LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Larry5000 Questions  (Read 26453 times)

January 08, 2020, 06:32:56 AM
Reply #45

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
Re: Larry5000 Questions
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2020, 06:32:56 AM »
I can only answer intuitively (ie: without a source) when I say that Anduril's text wins, since the only way to satisfy both weapons is by only bearing Anduril. Someone else will be along to verify my answer, but I'd like to share a bit of an ancient anecdote your question brought to my mind. This was right after Mines of Moria released as Dwarves started coming into their own. The rules question of my local playing group was whether a companion could bear 3+ copies of Hand Axe at the same time. For a while we were playing its text cumulatively, leading to outrageous Dwarves with 4x Endurance of Dwarves, 4x Hand Axe, and a Dwarven Axe on top because from a certain point of view the whole thing made sense.

Durin's Bane never stood a chance.
Per the rules, each character can bear one class of possession or artifact at a time.  

Quote from: Comprehensive Rules 4.0 - Class
Each character may bear one possession or
artifact of each class at one time. For example, a character may bear only one hand weapon, only
one ranged weapon, only one armor, only one cloak, and only one staff.
Some possessions and artifacts do not have a class. There is no limit to the number of cards without a class that a character may bear.
The text of hand axe (and Knife of the Galadhrim, Flaming brand etc) creates an exception to allow one other hand weapon to a maximum of 2, regardless of how many copies of the text you have.

January 08, 2020, 07:50:41 AM
Reply #46

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2020, 07:50:41 AM »
 Pengedhel, Naith Warrior gets a + 2 strength bonus if bearing a range weapon, but goes on to say he does not add to the fellowship archery total. So to be sure my question is: If the range weapon he bears is an Elven Bow which would then make him an archer do we not get to count that archer as a +1 archer for the total archery count?

January 08, 2020, 08:39:09 AM
Reply #47

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2020, 08:39:09 AM »
Pengedhel, Naith Warrior gets a + 2 strength bonus if bearing a range weapon, but goes on to say he does not add to the fellowship archery total. So to be sure my question is: If the range weapon he bears is an Elven Bow which would then make him an archer do we not get to count that archer as a +1 archer for the total archery count?

Right, if he bears a ranged weapon, he gets a strength bonus but doesn't add to the fellowship archery total.  A better choice for him than Elven Bow is Naith Longbow, which gives even more strength.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

January 08, 2020, 08:46:17 AM
Reply #48

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2020, 08:46:17 AM »
Right, if he bears a ranged weapon, he gets a strength bonus but doesn't add to the fellowship archery total.  A better choice for him than Elven Bow is Naith Longbow, which gives even more strength.

OK then I was not sure if I was missing something so if that is the case you are right  Naith Longbow is a much better choice I was looking at that also.

January 11, 2020, 02:04:37 AM
Reply #49

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2020, 02:04:37 AM »
I had to re-sign up for Gemp as I saw no way to request my password. Since it has been forever since I was on Gemp (really never to play at all)  I could not remember to much of how things operated. A couple of questions, do they give you all the cards or do you have to buy them or buy just certain ones or what?  2) Once you are in there for the first time where is it best to start. I am asking also for a couple of my friends here locally as they may be interested to check it out, however if there is cost involved to have to purchase cards, I am not sure they would like to do that as they have spent way to much on the physical cards over the years and now money needs to go to more important life happening moments. While I still purchase some physical cards from different places (the cheaper ones, not the ones they are asking outrageous money for one card) I too am not in a position to be buying more in Gemp either should that be the case. Thanks in advance for more specifics on Gemp.

January 11, 2020, 02:52:26 AM
Reply #50

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Alex Jones was right
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2020, 02:52:26 AM »
Gemp is free as a bird, my fellow! You are given all cards to play and build decks. (Even some Fan Made formats, like the Second Edition and the Hobbit Draft Game!)

There is some vitual currency to play leagues and compete, but has no relation with anything in the real world (it isn't bought, you start with 200 gold pieces, and each week you get 50 more). You can purchase cards in the Merchant but there's no need at all to do so anymore. The Leagues that used cards of your "My Cards" collection are no longer done (and won't return). So just build and play, my fellow!

