LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: A return to something familiar  (Read 3759 times)

July 06, 2018, 10:08:42 AM
Read 3759 times

nerteaTBR

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
  • We are the future of gaming
    • Alternate Dimensions Gaming, LLC
A return to something familiar
« on: July 06, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »
This game engine is still one of my favorite engines of all time.  Earlier this year, I formed Alternate Dimensions Gaming LLC.  Recently I have had conversations with Chuck Kallenbach (who currently works with Direwolf Digital) about the old game, what mistakes he though the designers / developers made, and whether or not he would be interested in seeing the game engine reused.  He gave me some tips going forward.

Yes, you heard right.

Alternate Dimensions Gaming is working on world with plans to use the portions of the game engine of the LotR TCG for a new game.  I'm very excited about the direction and design of this project.  I hope you will be too.

Brad Reeves
Founder and CEO
Alternate Dimensions Gaming, LLC
"We are the future of gaming"

Founder and CEO

July 06, 2018, 01:25:30 PM
Reply #1

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Re: A return to something familiar
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
THIS IS SO WEIRD!

I kid you not, I've been working on a LotRTCG2E on my own these last six months (my second such attempt!) and had only HOURS ago decided to eat lunch and finish some household stuff before posting my Charter for a Second Edition.

It's pretty much ready, although I didn't reckon there'd be much of an audience. I was mostly content to conspire away with myself over the very topics you likely discussed with Mr. Kallenbach: mainly the decisions made as the game aged and questions of longevity became a concern. I've made some decent headway on my own and I'm incredibly interested in any traction that can be stirred in precisely the direction you and I seem to be traveling towards. \:D/

Do you need somebody who's known how to play since before launch, somebody who's written two games' worth of DCs over the course of fifteen years under the scrutinous eyes of some of the shrewedest monst-

ahem

I would like to offer you my services. What do you need? What more can you share?

Also hello again! ;D Welcome back!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 01:28:51 PM by menace64 »

July 06, 2018, 05:33:36 PM
Reply #2

nerteaTBR

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 05:33:36 PM »
First off, glad to be back.  I work at a community college for my day job and also sponsor a Tabletop Gaming Club.  It is there that I got the idea after seeing may players enjoy my demo of LotR.

I can't go in to a whole lot at the moment but I'll drop a few things:

• Asian cultures tended to have stories of cursed items, particularly the Muramasa Blades in Japan.  Those blades made a great starting point as a replacement
  • The world that has been created is in an Asian Fantasy setting.  Why?  Taoism explains the old Shadow mechanic beautifully.
  • This game will have fictions and give players the opportunity to affect the ongoing story of the game.  This keeps players engaged both in the game and the story longer.
Founder and CEO

July 06, 2018, 06:44:49 PM
Reply #3

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 06:44:49 PM »
I can really see a Taoist element working well with the twilight pool!

What kind of resources have you been able to piece together? Or are we starting at the foundation?

July 07, 2018, 10:02:12 AM
Reply #4

menace64

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »
I slept on it and now I'm not so sure. I feel like we should be trying to use the LotR rules to continue the game itself, not divert it to our own properties, however fun that is in the DC-environment.

I'm still not sure where anybody stands on that point. I think there's enough devoted fans of the game still to organize something LotR-first.

I mean, look at WARS. The SWCCG engine alone could not save that game.

July 07, 2018, 01:00:59 PM
Reply #5

nerteaTBR

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 01:00:59 PM »
If you wish to continue the LOTRTCG2E plans, by all means continue it.  I have no problem with that. 

I agree that it going down a new IP path is a risk, but it is one that I will attempt since the LotR license is currently under contract with Fantasy Flight Games / Asmodee North America (and they aren't giving that one up to my knowledge).

I slept on it and now I'm not so sure. I feel like we should be trying to use the LotR rules to continue the game itself, not divert it to our own properties, however fun that is in the DC-environment.

I'm still not sure where anybody stands on that point. I think there's enough devoted fans of the game still to organize something LotR-first.

Founder and CEO

July 12, 2018, 02:25:41 PM
Reply #6

Landsman

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 02:25:41 PM »
I slept on it and now I'm not so sure. I feel like Crazy Bulk is the way to go and we should be trying to use the LotR rules to continue the game itself, not divert it to our own properties, however fun that is in the DC-environment.

What you guys doing is so exciting. I wish you a lot of luck on your projects! This is exactly what I'd love to see more of so I'll pay close attention to your progress.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 09:05:25 AM by Landsman »