resistance +1.
Bearer must be Bilbo.

Each time bearer wins a skirmish you may exert him and add [1] to remove up to two threats or exert up to two minions (or a minion twice).

January 16, 2009, 10:15:35 AM
Reply #14

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 10:15:35 AM »
Quote from: Olorin
[2] Gollum, speaker of riddles [gollum]
Minion
Strength: 5
Site: 3
Each time a companion exerts, discard the top card of you opponent's deck.
Skirmish: exert gollum twice to exert a character and add [1]. Discard Gollum.

I think it should be "...of the Free Peoples player's draw deck." Other than that and some capitalization issues ("Speaker", "Riddles", and "Exert"), this seems fine. I don't see any reason for the skirmish ability to discard Gollum, unless you have some benefit in mind for having him in the discard pile.

Quote from: Olorin
[2] Sting, weapon to protect [Shire]
Possession ° Hand weapon
Strength +2.
Resistance +1.
Bearer must be Bilbo.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish you may exert him and add [1] to remove up to two threats or exert up to two minions (or a minion twice).

"Each time Bilbo wins a skirmish...", since only he can bear it. I think it's a bit too powerful. If it removed a single threat or exerted a single minion, then I think it would be okay. You could probably drop the adding of [1] then, too. :up:
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

January 17, 2009, 09:52:59 AM
Reply #15

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
I find myself agreeing entirely with DI. Some interesting ideas here.

Thranduil

January 26, 2009, 11:15:35 PM
Reply #16

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 11:15:35 PM »
Bilbo Baggins' House
Site • Shadow number  (0)
Dwelling. At the start of the fellowship phase you may exert Bilbo to play Gandalf from your draw deck or discard pile.

Rhosgobel
Site • Shadow number [1]
Dwelling. Forest. At the start of the fellowship phase you may add a burden to play a wizard from your draw deck or discard pile.

[1] A wizard's voice [Gandalf]
Event • Fellowship or regroup
To play spot a wizard.

Play up to two [Gandalf] artifacts, [Gandalf] possessions or [Gandalf] conditions from your draw deck or discard pile.

;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:21:09 PM by Olorin »

January 27, 2009, 02:20:25 AM
Reply #17

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 02:20:25 AM »
Bilbo Baggins' House
Dwelling. At the start of the fellowship phase you may exert Bilbo to play Gandalf from your draw deck or discard pile.

Rhosgobel
Site • Shadow number [1]
Dwelling. Forest. At the start of the fellowship phase you may add a burden to play a wizard from your draw deck or discard pile.
These I think should both have a Shadow number of [3] like other sites so helpful to the Free Peoples player like The Prancing Pony. And I would also just go with Radagast on Rhosgobel; there's no record of Gandalf ever going there and I think it might be too powerful as is.

To play spot a wizard.
Play up to two [Gandalf] artifacts, [Gandalf] possessions or [Gandalf] conditions from your draw deck or discard pile.
This is very powerful. Most fetch comes with a high cost (like Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith and Saved from the Fire). I think it should exert a Wizard (or cost more) and play only 1 card.

Thranduil

January 27, 2009, 02:23:35 AM
Reply #18

Olorin

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • You shall not pass!
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 02:23:35 AM »
Bilbo Baggins' House

Rhosgobel
Site • Shadow number [1]
These I think should both have a Shadow number of [3] like other sites so helpful to the Free Peoples player like The Prancing Pony. And I would also just go with Radagast on Rhosgobel; there's no record of Gandalf ever going there and I think it might be too powerful as is.

To play spot a wizard.
This is very powerful. Most fetch comes with a high cost (like Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith and Saved from the Fire). I think it should exert a Wizard (or cost more) and play only 1 card.

Thranduil

yeah... but Denethor is at least a companion... this here is just an event... hm... but it is really very powerful... perhaps we should add to the costs: add two burdens.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:26:05 AM by Olorin »