LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: GEMP LotR Moderation Discussion  (Read 3011 times)

July 27, 2016, 11:51:28 AM
Read 3011 times

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
GEMP LotR Moderation Discussion
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:51:28 AM »
Open forum to bring your questions/comments/concerns about the state of GEMP Moderators and moderation.

I will participate and respond as I have time.

July 27, 2016, 11:56:45 AM
Reply #1

secondbest

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: GEMP LotR Moderation Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 11:56:45 AM »
Well about the 14-day ban on bol...

I think the ban was warranted and maybe even a little late. But the amount levied seems a little bit harsh. Don't forget that if the punishment exceeds the crime that's cruelty.

I think because the warning/ban was late the punishment was a little bit on the severe site.

I understand the pressure on the moderation and the thankless job he has to do. And sometimes his definition of harsh may differ from mine or others. But I think and hope we have a more understanding and forgiving authority.

July 27, 2016, 12:15:30 PM
Reply #2

harold3

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
  • Shop smart...Shop S-Mart
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 12:15:30 PM »
I think that Merrick has a tough job dealing with all of the crap that he has to deal with. I think the 14 day ban was warranted and hopefully it helps. Look we have rules that need to be followed in order to use the site. that's how it works.

July 27, 2016, 04:39:11 PM
Reply #3

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 04:39:11 PM »
Personally I think Merrick_H is an excellent moderator. He does give people second chances and deals with people fairly, but we shouldn't allow users to endlessly whine in the game hall just because there's no one occasion where they've blatantly broken the CoC. I think bol has had this for a long time coming. It's only 2 weeks at any rate, I'm pretty sure he's already had periods where he's been away longer than that.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 28, 2016, 06:47:57 AM
Reply #4

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 06:47:57 AM »
You know I'd never want to sound like a sycophant, but I cannot think of a problem with Merrick_H and CoS as moderators on Gemp.

I do not envy either of them, performing a free service on a website that is supposed to be fun. To me, it is like going to your favorite sport team's stadium and then working in a concession booth the whole time with no view of the field and having to tell the hooligans that they cannot have more alcohol. It is a thankless job, but it keeps the environment better on the whole.

I do think that the site would benefit from another one or two moderators. I have never had a problem with players swearing, but I do draw the line at hate speech, particularly racism, xenophobia, and homophobia. There are a few players who have gotten away with remarks that are entirely inappropriate in any forum, let alone a gaming website.

My office firewall has finally blocked Gemp, so the site will be seeing significantly less of me. But I will be sure to swing around when I can make it. I just hope it remains a friendly environment for all players,
-wtk

July 28, 2016, 11:30:24 AM
Reply #5

harold3

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 11:30:24 AM »
I don't get why we are having this discussion honestly. We have mods for the site. They regulate the COC as they see fit. I have seen no abuse of power and if you don't like how they do things don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out.

They are unpayed volunteer's who show up and do this because they love the game and want it to succeed. They want us to have fun.

So quit whining grow up and have a good time.

There is no conspiracy to make anyone lose, there is no "code issue" to make anyones draws come out better or worse than others. No one is trying to get someone to leave by being unfair.

Just play the game.

July 28, 2016, 02:43:24 PM
Reply #6

Merrick_H

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 02:43:24 PM »
I don't get why we are having this discussion honestly.
We are having this discussion partially because people are unfamiliar with the code of conduct and don't understand how the warning/suspension system works.  Frankly, I think if people read the code of conduct and rules tabs, most of the problems/misunderstandings would go away.

July 28, 2016, 04:07:45 PM
Reply #7

harold3

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 04:07:45 PM »
I agree. I just find it frustrating.  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I think it stems from the anonymity of the internet. "I can say what I want because I can't actually see the person and they will never find me" if this was a real life face to face situation I feel there would be far less issues. But arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics even if you win you're still retarded. oh well.

July 28, 2016, 10:40:27 PM
Reply #8

bibfortuna25

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:40:27 PM »
I've had brief thoughts of opponent cheating at times, like they draw an Enquea at the worst possible time for me, or they use Sleep, Caradhras to erase my Moria conditions just when I'm about to drop a swarm, or other luck factors that don't work out in my favor. But I've also been the beneficiary of good draws, getting most of my companions and their gear at site 1 and waltzing to the end.

LOTR is a luck-based game, depending almost entirely on the order your cards are drawn. Games like Star Wars, you can manipulate your deck to the point where luck is almost a non-factor, especially in mid- to late-game.

The best you can do in LOTR is to minimize how much luck can affect you. Use smaller decks, multiples of key cards, and have reliable ways of cycling dead cards out of your hand. But you still have few ways to control what cards you'll draw off the top of your deck. Sometimes all your Aragorns will cluster at the bottom of your deck. It happens to all of us.

There's no conspiracy to make some people have bad draws and others have good draws. The law of averages says it will all even out in the end.
All cards do what they say, no more, no less.

March 15, 2017, 09:54:49 AM
Reply #9

sgtdraino

• Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Ranger of Ecthelion
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 09:54:49 AM »
The only thing I can think to add, is it would be nice if there was some way to incorporate CoC reports and punishments into gemp directly. Many players don't come here, new players often don't even realize this forum exists. So if there was a way to announce violations on Gemp in a public way in which the general player base sees people being held accountable, I think that could help curb violations. Maybe in the MOTD field? How much text can you put in there?
"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king." - Boromir

October 22, 2017, 08:37:32 AM
Reply #10

Dovla

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »
I was banned today for telling mod that he is annoying with telling people how to behave (nobodydidnt really do anything, he was just policing around like they are children and not adults).
I compared him with merrick (who never banned me and took everything as a lighthearted joke, which it is).

I hope the new mod Zorcaoms or w/e his name is is happy that he has some real authority for the first time in his life on an online platform where he exercises it. Good for you man, im glad that you have the power to treat grown people as children and you enjoy it.

Now let me play lotr tcg.

November 09, 2019, 09:29:24 AM
Reply #11

Dovla

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 09:29:24 AM »
I was banned today for telling mod that he is annoying with telling people how to behave (nobodydidnt really do anything, he was just policing around like they are children and not adults).
I compared him with merrick (who never banned me and took everything as a lighthearted joke, which it is).

I hope the new mod Zorcaoms or w/e his name is is happy that he has some real authority for the first time in his life on an online platform where he exercises it. Good for you man, im glad that you have the power to treat grown people as children and you enjoy it.

Now let me play lotr tcg.

I was banned again, please put the transcription of the conversation in the topic,it is almost hilarious how the mod acts (not like an adult). This cannot be serious that i was banned permanently.

November 12, 2019, 01:38:17 PM
Reply #12

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »
I was banned again, please put the transcription of the conversation in the topic,it is almost hilarious how the mod acts (not like an adult). This cannot be serious that i was banned permanently.

Hot take here: Adults take responsibility for their actions and respect community rules. That your quote post cites your own last comment on this thread where you browbeat a moderator while calling for everyone to behave like adults is comically ironic. Perhaps you should take a step back and understand what got you to this point.
-wtk