LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Hate and Anger  (Read 1366 times)

March 10, 2022, 08:31:38 PM
Read 1366 times

Silinde

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Hate and Anger
« on: March 10, 2022, 08:31:38 PM »
Shadow: This is a deck is designed around a rarely used event --  [Isengard] :twisted: Hate and Anger :evil:     (spot  [Moria] minion and uruk to draw 3 cards).
Drawing 3 cards fits in very well with thrust of the standard goblin swarm that mills twilight and draws cards with goblin scimitar (+amories&scavengers) and goblin runners and goblin swarms, etc.
However, this event also requires an uruk, and [Isengard] uruks don't really do swarm that well. Enter the  [Sauron] uruk -- they are cheap (Cirith Ungol Sentinels are even free, with 2 possessions in play), and as a bonus they bring with them the Ithil Stone -- more cards in shadow and sometimes a clutch [3] savings for your swarm. 2x copies of Saruman's Ambition can reduce the cost of Hate and Anger to  (0), while also still usable as a skirmish pump for your uruks.
 Together, it can allow for some absurd shadow phases -- my favorite is when my opponent moved to site 6 with five unwounded companions, only giving me  [9] total twilight, but I was able to draw 12(!) cards in the shadow phase (+1 Ithil stone, +9 Hate and Anger x3, +2 goblin scimitar x2) and still purchase every shadow card I had in hand (with [1] left over, even without the help of any goblin armories which the opponent had discarded earlier). I played 9 minions and multiple support area cards, ultimately killing 4 companions and leaving only the ring bearer, naked & helpless for the next turn.

As a side bonus, I think because uruks aren't super common, no one in the current gemp meta seems to expect greed haha. People are used to risking 6+ companions because it usually only means 3 wounds from enquea. I've had ~3 (out of 8) games with this deck where I machine gunned the enemy fellowship with greed.

Free people's: it is just a standard-ish Bilbo Ringbearer + shire country side deck. The primary goal is to draw tons of cards with the Red Book of Westmarch + Tales + Birthday present/ Nine-fingered frodo and the Ring of doom/ shire countryside to mill through cards, burdens, and healing while getting skirmish strength from Merry, Friend to Sam. The Council of Elrond is also a nice perk to help get to the Red Book and move through your draw deck quicker. Finally, because the deck is so large, it also has time for things like Elrond + Vilya and Escape + Everyone Knows.

Strengths: The shadow can generate some of the most absurd and unexpected swarms, with so many ways of playing free minions/generating twilight paired with one of the best (if not the best?!) minion set-ups at drawing cards during the shadow phase. With the most aggressive form of crowd control (greed) you'll be triple assigning companions in no time. The fellowship, meanwhile, usually does its job -- be decently strong against a lot of enemy shadow sides, while drawing its own horde of cards to help cycle through the 100+ draw deck.

Weaknesses: Support area / condition hate and the usual weaknesses of Bilbo RB / Shire countryside fellowships
In addition, the deck is Huuuuuuuuuuge (>100 cards), which is often not a big deal since I'm drawing so many cards with both sides. However, the card drawing engines can be slow to start, the deck can be vulnerable if the wrong cards come in the wrong order, especially since it is essentially running two separate shadow cultures (uruk and  [Moria]) with even a card that requires you to have both in hand. I also have almost certainly over-packed the deck and might streamline it by cutting out a number of less-used cards, but it hasn't been too big a problem because of its card cycling capacity.

How to play the start: definitely bet 2+ burdens to go first (and have burdens for Shire countryside / Tom Bomadillo), but don't feel obligated to move quickly, having that extra fellowship phase to set up at the start can be very helpful to start the process of milling through your deck, and means you don't fall too far behind if you can't double and your opponent does.

