LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: D- and W-rarity cards, LOTRO, and a whole lotta Digital Archeology  (Read 3207 times)

July 31, 2020, 03:56:19 AM
Read 3207 times

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
So!  I've just had a heck of an evening discussing the quirks of the set 0 D-rarity cards, and I think I've found some tidbits that some people here may find interesting (and, if any of you remember any details of how LOTRO worked, maybe you can even help finish the story!  There are still holes even now...).

To set our scene, first take a moment to take a look at the bottom quarter of the cards listed at set 0 on the wiki (i.e. everything after 0P129).  There are D-rarity cards and W-rarity cards, as well as a few other odds'n'ends that we'll ignore here.  First, look at the range of D cards, from 0D1 to 0D24:

0D1 - 0D14 are DGMA league cards, issued as league prizes (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  Starting with 0D16, we suddenly have LOTRO-only cards, which were all part of the Triumph and Menace series (which, as far as I can gather, was a randomization mechanic facilitated by the electronic client: at the described trigger, dice were rolled, and if you met a certain target, you got an RNG reward). 

There are a few inconsistencies here:

I've known about the 0D8 conflict for a while (it was an enormous headache when I was setting up a local database; I eventually decided that Troll was a typo for 0D18 and stuck him there instead), but I hadn't really thought about the gaps until tonight.  I hopped on the Facebook group to ask whether 0D15 was supposed to be a physical card (that we just didn't have a scan for), or if it was supposed to be a T/M card that we lost, or if it was supposed to be a buffer between the two lest T/M infect the other cards.

Everyone agreed that 0D14 was the last physical card made in that series.  Someone theorized that 0D15 was where Troll was supposed to go, but as far as typos go I wasn't convinced.  Besides, if Troll was 0D15 and not 0D18, then that just shifted the question: what was 0D18?

Some time ago, someone on the Facebook group released a LOTRO data dump, which included all the game files and, most importantly, the text associated with each card.  I had used this spreadsheet (spliced together with TLHH's own spreadsheet) to create a comprehensive local database, and I poked around in there to try and get answers.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, there is only a single D card in the game client's data as it currently stands today: 0D5: Theodred, Second Marshal of the Mark. At first glance this seems to me like a result of the client not having access to the server, and so only having whatever was in the program's cache the last time the owner ran it.

But then I was reminded that there was more than the text dump!  There were image files, and crucially, each card has its own portrait stored in a folder somewhere.  There might be answers there!

Cards were divided into sets (until set 16, after which someone was super lazy and just started chucking everything into that one folder instead of making a new one for each set).  As I poked around, I found that the LOTRO D cards were in card_images_league:

Success!  There's some information to glean here.  First, my original question was (probably) answered: 0D15 was Gimli, Dwarven Delegate

The other gaps could be similarly surmised: 0D18 was a Gollum card, and 0D19 was Boromir (or at least the portraits used Gollum and Boromir). 0D22 was Easterling-related.

And then beyond that, there are portraits for an 0D25 (which the same portrait as Frodo, Mr. Underhill) and an 0D26, which is a Nazgul.

Considering that 0D16, 0D17, 0D20, 0D21, 0D23, and 0D24 all line up with the images we have in the wiki, I concluded that this was probably a good explanation for what the gaps were supposed to contain. 

But that left us no closer to identifying where, exactly, that Troll is supposed to go. At this point I began to theorize that perhaps 0D8 wasn't a typo at all, and that there was a whole line of 0D1 - 0D14 cards which were lost to the goblins.  For this theory to be correct, it would mean that there were really two D rarities, one meaning DGMA and the other meaning Digital (similarly to how there are two different P rarities, for Premium and Promotional).

As I poked around more, I stumbled on our friend Troll, hiding in card_images_online:

But...wait.  Those are the W-series cards!

So it turns out Troll wasn't conflicting with 0D8 at all...it was supposed to be 0W8!  As far as typos go, I could believe that one. 

I poked around the LOTRO text dump for a bit, trying to shed some more light on this, and finally realized why D cards weren't (for the most part) represented.  In LOTRO, all of the Triumph/Menace series were actually listed as W cards, with plenty more besides!

0W1 - 0W13 here line up with the W cards in the wiki, and 0D16-0D24 are represented as 0W16-0W24, with even more cards not listed in the wiki here.

SO HERE'S WHAT I THINK HAPPENED:

World's Apart (the company that ran LOTRO), either with a Decipher designer or on their own, were tasked with introducing some cards with features that leveraged the unique electronic medium. They come up with Triumph/Menace, and release it one way or another for people to play with, as cards 0D1 - 0D13.

