LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: True autolink is here!  (Read 15206 times)

May 08, 2008, 08:50:40 AM
Read 15206 times

Kralik

True autolink is here!
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:50:40 AM »
After lots of blood and sweat and tears... or at least a lot of groaning and irritation, true autolink is here! Here is a link to the PHP source.

I will be discontinuing development on the original LotRDBAL, but it remain available for downloading if anyone wants it to use on other forums. Note that it is a little buggy compared to what runs here. Links: (Program) (Source)

Autolink is done dynamically when you display a message post. This means that it does not actually edit your post text, giving it the following advantages:
  • While editing a post, you won't have to see any url BB code.
  • When changes and bugfixes are made, they will retroactively fix all previous posts!

So if you find acronyms and such that need to be removed, or cards that are not linking properly, I can fix it and it will display correctly immediately.

The downside of this method is that it has the potential to bog down the server since the autolink is run every time you view a page. I don't think it will be much of an issue since I there are not very many members on this site. Maybe if we grew to more than 500... ;)

I merged the "What the?!" topic into a Database Autolinker thread. Please leave further comments and suggestions for improvement there. Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 10:11:45 AM by Kralik »