LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Smelob, Eater of GLR  (Read 1910 times)

April 06, 2023, 04:45:50 PM
Read 1910 times

Silinde

• Information Offline
  • Neekerbreeker
Smelob, Eater of GLR
« on: April 06, 2023, 04:45:50 PM »
This is a fun, weird Semi-Solo-Smeagol + Smelob, Eater of Light deck I've been working with. It is not very successful, but it is fun haha.

The idea: Smeagol kills unbound companions every turn, but that doesn't mean you can't have unbound companions in the fellowship! Specifically, a few cheap ones in the starting fellowship: GLR, and unbound hobbits. This gives smeagol a nice early shield of bodies to throw in the way, lets you abuse Rohirrim road site 1, helps you cycle your draw deck a bit when you use your one ring to draw Nenya out of the deck, and gives you the oh-so-satisfying opportunity to place Galadriel, Lady Redeemed in the dead pile. Every. single. game. Very, very satisfying......
Sam is also there to remove early burdens -- for your bet of 2-3 to go first + using binding ring, having pippin + sam immediately removes 4 of those -- and then often he does it again at site 3, before dying usually at site four (stupid fat hobbit!). The rest of the free people is a fairly normal solo-smeagol fellowship, but I do have Elrond + Vilya to help control enemy conditions or to heal smeagol.

The shadow is a standard-ish Shelob, Eater of Light[Sauron] Orcs. I have been using 2x copies of Peril, but I've replaced them here with something more useful -- and more thematic -- Terrible as the Dawn x2. Got to kill GLR on both sides of the game! I really dislike GLR  ](*,) but this also could help prevent GLR from nuking your web/larder set up. 

Strengths: IDK, it is fun? haha. I have had >36 strength shelobs before, and smeagol can be surprisingly good at sneaking to site 9.

Weaknesses: This deck is very dependent on free people's conditions (ugh Saruman's power.....) and on shadow possessions. Also setting up Shelob can take a long time.

Decklist

Smelob
Format: Movie Block
Author: Silinde
Ring-bearer: Smeagol, Bearer of Great Secrets
Ring: The One Ring, The Binding Ring

Adventure deck:
Rohirrim Road
Rohirrim Camp
Hall of the Kings
Pelennor Plain
Pelennor Flat
Minas Tirith First Circle
Ruined Capitol
Northern Ithilien
Haunted Pass

Free Peoples Draw Deck:
1x Galadriel, Lady Redeemed
1x Merry, Learned Guide
1x Pippin, Hobbit of Some Intelligence
1x Sam, Son of Hamfast

3x Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad

1x Nenya
1x Vilya

2x Foul Creation
3x Clever Hobbits
4x Nasty
4x Not Listening
3x Where Shall We Go
2x Power According to His Stature

3x Don't Look at Them
2x Follow Smeagol
4x Never
4x Poor Wretch
1x O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!

Shadow Draw Deck:
2x Gollum, Mad Thing
2x Gollum, Old Villain
4x Shelob, Eater of Light
2x Army of Udun
2x Gorgoroth Berserker
4x Gorgoroth Soldier
3x Gorgoroth Swarm
3x Mordor Warrior
2x Orc Archer Troop
3x Orc Assault Band
2x Orc Insurgent

2x Larder
4x Web

3x Captured by the Ring
2x Terrible as the Dawn

1x Unabated in Malice
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 04:51:05 PM by Silinde »

April 13, 2023, 03:43:25 PM
Reply #1

Tunadan

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
Re: Smelob, Eater of GLR
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 03:43:25 PM »
Cool! I'm particularly enthused with the idea of killing GLR a lot...

If you're running Gorgoroth Assassin, you might consider Grond. Sure, you have to toss a couple orcs, but getting rid of gear like Coat of Mail and Tale of the Great Ring can be nice to allow Shelob to overwhelm.
He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom.

April 14, 2023, 09:06:24 AM
Reply #2

Not a Zombie

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • An intelligent Corporeal, Previously sweet_stuff
Re: Smelob, Eater of GLR
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 09:06:24 AM »
Haha, I love it. This is the best kind of meme deck, well done sir.
No one loves you like I do.
--God

I'm imploring people I've never met to pressure a government with better things to do to punish a man who meant no harm for something nobody even saw, thats what I'm doing!