LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Lockbearer/Uruk Hunters  (Read 3610 times)

January 07, 2021, 06:29:09 AM
Read 3610 times

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
Lockbearer/Uruk Hunters
« on: January 07, 2021, 06:29:09 AM »
I knew that Gimli, Lockbearer has huge potential base strength in the open format, because you could get up to 7 unbound hobbits (with the other 2 companions being Gimli and the Ring-bearer). Westfarthing Businessman in particular was appealing, because he wasn't unique.

I also knew that Ugly Fellow, ISB, and Final Triumph could weak havoc on a non-hunter deck.

So, with that in mind, I present...

Open - Lockbearer/Uruk Hunters

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir
Ring: The One Ring, The Ring of Doom

Adventure deck:
Breeding Pit of Isengard
Abandoned Mine Shaft
Fortress of Orthanc
Barazinbar
Flats of Rohan
Fords of Isen
Crossroads of the Fallen Kings
Falls of Rauros
Green Dragon Inn

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Gimli, Lockbearer (Starting)
1x Merry, Loyal Companion (Starting)
1x Pippin, Sworn to Service (Starting)
2x Rosie Cotton, Barmaid
4x Westfarthing Businessman
3x Bounder
2x Dwarven Bracers
2x Hand Axe
3x Heavy Axe
3x Hobbit Sword
4x Endurance of Dwarves
4x Still Twitching
3x Strength In My Blood

Shadow Draw Deck:
4x Saruman, Curunir
3x Ugluk, Ugly Fellow
3x White Hand Butcher
3x White Hand Warrior
4x Isengard Siege Bow
3x Lurtz's Sword, Mighty Longsword
2x Weapon of Opportunity
3x Saruman's Staff, Wizard's Device
4x Final Triumph
4x Saruman's Ambition

January 07, 2021, 03:40:29 PM
Reply #1

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
Re: Lockbearer/Uruk Hunters
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 03:40:29 PM »
I haven't touched Open for obvious reasons, but I don't see this deck making it too far in the circuit. Besides the fact that it is ready to get pulverized by all of the normal threats out there (condition discarding, possession discarding) it's a deck that's largely focused on just one strong companion, which is bad news.

Let's say you could get this one off the ground though. Why *not* have Tolman Cotton, Fatty Bolger, and Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marish? You aren't taking advantage of the Westfarthing Businessman in any way (Sudden Fury and Scouring of the Shire would be the obvious choices there).

I would also note that if you want to see real unbridled strength, take a look at Pippin, Steadfast Friend!
-wtk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 03:44:03 PM by ket_the_jet »

January 08, 2021, 08:41:59 AM
Reply #2

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll

January 08, 2021, 09:54:15 AM
Reply #3

ket_the_jet

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Administrator
  • He/Him/His
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 09:54:15 AM »
Still confused why you are using Westfarthing Businessman. Why does it matter that he isn't unique? Sudden Fury still feels like a necessity whether or not you use Westfarthing Businessman. At least it has two fighters now, with Pippin and Gimli.
-wtk

June 29, 2022, 10:16:00 PM
Reply #4

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 10:16:00 PM »
I knew that Gimli, Lockbearer has huge potential base strength in the open format, because you could get up to 7 unbound hobbits (with the other 2 companions being Gimli and the Ring-bearer). Westfarthing Businessman in particular was appealing, because he wasn't unique.

I also knew that Ugly Fellow, ISB, and Final Triumph could weak havoc on a non-hunter deck.

So, with that in mind, I present...

Open - Lockbearer/Uruk Hunters

Ring-bearer: Frodo, Old Bilbo's Heir
Ring: The One Ring, The Ring of Doom

Adventure deck:
Breeding Pit of Isengard
Abandoned Mine Shaft
Fortress of Orthanc
Barazinbar
Flats of Rohan
Fords of Isen
Crossroads of the Fallen Kings
Falls of Rauros
Green Dragon Inn

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Gimli, Lockbearer (Starting)
1x Merry, Loyal Companion (Starting)
1x Pippin, Sworn to Service (Starting)
2x Rosie Cotton, Barmaid
4x Westfarthing Businessman
3x Bounder
2x Dwarven Bracers
2x Hand Axe
3x Heavy Axe
3x Hobbit Sword
4x Endurance of Dwarves
4x Still Twitching
3x Strength In My Blood

Shadow Draw Deck:
4x Saruman, Curunir
3x Ugluk, Ugly Fellow
3x White Hand Butcher
3x White Hand Warrior
4x Isengard Siege Bow
3x Lurtz's Sword, Mighty Longsword
2x Weapon of Opportunity
3x Saruman's Staff, Wizard's Device
4x Final Triumph
4x Saruman's Ambition

Do not have a lot to add really but just wanted to say I like your use of the Minion Hunters. I have been a huge Hunter fan most on the fellowship side but as of late been trying to do a lot with the Hunter Minions mostly the Uruk-Hai. The two people I play with do not really use hunters at least at this time and may never use them, hard to say so I do get a slight advantage on strength that way. I have one main Hunter deck consisting of my Fellowship Hunters and my minion Hunters as well  But really have not done much with it yet. Also have some smaller hunter decks as well.

BTW if you got 3 Ugluk Ugly Fellows I am jealous I came late to the game and have been trying to get even one of that Ugluk and people are asking outrageous money for him, so I am going to be using the one from the earlier sets and just get around things for the most part.

June 30, 2022, 03:31:59 PM
Reply #5

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 03:31:59 PM »

BTW if you got 3 Ugluk Ugly Fellows I am jealous I came late to the game and have been trying to get even one of that Ugluk and people are asking outrageous money for him, so I am going to be using the one from the earlier sets and just get around things for the most part.

I don't actually have 3 Ugly Fellow's (that would be awesome). I use this deck on Gemp, which, if you haven't heard of it, is a way to play online.

June 30, 2022, 03:40:32 PM
Reply #6

Tunadan

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 03:40:32 PM »
What's your handle on Gemp?
 I'd like to try to play this deck.
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

June 30, 2022, 06:45:23 PM
Reply #7

Larry5000

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 06:45:23 PM »

I don't actually have 3 Ugly Fellow's (that would be awesome). I use this deck on Gemp, which, if you haven't heard of it, is a way to play online.

Yep got ya  familiar with Gemp but never have played on it yet. I guess having any card on Gemp you want is not the same as having them physically.

July 01, 2022, 07:01:01 AM
Reply #8

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 07:01:01 AM »

Yep got ya  familiar with Gemp but never have played on it yet. I guess having any card on Gemp you want is not the same as having them physically.

Absolutely, it's waaay different. As someone who has played with both a (very) limited collection and with just choosing any card you want, I can testify that the decks you can build are wildly different.

July 01, 2022, 07:04:22 AM
Reply #9

JamesCB

• Information Offline
  • Troll
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 07:04:22 AM »
What's your handle on Gemp?
 I'd like to try to play this deck.

Had to check since I haven't played in a while, looks like it's Jam-Jam.