Current Decklist:
Ring-bearer: Bilbo, Bearer of Things Burgled
Ring: The One Ring, The Binding Ring

Adventure deck:
Sleeping Quarters
Rohirrim Camp
Hall of the Kings
Pelennor Plain
Pelennor Flat
Minas Tirith Third Circle
Osgiliath Channel
Morgul Vale
Haunted Pass

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
Starting fellowship--
1x Legolas, Dauntless Hunter
1x Merry, Friend to Sam
1x Pippin, Friend to Frodo

3x Sam, Great Elf Warrior

4x Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
3x Tom Bombadil, The Master

1x Phial of Galadriel
3x Brace of Coneys
4x Hobbit Sword
1x Red Book of Westmarch
1x Vilya

4x The Council of Elrond
4x Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom

1x A Light in His Mind
2x A Talent for Not Being Seen
2x Birthday Present
3x Consorting With Wizards
3x Escape
4x Everyone Knows
1x Good Work
1x O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
4x The Shire Countryside
2x The Tale of the Great Ring
2x There and Back Again

Shadow Draw Deck:
3x Goblin Backstabber
4x Goblin Runner
3x Goblin Scavengers
2x Goblin Scrabbler
2x Goblin Wallcrawler
2x Goblin Warrior
2x Host of Moria, Legion of the Underdeeps
2x Moria Scout

1x Cirith Ungol Guard
2x Cirith Ungol Patroller
4x Cirith Ungol Sentinel
4x Cirith Ungol Sentry

3x Goblin Scimitar
1x Grond, Hammer of the Underworld
2x Ithil Stone

4x Hate and Anger
3x Host of Thousands

2x Greed
2x Saruman's Ambition
3x Goblin Armory
2x Goblin Swarms
1x Plundered Armories
2x They Are Coming

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 09:00:35 PM by Silinde »

March 10, 2022, 11:17:10 PM
Reply #1

Cease

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
Re: Hate and Anger
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 11:17:10 PM »
Hey, this deck rules and I'm glad you posted it! Real fun Shadow, and the idea of using redeye uruks with Hate and Anger to run three cultures worth of tech cards and hand extension is really great.

March 11, 2022, 10:41:41 AM
Reply #2

Tunadan

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 10:41:41 AM »
Hands down the most creative Movie deck I've seen for a long time. I always wanted to make Hate and Anger work, and this looks really awesome.
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

March 13, 2022, 01:38:32 PM
Reply #3

nazgul123

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 01:38:32 PM »
THANK YOU!

Hello,

I have watched you play this deck a couple of times.  It's a work of art.  I'm just getting back into the game and I appreciate great player's sharing their knowledge and insights.  GEMP LOTR is a great community of players old and new.  LOTR TCG has always brought the best people together.  The description, the strategy and the time you took to make this happen just shows that you care about the players and the game,  from all of us...

Thanks again and keep them coming.

I hope to see more posts in the future. 

your friends from GEMP

March 31, 2022, 04:32:31 PM
Reply #4

Tuchalla

• Information Offline
  • Goblin
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 04:32:31 PM »
I really like the idea.  I mostly play the game with the actual cards, and putting this deck together would be #$&*@! near impossible, unless you gathered the cards early on or, sunk a tonne of money into your stash.  That being said, good job.  Not very realistic in the what I refer to as the "real world" of the game before online = play whatever you want cards. Just not the same dynamic. 

April 01, 2022, 09:07:05 AM
Reply #5

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 09:07:05 AM »
Looks fun! Got any replay links?
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!

May 17, 2022, 07:57:17 PM
Reply #6

Silinde

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 07:57:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! It is very fun deck to play with & design!

I have one obvious addition / change: Uruk Captain
He lets me draw 1 additional minion in the shadow, usually for free: Cirith Ungol Sentinel if I already have another red-eye uruk out.
He replaced some of the more useless cards (like plundered armories) and I made a number of other changes since the deck list I originally posted.

As far as replays:
https://play.lotrtcgpc.net/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=Silinde$urtta3r5j3va5oiv

I don't know if this is the best replay, but it was easy for me to find the link for this one (wait / fast forward to the end -- the fun part is the final site where I draw ~14 cards in the shadow phase). I might try to find another good one and add it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 08:02:46 PM by Silinde »