LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Larry5000 Questions  (Read 27361 times)

January 04, 2020, 02:45:03 PM
Reply #15

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Larry5000 Questions
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 02:45:03 PM »
Another question/thought
Thrarin, Smith of Erebor Gains Damage + 1 from Artifacts and Possessions Along with that, Proud and Able also gives all dwarfs damage + 1 for all Possessions they bear So for Thrarin it becomes a double dose of damages which can really shoot the strength up with a card like Honed.

So with that said along that thought pattern can a dwarf like Uri also gain double with his game text; he is damage X with (Proud and Able and maybe a Ring) for an exertion he becomes Strength X, pretty much what Honed does for you normally, but can he gain double by using Honed on him?

He gains "double" in that he gets +X strength from Honed and +X strength from his ability for a total of +2X, but it's better to think of that as two separate strength bonuses. Indeed, you can use his ability as long as he isn't exhausted, so if Uri is Damage +7 you could use his ability twice to give him +(7 + 7) = +14 or play a copy of Honed and use his ability once for the same strength buff to save some vitality.

January 04, 2020, 07:18:48 PM
Reply #16

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 07:18:48 PM »
Another question/thought
Thrarin, Smith of Erebor Gains Damage + 1 from Artifacts and Possessions Along with that, Proud and Able also gives all dwarfs damage + 1 for all Possessions they bear So for Thrarin it becomes a double dose of damages which can really shoot the strength up with a card like Honed.

So with that said along that thought pattern can a dwarf like Uri also gain double with his game text; he is damage X with (Proud and Able and maybe a Ring) for an exertion he becomes Strength X, pretty much what Honed does for you normally, but can he gain double by using Honed on him?

He gains "double" in that he gets +X strength from Honed and +X strength from his ability for a total of +2X, but it's better to think of that as two separate strength bonuses. Indeed, you can use his ability as long as he isn't exhausted, so if Uri is Damage +7 you could use his ability twice to give him +(7 + 7) = +14 or play a copy of Honed and use his ability once for the same strength buff to save some vitality.

Thanks, I had forgot or not even thought that Uri could do that more than once to himself, actually at his base vitality he could do it 3 times but if you had all 4 copies of Endurance of Dwarves on him and maybe even the Ring of Retribution, he could more or less become the Superman of the Dwarves at least once until he healed back up. But yea I understand using Honed on him to save his vitality anyway.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 07:31:41 PM by Larry50001 »

January 05, 2020, 01:39:49 AM
Reply #17

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 01:39:49 AM »
Thanks, I had forgot or not even thought that Uri could do that more than once to himself, actually at his base vitality he could do it 3 times but if you had all 4 copies of Endurance of Dwarves on him and maybe even the Ring of Retribution, he could more or less become the Superman of the Dwarves at least once until he healed back up. But yea I understand using Honed on him to save his vitality anyway.
Or you can use Aragorn Defender of Free Peoples + some [Dwarven] tokens (conditions like Suspended Palaces, Stout and Strong or Chamber of Records) to keep Uri healthy after each exertion. ;)

If you're going the Endurance of Dwarves route, beware of condition discard (and Wormtongue), since losing the vitality bonuses can kill him if he's wounded enough. Gimli Feared Axeman can protect your [Dwarven] conditions (while Great Day, Great Hour or Slaked Thirsts can nullify Grima).
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

January 05, 2020, 10:23:46 AM
Reply #18

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 10:23:46 AM »
Or you can use Aragorn Defender of Free Peoples + some [Dwarven] tokens (conditions like Suspended Palaces, Stout and Strong or Chamber of Records) to keep Uri healthy after each exertion. ;)

If you're going the Endurance of Dwarves route, beware of condition discard (and Wormtongue), since losing the vitality bonuses can kill him if he's wounded enough. Gimli Feared Axeman can protect your [Dwarven] conditions (while Great Day, Great Hour or Slaked Thirsts can nullify Grima).

I was trying to find the best way to heal Uri as much as possible on a consistent bases. I found cards like Still Draws Breath and Dwarven Heart, the latter being one of those cards where you need to remove it before the second half kicks in which Dain Ironfoot seems to handle rather well.

While Grimir can handle getting back Still Draws Breath he can not do anything for Dwarven Heart being as it is a condition. I wish the Dwarfs had something like the Gandalf culture in the form of Fireworks, but I do not see much in the way of retrieving cards back in the Dwarven culture. If anybody knows of anything that would help there let me know please. 

January 05, 2020, 10:40:25 AM
Reply #19

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 10:40:25 AM »
Speaking of Grimir, is the only way to heal him and keep him up to date is by using Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad or Elrond, Lord of Rivendell? If there are other ways to do that which are simple I would love to know.

Also speaking of healing Allies, is there anyway at all to heal Barliman Butterbur Prancing Pony Proprietor He would be a great card to use on a consistent bases in Gandalf decks for retrieving Event Cards but I find no way to keep him going. Elrond can't do anything as he is not a site 3 Ally. He seems useless as a one hit wonder.

January 05, 2020, 12:11:11 PM
Reply #20

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 12:11:11 PM »
Speaking of Grimir, is the only way to heal him and keep him up to date is by using Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad or Elrond, Lord of Rivendell? If there are other ways to do that which are simple I would love to know.

Also speaking of healing Allies, is there anyway at all to heal Barliman Butterbur Prancing Pony Proprietor He would be a great card to use on a consistent bases in Gandalf decks for retrieving Event Cards but I find no way to keep him going. Elrond can't do anything as he is not a site 3 Ally. He seems useless as a one hit wonder.

