LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Multiple Deck Requests  (Read 3148 times)

July 09, 2020, 09:51:23 PM
Read 3148 times

Smog

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
    • Tolkien Gateway
Multiple Deck Requests
« on: July 09, 2020, 09:51:23 PM »
Hey there,

So what I am looking for is 6-8 well-tested and balanced decklists. My friends are wanting to learning the game (and thus I'm coming back to it for the first time in a decade), and what we tend to do is create a bunch of decks that we communally share and swap between.

Ideally the decks would all be fairly well balanced and utilize (mostly) different fellowship/shadow sides (i.e. each of them to be as different as possible). Obviously some staples might be in multiple decks, but ideally each would be as thematically unique as possible.

So if there are a bunch (6+ ideally) of tried and true decks in the format that folks could provide the lists for, I would greatly appreciate it. Once I get back in the swing of the game, I'll be joining everyone online as well.

Thanks!

July 09, 2020, 10:14:20 PM
Reply #1

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
Re: Multiple Deck Requests
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 10:14:20 PM »
I mean, this is essentially what the starters are for. In addition, they'll slowly add mechanics the later a block you go.

https://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/starter_pack

If you stick to a block (FOTR, MOM, and ROTEL for fellowship block) that's 6 starters right there.
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

July 09, 2020, 10:18:35 PM
Reply #2

Smog

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
    • Tolkien Gateway
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 10:18:35 PM »
I mean, this is essentially what the starters are for. In addition, they'll slowly add mechanics the later a block you go.

https://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/starter_pack

If you stick to a block (FOTR, MOM, and ROTEL for fellowship block) that's 6 starters right there.

Appreciated! But we're not looking for starters. We're a group of fairly competitive and competent ccg players. I'm specifically looking for a bunch of competitive meta decks that are diverse and also fun to play. I assumed there were quite a few well-established decks by this point, and thought it could save me quite a bit of time over refamiliarizing myself with the card pool and building all of them myself.

July 09, 2020, 11:45:23 PM
Reply #3

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 11:45:23 PM »
The meta is pretty stagnant, since until recently there haven't been any groups willing to issue errata or card bans (and the group that is up is still in its infancy and hasn't issued any just yet).  This means that for some formats it's trivially easy to win if all you want to do is make a completely broken infinite loop deck that won't win you any friends.  People avoid using them simply because it's a small enough community that you'll find yourself without opponents if you do that too much, so things are a bit more casual in constructed than one would like.

The base Sealed decks might get you something closer to what you want.  9 decks used in 3 series, where it's intended that you get to pick one deck per series as a base and add in the cards from your boosters.  They might be a bit, hmm, foundational since they're intended to be modified with whatever boosters you get, but there's a decent variety of strategies available and they're not *quite* as simple as starters. They're full-sized compared to the starters, too.

See if that's more your speed, tho it's Movie block only: http://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/sealed-movie
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 11:56:49 PM by TelTura »
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

July 10, 2020, 06:50:33 AM
Reply #4

Smog

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
    • Tolkien Gateway
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 06:50:33 AM »
If the Movie format meta is that stale and there aren't a bunch of competitive decklists, is there a different homebrew/community format that would be better for what I'm trying to do (ideally restricted to sets 1-10)?

July 10, 2020, 01:48:17 PM
Reply #5

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 01:48:17 PM »
Sorry dude, movie is the homebrew. I think the more competitive people play sealed or draft.

Giving the community a shot in the arm so it can have a healthy meta again is one of the goals of the Player's Council, but we're just barely holding our first event this Saturday. In the coming months we'll start issuing errata and targeting broken combos, but until such a structure is in place, it's a pretty casual environment.

July 10, 2020, 02:02:38 PM
Reply #6

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 02:02:38 PM »
Will you be playing with your friends online or with physical cards? Wondering if access to rares etc. is a limitation.

I'd agree with Teltura that there isn't that level of variety in the standard formats at the moment. I have a bunch of decks I use to play with a friend which are designed to play against one another, would that be of any use to you? They use cards from all sets however. I'd like to think that they're reasonably fun and balanced, although I don't get as much time to playtest as I would like.
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 10, 2020, 02:41:10 PM
Reply #7

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 02:41:10 PM »
I disagree with TelTura, but I don't play Movie much so I could just be out of touch. Notable FP sides are Elvents, Archery, Dwarves, Gondor Knights, Hobbits, Rainbow Wounding, Rohan, and Gandalf deck filters with Saved from the Fire. For Shadow sides, Besiegers, Corsairs, Threat Nazgul, Nazgul Corruption, and Ninja Gollum stand out the most, but you can be successful with Morgul Orc wounding, Southrons, Wargs (underrated IMO, can shut down some of the top FP sides but gets shredded by Dwarves), Sauron Threat Orcs, Moria Swarm, and Dunland.

I'm sure there are some decks I missed, but those are the strategies that come to mind. Stale? Sure, in that these have been the top strategies for 10+ years. But I don't think you can say players are limited to only a handful of decks. I'll try to find some decklists over the next few days that cover some of these. In the meantime, I'd take Dictionary's lists and make them Movie legal -- I'll bet they're solid options.

