LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Brave New World spoilers!  (Read 103064 times)

January 19, 2009, 09:06:53 AM
Reply #30

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
Re: Brave New World spoilers!
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 09:06:53 AM »
Ok, I think I'll tackle the rest of the multicolored cards to get THAT out of the way, and from now on, we're going mono! ALso, this is "probably" the last time I'm gonna post spoilers of so many cards at once (5), I think it might be funnier to let you guys skim through the card list and spot the cycles (specially the loose ones and the ones that do not cover every color) for yourselves. This is also the first chance for you to see some of the races and tribes that will be present in the set.
So here they are:

Rotting Elf (G)(B)
Creature - Elf Zombie
When Rotting Elf comes into play, you lose 3 life.
3/3
C

Chance Strike (U)(R)
Instant
Flip a coin and call heads or tails while its in the air. If you win, Chance Strike deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If you lose, Chance Strike deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
U

War Call (W)(R)
Instant
Untap all creatures.
C

Flux (U/G)
Sorcery
Reveal the top 3 cards of your library. Put all basic land cards revealed this way into your hand and the rest at the bottom of your library in any order.
C

Infiltrated Agent 1 (W) (B)
Creature - Human Rogue
At the start of your upkeep, you may have each player lose 2 life.
1/1
C

PS: (U/G) stands for a hybrid mana cost, that can be payed for with either a blue or a green mana. I'm explaining this because I'm using it and we don't have those symbols in the site yet.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:10:51 AM by Felipe Musco »

January 19, 2009, 11:58:32 AM
Reply #31

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 11:58:32 AM »
Rotting Elf (G)(B)
Creature - Elf Zombie
When Rotting Elf comes into play, you lose 3 life.
3/3
C
It does seem good. That's probably not a bad thing though!

Chance Strike (U)(R)
Instant
Flip a coin and call heads or tails while its in the air. If you win, Chance Strike deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If you lose, Chance Strike deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
U
This is surely straight worse than Incinerate. Surely it should deal more damage? Or maybe the second power should be a more blueish ability like bounce.

War Call (W)(R)
Instant
Untap all creatures.
C
This seems fun! I'm not sure how good it is though.

Flux (U/G)
Sorcery
Reveal the top 3 cards of your library. Put all basic land cards revealed this way into your hand and the rest at the bottom of your library in any order.
C
Cool.

Infiltrated Agent 1 (W) (B)
Creature - Human Rogue
At the start of your upkeep, you may have each player lose 2 life.
1/1
C
I don't think you should have the choice - it's much more black to not have the choice.

Thranduil

January 19, 2009, 12:22:04 PM
Reply #32

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 12:22:04 PM »
The alst guy is both black and white, which is why he gives you a choice. If he was only black, following the color pie he'd probably just do it every turn, as depicting black's ability to drain itself dead on its lust for more and more power. However, adding the white, I give it the flavor of self-sacrificing for the greater good (greater good being the vanquishing of the enemies, in this case), which is why I made it optional. As for Chance Strike, you WERE right, it was kinda sucky as it was, so I'm changing it slightly to this:

Chance Strike (U/R)(U/R)
Instant
Flip a coin and call "heads" or "tails" while its in the air. If you win, Chance Strike deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If you lose, Chance Strike deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
U

This way, it makes it at least versatile, depicst a bit of color-pie bleeding that is in league with the set's feel, AND it's made slightly better, I mean, monoblue removal spell? Yes please! Of course, it's still strictly worse than Incinerate, but to be honest most burn spells are, and it has the added bonus of color-fixing or off-color playing, so I guess it makes up for it (and for being an uncommon!).
For the other ones, as I stated before, this is the general feel I want to capture by these other multi-colored spells. They are good, but they are not perfect, because let's face it, thos colors are not very well-suited to be doing that. So black helps you get a big creature, but it comes at a chunk of your life. Blue helps deals damage, but not reliably. White gives you control over a self-draining ability, but the creature is made weaker. Blue and green combine to draw cards (while not exactly DRAWING them, mind you, so it can't be abused by, say, dredge, which is why I worded it that way) AND ramp up, but not doing any of those in a very good manner (although it might be useful, who knows? ;)). And white and red combine to get a nice combat trick, a pseudo-vigilance or a surprise strike force to bounce back from a crippling spell (Cryptic Command?), or maybe even just some more shots at a given tap ability, but one that may end up helping the opponent as well. ;)
Anyway, IS Chance Strike more palatable now?

January 19, 2009, 12:27:02 PM
Reply #33

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 12:27:02 PM »
And to wrap things up for today, another spoiler, although another reprint. However, this is one that works out greatly with the idea that experimenting with different mana may not work out greatly. Although this particular card will really shine by the time the second set kicks in, for now it can at least help playing the Ultimatums.

Gemstone Mine
Land
Gemstone Mine comes into play with three mining counters on it.
(T), Remove a mining counter from Gemstone Mine: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. If there are no mining counters on Gemstone Mine, sacrifice it.
U

January 20, 2009, 07:23:23 AM
Reply #34

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 07:23:23 AM »
Today, I'll post some more lands, so you can get a grasp as to what exactly you'll have available to toy with when building, so that any card I post later can be fully analyzed.

