LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Old Bilbo's Heir  (Read 3603 times)

January 31, 2017, 12:40:59 PM
Read 3603 times

Nowhereman

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Old Bilbo's Heir
« on: January 31, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »
This is my first post. I rarely ever have a deck that I consider good enough to post. This one happens to be 16:1 right now on Gemp and thought I'd post it. Nothing special, but maintains a good amount of strength against most of the meta. Here's my deck list for Old Bilbo's Heir:

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir
Ring: The One Ring, Isildur's Bane

Adventure deck:
Green Dragon Inn
Trollshaw Forest
Council Courtyard
Mithril Mine
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Dimrill Dale
Anduin Wilderland
Pillars of the Kings
Wastes of Emyn Muil

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Gimli, Son of Gloin
1x Arwen, Daughter of Elrond
1x Legolas, Greenleaf
1x Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk
1x Aragorn, Ranger of the North
1x Boromir, Son of Denethor (Starting)
1x Merry, Friend to Sam (Starting)
3x Sam, Son of Hamfast
1x Thrarin, Dwarven Smith
4x Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
1x Bounder
3x Hobbit Sword
1x Thror's Map
2x Secret Sentinels
1x Hobbit Intuition
4x Hobbit Stealth
4x A Promise
1x O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
1x There and Back Again

Shadow Draw Deck:
3x Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit
4x Goblin Runner
3x Goblin Scavengers
1x Guard Commander
4x Moria Scout
1x The Balrog, Flame of Udun
4x Troll's Keyward
4x Goblin Scimitar
3x Threat of the Unknown
4x Goblin Armory
2x Relics of Moria

Bid 4 to go first. 9 times out of 10 that's more than enough to get your site 1. Pull Hamfast and remove 2 Burdens (don't exhaust him for fear of an early Hate). You have two more copies of Sam in your deck for three reasons. One, to remove more burdens (easily) if needed, two, to play Sam later if your bid wasn't enough (not likely, but its happened), and three, to keep Sam healthy (keeping A Promise relevant).

Boromir and Merry are a force to be reckoned with. Unless you can kill both, you can't kill either. Their synergism is most useful and hard to wipe out. This becomes even more true when other comps start hitting the field. More often than not, you can double to 3 (because so many ways to handle skirmishes, like stealths, other comps, Elrond fighting at home site, etc).

All comps except for Frodo and Sam are expendable. Just there to lighten the load, soak up wounds and die. Hopefully, with stealths and "strategic loss" you'll end up with Frodo, Sam and a few lasting comps (remnant from 9 total).  With all "A Promises" out and hobbit swords, etc. Frodo is 11 strength and Sam is a 9 (assuming they're not exhausted, thanks to Elrond and Sanctuaries. And that's not including a plus 2 strength from There and Back again and any hobbit pumps you've managed to save in hand (be collecting if possible). Add a Bounder on top of that and you have one heck of a challenge killing both Frodo AND Sam (back up ring-bearer).

I consider Filibert Bolger and Mithril Coat to great additions to the deck. Occasionally I slip them in, but not always.

Obviously, Shot gun Enquea can be quite a destructive force. If you suspect him, go under 6 comps. Kill one off and play another. This is sometimes easier said than done, but not impossible.

Shadow side is really more of a farce than anything else. Even though it doesn't have the optimal power of a true moria swarm deck, it can still present a threat (and give you a shadow kill on occasion). Its main point is to clear out your hand and cycle. The deck is 33/33. So its already pretty small. With this Shadow, you'll likely be drawing most, if not all of your cards...Yay high strength Frodo and Sam! It may be obvious, but between Cavetroll and Balrog at 5, I'd choose Cavetroll. He can chase their fellowship outside of Bridge of Khazad-Dum and deal more damage. He usually forces them to stop at 5.

One last note. You may notice the sites (7, 8, 9) are not your average sites for this kind of deck. This is because, like I said, the Shadow side is more of a farce, to give more value to the Free Peoples. It doesn't really have the power to kill late game (often). This deck is definitely more focused on a Freeps win. Because of this, Thror's Map is a nifty little possesion (rarely discard-able) and with 4 hobbits (including Bounder) is often easily playable. Afraid of losing Elrond, Bounder or Thrarin? Play your site 7. Or...don't want to get auto-stopped site 8 with 5 orcs/murdered by archery (Brownlands), play your site 8 (6 instead of 9 on the Shadow site number). Don't want a monstrous Saruman-Uruk Swarm, 3 extra trackers or opponent drawing cards from burdens? Play your site 9, Isengard wounding Orcs site--usually not a deal breaker.

Thanks for reading. Comments welcome.   

January 31, 2017, 01:30:05 PM
Reply #1

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: Old Bilbo's Heir
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »
It is allowed to mix sites?

January 31, 2017, 04:04:20 PM
Reply #2

Nowhereman

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 04:04:20 PM »
Nope. They're all Fellowship Block Sites. And One site each (1,2,3,4,5...9)

But Thror's Map allows you to play the next site, YOUR site (even if you're ahead).

January 31, 2017, 11:47:18 PM
Reply #3

Enabran

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 11:47:18 PM »
OK, I can see what happened: When I follow your Link for Green Dragon Inn, Trollshaw Forest, The Bridge of Khazad-dum the "new" versions of these Sites are shown