LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #12  (Read 2741 times)

July 11, 2020, 10:45:26 PM
Read 2741 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #12
« on: July 11, 2020, 10:45:26 PM »
    Welcome to Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs!

Each week I'll post the collector's information for one of the cards in the set's card-list.

Contestants are free to create whatever card they see fit for that slot in the card-list, keeping in mind the surrounding cards. As the contest progresses, the card-list will become more and more defined, guiding the contestants' choices.

The theme of our set is Lairs! You're free to interpret this however you want.

Not every card has to fit the theme, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when coming up with entries.

Each week a poll will go up for the previous week's entries. Simply vote for one you like the most. In the event of a tie, I'll let a random result generator make the decision - but each of the tied cards will appear in the final set card list.

On to Stuff!

Last week's winner...
    Inspire scores again with Southern Stranger! Bill Ferny is no longer the only [Wraith] Man!  8-)

Last week's entries to pick from for Card #23...

Quote from: Entry #1
    [1] •Pippin, Co-Conspirator [Shire]
    Companion • Hobbit
    Strength: 3
    Vitality: 4
    Signet: Frodo
    Each time you shuffle your hand into your deck, you may draw 3 cards.

Quote from: Entry #2
    [1] Barrow-downs
    Site
    Fellowship or Shadow: Spot a companion to play a Nazgul or Wraith from your discard pile; its twilight cost is -1 for each wound on that companion.

Designer's Notes: We can't have a theme of Lairs and neglect sites!  I feel like all of the empty chunk here is an obvious opportunity. 
    This card obviously started as just a shadow-based site, but then figured the flavor actually works for both sides, so why not.

Quote from: Entry #3
    [2] The Black Gate
    Site
    While the Fellowship is at The Black Gate, each Orc and Man is strength +2.

Designer's notes:
    The card is meant to give Freeps men and Shadow men strength.

Quote from: Entry #4
    [8-K] Shelob's Lair [8]
    Site
    Lair. While any player spots Shelob and 4 threats (or 8 burdens), only Ring-bound companions may skirmish here.
    --->

Designer's notes:
    I realize it should be "Mountain. Underground." but I don't want Balrogs showing up here.

This week's contest is...
    Card #1!

Your abundance of options:

• A [Ring] card
    • A [Dunland] card (before Stronghold of the Adorn River)

If you choose to go after a One Ring card, I'd strongly suggest spending some time iterating your design over the course of this week. Rings are tricksy!

Closing date: July 18th! Good luck!

:cheers: Lairs Card List  :cheers:
    Number - Name - (Culture • Type) - Contestant - Week it won
    1. IN CREATION THIS WEEK
    2. •Stronghold of the Adorn River ([Dunland] • Possession) - Durin's Heir - 3
    3. •Balin, Lord of Moria ([Dwarven] • Ally) - menace64 - 8
    5. Sméagol Lied ([Gollum] • Event) - SGollum - 4
    6. Worse Than Orcs ([Gollum] • Event) - menace64 - 9
    8. Sheltered Hollow ([Gondor] • Condition) - TelTura - 6
    14. •Wrested Kingdom ([Moria] • Condition) - menace64 - 1
    16. •Úlairë Attëa, Khamûl ([Raider] • Minion) - SGollum - 7
    18. Southern Stranger ([Wraith] • Minion) - Inspire - 10
    20. •Bag End Hearth ([Shire] • Condition) - Inspire - 2
    21. •Merry, Conspirator ([Shire] • Companion) - Inspire - 5
    23. SUBJECT OF THIS WEEK'S VOTE

The Misadventure Deck (cards that lost due to tied-decision but will appear in final cardlist! Maybe?)
    26. •Durin's Axe, Omen of Fortune
    27. From Lowest Dungeon to Highest Peak
    28. Orkish Whip
    29. •Mountains of Shadow[/list]

July 11, 2020, 11:25:08 PM
    Reply #1

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod

July 12, 2020, 08:33:48 AM
    Reply #2

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    Re: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #12
    « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:33:48 AM »
    [Ring]The One Ring, Fate of All Middle-earth
    Strength +1
    Each companion whose race or culture you cannot spot is twilight cost -1.
    Maneuver or Skirmish: Wear The One Ring until the regroup phase.
    While wearing The One Ring, each time the Ring-bearer is about to take a wound, add [1] and a burden instead.
    "'...it is for us who still dwell here to deal with it.'"