Discard copies of Grimir or Barliman from your hand during your fellowship phase. Each discarded copy is a heal.

January 05, 2020, 01:16:51 PM
Reply #21

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 01:16:51 PM »

Discard copies of Grimir or Barliman from your hand during your fellowship phase. Each discarded copy is a heal.
OH OK yea did not think of that.

January 05, 2020, 06:00:14 PM
Reply #22

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 06:00:14 PM »
I was trying to find the best way to heal Uri as much as possible on a consistent bases. I found cards like Still Draws Breath and Dwarven Heart, the latter being one of those cards where you need to remove it before the second half kicks in which Dain Ironfoot seems to handle rather well.
You have Axe of Erebor to discard Dwarven Heart too. Shoulder to Shoulder + Elves (preferrably self-healing allies) can heal tons of wounds, though the twilight added can make doublemoving more difficult. Mines of Khazad-Dum + [Dwarven] tales is incredible to keep your Dwarves healed; add Bilbo WSG and Defending the Keep, and you'll be healing your Dwarves while discarding Shadow conditions as a mere byproduct!

Still, to keep Uri healed I insist with Aragorn DoFP, because he heals in the perfect phase. Mines of Khazad-Dum, Dwarven Heart and Courtesy of My Hall work too early (fellowship) and Ring of FuryElrond HtGG and A Royal Welcome too late (regroup) to be perfect. Archery direct exertions (Desert Lord) can exhaust Uri in both cases, while Aragorn will still make Uri's skill useful. You can, of course, mix different healing methods if you wish (that way you won't lose everything if Aragorn is killed/discarded).

Grimir can be healed by Aragorn DoFP too. Or Dwarven Heart. Or Shoulder to Shoulder, I've used that to recycle tons of [Dwarven] events over and over (but keep in mind it'll dilute your Shadow-to-FP ratio in the late game).

Also speaking of healing Allies, is there anyway at all to heal Barliman Butterbur Prancing Pony Proprietor
With Elves, Barliman can in theory be healed with Master of Healing, but haven't tested it yet to tell you if it's reliable or not. Mithlond can be abused in Expanded (with Traveled Leader and Speak Friend and Enter) to heal your [Gandalf] allies very frequently.

I wish the Dwarfs had something like the Gandalf culture in the form of Fireworks, but I do not see much in the way of retrieving cards back in the Dwarven culture. If anybody knows of anything that would help there let me know please. 
It exists: Storm of Argument. It's a roulette, but seldom will hit 0 and can be recycled by Grimir so both work very well together. It's really great to return to deck spent Hand Axes and Gimli's Helm, or weapons discarded by Cantea LoDG. Or Endurance of Dwarves, Lord of Moria, Flurry of Blows...

To replay [Dwarven] conditions directly there is Defending the Keep as said above, it's a really awesome card. To replay weapons, Beneath the Mountains.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:06:17 PM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

January 05, 2020, 08:32:56 PM
Reply #23

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 08:32:56 PM »
Thanks Durin's Heir many good suggestions there. I liked menace64 answer on dropping cards of the same character to heal them. It was a simple answer and one I forgot about or just thought it could only be done to companions. I need to order some extra copies of Barliman Butterbut, discard them as I get them to heal the original and then use Fireworks to get those cards back to do it all over again.

Yes Grimir is a good one for fetching events I use him allot along with Elrond HtGG to keep him nice and fresh. To bad Endurance of Dwarves is only for Dwarves the other counter parts for Gondorian men and Elves are unique. How often do we catch ourselves playing with an Ent just so we can have Ent Draughts for one more vitality somewhere. The Rohans are the worse on cards giving you more Vitality Short of King Theoden having it a little better with his sword and the Gandalf card Hearken To Me There is only Coif left after that.

January 05, 2020, 08:42:02 PM
Reply #24

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 08:42:02 PM »
In anybody's opinion What is the best Dwarf card(S) that can gain a good amount of tokens so that Aragorn DoFP can really benefit from it?

January 06, 2020, 06:44:52 AM
Reply #25

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 06:44:52 AM »
Another question/thought

Yes, if Uri is damage +X, you exert him using his gametext, and you play honed on him, he will be strength +2x
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

January 06, 2020, 08:52:34 AM
Reply #26

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 08:52:34 AM »
Barliman Butterbut

Well if that isn't the best typo I'll see all year...  :lol:

January 07, 2020, 06:45:55 AM
Reply #27

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 06:45:55 AM »
Barliman Butterbut

Well if that isn't the best typo I'll see all year...  :lol:
Opps.

January 07, 2020, 07:03:52 AM
Reply #28

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 07:03:52 AM »
Was reading a post on  Eomer, Heir to Meduseld. I wanted to ask this on his second half text. Is it safe to say that to get his full benefit of + 1 for each Rohan man spotted... you would half to make sure you resolved all other skirmishes first before him, that way no one else is considered to be in a skirmish at that point in time? This is all assuming that you had assigned others to skirmishes in the first place along with him.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:08:00 AM by Larry50001 »

January 07, 2020, 08:04:31 AM
Reply #29

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 08:04:31 AM »
Was reading a post on  Eomer, Heir to Meduseld. I wanted to ask this on his second half text. Is it safe to say that to get his full benefit of + 1 for each Rohan man spotted... you would half to make sure you resolved all other skirmishes first before him, that way no one else is considered to be in a skirmish at that point in time? This is all assuming that you had assigned others to skirmishes in the first place along with him.

Yes, by resolving any other skirmishes first, there will no longer be any other companions assigned to a skirmish
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man