But then someone at Decipher finds out, and, facepalming, explain that the DGMA series already exists!  The D rarity is taken!

So, World's Apart rebrands those digital-only cards with W rarity (named after themselves).  Later when evolving league cards are introduced, they use the same branding, and everything goes smoothly.

My only question is:  how did the old D-branded W cards end up in the wiki?  My running theory is that in the post-Decipher scramble to get everything backed up, someone scooped up images from the Wayback machine that were pre-rebranding and, since they seemed to fit the DGMA card series, put them in place without further questioning it.  But perhaps I'm wrong, and these were actually on Decipher's store page (for some reason), which pushes the question to "why didn't Decipher get their act together", which has a clear historical answer.

Well, I say that's my only question, but there's one more.

...what about Army of Moria?   Where did that come from?

As I dove back into the database to make sense of it, I make a surprising discovery: in the LOTRO dump, Troll is listed as 0W8 and is described exactly as we see in the wiki at 0D8.  However, in the French/Italian/Spanish translations of the title and game text, we see Army of Moria! 

So here's what I surmise:  Army of Moria was the original major Moria card for the Triumph/Menace series, but since it was so generic (and there was already Army of Isengard and Army of Harad), they decided to exchange this with Cave Troll of Moria, Menace of the Underdeeps (D) (as I think about it, they have essentially the same card text!).  This was done late enough in the process that the French/Italian/Spanish translations still had the old English placeholder (and was never in fact translated, unlike German), and the card image itself ended up on Decipher's website.  Oops. 

Now this is all speculation.  I could be very off on this, but I think by and large this is at least consistent with the evidence we have available to us. 

TL;DR

• The Triumph/Menace D-rarity cards are actually old W cards and should be listed separately
  • Army of Moria is likely a card that was never actually released in any capacity
  • My database is twisted in all sorts of knots over this and needs fixing, lol

If you have anything to add to this archeological history, please let me know!  I'm particularly interested to get the story from anyone who remembers when the D cards were added to the DB/Wiki way back when, if anyone can even remember it besides Kralik.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:29:48 AM by TelTura »
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

July 31, 2020, 03:58:24 AM
Reply #1

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
Re: D- and W-rarity cards, LOTRO, and a whole lotta Digital Archeology
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 03:58:24 AM »
Oh, and anyone who noticed those oddly-shaped portraits in one of the images, I believe those were for vertical sites.  LOTRO had a custom template for em which was never printed:

Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

July 31, 2020, 05:56:26 PM
Reply #2

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 05:56:26 PM »
I found some articles on the wayback machine that torpedo some of the assumptions of this post.

First, that Army of Moria was a beta card.  Apparently it was actually announced in Inquest magazine, so the above speculation must be false: https://web.archive.org/web/20061024174439/http://lotrtcg.decipher.com/notes/triumph_menace3.shtml

Second, the LOTRO-only evolving league cards were definitely released as D cards:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050303203158/http://lotrtcg.decipher.com:80/notes/league_arwen_spoiler.shtml

These cards showing as W in the LOTRO client data must have been a later restructuring (one that makes sense, but would not have been done at the release as I supposed).

August 02, 2020, 06:26:43 PM
Reply #3

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 06:26:43 PM »
Wow, good sleuthing.

As a former avid player of World's Apart's LotR Online TCG I remember both the Triumph and Menace and the customizable League cards quite well.

That text dump was really the Rosetta Stone for your quest. I can confirm / clarify things that you probably know already:

1. Online Triumph and Menace cards, 0W1 - 0W13

Cards 0W1-0W13 are the online-only "Triumph and Menace" cards, playable online in "Online Standard" and "Online Open" formats.

The game text of these Triumph and Menace cards was fixed -- not customizable like the later online League cards.

These were first available to beta testers in Nov 2003 and caused a lot of controversy, due primarily to the opacity of the triggers and the monumental effects.

Unfortunately, I can't say definitively what the deal is with Army of Moria vs Cave Troll conflicting for 0D8/0W8, but here's what I think: Army of Moria was both spoiled and released to beta players. Because it's an Orc, it was deemed too powerful, and ways replaced with the Cave Troll before T&M were widely released online. Obviously, Army of Moria was the inspiration for Decipher's Host of Moria from Reflections.

Re. "W" vs "D", Scott Martins of World's Apart is quoted in the T&M online forum right before their launch as saying, '[W is] just a place-holder for the moment. These digital cards will be their own series like the "P" promo cards are'. https://web.archive.org/web/20061024184042/http://lotrtcg.decipher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1798 I do not recall if the online UI changed these to "D" later on, but I assume so.