July 10, 2020, 04:00:59 PM
Reply #8

Smog

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
    • Tolkien Gateway
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 04:00:59 PM »
Sorry dude, movie is the homebrew. I think the more competitive people play sealed or draft.

Giving the community a shot in the arm so it can have a healthy meta again is one of the goals of the Player's Council, but we're just barely holding our first event this Saturday. In the coming months we'll start issuing errata and targeting broken combos, but until such a structure is in place, it's a pretty casual environment.

Oh, #$&*@!. I thought Movie was like an official format. It's been so long since I played, I thought I remembered there being a sets 1-10 format, and since this board has the highest amount of posts/activity, I figured this was what most people were playing now-a-days. I look forward to whatever you guys come up with; thanks for the info!

Will you be playing with your friends online or with physical cards? Wondering if access to rares etc. is a limitation.

I'd agree with Teltura that there isn't that level of variety in the standard formats at the moment. I have a bunch of decks I use to play with a friend which are designed to play against one another, would that be of any use to you? They use cards from all sets however. I'd like to think that they're reasonably fun and balanced, although I don't get as much time to playtest as I would like.

Access to rares isn't a limitation. Since we're just playing communally between us we'll be proxying the decks. We were wanting to avoid anything past Reflections since Shadows is what lead us to quitting, but I'd still love to see the lists. Maybe with all the sets I'll find the format more fun than I did when Shadows launched. Thanks a ton for anything you're willing to provide!

I disagree with TelTura, but I don't play Movie much so I could just be out of touch. Notable FP sides are Elvents, Archery, Dwarves, Gondor Knights, Hobbits, Rainbow Wounding, Rohan, and Gandalf deck filters with Saved from the Fire. For Shadow sides, Besiegers, Corsairs, Threat Nazgul, Nazgul Corruption, and Ninja Gollum stand out the most, but you can be successful with Morgul Orc wounding, Southrons, Wargs (underrated IMO, can shut down some of the top FP sides but gets shredded by Dwarves), Sauron Threat Orcs, Moria Swarm, and Dunland.

I'm sure there are some decks I missed, but those are the strategies that come to mind. Stale? Sure, in that these have been the top strategies for 10+ years. But I don't think you can say players are limited to only a handful of decks. I'll try to find some decklists over the next few days that cover some of these. In the meantime, I'd take Dictionary's lists and make them Movie legal -- I'll bet they're solid options.

I'd greatly appreciate any lists you could find. Thanks a bunch!

July 11, 2020, 03:26:55 AM
Reply #9

Dictionary

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
  • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 11, 2020, 08:59:19 AM
Reply #10

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 08:59:19 AM »
For what it's worth, Movie is an official tournament. Decipher held Movie Block tournaments even after Fellowship Block rotated out of Standard play. One thing that's always been fuzzy to me is whether or not the Weta promos were legal in those.

July 11, 2020, 10:55:51 AM
Reply #11

Shelobplayer

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 10:55:51 AM »
I'd look past shadows. I remember at its launch, I hated the new unified shadow cultures and new sites as well, and it is clearly a different game past shadows, but there is certainly a draw for Standard and Expanded formats as well as for Movie block or various older formats.

Standard and Expanded if you are playing the meta involve more strategic decisions, both during deckbuilding and in play (well, mostly it's about sitepath manipulation, and the timing of Mount Doom).

Obviously movie and block formats have their own charm as well, they give you back the feeling of story better, in comparison (and this is just my opinion), Standard and Expanded have more of the competitive TCG/CCG feeling. If you are an MTG (commander in particular) player I'd say movie and block is more like classic commander while expanded and standard are more like competitive duel commander.

I'd definitely avoid open.

A super fun format, that I haven't had the chance to play in ages is Highlander.

July 12, 2020, 03:00:54 PM
Reply #12

Smog

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
    • Tolkien Gateway
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 03:00:54 PM »
Here you go!
https://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums/index.php?topic=11731.msg96722;topicseen#msg96722

Thanks a ton for the lists! But yikes, is Bilbo really that dominant in this format?

July 12, 2020, 03:18:41 PM
Reply #13

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 03:18:41 PM »
I was *going* to say that Consorting With Wizards is incredible defense for a ring-bearer (as this was released back when the only Bilbos that existed were allies), not to mention being a Tale so Bearer of Things Burgled can actually pull it on himself whenever he wants, but....none of those decks use it, lol.  Dunno why they wouldn't squeeze a single copy in for what it gets you.

Edit: Maybe it's because Grond can discard it without any tokens?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:47:44 PM by TelTura »

July 12, 2020, 04:46:25 PM
Reply #14

Smog

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
    • Tolkien Gateway
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 04:46:25 PM »
I was *going* to say that Consorting With Wizards is incredible defense for a ring-bearer (as this was released back when the only Bilbos that existed were allies), not to mention being a Tale so Bearer of Things Burgled can actually pull it on himself whenever he wants, but....none of those decks use it, lol.  Dunno why they wouldn't squeeze a single copy in for what it gets you.

Edit: Maybe it's because Grond can discard it without any tokens?

I've admittedly been gone from the game for a long time, but a ringbearer being able to put that on seems real silly.