Enchanted Forest
Land - Forest
Enchanted Forest comes into play tapped.
Whenever Enchanted Forest becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
U

Lost Paradise
Land - Island
Lost Paradise comes into play tapped.
Whenever Lost Paradise becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, Scry 2. (You may look at the top 2 cards of your library. Put any number of them at the bottom of your library in any order and the rest on top of you library in any order).
U

Putrid Expanse
Land - Swamp
Putrid Expanse comes into play tapped.
Whenever Putrid Expanse becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
U

Training Grounds
Land - Plains
Training Grounds comes into play tapped.
Whenever Training Grounds becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Graft 1. (This card comes into play with a +1/+1 counter on it. Whenever a creature comes into play, you may move any number of +1/+1 counters on this card to it).
U

Swarming Caves
Land - Mountain
Swarming Caves comes into play tapped.
Whenever Swarming Caves becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, put a 1/1 red Goblin creature token into play.
U

So, now, there's only 1 land left to spoil! I wonder what it'll do? :roll: ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 07:59:30 AM by Felipe Musco »

January 20, 2009, 07:40:21 AM
Reply #35

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 07:40:21 AM »
Today, I'll post some more lands, so you can get a grasp as to what exactly you'll have available to toy with when building, so that any card I post later can be fully analyzed.

Enchanted Forest
Land - Forest
Secluded Grove comes into play tapped.
When Secluded Grove becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
U

This is utterly broken, IMO. Just pair it with blue and you've got tons of extra mana for controlling.

Lost Paradise
Land - Island
When Lost Paradise becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, Scry 2. (You may look at the top 2 cards of your library. Put any number of them at the bottom of your library in any order and the rest on top of you library in any order).
U

This is cool.

Putrid Expanse
Land - Swamp
When Putrid Expanse becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
U

Very nice.

Training Grounds
Land - Plains
Whenever Training Grounds becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Graft 1. (This card comes into play with a +1/+1 counter on it. Whenever a creature comes into play, you may move any number of +1/+1 counters on this card to it).
U

I'd say Graft 0 would be fine. The Graft mechanic though has a very green feel, even the name. I don't like putting it on a plains.

Swarming Caves
Land - Mountain
Unreachable Pinnacle comes into play tapped.
Whenever Unreachable Pinnacle becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, put a 1/1 red Goblin creature token into play.
U

Its not Unreachable Pinnacle, though, its Swarming Caves. This ain't bad at all.

So, now, there's only 1 land left to spoil! I wonder what it'll do? :roll: ;)
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

January 20, 2009, 07:57:05 AM
Reply #36

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 07:57:05 AM »
Yeah, I was fixing it when you posted. :D You also missed Enchanted Forest, which was called Secluded Grove before. ;)
I must say I LOVED the idea of Graft 0 on Training Grounds. However, I'd then be inclined to make the land come into play untapped, although then it'd be strictly better than Plains and every single deck playing Plains would play 4 of these, so I think I'll just make it Graft 0. Graft is indeed a green ability, but I wanted to have the set constantly reminding players of color bleeding, and it just so happens that placing +1/+1 counters is a white ability as well (Ajani Goldmane comes to mind), which is why I felt confortable moving it to white. I admit, though, that the name sucks, but since the ability HAS been keyworded, I have to use the keyword. :(
As for Enchanted Forest (Secluded Grove? ;)), it's not nearly as broken as it seems, and most certainly not in the situation you described. You have a CIP tapped land that does not naturally add blue mana, and although it can add one extra mana when tapped, it comes at the cost of discarding a card. I don't think it's broken at all, although playtesting may prove me wrong, but the biggest use I see for it is Limited play (splashing colors and such) or ramp decks (even though it'll still be costing you cards, so unless you have extra Lands in hand, you'll be pitching spells for a single mana). I DO see a "broken" (I don't think it actually IS broken, but it's surely amazing when pulled off, although it would require one of 2 lands already printed that are NOT being reprinted in the set, so... anyway, let's see if someone gets it) situation with it, though I'll have to wait and see just HOW abusable it really is.

January 20, 2009, 04:13:56 PM
Reply #37

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2009, 04:13:56 PM »
Enchanted Forest
Land - Forest
Enchanted Forest comes into play tapped.
Whenever Enchanted Forest becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
U
I'd prefer Secluded Grove, or Enchanted Grove. I feel like that tapping for 2 mana so completely outshines all these other lands it's crazy. Perhaps it would be better to have a Rampant Growth sort of ability. I'm also assuming that the fact that these lands come into play tapped means that they don't "become tapped" when you play them, right?

Lost Paradise
Land - Island
Whenever Lost Paradise becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, Scry 2. (You may look at the top 2 cards of your library. Put any number of them at the bottom of your library in any order and the rest on top of you library in any order).
U
This seems fair enough.

