LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Grey Pilgrim Gondor Uruks Beginning  (Read 1465 times)

January 30, 2021, 11:17:05 AM
Read 1465 times

elfwarrior

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Grey Pilgrim Gondor Uruks Beginning
« on: January 30, 2021, 11:17:05 AM »
I had help with deckbuilding a while a go and I tested one deck, I would like feedback

It is a Grey Pilgrim/King in Exile Uruk-Hai deck. I got the shadow deck suggestion before I build the deck. Perhaps the shadow can be tuned to better go with the Free Peoples side. All my wins were from the Shadow. Aragon's healing, Gandalf's card drawing and Lord of Gondor being hard to overwhelm (and get healed by Aragorn) helps me survive, but I have yet to race to the end and win in 7 games. Elrond and Ottar draw cards. They were a suggestion for card cycling and that required Gandalf. For this deck I picked The Grey Pilgrim.

5-2 record, but one loss was before I got suggested changes and one wan was off a mistake (I also made mistakes in this game and others course) where he exerted a minion to play a card which allowed me to kill the now damages 3 vitality minion with Greenleaf. So Legolas could fight the remaining uruk hai because Legolas was the only surviving companion besides Frodo. That bought me the turn I needed to take out my opponent's Frodo and win. I did lose Aragorn to a double pumped Lurtz earlier do to not planning for it.
A win against dwarves moria was because he got stuck on two dwarves and I got rid of Frodo at site 8. In one loss I faced sauron wounding with nazgul and if I used Greenleaf pn Cantea twice Aragorn and his flaming brand could have finished off Cantea (who would have been exhausted) and avoided 2 fierce hits.
A win against Elf/Sauron discard was helped by a super good starting hand. Early Sting and Glamdring helpd me choke to slow those big orcs down.

One win was due to concession becuaasue I double pumped a uruk to take out a hobit stealth-pumped Frodo, After I took out the conditions protectiing him with Saruman's Power and Anduin Confluence got rid of his Bounder. HE still had Sam with a hobbit sword and Aragorn heri to the white city. He conceded. I drew too much shadow too early and had to discard a few minions. When he conceced I had 2 minions in hand (including a pricy Lurtz), and 7 minions and 2 abandoning reason for madness and 3 pumps in my deck. If I knew 2 saruman's Ambition would make Sauruman's Power free I could have played a Ravager instead of the captain so the catain could revive an uruk at site 8 if needed. Still evening up top 6, having ottar plus what was in the deck could lead to setting up a win at site 9 at Slopes of Amon Hen with its discount to Isengard minions.

Maybe Galadriel's Glade could be swapped for Caras Galadhon. Replace one Aragon's Bow with another Greenleaf? Also Lurtz's battle cry is good early against dwarves. # Abandoing reason for madness could be too many. I could put the battle cry back in. Or a minion or a 4th Saruman's Ambition.

Gandalf Madness
Ring-bearer: Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer
Ring: The One Ring, The Ruling Ring

Adventure deck:
The Prancing Pony
Breeland Forest
Rivendell Terrace
Hollin
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Galadriel's Glade
Anduin Confluence
Gates of Argonath
Slopes of Amon Hen

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Legolas, Greenleaf
1x Gandalf, The Grey Pilgrim
4x Aragorn, King in Exile
2x Boromir, Lord of Gondor
4x Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
3x Ottar, Man of Laketown
2x Glamdring
1x Wizard Staff
2x Aragorn's Bow
2x Armor
1x Flaming Brand
2x Ranger's Sword
2x Sting
1x Narya
4x Servant of the Secret Fire
2x Sleep, Caradhras
1x The Last Alliance of Elves and Men
1x No Stranger to the Shadows

Shadow Draw Deck:
1x Lurtz, Servant of Isengard
3x Saruman, Keeper of Isengard
4x Troop of Uruk-hai
2x Uruk Captain
3x Uruk Fighter
4x Uruk Lieutenant
4x Uruk Ravager
1x The Balrog, Durin's Bane
3x Abandoning Reason for Madness
1x Beyond the Height of Men
1x Saruman's Power
4x Savagery To Match Their Numbers
1x Greed
3x Saruman's Ambition
1x Saruman's Snows

February 02, 2021, 06:45:39 PM
Reply #1

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Grey Pilgrim Gondor Uruks Beginning
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 06:45:39 PM »
Honestly it seems solid, and 5-2 is a pretty nice start! All I can do it nit pick, any changes at this point will be minor to cover weaknesses you discover as you play. How have the No Stranger to the Shadows and The Last Alliance of Elves and Men been working? Have you been able to draw them early enough to do any good? I'm wondering now if 2x of one or the other might be better than one of each. Have you found a preference for either? Or  perhaps they haven't done much for you and you'd rather remove them entirely. Maybe extra protection for Frodo would come in handy? Have you gone against Swarm much?

Your Shadow side looks very well balanced, especially combined with your card drawing you can build a near perfect hand every site. Since you're already playing 4x StMTN and 3x KoI, I'd think about exchanging some or all Uruk Fighter for Uruk Warrior -- the text is irrelevant most of the time and they cost the same, so 1 free strength. I only recently noticed this myself so if I ever told you otherwise... My apologies :P I personally love Abandoning Reason for Madness, but with Elrond and Ottar you might prefer a copy of another minion instead? Depends on your style, if you often discard just one card when you play it that's a good sign that you might want to take it down a notch.

What about Anduin Confluence, have you managed to surprise some people who don't expect it based on your allies, or is it doing you harm? Or are you generally ahead anyway?

It's also pretty likely that the only reason I have any comments at all are because you asked for feedback, haha. Maybe you shouldn't change it a bit! Especially if you haven't noticed any problems. Anyway. Good looking deck and good performance so far -- I won't be surprised if people come here to use your deck down the line if you keep doing well with it!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:51:16 PM by Phallen Cassidy »

February 03, 2021, 03:48:17 PM
Reply #2

elfwarrior

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Re: Grey Pilgrim Gondor Uruks Beginning
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 03:48:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Anduin confluence got rid of a Bounder, so I want to keep trying it. I get out doubled plenty of times. MY free peoples seems more of a just survive and put pressure with doubles if possible side. Ket the Jet's Uruks (what my shadow is based on) work well. The only change is 3 Abandoning reason for Madness swapped it from your suggestions of what to replace wiht it. Not sure if you meant I could replace all 3 suggested cards with Madness.

With Only Elrond and only one Legolas for Last Alliance I was considering a second Flaming Brand. And Elrond leaves after Anduin confluence. Perhaps one less Aragorn's bow and one more Greenleaf to help last alliance? Alliance was helpful when I got it out.

I might try Uruk warriors instead of uruk fighters. 2 abandoning reason for madness might be enough. I put 3. I have discarded an early abandoning reason for madness a number of times.

I think 7 games is too small a sample for making changes now. I'll ply it some more before making changes. Except I might try uruk warriors earlier.

Thank you

-elfwarrior