LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Brave New World spoilers!  (Read 103148 times)

April 20, 2010, 02:26:22 PM
Reply #150

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
Re: Brave New World spoilers!
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
Could the green one be a wrath for non-creature permanents?

April 26, 2010, 10:49:45 AM
Reply #151

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #151 on: April 26, 2010, 10:49:45 AM »
B-E-A-utiful! That'll work just fine. Here are the new versions!

Morwen's Wrath (R)(R)(R)
Instant
Morwen's Wrath can't be countered.
Choose one - Morwen's Wrath deals 3 damage to each creature and player; or destroy target land.
R

Somewhat less powerful, I know. However, it's still an overpowered Volcanic Fallout, OR it's an INSTANT-SPEED LD! THAT'S gotta be worth something!

Aalistair's Wrath (G)(G)(G)(G)
Sorcery
Destroy all non-creature permanents
R

HELLOOOOOO Armageddon! AND in a color that needed it BADLY! PLUS, it kills artifacts AND enchantments! So, you have a bunch of signets and don't care about my land-killing? Guess again! Thanks, Thranduil! :gp: for ya!

April 26, 2010, 01:22:00 PM
Reply #152

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #152 on: April 26, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
And while we're at it...:

Stone Rain [2](R)
Sorcery
Destroy target land.
C

Mossfire Barrage [2](G)(G)
Creature - Plant
Defender.
When Mossfire Barrage enters the battlefield, destroy target nonbasic land.
0/5
U

So yeah, I'm a sucker for LD'ing. I know most people AREN'T, but let's be honest, most people who start playing the game are not too keen on combos and counters, and we don't see THOSE getting neutered. LD'ing is a valid gameplay stragy, and leads to nice situations in Limited, so I think it warrants a bit of love every now and then.

April 27, 2010, 03:51:08 AM
Reply #153

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2010, 03:51:08 AM »
The problem with Stone Rain (and the reason it hasn't been reprinted in a long time) is because it's really really un-fun to have your lands destroyed. You should be able to do it, which is why land destruction appears in every set, but not at [3] and destroying basic land. It's just too early to be any fun at ALL! This is why I'm not bothered by Morwen's Wrath as you play it on 3 but can only destroy nonbasics, but I am really against seeing Stone Rain in a format again. I'm also not convinced that lands should be included in the green wrath - there's a reason Armageddon also hasn't been reprinted in a while.

April 27, 2010, 04:49:44 AM
Reply #154

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2010, 04:49:44 AM »
Let's be honest, though: which is more un-fun? Having an opponent cast a spell on turn 3 to nuke 1 of your lands, or having to sit and watch an opponent going through the motions to combo you out on turn 1-2 in Legavy/Vintage? And no use mentioning you CAN react to that, you can react to Stone Rain just fine as well. Thing is, that was the first step Wizards took to "dumb down" the game so new players might join. I'm not against the policy but I am against nuking whole strategies to do so. Just reprint GOOD counterspells, and you're game. Aggro will whip LD's #$&*@! anyway, and control will be able to fight it. But nooooooo, because said new players ALSO don't like counterspells. They even dumbed down Wrath of God, because they ALSO don't like it. Stone Rain hasn't been printed for THIS reason. Stone Rain can be played from Extended backwards just fine, and still does not see ANY play. It's just not that powerful. And as for Limited, is a high-risk, high-pay card. You might be playing a dead card against most 2-colored opponents, but you will punish stretchers and bad manabase builders. As for the green Wrath, well, Armageddon IS awully powerful. Perhaps some checks and balances are in order. I'll still let it keep said effect, I'll just have to see what I'll twist in it.

April 27, 2010, 01:33:44 PM
Reply #155

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2010, 01:33:44 PM »
I'm thinking about bumping Aalistair's Wrath up to 5. How does that sound?

April 27, 2010, 01:57:29 PM
Reply #156

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »
I think you'd be better off making it "Destroy each nonland nocreature permanent". Then you could even move it to 3.

April 28, 2010, 12:31:55 PM
Reply #157

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2010, 12:31:55 PM »
But then it'll suck! :P Seriously, who wants Tranquility+Shatterstorm+Planeswalker killer anyway?

April 28, 2010, 01:58:03 PM
Reply #158

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »
Ok, this is my final take on it.

Aalistair's Wrath [1](G)(G)(G)
Sorcery
Destroy all lands. For each land destroyed this way, its controller searches his or her library for a basic land card and puts it onto the battlefield tapped. Lands put onto the battlefield this way do not untap during their controller's next untap step.
R

It blows up lands, something green wanted fierce (AND something that has to do with what green has been doing in the game later, which is blowing lands). It searches lands, a very green ability, allowing you to set up Scapeshift-like, although searching only basics. It screws over opponents that are too greedy (which, over the years, tend to stomp all over monogreen due to access to more resources). It time walks, allowing critters extra damage (a.k.a. an overrun effect would, except split between two turns). It's not totally unfair (the opponent will get to untap THEIR lands before you untap yours). It plays REALLY well with the green ability to untap your lands during opponent's turns (Seedborn Muse).
So...?

April 28, 2010, 05:48:40 PM
Reply #159

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
I like it! Looks great to me, and very (G).

May 05, 2010, 10:09:03 AM
Reply #160

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2010, 10:09:03 AM »
So, batch of white cards today! Kicking it off so we can move into the second quarter of the set!

