LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Gandalf, The Grey + Nazgul  (Read 7666 times)

December 13, 2010, 03:17:07 AM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: Gandalf, The Grey + Nazgul
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:17:07 AM »
In terms of real help (looking at you, The New Guy V2.0), I would recommend more companions/healing.

You Shall Not Pass is a cool card, but it is nowhere near as helpful as another copy of Gandalf for healing. Maybe you should add a few copies of Departed Silently. And I would think that a copy or two of Trust Me As You Once Did would be helpful, considering you have the signets there.

Unfortunately, I do not see the Shadow as being particularly effective in Fellowship Block. I would add a few copies of Relentless Charge since the majority of Fellowship Block players run Legolas and Aragorn's Bow. That can be a really disappointing way to lose a main companion or two.

Your hand will clog with so many Nazgul (and the many abilities to choke in FotR block). Not to mention your have a ton of possessions there...what happens if you draw eight possessions going into a late site? Blade Tip and Black Breath are popular for a reason. Run them...if the opponent dumps them with Sleep, Caradhras, well, at least you have [3] more to almost play another Nazgul.
-wtk

December 13, 2010, 08:21:18 AM
Reply #2

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:21:18 AM »
You can lose an Attea for a Tower Assassin (Filibert Bolger, Thrarin, Bounder and Elrond are great targets), PROBABLY 1 Cantea and 1 Enquea for 2 Relentless Charge (unless no one runs Greenleaf/Aragorn's Bow where you play, and switch the Steeds and Morgul Gates for Blade Tips and Black Breaths. You could also try to fit in Drawn to its Power.

December 13, 2010, 11:46:10 AM
Reply #3

Iridil

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
  • Assassin * Warlord
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »
It was actually planned as a Fun-Deck for coming back to the game after 5 long years. Gandalf was my favorite companion and the fellowship block was my favorite time to play. So I came up with this.
Sam is there for the burdens via green dragon inn, then he will be sacrificed. Aragorn is there for site 8 to 9. Pippin is just a cheap blocker.
I don't know anything about the actual fotr-meta. So Tower Assassin and Relentless Charge(one of my favorite cards back in the days) may be a good call.

Thanks for the help. I will post an update soon.

December 13, 2010, 02:36:04 PM
Reply #4

ramolnar

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
I disagree with ket; Power Nazgul are playable in Fellowship Block. But you have to think differently. Against any decent player, power Nazgul get stops, not kills. If you can get 2 stops, you should be able to win.
Power Nazgul need to prepare for archers and allies. Archers are hurt by Relentless Charge and All Blades Perish. All Blades Perish is a great card against lots of things (PATHS) and it costs zero.
Allies can be killed with Tower Assassin, but Their Power is in Terror will work too. If you expect spot allies like Filibert, choose Tower Assassin. Against Horn decks, use the wound-all.
Also, you should be running Nertea. He lets you pull back Enquea and others, allowing you to shrink the deck.
Finally, you have no tricks and no ways to get overwhelms. Nazgul are about fear. Instead of all Black Steed, why not run 1 or 2 Frozen by Fear?

December 14, 2010, 02:17:02 AM
Reply #6

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 02:17:02 AM »
So, your deck might be a little on the big side, shadow-wise, since you pack a lot of FP events and your hand might get clogged. I'd keep Stricken Dumb, it's a great way to fight off tanked-up companions, and since you WANT as much twilight as you can get, I'd cut off 1 Enquea, 2 is plenty for crowd control. Also, if you're gonna play with Nazgul Swords, you might consider Drawn to its Power and upping Toldea, great crowd-control technique. On the FP Side, I'd play a second Bounder. This way, you can dodge opposing Tower Assassins and losing him at site 7 if you draw the second one late enough. You might consider fitting in Wreathed in Shadow into the Shadow side for a little more protection, and some Fireworks on the FP side for recycling (you can reduce the deck a little, cutting some copies of some events). Last, but not least, if the idea of your Shadow side is slowing down the opponent so you can outrun them, consider switching to Twilight Nagzul, they tend to be a lot scarier, are easier to defend, more flexible and, save for Sam (which would mean playing SOME copies of Helpless), burdens REALLY add up in Fellowship Block. Oh, and I'm not sure I get the second copy of Gandalf. Healing, maybe? I'd eschew it and pack Greenleaf in its place. Also, you might want to rethink playing 3 much-needed strength-pumping conditions alongside Sleep, Caradhras. Elrond might be a nice addition as well, helping slim down the deck.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:21:22 AM by Felipe Musco »

December 14, 2010, 03:59:52 AM
Reply #7

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 03:59:52 AM »
Look at those new cards in the deck! I am the People's Champion!

That said, my best recommendation now is to playtest the deck. I find a deck with that many pumps is bound to get clogged; having characters who can put up a little bit of a fight sure is helpful. Maybe, and just maybe, you might want to start with The PRancing Pony. You can change a few of those pumps in the deck to Ranger's Sword, Flaming Brand, Athelas, Aragorn's Bow, No Stranger to the Shadows, and whatever else you want and you should be good to go.

I just thought of this, but cut one Power According to His Stature, one Depart Silently, and one Sleep, Caradhras and add three copies of Barliman Butterbur, Prancing Pony Proprietor. He will allow you to draw back any of the Servant of the Secret Fire that you use and you can drop another copy to heal him.

You could probably cut this deck down by three or four cards on each side and still find room for a copy of Bill the Pony...
-wtk
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:51:26 AM by Felipe Musco »

December 14, 2010, 04:06:17 AM
Reply #8

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:08:38 AM by ket_the_jet »

December 21, 2010, 12:01:25 AM
Reply #9

Morgul_Rat

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »
Personally, I am a fun of BIG decks...lots of cards.  If it feels good to you, PLAY IT...play testing is the best way to tailor your deck!

I disagree with ket; Power Nazgul are playable in Fellowship Block. But you have to think differently.

Usually I agree with KET on MANY things (in the week or so I have been on this site), but here, I would have to agree with Ramolnar.  Nazgul can be NASTY especially mixed with other cards.  You just have to be careful because of their cost and "clogging" your hand.

One of my favorite things to do in Fellowship Block for Nazgul is BURDENS...find cards such as In the Ringwraith's Wake and other minions/conditions to add burdens.  People will think you are trying to corrupt the ring bearer and then slap them with Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul and kill off their strongest companions (btw...Enquea works really well in movie block too with Easterlings).

Just my opinions...I am still learning EVERYDAY from you guys!  Thanks!
We all have a part to play~