LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Cost of getting into Lotr: TCG in my country.  (Read 7253 times)

January 23, 2010, 08:21:50 PM
Reply #15

chompers

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Cost of getting into Lotr: TCG in my country.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
price depends on supply, demand, perhaps the quality of product, greed. Early sets that remain available generally have a low price - supply remains high and demand remains low = low price.

I can buy a box of Mines of Moria for $22 AUD from USA (postage is $37 AUD, incidently it does not cost anywhere near this to post a box to Australia from USA but Ebay don't charge fees on postage so it is an easy way for sellers to boost their profits - i don't buy internationally any more due to sellers greed on postage rates). Luckily, I can buy a box of MoM locally for $40 AUD with another $10 AUD for postage which is a much better deal but not as good as it should be due to the greed factor on international postage rates.

A box of Treachery and Deceit on Ebay is $628 AUD from USA (postage is $32 AUD). This is a case of limited supply drives the price up. Again greed is the driving factor here. Note that the seller feels less inclined to profiteer on postage - although the price is still well above what it should be for postage.

I would never pay $3 for a booster of MoM but would jump at one for T&D. I can pick up boosters of LOTR in local hobby stores from relatively available sets for $2.50 AUD on clearance, but don't because the price of a box is a much better deal.

Product generally is quite cheap if you have access to it in your country. If not, the price can be unfairly high as sellers want to make profit on postage. I empathise with Kenddrick on this issue, because he says the supply in Singapore is not good, so if he wants to buy LOTR he has to line the pockets of greedy sellers that overcharge on postage.

Rant over :)

January 24, 2010, 07:08:49 AM
Reply #16

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 07:08:49 AM »
Well I have the same situation, but. There's a but. In general US has the most stock left, and shipping in the US is general low. What I have done in the past with NappyKorn, who should be here more often, since I miss him :cry:, is the following.

I ordered a box of stuff, send it to his address. He unpacked the whole lot, I told him what uncs/commons I would need (not much) and he send those cards + rares to me. Way, way cheaper, but you have to trust the person at the other end of the deal. That is the beauty though...trusting people kicks #$&*@! :D
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

January 24, 2010, 07:13:29 AM
Reply #17

Gil-Estel

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Abuser of the Force
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 07:13:29 AM »
BTW...the ammount of money I spend on LotR  :-k :lol: hahahahaha.... Probably enough money to visit all of you on various trips. I had not discovered lotr on the Internet, and bought my boosterpacks 4 euros a piece from the local retailer, haha. €150 per month easily, especially with actions like the promo's. Friengd of mine started later, spend less money, bought a whole lot of more lotr cards...well, it happens :D
..."Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill"...

January 24, 2010, 11:48:43 AM
Reply #18

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 11:48:43 AM »
Well I have the same situation, but. There's a but. In general US has the most stock left, and shipping in the US is general low. What I have done in the past with NappyKorn, who should be here more often, since I miss him :cry:, is the following.

I ordered a box of stuff, send it to his address. He unpacked the whole lot, I told him what uncs/commons I would need (not much) and he send those cards + rares to me. Way, way cheaper, but you have to trust the person at the other end of the deal. That is the beauty though...trusting people kicks #$&*@! :D

Yeah, where the #$&*@! is Nappy? We were dealing and then woooooop, he just vanished!