Best format to start? Fellowship Block. Fewer cards, combos and rules. Ask for help in the Game Hall chat (the place where you start after login) if you need, and ask your opponent for patience and say you're a beginner in Gemp's interface. Be polite, and enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:55:25 AM by Durin's Heir »
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

January 11, 2020, 03:08:28 AM
Reply #51

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2020, 03:08:28 AM »
Gemp is free as a bird, my fellow! You are given all cards to play and build decks. (Even some Fan Made formats, like the Second Edition and the Hobbit Draft Game!)

There is some vitual currency to play leagues and compete, but has no relation with anything in the real world (it isn't bought, you start with 200 gold pieces, and each week you get 50 more). You can purchase cards in the Merchant but there's no need at all to do so anymore. The Leagues that used cards of your "My Cards" collection are no longer done (and won't return). So just build and play, my fellow!

Best format to start? Fellowship Block. Fewer cards, combos and rules. Ask for help in the Game Hall chat (the place where you start after login) if you need, and ask your opponent for patience and say you're a beginner in Gemp's interface. Be polite, and enjoy!

OK Thanks Durins Heir. One other question in thought, you say they give you all the cards from all the sets so you are not missing anything, does that include up to 4 copies of each card? Some cards you may want to have 4 copies of a particular card, just wanted to know that for sure. Also you mentioned still receiving gold pieces 200 to start and 50 after that each week .. if there is really no need to use the virtual gold to buy the cards what is the advantage of doing so, anything?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:10:10 AM by Larry50001 »

January 11, 2020, 03:21:21 AM
Reply #52

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2020, 03:21:21 AM »
Is Faramir, Bearer of Quality skirmish game text all most like having a built in make a minion roaming feature? Something you might find useful if you still need them roaming towards sites 7, 8, or maybe for sure 9 Keeping those good Fortifications going for them. Or cards that reduce a roaming minion's strength.

January 11, 2020, 03:27:07 AM
Reply #53

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2020, 03:27:07 AM »
The card Armor of the White City makes a Gondor man a knight, is there a card similar to that, that makes a Gondor man a ranger?

January 11, 2020, 04:00:18 AM
Reply #54

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2020, 04:00:18 AM »
Is Faramir, Bearer of Quality skirmish game text all most like having a built in make a minion roaming feature? Something you might find useful if you still need them roaming towards sites 7, 8, or maybe for sure 9 Keeping those good Fortifications going for them. Or cards that reduce a roaming minion's strength.

Yes, he can make minions roaming regardless of site number, even at site 9.
"If the world becomes pagan and perishes, the last man left alive would do well to quote the Iliad and die." -G.K. Chesterton, The Everlasting Man

January 11, 2020, 04:00:43 AM
Reply #55

Air Power

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2020, 04:00:43 AM »
The card Armor of the White City makes a Gondor man a knight, is there a card similar to that, that makes a Gondor man a ranger?

Nope

January 11, 2020, 05:03:53 AM
Reply #56

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2020, 05:03:53 AM »
Thank you Air Power for your answers.

January 11, 2020, 05:07:51 AM
Reply #57

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2020, 05:07:51 AM »
Just to be sure of this: When a card calls for a Skirmish Event to be played, that can either be a card (in the middle) so marked Skirmish-Event or a card marked Event (in the middle) with the Bold Keyword Skirmish in the text below, is that correct?

January 11, 2020, 05:20:02 AM
Reply #58

Larry50001

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2020, 05:20:02 AM »
Is there any site one cards that generically bring out a Gondor man in general? I know of the one that brings out a ranger, or brings out a card that has the Aragorn Signet.

January 11, 2020, 12:14:45 PM
Reply #59

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2020, 12:14:45 PM »
Just to be sure of this: When a card calls for a Skirmish Event to be played, that can either be a card (in the middle) so marked Skirmish-Event or a card marked Event (in the middle) with the Bold Keyword Skirmish in the text below, is that correct?

Yes. Exact same thing, just a slight change in presentation.