A new One Ring to support multi-culture decks; with this you can finally start otherwise impossible companions such as Powerful Guide or Treebeard + Merry/Pippin (or combos, like [3] Théoden + [3] Boromir; or [2] Gimli + [2] Legolas + [3] Faramir; or [4] Aragorn/Gandalf + [2] Legolas/Gimli/Eowyn).

As a more versatile version of The Ruling Ring (with the sole advantage of potentially working at archery too) with no resistance/vitality bonuses, works better on the hand/pocket of someone with big base resistance and no burden/wound penalty, nor monoculture dependencies. A Hobbit.
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:55:19 PM by Durin's Heir »
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

July 12, 2020, 02:08:50 PM
    Reply #3

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    « Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 02:08:50 PM »
    Didn't notice it before, but the graphic version of Durin's Axe is a Possession, while it should be an Artifact.
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

July 12, 2020, 02:57:45 PM
    Reply #4

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 02:57:45 PM »
    Didn't notice it before, but the graphic version of Durin's Axe is a Possession, while it should be an Artifact.

My bad! We didn't have the artifact templates prepared when I made the album. I have updated it!

July 13, 2020, 06:42:02 AM
    Reply #5

SGollum

• Information Offline
    • Uruk-hai
    • The Smeags
    « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 06:42:02 AM »
    [Ring]The One Ring, Fate of All Middle-Earth
    Strength +1
    Each companion whose race or culture you cannot spot is twilight cost -1.
    Maneuver or Skirmish: Wear The One Ring until the regroup phase.
    While wearing The One Ring, each time the Ring-bearer is about to take a wound, add [1] and a burden instead.
    "'...it is for us who still dwell here to deal with it.'"

A Ring to support multi-culture decks, via mighty starting fellowships. Without resistance/vitality bonuses, works better on the hand/neck/pocket of someone with big base resistance and no burden/wound penalty (unlike Gimli/Gandalf/Boromir/Faramir/Isildur), nor monoculture dependencies (unlike Galadriel/Sméagol). A Hobbit.

So you can finally start a cost [4] Gandalf (with a skill, unlike Leader of Men) along with a cost [2] companion. Or Treebeard + Merry or Pippin. Or a Dwarf, an Elf and any son of Denethor. Or...

This ring would work during starting Fellowship. I would retext and make it only apply during the fellowship phase.
    Everything Gollum says is automatically the best LOTR qoutes.

July 13, 2020, 09:14:45 AM
    Reply #6

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 09:14:45 AM »
    This ring would work during starting Fellowship. I would retext and make it only apply during the fellowship phase.
    No, that's precisely the point of this Ring, to allow more interesting Starting Fellowships to happen without making it overpowered. It'd do nothing for the 2 already available 9-comps starting fellowships (Rangers and In the Bloom of Health Ent Swarm), which are mono or bi-cultural decks. The effect also wears off very easily: once per culture/race, and that's it.

The OP potential would be in enhancing monoculture decks, or allowing big stats ARBs to carry the Ring with ease, or not wearing out. But this Ring is slightly better than The Ruling Ring, which is (moderately) good only in the pocket/finger of Hobbits.
    « Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 09:54:58 AM by Durin's Heir »

July 13, 2020, 12:07:39 PM
    Reply #7

Dictionary

• Information Offline
    • Marksman
    • Duplicitous Deckbuilder
    « Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 12:07:39 PM »
    [2] Burned Village [Dunland]
    Condition • Support Area
    To play, spot 2 [Dunland] Men.
    While you can spot a [Dunland] minion or 6 companions, characters cannot heal.

This was idea of mine from a while back.
    Visit LOTR TCG wiki for strategy articles and extra card details, contributed by various community members. All set 1 cards finished.

July 14, 2020, 01:59:03 PM
    Reply #8

azogsbane

• Information Offline
    • Tracker
    « Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 01:59:03 PM »
    [4] Tall Ruffian [Dunland]
    Minion • Man
    Strength: 11
    Vitality: 1
    Site: 3
    While you control site 1, each hobbit is strength -1 (to a minimum of 2).
    Each time a companion loses a skirmish involving this minion, you may spot a [Dunland] Man stacked on a condition or a site you control to stack that companion there also. The Free Peoples player may discard three possessions from companions to prevent this.
    "'But it's these Men, Sam, the Chief's Men. He sends them round everywhere, and if any of us small folk stand up for our rights, they drag him off to the Lockholes.'"