The cards 0W1 - 0W13 in the text dump match the Wiki as-is, with the exception of 0W08, obviously, which is in the Wiki as both Army of Moria (0W08) and Cave Troll of Moria, Menace of the Underdeeps (0D08). Images o_00_100001-13.jpg match, which supports the idea that it was the Cave Troll that we got in online play, and Army of Moria was only a beta card.

2. Online League cards, 0D14 - 0D26

The cards commonly known in the online game as 0D14-26 (0W14-26 in the text dump) are the online-only "League cards", playable only in League Constructed games.

The game text of League cards was customizable: A League card began with no game text but players could pay for new League Abilities with League Character points earned in Leagues.

League cards were available starting Dec 2004. An online player would randomly get one League card each time they joined a League. The Leagues (and League cards) fizzled out pretty quickly, iirc.

It makes sense that the images o_00_1000014-26.jpg, which correspond to these cards, were all found in the folder card_images_league separate from card_images_online.

Since the League cards with D-prefix were online-only, I presume Decipher didn't consider them a conflict when they started releasing physical DGMA D-series cards 0D1 - 0D8 (in 2005, right?).

Re. organizing and listing these, I think separating them makes sense -- but not necessarily by changing "D" to "W" (since "D" is what World's Apart eventually used for filtering in-game). Perhaps simply putting them in an "Online" section, rather than under Promotional?

3. Promo Cards 0P62 - 0P67

And, of course, 0P62-67 are physical cards based on League cards with some built-in League Abilities (representing a fraction of the cards' full potential). E.g. Gandalf, Stormcrow 0P64 is based on Gandalf, Stormcrow 0D17, but has STR 8 instead of the 7 that the League Card would have began with or the 10 that it could max out at.

I don't remember exactly why, when, or how I got my physical cards (I believe they were sent in the mail). Maybe they were sent out simply as a reward for playing the online game, or perhaps based on League performance, or maybe for beta testing. Not sure. I do remember being extremely stoked that Decipher made a physical version of these and I waited anxiously for more to arrive :)

4. Online Race to Mount Doom League Sites

The other images shown in the card_images_league folder that you shared (with the o82_ prefix) were from the online Race to Mount Doom League that coincided with the launch of the Leagues. Players progressed along a site path as the played games, with each site providing an effect to all that player's games while at the site. Game text of these sites was randomized as you played in the League.

Questions:

1. The wiki seems to be missing Online League Cards 0D14, 0D15, 0D25, and 0D26, correct? Where did the other Online League Card images come from?

2. In the above text dump, what to make of cards 0W27-38?  Clearly these reference cards that appear in later Decipher sets, E.g. Gimli, Sprinter, A Shadow Rises, Gorogorth Swarm, Far Harad Mercenaries, etc. but were these W cards early versions? Or were they online promos somehow different?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:41:35 PM by Steino »

August 02, 2020, 10:13:17 PM
Reply #4

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:13:17 PM »
Awesome!  One of the big things I've been missing was someone who was around and could remember what was going on then, so thanks so much for posting!

These were first available to beta testers in Nov 2003 and caused a lot of controversy, due primarily to the opacity of the triggers and the monumental effects.

Unfortunately, I can't say definitively what the deal is with Army of Moria vs Cave Troll conflicting for 0D8/0W8, but here's what I think: Army of Moria was both spoiled and released to beta players. Because it's an Orc, it was deemed too powerful, and ways replaced with the Cave Troll before T&M were widely released online. Obviously, Army of Moria was the inspiration for Decipher's Host of Moria from Reflections.

Dates are good, and knowing it came out before Reflections is even better. 

I can't believe I never noticed that Host of Moria uses the same image!  For all Decipher's blunders, they were pretty good about not reusing portraits (except when reprinting and the obvious transposing of cards after Shadows). 

Between the reuse of the portrait and the dangling translation bits attached to Troll, I think that actually puts the nail in the coffin for Army of Moria getting released outside of a beta, barring any further evidence.

Re. "W" vs "D", Scott Martins of World's Apart is quoted in the T&M online forum right before their launch as saying, '[W is] just a place-holder for the moment. These digital cards will be their own series like the "P" promo cards are'. https://web.archive.org/web/20061024184042/http://lotrtcg.decipher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1798 I do not recall if the online UI changed these to "D" later on, but I assume so.

!  The LOTRO forum made it on the Wayback?!  Well that's a pleasant surprise; the official Decipher forum is extremely sparse.  I will definitely need to spend some time combing through this.

