LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Marketing Committee  (Read 4165 times)

November 14, 2009, 07:01:34 PM
Read 4165 times

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
Marketing Committee
« on: November 14, 2009, 07:01:34 PM »
Alright since we don't have separate forums, I'll just start this topic and we can continue discussions here. :)

While I was playing around in the database of cards I came across the following:

and

I really like these cards, not because they are playable, but rather because they grab your attention and then tell you where to go to get more information.

Can we do something like this?  Would people be interested in a PDF with say 9 different "promo" cards that they could print off in color and attach to a real card and leave it somewhere?  I know if I was to go through the halls of the university and see a LOTR card tucked into the corner of a bulletin board, I'd at least go over and look at it. I don't know our options yet about using the templates, but I imagine if we don't use exact pictures from the movie, OR, we use unedited images we might be ok.  Even if we just reprinted these old cards and used our new contact information that might work as well.

Anyone else got ideas? :)

November 14, 2009, 09:22:30 PM
Reply #1

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Marketing Committee
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:22:30 PM »
I expect most people would like to see new cards (although some have suggested otherwise). The issue with new cards is the legality of it.

However, flicking through the database, i noted that some cards have been altered with minor corrections. I guess there is a difference between minor corrections and changing a card so that it has little similarity to the original.

I am no expert, but I suspect at this stage it is beyond us unless we are willing to risk legal action.

One thought I had was to issue a PDF of all cards that have errata, or clarifications using the images on this site. Pretty easy to do. They would be low resolution, but from my experience I expect that they will print pretty well provided you use premium card, and high quality colour printing. Using premium card stops the need to paste to an older card, provided you play with coloured protector slips.

The PC does not need to endorse this method (to stop legal issues), but they could be considered legal for tournament use provided they are 'destroyed' after the tournament (short term copying may not breach copyright - but I am only speculating here).

November 14, 2009, 11:10:43 PM
Reply #2

Ranofer

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:10:43 PM »
Oh sorry... I wasn't real clear :P

I wasn't meaning cards to play with at all.  These would simply be cards that looked like real cards, but would have the website (done someday soon) maybe the forum, and the fact the PC is getting underway.  These would not be the V-cards we had talked about so far :)

November 15, 2009, 11:11:41 AM
Reply #3

Jerba

• Information Offline
  • Villager
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 11:11:41 AM »
I have that promo!

And I think we need a place to send new people to first. Would that be here?

November 15, 2009, 07:30:58 PM
Reply #4

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:30:58 PM »
I think the place to send new players is to this site - how they end up using it is up to them.

More people playing the game and using this site gives us all a better perspective of what the majority of player want in terms of a future for LOTR. At the moment, we are pretty divided on that.

November 16, 2009, 03:09:44 AM
Reply #5

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 03:09:44 AM »
Bit of support came our way on the Star Trek message boards.

http://www.trekcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=6248&p=63982#p63982

I particularly like the comment made by ikeya
"To get more momentum, I'd have whoever's in charge of that site talk to Charlie (MidnightLich). In the past he's been perceptive to LotR and has invited them to talk to him about how to continue a game well and provide insight and possibly even assistance.
I can't speak for Charlie or promise anything, but that'd be a good step... he's done wonders for STCCG! "

I don't know if Kralik is interested in anything like a PC, but maybe he is the right person to pursue a PC.

November 18, 2009, 01:10:44 PM
Reply #6

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 01:10:44 PM »
Hi guys - i don't know if it is related to the marketing campaign but member conut now is 431 - up 8 in a week
Yesterday the most on online record was broken - now 20 at once!

We need more support for the PC however - everyone welcome - new members, inexperienced players. doesn't matter. Tell us what you think!

November 18, 2009, 10:59:50 PM
Reply #7

Kenddrick

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 10:59:50 PM »
Anyone out there got a list of active LotR: TCG player groups? It would be helpful as I'm trying to contact them all. :)

November 19, 2009, 03:17:15 AM
Reply #8

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 03:17:15 AM »
Perhaps we can make another topic asking player groups to post their details. Location, number of players, and contact person would help. That way new players can also get find out if their is a player group in their area and can contact them.

I will do this later unless you get to it first Kenddrick.

Hey Ket - my point is that new members are joining, sure we have bots and neekerbeekers, but new members are coming - another has joined today (432). Lets make them welcome and hopefully they will stay, become involved and get playing LOTR!

November 19, 2009, 07:36:43 PM
Reply #9

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:36:43 PM »
Agreed - but every new member may become active members. All fourms will have inactive members - the goal is to make people feel welcome and want to participate on these boards.

November 19, 2009, 09:08:12 PM
Reply #10

Kenddrick

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »
Chompers, I tried to find a list of active LotR: TCG playergroups out there, and failed. :(