July 14, 2020, 03:13:32 PM
    Reply #9

Legion

• Information Offline
    • Horseman
    « Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 03:13:32 PM »
    It's a nice card, but it's after Stronghold in the alphabet.

[1] Blood Oath [Dunland]
    Event • Maneuver
    Spot Saruman and discard a [Dunland] man to make each [Dunland] Man strength +2 and fierce until the regroup phase.
    "Swear it"

Unlike my previous attempt which was hideously weak, this one lets you discard Freca (not kill) for a bonus. You need Saruman, Freca and another [Dunland] Man as well as this event, so I believe it doesn't need to cost more. I would play this card in my [Dunland] site control deck, but only 1 or 2, so I don't think it too strong or weak.

July 14, 2020, 06:41:08 PM
    Reply #10

azogsbane

• Information Offline
    • Tracker
    « Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 06:41:08 PM »
    It's a nice card, but it's after Stronghold in the alphabet.

Wow! How did I miss that?

Fixed:

[4] Ruffian [Dunland]
    Minion • Man
    Strength: 11
    While you control site 1, each hobbit is strength -1 (to a minimum of 2).
    Each time a companion loses a skirmish involving this minion, you may spot a [Dunland] Man stacked on a condition or a site you control to stack that companion there also. The Free Peoples player may discard three possessions from companions to prevent this.
    "'But it's these Men, Sam, the Chief's Men. He sends them round everywhere, and if any of us small folk stand up for our rights, they drag him off to the Lockholes.'"

July 14, 2020, 09:32:00 PM
    Reply #11

TelTura

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Administrator
      • Player's Council Discord
    « Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 09:32:00 PM »
    [Ring] •The One Ring, Fell Repository of Power
    Resistance: -2
    Each time bearer is exerted, wounded, or a burden is added, put on the One Ring until the regroup phase.
    While wearing The One Ring, bearer is strength +1 per burden you can spot.
    While wearing The One Ring, each time bearer is about to take a wound, add a burden and exert a companion instead.
    "...the Ring's power grew, and it became more fell, untameable save by some mighty will."

This represents the Ring as it grew close to Mordor, Sauron's Lair, but is also a version of the Ring that taps into the temptation of using its power.  I feel like most versions of the Ring don't really show how tempting it is to use it; players should feel like they want burdens, and also feel (falsely) like maybe they can handle it; how hard could it be to just have 2 or 3 burdens?  Or maybe 5?  Well, 6 isn't corrupted, and just think of how much more helpful it will be in combat...

Also, is it cheating to include an image in the submission...?  Well here it is anyway.
    Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

July 15, 2020, 07:36:22 PM
    Reply #12

Inspire

• Information Offline
    • Scout
    « Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 07:36:22 PM »
    [3] Hillman Regular [Dunland]
    Minion • Man
    Strength: 7
    When you play this minion, you may reveal a [Dunland] condition, [Dunland] possession, or non-unique [Dunland] minion from your discard pile. This minion gains the game text of that card until the end of the turn. 
    "We were driven back yesterday over the Isen with great loss; many perished at the crossing."

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:13:59 PM by Inspire »

July 18, 2020, 09:24:40 PM
    Reply #13

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 09:24:40 PM »
    [3] Adorn Reclaimer [Dunland]
    Minion • Man
    Strength: 9
    Site Number: 3
    While this minion is stacked on a [Dunland] card, each [Dunland] Man is strength +1.
    Response: If this minion is stacked on a card and a [Dunland] Man is about to take a wound, play this minion as if played from hand to prevent that wound.
    "'They will not give way now for dusk or dawn...'"

I wanted to write a card to synergize off of Stronghold of the Adorn River, while also providing additional utility to the [Dunland] culture. The strategy here would be to ensure Adorn Reclaimer survives into the regroup phase, then stack him on the Stronghold. Doing so will give you a blanket +1 strength boost to your other Dunlendings, while also providing the Dunland player an aggressive wound-prevention option.