W being a temporary label actually might make sense.  I'll reach out to the guy who did the LOTRO data dump and see how he assigned the rarity labels...in the first version of the dump, all rarities and sets were just numbers: 4 was Rare, 1 was Common, etc.  It's quite possible that he identified the rarity "5" and translated that as "W", when that was just based on his understanding and not pulled from the game.  I'll clarify from him; if he did that himself, then these cards I have labeled as W might have all shown as D in the client. 

Since the League cards with D-prefix were online-only, I presume Decipher didn't consider them a conflict when they started releasing physical DGMA D-series cards 0D1 - 0D8 (in 2005, right?).

Re. organizing and listing these, I think separating them makes sense -- but not necessarily by changing "D" to "W" (since "D" is what World's Apart eventually used for filtering in-game). Perhaps simply putting them in an "Online" section, rather than under Promotional?

Yeah, if my guess is right about the W label being user error, then it doesn't make sense to convert all the online-only cards to W (tho I wish they had just kept that moniker!  Would have made things easier). 

I also didn't realize that the physical D series came out so much later.  In that case, yeah, I think it's likely that Decipher just shrugged and figured that it wouldn't matter to have two D series, since one was online-only and the other was (mostly) physical-only.

The other images shown in the card_images_league folder that you shared (with the o82_ prefix) were from the online Race to Mount Doom League that coincided with the launch of the Leagues. Players progressed along a site path as the played games, with each site providing an effect to all that player's games while at the site. Game text of these sites was randomized as you played in the League.

Yeah, I've managed to track down some images of physical material to give me an idea of what those random abilities were. 

I notice that there's 18 images, but as far as I can gather only the 9 sites were used.  Were there two separate Race to Mount Doom events, or did the online client randomize which ones you use, or something?  The first set of nine seems to use Return of the King images, while the second set seem to use images from a mix of FOTR and TTT. 

The physical poster at least seems to have consistently used the same nine sets from the second set here, and the screenshots I've found on the wayback for LOTRO seem to use those same ones. 

1. The wiki seems to be missing Online League Cards 0D14, 0D15, 0D25, and 0D26, correct? Where did the other Online League Card images come from?

I'm hoping Kralik pops in to comment at some point, but several of these are floating around on the LOTRO website, and until I hear otherwise I assume that these cards weren't on Decipher's official store page (naturally) and they were added later as people combed through Wayback pages like this one.  The gaps are (I assume) because World's Apart didn't write a blog post featuring every single one (or if they did, they didn't make it on the Wayback). 

Heck, all of the W cards are still available from a 4-part blog series starting at this post here, so those might only have gotten in here in the first place because of the mad scramble to recover any and all cards when Decipher's website went down.  I'd like to know if they were on Decipher's official listings, but it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't and were only included post-scramble.

One of the things I'm going to do in the future is use my card generator + the portrait images from the LOTRO dump to re-generate all cards we don't have official images for, which includes these gaps here but also all the promo and 17-18 cards that had to be filled in with scans from fans. 

2. In the above text dump, what are cards 0W27-38? I don't recall ever seeing these in the online game, and while it's possible I simply can't remember 0W27-29 I'd be surprised if I'd just forgotten about 30-38 as they seem pretty distinct... Perhaps they were planned and even designed but never used.

Let's see here....
0W27 is 10C42
0W28 is 10C87,
0W29 is 10C41,
0W30 is 11R216,
0W31 is 0P105,
0W32 - 0W37 are the Hunters Design-a-Card contest winners, which eventually ended up in 17R17, 18R38, 18R1, 18R118, 17R37, and 17R144.
and 0W38 is 15R29.

So it's possible they were all essentially promos, used for rewards, sneak peaks, or possibly even beta tested online.  0W27 went through a slight name change, and it and 0W28 had their text tweaked between these entries and what's actually on the physical cards.  This lends credence to the idea that these online-only cards were used to beta-test some cards or concepts (or that it was just a means of drumming up hype and driving users to the online client with promise of exclusive sneak-peaks). 

August 02, 2020, 10:54:05 PM
Reply #5

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »
Looks like Arwen and Gandalf are still listed in the client as rarity W:

That said, these could only be viewed in the client as it is today by manually inputting their IDs into decks.  It's possible that W was used as a staging ground.

Since Theodred 0D5 is the only card currently in the "online" tab of the client, it's impossible to say what else might have gone there, including non-beta versions of the D/W cards listed above.  Internally the physical D cards and the W cards use a completely different set ID (neither of which is '0'), so the client was perfectly capable of showing multiple cards with the "same" collector's info.

