LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: LotR-TCG Card Generator using nanDECK  (Read 19539 times)

January 29, 2021, 08:02:39 PM
Reply #105

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
Re: LotR-TCG Card Generator using nanDECK
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »
Card Generator v2.0.3 Update

See above for upgrade instructions if you are upgrading from version 1.x!

Download here

Documentation is included as a PDF with each release.  The latest version can also be found here on Google docs.

If you have a previous version installed then close nanDECK, make sure to back up your cards.csv and card_portraits / card_output folders, then copy-paste the contents of the zip into your existing installation folder.

Change Log:

• Fixing an issue where modifier type/subtype wasn't displaying properly
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:31:08 PM by TelTura »
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

April 28, 2022, 03:57:16 PM
Reply #106

whitewolfjm

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2022, 03:57:16 PM »
I had posted this in a different thread and realized I should probably post it here instead:

Loving this application, and really loving the full art card template.  A request for that if I may.  Would it be possible to either put a stroke color on the text and icons for the full art cards or maybe a light semi-opaque box on the game text area?  this would make game text much more readable on the art.

Thanks again.

April 30, 2022, 12:02:24 AM
Reply #107

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2022, 12:02:24 AM »
I've tried various incarnations doing that, and never found a version that looks good in every case.  I myself just edit each background image to have the proper contrast as needed.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

May 02, 2022, 04:17:54 PM
Reply #108

whitewolfjm

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2022, 04:17:54 PM »
I've tried various incarnations doing that, and never found a version that looks good in every case.  I myself just edit each background image to have the proper contrast as needed.

So when you edit the image, are you just editing where the text will go or do you adjust contrast for the whole image?  If just where the text will go, can you give me the locations for the game text area on the image? (assuming a full portrait image)

May 02, 2022, 04:47:12 PM
Reply #109

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2022, 04:47:12 PM »
Well, I end up doing contrast work for the whole image (alongside color correction etc), but what I'm talking about involves spot-fixing wherever the text goes. There isn't a specific area I can give you, because it's down to adjusting where the specific text ends up landing. See this Google drive folder for examples of what I'm talking about: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KRDWvkSQe67CEzqwhWrWg9ndiR_0wY25

May 12, 2022, 06:52:57 AM
Reply #110

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2022, 06:52:57 AM »
Question: The generator comes with both a cards.csv and cards.ods. What purpose does the ods serve?

May 12, 2022, 11:15:23 AM
Reply #111

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2022, 11:15:23 AM »
The tutorial video explains this. Basically, csv files have zero formatting information, including column width. If you want to have a usable workspace that preserves your formatting etc, you'll need to use an ods or xlsx file, and export to csv.

However I don't use that method anymore. Instead I use the Google sheet method, which nandeck supports, and then I don't need to juggle different files. That method is detailed in the documentation pdf.

May 12, 2022, 11:41:15 AM
Reply #112

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2022, 11:41:15 AM »
Okay, thanks. I just use xlsx so I haven't noticed anything.

June 01, 2022, 06:45:36 AM
Reply #113

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2022, 06:45:36 AM »
This might be a question more about nanDECK than the generator, I don't know. Is it possible to print the cards at half or third (or anything other than 1x) times size? I'm trying to print out a bunch, not to play with, but rather to just fit as many cards on one page while still being readable (so like 4x4 or 4x5 instead of 3x3). Anybody have any idea on how to do this?

July 19, 2022, 03:35:30 PM
Reply #114

Crainiac (The set 20 project)

• Information Offline
  • Orc
  • My favorite film is LOTR ROTK
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2022, 03:35:30 PM »
Hey, I was trying to make a card in nandeck but it wasn't working. I couldn't get my images  to show up. I tried using the templates and it didn't work either. I also couldn't get the customized strength vitality and site number. I read through the PDF but I still couldn't figure it out.
The age of man is over, The time of the orc has come...

July 19, 2022, 03:59:07 PM
Reply #115

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2022, 03:59:07 PM »
This could be something different, but if you only have one card in the spreadsheet it doesn't work for some reason.

July 19, 2022, 05:16:29 PM
Reply #116

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2022, 05:16:29 PM »
This might be a question more about nanDECK than the generator, I don't know. Is it possible to print the cards at half or third (or anything other than 1x) times size? I'm trying to print out a bunch, not to play with, but rather to just fit as many cards on one page while still being readable (so like 4x4 or 4x5 instead of 3x3). Anybody have any idea on how to do this?

There's not really a way to do this with nandeck (or at least, not with the LOTR script). You'll just have to manually resize the images, tho this can be automated with Gimp or python or what have you.

July 19, 2022, 05:30:03 PM
Reply #117

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2022, 05:30:03 PM »
Hey, I was trying to make a card in nandeck but it wasn't working. I couldn't get my images  to show up. I tried using the templates and it didn't work either. I also couldn't get the customized strength vitality and site number. I read through the PDF but I still couldn't figure it out.

Alright, so, pro tip: "doesn't work" is incredibly vague, and I'd advise just never using it as a phrase when it comes to tech stuff . When you download the card generator and run it by itself there are two cards in the example csv: when you right-click the "validate deck" button, does it produce those two examples, or does it make flat black cards, or does spit out an error in the bottom and produce nothing but white in the card preview area?

If that works, then can you modify cards.csv to make the example card different? Different text, different stats, different templates, whatever. If you're able to modify the example cards, then you should be able to add new cards no problem. James is right in that there is a bug where 1 card doesn't work for some reason, so I would leave the example cards in cards.csv until you have 2 or more of your own.

There's a video here that demonstrates how to use the script, and it might be useful to see it in action to see if there's any steps you're missing: https://youtu.be/aK5_3jEAQOg

July 23, 2022, 06:16:45 PM
Reply #118

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2022, 06:16:45 PM »
I've noticed that the cards generated by this thing have a slight shadow under the twilight cost text, whereas there is no such thing on the official cards (Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer). Is there a way to disable this, so as to make cards as close to pixel perfect as possible? I can respond with a screen shot of said shadow if necessary.

July 24, 2022, 07:42:31 PM
Reply #119

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2022, 07:42:31 PM »
Pixel-perfect isn't gonna happen; there are at least 3 different eras of card that the generator averages between, meaning that it no longer produces a 1:1 image that matches any one of them.  It DID match movie era pretty darn closely early on, but after being met with the differences I decided to pick and choose whatever standards maximized card text area.

The twilight shadow in this case is actually for improved visibility; it's not so big a deal on the printed cards (which of course was Decipher's main concern), but on digital screens the contrast is not very good.  That said, if you truly want to be a purist in this area (and are okay not being a purist in things like game text margin), then you can apply a hack by editing around line 350:

Change each of those "0.5%" to a "0%", and each of the "0.03" to a "0".  I would encourage you to do a before/after comparison and decide if it is actually an improvement.  (Also note that this will affect the drop shadow on non-twilight numbers such as Strength, Vitality, etc.  If you want to keep those, alter the lines that reference "twilight" and keep the ones that reference "numbers").

(Also, you'll need to reapply this change any time there's an update, just be advised.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 07:45:16 PM by TelTura »