LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Dwarves Reloading the Machine Gun (FP)  (Read 12298 times)

November 13, 2009, 08:34:36 AM
Reply #15

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: Dwarves Reloading the Machine Gun (FP)
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 08:34:36 AM »
As for [Raider] archery, it is very rare-intensive. Mauddib85 runs a very nice build of the classic Desert Lord build. Here's an example, as I don't remember card-for-card.

Desert Lord x4
Mumak Chieftain x4
Elite Archer x2
Southron Veterans x2
Far Harad Mercenaries x2

Seasoned Leader x4
Bold Men and Grim x2

Mumak x4
Raider Halbred x4

Red Wrath x3

It's 31 cards. Obviously, the goal is to get Desert Lord out there with a Mumak and Seasoned Leader. That's a strength 20 minion who has dealt three exertions during archery phase. But the real trick is that you use Seasoned Leader to play Bold Men and Grim out of your discard pile, discarding an extra companion when you are about to get the kill!

Red Wrath and Raider Halbred are both obvious choices.
-wtk

November 13, 2009, 09:18:12 AM
Reply #16

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 09:18:12 AM »
Wounded can only be played on man.

November 13, 2009, 09:51:47 AM
Reply #17

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 09:51:47 AM »
Haha...good call on Wounded then.
-wtk

November 17, 2009, 09:42:31 AM
Reply #18

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 09:42:31 AM »
I think if you want some extra healing without using up a ton of card slots (i.e., multiples of Elrond, Lord of Rivendell and a handful of Dwarf allies), you can go with Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad.  In the maneuver phase, Gimli heals Lego twice, Elrond heals Gimli twice, and at the start of the next turn Elrond heals himself twice.  Basically, Shoulder to Shoulder allows you to get double the healing you'd normally get from Elrond, HtGG.

On that note, I'd consider another 1-2 Shoulder to Shoulder.  It seems like a pretty important part of your deck, so you need to 1) ensure you get it, and 2) be able to replace it if it gets discarded.

The Slaked Thirsts ideas that have been suggested are definitely the way to go, too.  One Slaked Thirsts + one Greenleaf exertion = dead minion.

Ket is right, in that Feared Axeman would be good for the Slaked Thirsts route, but if you don't go with Slaked Thirsts, then there's not really anything wrong with Counter of Foes.  Yeah, some people say that being exhausted is just asking to get hit with Hate/Whirling Strike/whatever, but... uh... who says you HAVE to exhaust him?  If you're going against a Sauron deck, having a companion exhausted is going to make them Hate-fodder, regardless of which companion that is.  Obviously you'd just make the game-time decision to not exhaust Gimli if you're playing Sauron or Raiders.

And, RE: Desert Lord vs. Gimli, Counter of Foes... uh... Desert Lord can target ANY non-ring-bearing Gimli (and most companions, for that matter).  If you're going to exhaust one of my companions anyway, then I'd be happy for you to exhaust Counter of Foes, as he gets a bonus for being exhausted.  So, as far as the Desert Lord argument goes, Gimli, Counter of Foes is actually a great thing to have, not a disadvantage.

Blood Runs Chill would be a good option, though you could also go Secret Sentinels and/or Vilya if you decide to put about 3 Elrond HtGG in.  Yeah, Blood Runs Chill can also hit possessions, but it's not always as reliable because it's not targeted.  Also, it can't take stuff out until the regroup phase, which makes it a little less versatile than Sentinels.  Vilya is nice because it can repeatedly remove conditions, whereas BRC and SS are one-shot cards.

November 17, 2009, 10:49:01 AM
Reply #19

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 10:49:01 AM »
Red Wrath. Whirling Strike. Hate. Mordor's Strength. There are many reasons to not use Gimli, Counter of Foes.
-wtk

November 18, 2009, 07:57:15 AM
Reply #20

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 07:57:15 AM »
Red Wrath. Whirling Strike. Hate. Mordor's Strength. There are many reasons to not use Gimli, Counter of Foes.
-wtk

If you're going against a Sauron deck, having a companion exhausted is going to make them Hate-fodder, regardless of which companion that is.  Obviously you'd just make the game-time decision to not exhaust Gimli if you're playing Sauron or Raiders.

November 18, 2009, 09:13:56 AM
Reply #21

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 09:13:56 AM »
Sure, but I never play Hate unless there is an exhausted companion or I have two in hand. I feel like Gimli, Counter of Foes is just asking for it...and he usually is.

Keep in mind that Shoulder to Shoulder works on allies too. Adding Grimir, Dwarven Elder and Elrond, Herald to Gil-Galad might be a great idea. Vilya will trash your opponents support area and clog their hand as well.
-wtk

November 18, 2009, 09:36:54 AM
Reply #22

Alazzar

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 09:36:54 AM »
Gimli, Counter of Foes is only "asking for it" if you choose to put wounds on him for his bonus.  If anyone think it's a good idea to intentionally wound him when playing against Sauron, then... well, yeah, I guess they ARE asking for it.  But that's why you don't intentionally wound him against Sauron.  =P

The nice thing is, when you get to the point where you HAVE to wound him (i.e., exertions for Under the Watching Eye or archery fire from Orc Bowmen when you have no other places to put the wounds), he gets a little bonus out of it.