Ah well.  I guess we'll never know.

August 02, 2020, 11:12:07 PM
Reply #6

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 11:12:07 PM »
Oh great analysis, and I'd love to poke at that data dump myself :)

Soon after I posted I realized that all of the other W cards are, in face, official Decipher cards published later (shown in my edited post), so thank you for the full text to confirm.

Re. the W marker, since the Online game persisted into the era where the D-GMA series came out, it's possible that World's Apart switched the League cards markers for D to W to match the T&M cards. I say that because I remember pretty distinctly filtering "D" cards within the game. Could be wrong, however.

What's great about seeing the W League cards is that if you have images for all of them it'd be pretty easy to post those to the Wiki, either blank with the League abilities in the description, or with full League Abilities Photoshopp'ed in (as we see with the current League cards in the Wiki).

If I can help, lmk.

August 03, 2020, 12:17:36 AM
Reply #7

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 12:17:36 AM »
Oh great analysis, and I'd love to poke at that data dump myself :)

Go nuts! 

LOTRO extracted data (images etc): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rCaqq1bFl_zJy2FV2MsHn84x4BdtHlUM
LOTRO card text spreadsheet: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EN966SQ6YbUYpfF-k-IejBNHQlHUHUb1
LOTRO raw card data (the raw binary data that one could theoretically re-parse): https://drive.google.com/open?id=13fqdKb2Oq44TA3hg40fbnA2ZqrRxUzsZ
LOTRO client: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bqi3xgZgS5ImxKorKHdIc99vI2nGnLLM

Re. the W marker, since the Online game persisted into the era where the D-GMA series came out, it's possible that World's Apart switched the League cards markers for D to W to match the T&M cards. I say that because I remember pretty distinctly filtering "D" cards within the game. Could be wrong, however.

Yeah, that's where all the uncertainty comes in.  Did they change things?  Was there a patch?  W was obviously meant to be temporary (and it clearly was, since a D version of the Troll image exists!), but then all these card are listed under W.  When did this flip-flop switchover happen?  Was it a complete conversion or haphazardly applied?

Really at this point I'm mostly concerned with how the #$&*@! we should be recording the cards in the wiki. 

What's great about seeing the W League cards is that if you have images for all of them it'd be pretty easy to post those to the Wiki, either blank with the League abilities in the description, or with full League Abilities Photoshopp'ed in (as we see with the current League cards in the Wiki).

If I can help, lmk.

Once the wiki is back up and running (and I really should be working on that rather than diving down rabbit holes like this #$&*@!-first...) we'd be happy to get any sort of help we can get.  Probably not in the photoshopping area (I've made a card generator that I can just tweak to use a smaller font size to fit all that text in), but there will be a number of articles that need writing that could use a perspective that was actually there.

August 03, 2020, 06:06:37 AM
Reply #8

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 06:06:37 AM »
Let's see here....
0W27 is 10C42
0W28 is 10C87,
0W29 is 10C41,
0W30 is 11R216,
0W31 is 0P105,
0W32 - 0W37 are the Hunters Design-a-Card contest winners, which eventually ended up in 17R17, 18R38, 18R1, 18R118, 17R37, and 17R144.
and 0W38 is 15R29.

So it's possible they were all essentially promos, used for rewards, sneak peaks, or possibly even beta tested online.  0W27 went through a slight name change, and it and 0W28 had their text tweaked between these entries and what's actually on the physical cards.  This lends credence to the idea that these online-only cards were used to beta-test some cards or concepts (or that it was just a means of drumming up hype and driving users to the online client with promise of exclusive sneak-peaks).

The lore for each of those tells you what they're for: the three set 10 reprints are labeled "Mount Doom™ Preview<BR> King Draft Pack", the following two are "Halloween Party 2004" and "Holiday Party 2004", then the "Hunters Design-a-Card contest entry" (well, contest winner) series with each card's creator. As an aside, King Draft was online-only -- if you can find documentation on it, it'll be easy to get the core of it in Gemp the way Fellowship and Towers drafts are. The physical draft packs used cards from the base set only (1 or 4), so it's interesting that some cards from set 10 were thrown in. I wonder at what point.

August 03, 2020, 01:33:28 PM
Reply #9

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 01:33:28 PM »
D'oh!  I didn't even think to look at the cards themselves, lol. 

I'll see if there's any threads to pull regarding King Draft, but I wouldn't hold your breath.  Reverse-engineering data that we knew represented cards is one thing, but finding the code that managed game types is a lot harder (not to mention we don't know how much of that was in the server vs in the client).