LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #22  (Read 5076 times)

October 01, 2020, 04:30:46 AM
Reply #15

Legion

• Information Offline
  • Horseman
Re: Fill in the Blank Season 1: Lairs #22
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 04:30:46 AM »
In the meantime, please lighten up. The hostility has been heavy.
Legion just associated 2 of my cards to Erkenbrand's Horn decks - perhaps the LOTR TCG equivalent of Hitler. And I replied him my opinion that his opinion was wrong, and now he has the chance to double down on his original thesis, correct it, or just ignore the whole sequence; we can still sip virtual tea together in this imaginary corner of the world - there's no need for bad blood. At least as long as nobody is calling anyone names.
I feel no bad blood. Indeed, I had no idea the card this week was yours, given how the format is anonymous. I was considering doing my own similar competition a while back where I'd get everyone to PM me their entries, and that would be totally anonymous.

I don't think I was quite saying that your Helm was a horn deck staple, just that that would be where he would be most at home. True you need to draw him, but now with Gamling/followers and horn, you can transfer Pallando to him for two directed wounds in Maneuver on top of good stats. I'd certainly consider dropping a few in there if I were playing the deck.

As for the Goblin, I'm just generally wary of 'Download' cards. The following page shows how a senior designer at Decipher didn't like them, so I view all such ones with scepticism unless it is really needed (like Gollum or Gandalf). Pre Shadows there were very few such cards that were worth replaying (I feel Simbelmyne was just about tolerable given how you can only play the event once, though it still goes against being a necessity for the culture. This recurs, so is immensely stronger). It's just a really powerful mechanic that often leads to balancing issues/stale play. I believe Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon had an issue of 'Turn 1 win on a coin flip, so the tournament is a waste of time' a while back, and cards that pull from the deck are so central to that theme.  That said, it is nice that it at least might give use to Goblin Reinforcements.

https://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/gollum_culture

However, I totally agree that you are entitled to your opinion as well as me being entitled to mine. And I don't want to influence it. Indeed, I never did. I never played the meta on Gemp, and never sought to change it either. I was happy playing Moria archery, honestly believing it to be as powerful as Uruks, but only as long as this was kept secret. For about a month when I won a few leagues (back in like 2013), my deck was everywhere. I even saw Great Shield being played! That stopped it being meta very quickly, and soon afterwards the shields left and I could enjoy my advantage again.

By the way, I can't vote for your Saruman as is, either. With Chief Counsellor (I hate that card more than I do horn), he's far too strong. I do like the idea, though. Especially for controlled sites.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:11:54 PM by Legion »

October 01, 2020, 05:40:00 AM
Reply #16

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 05:40:00 AM »
Until the end of the turn, this minion gains that tentacle's strength and vitality.
Does it stack? EG. it would be Strength 5 + that tentacle's strength and Vitality 2 + that tentacle's vitality?
Yes, and if you stack many tentacles, it would gain the strength and vitality of all of them.

October 01, 2020, 06:42:47 AM
Reply #17

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 06:42:47 AM »
That card (for me) just went from a 3/10 to an 9.5/10. Great job, the card is very creative.

October 01, 2020, 06:56:17 AM
Reply #18

Inspire

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 06:56:17 AM »
@Inspire and @azogsbane, if I understand correctly, this week's creation will alphabetically be after "Cold and Perilous" and before "Smoke From Isengard". Both or your entries begin with the letter "W". I am not the judge of the competition, but it looks like they might be invalid. The easiest of solution would be to rename your cards. ;) Why not Isengard Wolf?
Good catch - I read the original post incorrectly. I'll think of a new name.

October 01, 2020, 07:31:03 AM
Reply #19

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 07:31:03 AM »
I want to participate in this, but I'm not entirely sure how it works... I don't even know if I am eligible to enter.  :-?

October 01, 2020, 10:57:19 AM
Reply #20

menace64

• The Late-Night Moderator
  • Information Offline
  • Knight
  • Global Mod
  • Bruce Campbell is my father.
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 10:57:19 AM »
You're certainly eligible!

This week, we're submitting card ideas for an [Isengard] card whose name falls between "Cold and Perilous" and "Smoke From Isengard". That's all you gotta do to hop in.

October 01, 2020, 04:27:25 PM
Reply #21

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2020, 04:27:25 PM »
Sweet.  :uh-huh:

[4] Saruman, Lord of Isengard [Isengard]
Minion • Wizard
Strength: 8
Vitality: 4
Site: 4
Game Text: Saruman may not take wounds during the archery phase and may not be assigned to a skirmish.
Each weather condition is twilight cost -2.
Shadow: Exert Saruman to play a [Isengard] condition or event from your discard pile.
Shadow: Exert Saruman to discard a free peoples condition.

The idea here is simple.
Key weather conditions, specifically Saruman's Snows and Saruman's Frost now cost only an exertion (But that's why Isengard Worker exists.)
We don't what Saruman taken out, in case of a double move, so we can take out something like... Betrayal of Isengard.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:51:39 AM by JamesCB »

October 02, 2020, 10:19:16 AM
Reply #22

azogsbane

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 10:19:16 AM »
Thanks, Cw0rk.