LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: The Hunt for Gollum DC set - 2020 nanDECK version  (Read 2221 times)

October 17, 2020, 03:10:05 AM
Read 2221 times

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
The Hunt for Gollum DC set - 2020 nanDECK version
« on: October 17, 2020, 03:10:05 AM »
Following the release of the nanDeck LOTR-TCG Card Generator by TelTura, I decided to go back in time and update an old DC set that I've worked on a couple of years ago. All images were sourced from The Hunt for Gollum fan film/trailers, which is about Gandalf sending Aragorn on a quest to find Gollum. It takes place between Bilbo's birthday party and the departure of Frodo from the Shire. The movie can be seen at www.thehuntforgollum.com.

This DC set was made to be played alongside the current Fellowship Block cards. I've first thought about doing a 122 cards set, but because of the length of the movie and the absence of several cultures inside it, I've decided to make a 61 cards mini set instead (20C/20U/20R/1P). Overall, the set was build with the idea of introducing new strategies as well as improving existing FOTR Block strategies that I believed to be too weak. The key elements of that set are the introduction of the Gollum Shadow culture (which balances the number of Free Peoples and Shadow culture in FOTR Block to 5 each), as well as a strong focus on the search and stealth keywords (which are also the key elements of the film). These two keywords are now present in both Free Peoples and Shadow cards.

FULL CARD LIST WITH IMAGES

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:04:28 AM by Cw0rk »

October 17, 2020, 08:39:53 PM
Reply #1

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
Re: The Hunt for Gollum DC set - 2020 nanDECK version
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 08:39:53 PM »
B-e-a-utiful. I'm curious, have you playtested these much? Pity GCCG is kinda dead, it would make custom sets much easier to test than GEMP. Has anyone tried making a tabletop simulator addin for LotR TCG?
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

October 17, 2020, 09:02:22 PM
Reply #2

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 09:02:22 PM »
There is in fact a mod for TTS.  I took it and expanded on it a little, adding some table region markings and five starter decks to start with.  It's just such a colossal pain to create decks tho, I can't see it ever being a good test bed, which is unfortunate given how flexible the actual play system is.

That mod is here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2118493633&fbclid=IwAR28XHvryiTErVzkuZMFClTmHOViwPK64rCWwHLTShYGUJrFs8DpwG6KXrM
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

October 20, 2020, 04:18:37 AM
Reply #3

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 04:18:37 AM »
These look cool! I love the ideas for Lords of the Mountains/Woods. My favorite card is the ring, though.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:35:19 AM by JamesCB »

October 22, 2020, 07:12:59 AM
Reply #4

Cw0rk

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 07:12:59 AM »
I thought about reposting cards in smaller groups to give some insight about them, here is a first batch of 5 with individual comments...

For those of you who are familiar with Heartstone, the inspiration for this card is Reno Jackson, one of the most amazing concept I have ever seen in a card game. The goal is to create a card which gives a massive boost but that forces you to be creative and build unusual decks... Can you imagine the possibilities created by forcing people to play highlander vs regular competitive decks with this huge bonus for their Ring-bearer? Unlike Reno Jackson, there is no luck factor because you start with the Ring. Gandalf's Cart and The Shards of Narsil may be a few of the possible way to play multiple copies and avoid corruption in FOTR Block, which is great since the Shards has never been competitive (although discard decks would be a huge counter). The strength and vitality bonuses have to be playtested but I thought that making it similar to Gollum's statline might add some flavor to it.

The main cards that interact with FP search are %R13 Knowledge of the Wise and %U28 Camouflage. I find Dwarf to be neither too bad or neither too good in FP Block. I thought that giving them access to an underground Site 6 would be a huge improvement with Gimli, Dwarf of the Mountain-race, Till Durin Wakes Again and Their Halls of Stone. However...

However... in FOTR Block, you need ways to get rid of the Balrog is your site 6 is underground. Here comes this card which would work well with %R2 Dug Far and Deep.

I thought it would be fun to make a card which would make Gimli, Dwarf of Erebor worth using, as well as Grimir, Dwarven Elder, Storm Of Argument, Bilbo's Pipe and many other cards that nobody ever uses. Needs to be playtested because it might be OP with Bilbo's Pipe.

This is just a simple common skirmish event, like others that appear in most set. Nothing flashy but since there are many trackers in the set, it may be useful.

PS. @Inspire, No these cards were never playtested. If you ever happen to try them, let me know how it went!