LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: FotR Top Ten list  (Read 3304 times)

June 23, 2020, 08:55:58 AM
Read 3304 times

daneoid

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
FotR Top Ten list
« on: June 23, 2020, 08:55:58 AM »
Back in the day I loved making top ten lists (really of anything) but especially for cards within a TCG set. I was reminiscing and thought it would be fun to put together an LotR TCG one. Figured I'd start with the FotR set. I'll use the Gemp errata version of the cards btw (essentially just knocking The Mirror of Galadriel and Thror's Map off the list)

I'm sure this has the potential to be contentious; discussion is welcomed, of course. Anyways, ranked in order of ascending "goodness" with a short explanation

10. No Stranger to the Shadows: Despite FotR only containing 3 distinct Rangers (split between 2 cultures) this card still manages to be broken. combine with Sting and A Talent for Not Being Seen to induce rage-quitting.

9. Goblin Armory: The twilight factory of a shadow side that definitely knows what to do with extra twilight. Additionally, the wound prevention is such a necessary check to an archery-heavy set. Gnarly picture, too.

8. Saruman's Power/ Sleep, Caradhras: Yes, I'm cheating and sneaking 2 analogous cards into 1 slot. And, no, you don't have any conditions.

7. Galadriel, Lady of Light: What's better than elves? Free Elves. The blanket healing is just insult to injury.

6. Savagery to Match their Numbers: "if you can spot 5 companions your Uruk-Hai is now the Cave Troll of Moria"

5. Sam, Son of Hamfast: "Obsoleter of corruption decks" would be a more honest, straightforward subtitle. Opening up the gamet of burden-adding cards/abilities is the true value, imo. Easily splash-able to boot.

4. Aragorn's Bow: So lemme get this straight... for a mere one twilight I get to transform my Aragorn into a beefier, more vital (and some would say better looking) Legs, Greenleaf? In any Gorn-containing freep side the only question is 2, 3 or 4 copies?

3. Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul: The ultimate crowd control. To this day "inky"-induced PTSD usually precludes me from assembling decks with 6 companions. Probably the most splashed shadow card in any format, a testament to his destructive power.

2. Elrond, Lord of Rivendell: The once and forever king of card advantage; and spotting Gandalf really widens his playability. Tons of nasty combos in this set (Ottar) as well as in future sets (Secret Sentinels, Horn of Boromir)

1. Sting: Banned outside of block constructed and with good reason. Tips a choke-heavy set completely over the edge. What really makes it the #1 choice for me is it's compatibility with every single deck due to Frodo being the sole ring-bearer. I honestly think this card would still be playable with a twilight cost of 5.

So many honorable mentions (in no particular order): Aragorn, Ranger of the North, Desperate Defense of the Ring,  Forces of Mordor, Legolas, Greenleaf, Hobbit Stealth, Lurtz, Servant of Isengard, Ottar, Man of Laketown, Power According to his Stature,  Saruman's Snows, Servant of the Secret Fire, Thrarin, Dwarven Smith, Ulaire Cantea, Lieutenant of Dol Goldur, Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur, Armor, Morgul Gates

Worst Card: Alive and Unspoiled

Best Art (besides Goblin Armory of course): 3-way tie between No Ordinary Storm, Stairs of Khazad-dum and Aragorn: Ranger of the North

modified to make links work
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:05:22 AM by daneoid »
“Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere.”

June 23, 2020, 02:47:33 PM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: FotR Top Ten list
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 02:47:33 PM »
Cool topic! We had a few old conversations around top twenty Fellowship cards, top ten Mines of Moria, and top ten Realms of the Elf Lords cards.

I'd love to see more of these kinds of lists, personally!
-wtk

June 23, 2020, 03:22:12 PM
Reply #2

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 03:22:12 PM »
6. Savagery to Match their Numbers: "if you can spot 5 companions your Uruk-Hai is now the Cave Troll of Moria"

I never thought of it this way but that is horrifyingly accurate.

June 23, 2020, 04:14:06 PM
Reply #3

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 04:14:06 PM »
What a fun idea. My picks are based on what I felt were the enablers of the best deck I made in FotR (Pipes/Moria Archery), and what I feel are the meta defining cards that you must take into account to have a viable deck. Also sticking with set 01 only.

#10. Bitter Hatred. I love this card. It is the main reason Moria Archery is viable in Fellowship Block. Whether you're using it to snipe Elrond, Galadriel or Greenleaf, it rocks. And yes, I'm including this over Hate as it doesn't require you to play Sauron.
#9. Ulaire Cantea, LoDG. Singlehandedly makes dwarf decks unplayable in FotR. Attea is almost as good, but this guy is the hardest to play around.
#8. Savagery to Match Their Numbers. What a card. The only reason it's not higher is that Uruks need this and KoI to be viable (set 01 only leagues actually saw the other shadow cultures get more play: even Sauron).
#7. Merry, Friend to Sam. 18 sets later and they couldn't make a better Merry. Has anyone successfully played a different Merry (except Swordthain or Horticulturalist in a Merry's Sword deck) when this guy is available?
#6. Goblin Runner. At effectively minus one cost, it could be argued that this minion has the best stats in the game.
#5. Sleep Caradhras. Moria's worst nightmare. This is the reason Gandalf is played. It nukes your own conditions, too, but that's not an issue if you play pipes. Saruman's Power is excellent, but I find removing Black Breath/Swarms more necessary than A Talent for Not Being Seen/No Stranger to the Shadows.
#4. Greenleaf. When I first saw this card, I was disappointed. He hurts himself as much as he does the minions, how is that any good? Then I found Gemp and saw exactly why he was probably the most popular companion in FotR. Probably the most played companion in Movie, too.
#3. Ulaire Enquea, LoM. The most meta defining card of all time? No other card influences play/deck building as much as this card.
#2. Goblin Armoury. This is the card that makes condition discard mandatory in the block. Should have been Tengwar for sure.
#1. Aragorn's Bow. Without this card, the block would be unrecognisable. In fact, I doubt Aragorn, HttWC would even really be worth playing-RotN would be almost always better as swarm would now be the most deadly thing around.

Honourable Mention. Tol Brandir. If you do insist on playing Sauron, though, this is the best site in the block. Also a staple for stupid Swarm.
Honourable Mention #2. Shoulder to Shoulder. This card is so good that it is the reason I play a Goblin Scrabbler in my Moria Archery deck. If you don't have a way to get rid of this, a dedicated deck will tear through you (especially if combined with Deep in Thought).

No Galadriel/Last Alliance? They are really good cards, but these 12 are more defining. If I play a Goblin Scrabbler, I'll almost always go for Shoulder to Shoulder before TLAoEaM.

Oh, and as for coolest picture, I'm going for Denizens Enraged. Or the picture on the booster box: it's better than The Nine Walkers. Best foil is Hobbit Farmer.

Worst card: The Ring's Oppression
Worst rare: Strength of Kings (or Orc Butchery)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:45:44 AM by Legion »

June 24, 2020, 03:38:53 AM
Reply #4

daneoid

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 03:38:53 AM »
Legion, I like your list! We've got a fair amount of overlap.

Denizen's Enraged is a definitely a sweet pic, I see you're a sucker for Moria too.

nice choice on worst card, definitely a stinker  :lol:
“Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere.”

June 24, 2020, 03:40:20 PM
Reply #5

SGollum

• Information Offline
  • Uruk-hai
  • The Smeags
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 03:40:20 PM »
Honourable Mention. Tol Brandir. If you do insist on playing Sauron, though, this is the best site in the block. Also a staple for stupid Swarm.

I always use Tol Brandir in my Moria swarm decks, lol.
Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.