Lyn, Ascending (W)(W)
Planeswalker - Lyn
-1: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
-2: Destroy target tapped creature.
Loyalty: 3
U

Well, I bet you didn't see THIS one coming. Yes, another version of a Planeswalker in the same set. And yes, at UNCOMMON! To be entirely honest, I'm doing this because this set does not make use of the mythic rarity yet, otherwise the other Lyn would me Mythic, and this one Rare. However, I think it fits the bill well enough, introducing Planeswalkers without flashy "ultimate" abilities, but more of a different type of resource. Sure, she fits well in aggro. Sure, she is worse than Anthem effects most of the time (you'll want to remove blockers, so they won't be tapped anyway). However, the nicest design issue with her is this: she fights Lyn. If you check the Rare Lyn, she fits well in control decks, probably more than she would fit in aggro, if at all. THIS Lyn, however, fits aggro. So you are STILL helping your strategy, AND keeping the control player from playing Lyn as well. Minor nitpick, I know, but still nice as an interaction. Also, notice you can STILL lock him out with multiples and they won't be dead in your hand, since you can activate Lyn on your turn, thus 0'ing her Loyalty, play a SECOND Lyn from hand, activate HER (thus, pumping twice, for instance) and still have a Lyn down locking the other player's Lyn.

Blade Barrier [1](W)(W)
Creature - Wall
Defender, flash, flying.
3/3
C

Simple poorman's removal. Useful in Limited. Probably useful in constructed, if you want to pay control and can afford double-white.

White Knight (W)(W)
Creature - Human Knight
First strike, protection from black.
2/2
U

Yeah, gosh golly, how original. However, THIS next one might make it original...

Silver Knight (W)(W)
Creature - Human Knight
2/2
U

Both of them, together. Too much? Who knows? We HAVE a lot of knights in standard, and we don't see them all seeing play, so, I'm taking a wild guess with this one, trying to force an archetype into real possibility. Let's see how it pans out. Honestly? I expect them to see play in a 2/2 split most of the time, with a 3rd one for each side on sideboards. Tops.

Youth Knight [1](W)
Creature - Human Knight
2/1
C

And this seals up the knight mini-cycle. I still have one more spell for knights, though...

Annointment (W)(W)
Enchantment - Aura
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and first strike.
C

So ANY lowly soldier can become a KNIGHT! ^^

May 05, 2010, 11:46:27 AM
Reply #161

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2010, 11:46:27 AM »
Lyn, Ascending (W)(W)
Planeswalker - Lyn
-1: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
-2: Destroy target tapped creature.
Loyalty: 3
U
Though the reason Planeswalkers don't appear at less than rare is because of the body of rules knowledge that they require which isn't on the card. I wonder if you only have 2 (or 1?) abilities, then you could even include rules reminders so that it can appear at this rarity.

Blade Barrier [1](W)(W)
Creature - Wall
Defender, flash, flying.
3/3
C
Seems fine. There's a similar UW guy I remember from Shadowmoor or Eventide isn't there? Plumeveil?

White Knight (W)(W)
Creature - Human Knight
2/2
U

Silver Knight (W)(W)
Creature - Human Knight
2/2
U
Currently they're both the same, or was the second one supposed to be pro red?

Annointment (W)(W)
Enchantment - Aura
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and first strike.
C
Compare to Hyena Umbra and you can tell straight away that this card is bad! It really would not speak to me unless it also granted pro black (and perhaps lost the +1/+1).

Thranduil

May 05, 2010, 02:54:39 PM
Reply #162

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2010, 02:54:39 PM »
Well, with 25% of the set spoiled, it's time to have a little breakdown, to see how things are going.

Brave New World - 360 cards - 90 cards spoiled (25%)
White cards spoiled - 14/65 (21,5%)
Blue cards spoiled - 9/65 (13,84%)
Black cards spoiled - 8/65 (12,30%)
Red cards spoiled - 15/65 (23,07%)
Green cards spoiled - 9/65 (13,84%)
Multicolored cards spoiled - 10/10 (100%)
Colorless cards spoiled - 5/5 (100%)
Land cards spoiled - 20/20 (100%)

Total non-land cards spoiled - 70:
Creatures: 28 - 8 White, 2 Blue, 3 Black, 7 Red, 4 Green, 2 Multicolored, 2 Colorless
Sorceries: 16 - 1 White, 2 Black, 3 Red, 3 Green, 6 Multicolored
Instants: 15 - 2 White, 6 Blue, 2 Black, 3 Red, 2 Multicolored
Enchantments: 2 - 1 White, 1 Green
Auras: 2 - 1 White, 1 Green
Tribal: 5 - 2 White, 3 Red
Artifacts: 5 - 5 Colorless
Equipments: 1 - 1 Colorless
Planeswalkers: 6 - 2 White, 1 Blue, 1 Black, 1 Red, 1 Green

Converted mana cost:
0: 0
1: 13
2: 15
3: 19
4: 12
5: 2
6: 2
7: 5
8: 1

So, what do we know so far? First of all, that I really really really hate enchantments. Aside from that, that enchantments will still make a big appearance, since no a single non-aura one was spoiled so far. Also, that tribal IS going to play a role, it just stands to be seen how big. Then, the set is FAST. Not über-fast, (2-drops dominate), but still fast. Which means the non-aggro colors will still get some nifty stuff to stem the bleeding. Last, but not least, we still know that green and blue WILL get their usual spells (sorcery-speed card drawing for blue, instant-speed combat tricks for green), but they remain yet to be seen.

May 05, 2010, 02:57:16 PM
Reply #163

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2010, 02:57:16 PM »
I'll tweak the aura. And fix the knigh, it WAS pro red.

May 06, 2010, 02:53:02 PM
Reply #164

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2010, 02:53:02 PM »
Tweaked. Giving pro-black and first strike is just lame for that cost, so I made it closer to knighthood, giving +2/+2 and first strike.