Putrid Expanse
Land - Swamp
Whenever Putrid Expanse becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
U
This seems awesome.

Training Grounds
Land - Plains
U
I think I might prefer for simplicity's sake just discarding a card to put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

Swarming Caves
Land - Mountain
Swarming Caves comes into play tapped.
Whenever Swarming Caves becomes tapped, you may discard a card. If you do, put a 1/1 red Goblin creature token into play.
U
I love this one!

Thranduil

January 20, 2009, 04:48:40 PM
Reply #38

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2009, 04:48:40 PM »
Yes, they coming into play tapped mean they are utterly useless that turn, they didn't become tapped. However, a Mistbind Clique (or a certain popular artifact that is coming back), for instance, would allow you to get the effect even though you'd get no mana from it, which is why it's worded in such a way, to either counter a play from the opponent with a nice effect, at least, for you, or to "combo off" with some stuff so that you needn't manaburn to use the ability.
The graft land I want to put the counter on the LAND so it's not abusable, otherwise, it's crazy, any land you draw late game turns into +1/+1 for a point of damage (from manaburn), which would greatly outshine Rustic Clachan, which is RARE and has been seeing a lot of play. By putting the counters on the land, they'd still have to drop a creature in order to move them, although it could be used with other interactions.
As for the mana-adding one, that's 2 people so far that said it outshines the other lands, but you keep forgetting it costs a card to get one more mana. How long can you keep up? How much will that ability actually alter the game? Manamorphose fixes TWO colors of mana, replaces itself with a card and it still doesn't see play outside very specific decks. What exactly are the broken plays you can see this land being used in that require closer attention? Some examples might help me see it as well.
PS: I like "Enchanted Grove" a lot. I already had a land named grove, but I like the sound of this, and I have two named "forest" right now, so... thoughts?

January 20, 2009, 08:34:25 PM
Reply #39

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2009, 08:34:25 PM »
Well, while it's true that you could use its ability only in very limited situations, it allows you to ramp up to 3 mana on turn 2 without dropping Elves or Birds, which are subject to removal. And are only green. THIS can be used in any deck (since it can add any color of mana) and can't be stopped by removal.

Let me think about another situation.

Turn 1: Land, Birds. (5 cards in hand).
Turn 2: Enchanted Forest, Fertile Ground (Draw, 4 cards in hand).
Turn 3: Land. (Draw, 4 cards in hand). Now 6 mana. (3 cards). Drop Garruk (2 cards), untap Enchanted Forest (with fertile ground) and other land. Adds back to 6 mana. (1 card). Now you can play any creature with up to 6 cost, in almost any color combination (since Fertile Ground + Enchanted Forest fixes 2 colors) and have a Garruk, on Turn 3.

Sure, it's specific, but note that some of those cards are lands and/or discard fodder.

Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Thou cannot unjack what doth hath been jacked. - Menace64
"To die's the day worth livin' for!"
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

January 20, 2009, 08:50:16 PM
Reply #40

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2009, 08:50:16 PM »
Yeah, and you take a removal, and you're done. Which is why I'm saying, this may seem crazy, but it IS balanced, look through how many hoops you have to jump! Not to mention a single counterspell also wrecks you, or basically any discard spell. Heck even droping several small creaturesmight wreck you depending on what you get to drop.
The most "unbalanced" I thought for it was drop it first turn, then drop either Twilight Mire or Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, discard Akroma to the land, play Baal, reanimate Akroma. And as I said before, it'd STILL not be reliable enough, and it's a best-case scenario at most, one involving lands that are not in the set, therefore impossible to pull off here, although it'd still be fine, it'd be a combo-ish deck that'd need to rely on getting the God hand or wait several turns, and remain with dead cards in hand (since they probably wouldn't be able to PLAY it).

January 21, 2009, 12:08:35 PM
Reply #41

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »
A combo that gets screwed by counters still screws someone who doesn't play blue.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.
Maybe you guys can find a bard and have your story of heroic Balrog proximity put into verse.

January 21, 2009, 02:33:54 PM
Reply #42

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 02:33:54 PM »
It gets screwed by counters, removal (even pseudo, like Pacifism), possibly chump blockers, Pithing Needle-like abilities, etc. Also, White has access to counters as well.

January 21, 2009, 06:22:51 PM
Reply #43

Elf_Lvr

• Information Offline
  • Lord
  • Rhythmic Ringwraith
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 06:22:51 PM »
Depends on how your set runs, really.

I don't think the card is broken - it's just really, really good. Maybe not by a lot, but it is probably better than the others. The fact that you can search it as a forest makes it even better.

Maybe not broken, but it'd be pretty revolutionary, and probably a four-of in any deck that uses/fixes green.
Happy Hunting!
Remember Cobracards.com.

January 22, 2009, 04:28:08 AM
Reply #44

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 04:28:08 AM »
I guess we'll have to wait for playtesting to tell. I'm not so sure about the 4-of, though, because that hampers aggro decks. I think it'd be more of a combo card, personally, MAYBE control (not sure because the MAIN color it gives is green).