LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #14  (Read 1631 times)

July 25, 2020, 11:19:11 PM
Read 1631 times

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #14
« on: July 25, 2020, 11:19:11 PM »
    Welcome to Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs!

Each week I'll post the collector's information for one of the cards in the set's card-list.

Contestants are free to create whatever card they see fit for that slot in the card-list, keeping in mind the surrounding cards. As the contest progresses, the card-list will become more and more defined, guiding the contestants' choices.

The theme of our set is Lairs! You're free to interpret this however you want.

Not every card has to fit the theme, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when coming up with entries.

Each week a poll will go up for the previous week's entries. Simply vote for one you like the most. In the event of a tie, I'll let a random result generator make the decision - but each of the tied cards will appear in the final set card list.

On to Stuff!

Last week's winner...
    Dictionary scores Card #1 with Burned Village:twisted:

Last week's entries to pick from for Card #11...

Quote from: Entry #1
    [4] •Pallando Deceived, Betrayer to the Free Peoples [Isengard]
    Minion • Wizard
    Strength 10  Vitality 4  Site 5
    To play, spot a Wizard or discard an [Isengard] condition.
    Each Wizard is strength +2 and fierce.
    Skirmish: Discard an [Isengard] condition to heal a Wizard or make him strength +2.
    "Of the Blue little was known in the West... for they passed into the East with Curunír."

Designer's Notes: A minion version of the [Isengard] condition-that-turns-into-minion. The playing cost allows him to discard the condition version just before entering the game in order to avoid the uniqueness exclusion (like the [Gandalf] Palantir of Orthanc does). The bonus stacks with the Throne of Isengard (and like it, pumps Gandalf and Radagast too). The skirmish skill can turn your [Isengard] conditions into ammo for Wizards (allowing Saruman's Ambition to finally pump Saruman) or into vitality for exertion-fueled skills (or to avoid death).

Quote from: Entry #2
    [2] •Cannot Get Out [Moria]
    Condition • Support Area
    When you play this condition, you may discard another [Moria] condition to make the move limit for this turn -1.
    While at an underground site, the Free Peoples player must exert a companion or discard 2 cards from hand to assign a [Moria] minion to a skirmish. Discard this condition during the regroup phase.
    "'They have taken the bridge and the Second Hall...We cannot get out. A shadow moves in the dark.'"

Quote from: Entry #3
    [5] •Isengard Warden [Isengard]
    Minion • Orc
    Strength: 10
    Vitality: 4
    Site: 4
    Skirmish: Exert an [Isengard] Orc to cancel a skirmish involving that [Isengard] Orc. The Free Peoples player may exert a companion to prevent this.
    "Some time ago I began to wonder how Orcs dared to pass through my woods so freely..."

Quote from: Entry #4
    [1] Smoke From Isengard [Isengard]
    Condition • Site
    Weather. To play, exert an [Isengard] minion. Plays on a site you control. Limit 1 per site.
    For each forest site in the fellowship's current region, each unbound companion is strength -1 (-2 if an Ent). Discard this condition if this site is liberated.
    "'He and his foul folk are making havoc now.'"

Designer's Notes: This week really got away from me, but here's my entry. There's some synergy between this card and No Ordinary Storm, but really I just wrote this to feel like a Fellowship block weather card but for the Towers environment since it relies on site control to work. Since that requires an extra step before it becomes useful, I've tried to give it a bit more "oomph" than many of the weather conditions already out there.

Quote from: Entry #5
    [2] Isengard Warrens [Isengard]
    Condition • Support Area
    To play, spot 3 Orcs (or Saruman).
    Each time a companion is wounded, you may exert or discard an [Isengard] Orc to add an [Isengard] token here.
    Assignment: Remove 3 [Isengard] tokens here to play an Orc from your discard pile and assign it to a companion (except the Ring-bearer).
    "Beyond the fire he saw swarming black figures; there seemed to be hundreds of orcs."

Designer's notes: Something quick that has to do with orcs, not just those from Isengard, tho it requires those from Isengard to have much use. 

This week's contest is...
    Card #22!

Our little set is half way completed! It's all down hill from here! :uh-huh:

• A [Shire] card (after Merry, Conspirator)
    • An [Uruk] card
    • A Site card (before The Black Gate)

Closing date: August 1st! Good luck!

:cheers: Lairs Card List  :cheers:
    Number - Name - (Culture • Type) - Contestant - Week it won
    1. Burned Village ([Dunland] • Condition] - Dictionary - 12
    2. •Stronghold of the Adorn River ([Dunland] • Possession) - Durin's Heir - 3
    3. •Balin, Lord of Moria ([Dwarven] • Ally) - menace64 - 8
    5. Sméagol Lied ([Gollum] • Event) - SGollum - 4
    6. Worse Than Orcs ([Gollum] • Event) - menace64 - 9
    8. Sheltered Hollow ([Gondor] • Condition) - TelTura - 6
    11. SUBJECT OF THIS WEEK'S VOTE
    14. •Wrested Kingdom ([Moria] • Condition) - menace64 - 1
    16. •Úlairë Attëa, Khamûl ([Raider] • Minion) - SGollum - 7
    18. Southern Stranger ([Wraith] • Minion) - Inspire - 10
    20. •Bag End Hearth ([Shire] • Condition) - Inspire - 2
    21. •Merry, Conspirator ([Shire] • Companion) - Inspire - 5
    22. IN CREATION THIS WEEK
    23. The Black Gate (Site) - SGollum - 11

