LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Upgrading my original deck vs discard  (Read 866 times)

May 01, 2022, 01:31:46 PM
Read 866 times

elfwarrior

• Information Offline
  • Scout
Upgrading my original deck vs discard
« on: May 01, 2022, 01:31:46 PM »
I lose a lot to discard. My original deck could use some help against it. I made it with a copied shadow but my Free Peoples and finished it with some advice from an expert.

Here is a recent recording of me losing to A discard deck with White Arrows of Lorien, and gift of boats and Shoulder to shoulder. And What are we waiting for. And Horn of Boromir. Tower of barad dur and desperate defense of the ring. Yes  I make mistakes. I could have  got to site 9 next turn but I was low on cards and got Great boated. I only posted a deck to go with the video. I have a terrible time vs discard although I make mistakes.
https://play.lotrtcgpc.net/gemp-lotr/game.html?replayId=elfwarrior$yha63otjo5yc6pnf

Here is An early deck I had help making that I lost to the discard deck with. Uruk shadow, King in Exile who heals Gandalf, Frodo and Boromir and Grey Pilgrim for Free Peoples. Build strong fellolwship. Draw cards with Elrond. It can get shadow wins, perhaps more that it get free peoples wins.

I have a terrible time against discard but I make mistakes.
But I did beat a dwarf Sauron Discard deck with this by making it to 9 albeit with an empty deck and managing to stay under 5 burdens.
Beat discard a couple time using 90ish card decks from forum. I"m an inexperienced LOTR TCG deck builder. More of a copier right now, unfortunately. I find LOTR tcg deckbuilding and facing all the best cards in the game (or format) to be intimidating.

Gandalf Madness 2 brand (72 cards)
Ring-bearer: Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer
Ring: The One Ring, The Ruling Ring

Adventure deck:
The Prancing Pony
Breeland Forest
Rivendell Terrace
Hollin
The Bridge of Khazad-dum
Galadriel's Glade
Anduin Confluence
Gates of Argonath
Slopes of Amon Hen

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Legolas, Greenleaf
1x Gandalf, The Grey Pilgrim(starting)
4x Aragorn, King in Exile
2x Boromir, Lord of Gondor
4x Elrond, Lord of Rivendell
3x Ottar, Man of Laketown
2x Glamdring
1x Wizard Staff
2x Aragorn's Bow
2x Armor
2x Flaming Brand
2x Ranger's Sword
2x Sting
1x Narya
4x Servant of the Secret Fire
2x Sleep, Caradhras
1x No Stranger to the Shadows

Shadow Draw Deck:
1x Lurtz, Servant of Isengard
3x Saruman, Keeper of Isengard
4x Troop of Uruk-hai
2x Uruk Captain
4x Uruk Lieutenant
4x Uruk Ravager
3x Uruk Warrior
1x The Balrog, Durin's Bane
3x Abandoning Reason for Madness
1x Beyond the Height of Men
1x Saruman's Power
4x Savagery To Match Their Numbers
1x Greed
3x Saruman's Ambition
1x Saruman's Snows

-thank you, Elfwarrior

May 16, 2022, 03:51:12 PM
Reply #1

TelTura

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Administrator
    • Player's Council Discord
Re: Upgrading my original deck vs discard
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 03:51:12 PM »
So the trick to beating discard decks isn't necessarily including specific cards (although a Courteous Halfling will of course shut it down in formats where its legal).  Rather, when you see a discard deck start firing, all you need to do is start running like mad.  Like, irresponsibly running down the site path.  Discard does not have the cards to spare to stop you, so running like a madman is the way out. 

It sucks, as it basically means that you throw out whatever plan it was you had with your deck to start with, but that's the way it goes.  You might even go so far as to not play minions if they are set up with White Arrows of Lorien, just to clog their freeps events and not giving them the opportunity to nuke your hand, tho that's a less frequently useful tactic. 
Come join the Player's Council to help us run events, create new cards, and steer the direction of this great game!

Join our Discord here for more information.

May 16, 2022, 05:06:26 PM
Reply #2

elfwarrior

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 05:06:26 PM »
Thanks. Ah. Run like crazy. I guess the only other strategy is play more cards. And don't play minions if you go to 9 next turn if they can't catch you.  Having 90+ card decks helped.
I have the same fellowship in a deck that is over 80 cards due to a Moria shadow. How would a bigger deck with uruk-hai work?

-Thank you, Elfwarrior

May 17, 2022, 02:29:19 PM
Reply #3

Orophoin

• Information Offline
  • Orc
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 02:29:19 PM »
Thanks. Ah. Run like crazy. I guess the only other strategy is play more cards. And don't play minions if you go to 9 next turn if they can't catch you.  Having 90+ card decks helped.
I have the same fellowship in a deck that is over 80 cards due to a Moria shadow. How would a bigger deck with uruk-hai work?

-Thank you, Elfwarrior

TelTura is correct about running against a shadow discard: your fellowship should generally be able to go quite quickly against whatever Sauron tries to throw at you. Maybe swap out one Servant of the Secret Fire for Barliman Butterbur, as that way you can recover another Sleep if necessary.

Uruks are generally good against discard as they pack the one card the Fellowship can't stand: Saruman's Power. That will take out Shoulder to Shoulder, The White Arrows, Far Seeing Eyes and even an early Gift of Boats. But one is not enough. You'd want at least two, probably three if you can fit it in.

May 17, 2022, 05:07:25 PM
Reply #4

elfwarrior

• Information Offline
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 05:07:25 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that. My Saruman's Power showed up way too late in the replay. I'll fit one or two more. And I did get a sleep discarded when I was stuck with desperate defense of the ring s. Also those freeps conditions are ELf conditions so goblin scrabbler works if you play Moria. But Saruman's Power is more powerful.

Thank you,

-elfwarrior