The Misadventure Deck (cards that lost due to tied-decision but will appear in final cardlist! Maybe?)
    26. •Durin's Axe, Omen of Fortune
    27. From Lowest Dungeon to Highest Peak
    28. Orkish Whip
    29. •Mountains of Shadow[/list]

July 25, 2020, 11:39:03 PM
    Reply #1

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    Re: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #14
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 11:39:03 PM »
    Quote from: Durin's Heir
    It's important to point out that "the" and "a" were ommited by Decipher when sorting alphabetically (see 11S256 The Prancing Pony, before 11S257 Rohan Uplands, or 2R52 The Balrog, Flame of Udun before 2R53 Cave Troll's Chain), so it's really "A Site card (before "Black Gate")." Which shrinks the options a lot.

Truth!  :gp:

Aaahhh I accidentally edited your post, DH instead of replying to it.  #-o What have I done?!?!?
    « Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 11:53:40 PM by menace64 »
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

July 25, 2020, 11:54:39 PM
    Reply #2

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 11:54:39 PM »
    I didn't even realize I could edit someone else's post. This is a power best left unused  :suspect:

July 25, 2020, 11:57:23 PM
    Reply #3

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 11:57:23 PM »
    Wow! ROFLMAO! Leave it that way.

It's something that Kralik might find very interesting, if not a bit worrisome.

EDIT: Just realized, you can because you're a Mod. I tried to do the same in threads I started but cannot, since I don't have a mountain, and I'm not a king, which makes me nobody really. So Kralik will probably find it's ok.
    « Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:08:06 AM by Durin's Heir »
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”  - Malcolm X

July 26, 2020, 07:31:05 AM
    Reply #4

Legion

• Information Offline
    • Horseman
    « Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 07:31:05 AM »
    I was surprised my Pippin got no votes last time, but here we go again:

[1] •Pippin, Co-Conspirator [Shire]
    Companion • Hobbit
    Each time you shuffle your hand into your deck you may draw 3 cards.

July 27, 2020, 09:29:20 AM
    Reply #5

menace64

• Information Offline
    • Knight
    • Global Mod
    « Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 09:29:20 AM »
    [1] Shirriff [Shire]
    Ally • Home 1 • Hobbit
    Strength: 2
    Vitality: 2
    While any Shadow player controls a site, add [1] each time a minion is played.
    Response: If a Hobbit ally whose home site is 1 is about to exert, exert this ally to place no token for that exertion.
    "'What can I do? You know how I went for a Shirriff seven years ago, before any of this began.'"

July 27, 2020, 12:52:53 PM
    Reply #6

azogsbane

• Information Offline
    • Tracker
    « Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 12:52:53 PM »
    [3] Though Here at Journey's End I Lie [Shire]
    Event • Response
    If Sam wins a skirmish at any site 7 or higher, spot X burdens to take up to X [Shire] events into hand from your discard pile. Until the end of the turn, burdens, threats, and cards in the dead pile may not be spotted and special abilities of Shadow conditions may not be used.
    "...In darkness buried deep,...Above all shadows rides the Sun / And Stars forever dwell."
    « Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:59:41 AM by azogsbane »

August 01, 2020, 11:52:30 AM
    Reply #7

Inspire

• Information Offline
    • Scout
    « Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »
    [1] •Pippin, Out of the Bog and Briar [Shire]
    Companion • Hobbit
    Strength: 3
    Vitality: 4
    Signet: Frodo
    Fellowship: Draw a card. Each opponent may add [2] or draw a card.
    "‘Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones. At all costs we must keep you away from the Golden Perch.'"

August 01, 2020, 02:06:26 PM
    Reply #8

Durin's Heir

• Information Offline
    • Ranger
    • Alex Jones was right
    « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 02:06:26 PM »
    [1] The Fires of Industry [Uruk]
    Possession • Support Area
    [Isengard] and [Uruk] minions may bear any weapon for which their race or card type is eligible (regardless of culture).
    Shadow: Spot your Wizard, [Isengard] Orc or [Isengard] Man and remove [1] to play a weapon from your draw deck or discard pile.
    "'Forests will fall. A new order will rise.'"

Did you ever wish to play those fancy [Uruk] weapons Decipher made after Set 10 on your classic [Isengard] Uruks? Or have your [Isengard] Men wield, well, something to help them in skirmish (apart from Banner of Isengard)? Saruman's weapon industry can supply for that demand, and use that technology to turn Orthanc into the dominating power.

Some interesting combos: Mordor Scimitar on Unferth & Co (for +3 str and twice the exertions); Isengard Siege Bow (any [Isengard] minion) / Spear of the White Hand (Uruks only) for exertion-fueled skills (Saruman SotE, Uruk Crossbowman et al, Orthanc Champion...); Saruman BT + Staff with Orc Spear for [6] / Mordor Scimitar for [9] from deck/discard; Uruk Axe on any Uruk for +3 str; Berserker Torch on Berserk Slayer (though very expensive); Isengard Axe on [Isengard] Orcs (or Orc Spear on [4]+ minions) for free from deck/discard every turn; Moria Axe on [Isengard] Orcs for big skirmish power (but much less regroup wounding).
    « Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 02:47:51 PM by Durin's Heir »