LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Brave New World spoilers!  (Read 103199 times)

March 03, 2010, 01:11:48 PM
Reply #135

Witchkingx5

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Brave New World spoilers!
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »
OK, accepted. ;)

March 04, 2010, 01:52:13 PM
Reply #136

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2010, 01:52:13 PM »
So, in order to celebrate 1000 views of my topic (and, of course, the replies), I'll post one shiny spoiler from each color! They are all rare, all of them are color-bleeding in one way or more, and they are all supposed to be all stars in Constructed and Limited alike. So HERE THEY GO!

Goldenwood Herd [3](G)(G)(G)
Creature - Elephant
Split second.
Trample.
If Goldenwood Herd would be destroyed, put a -1/-1 counter on it instead. (Damage on this creature wears off if its replacement effect takes place.)
6/6
R

This card color-bleeds (B) in a subtle way: relentless, enduring creatures. This guy actually costs a lot for a 6/6 trampler (green can do better than this for sure) that dies to any form of removal, but when he doesn't actually DIES, he just SLOWLY shrinks, well, you can picture that he is, in fact, one fine creature. Also, as an added bonus, notice he doesn't leave the battlefield at all, so auras remain attached on him, making him a GREAT target for those as well (and you all know how much I HATE auras!).

Iceburn [X](R)
Sorcery
Multikicker [R].
Iceburn is blue.
Iceburn deals X damage to target creature or player. If a creature was dealt damage by Iceburn, that creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap steps. If a player was dealt damage by Iceburn, draw a card. You may select a new target for each time Iceburn was kicked.
R

Your straight-up burn spell. Sorcery speed, pays X, deals X, no questions asked. However, this one comes with a twist. Aside from letting you get multiple targets easily, it color-bleeds blue greatly, both by being blue (thus, harder to stop) and by "borrowing" blue's "freeze" ability, not letting creatures untap... ever again.

Unspeakable Horror [5](B)(B)(B)
Legendary Creature - Angel Horror
Fear, first strike, flying, lifelink, persist, protection from white.
6/6
R

This one bleeds red, white and even green a little, although just a little. It's more of a fatty, a finisher. It also pairs up nicely with Recycle Flesh...

Ancestral Feelings (U)
Instant
Each player draws 3 cards. Any player may pay 3 life. If they do, Ancestral Feelings is countered.
R

That's right. Ancestral Recall, fair and square. Control won't benefit from the damage anyway, so most players will be able to pay it, and aggro won't force enough damage if the control player has the game. However, this card DOES come with the twist of helping the opponent... So, will it really do the worst of 2 options most of the time? I don't know...

The white card endep up not being flashy enough for my taste and I scrapped it, so instead you get a color-bleeding uncommon:

Lyn's Accolite [1](W)
Creature - Human Spellshaper
(W), discard a card, (T): Counter target spell unless its owner pays [1].
(W), discard a card, (T): Lyn's Accolite deals 3 damage to target red or green creature.
1/1
U

Spellshaper that shapes Sunlance and Mana Tithe. Simple enough, pretty enough.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:54:40 PM by Felipe Musco »

March 04, 2010, 03:01:45 PM
Reply #137

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
    • Zalman's Dungeon (blog of SF stories by Thranduil)
« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2010, 03:01:45 PM »
Goldenwood Herd [3](G)(G)(G)
Creature - Elephant
Split second.
Trample.
If Goldenwood Herd would be destroyed, put a -1/-1 counter on it instead. (Damage on this creature wears off if its replacement effect takes place.)
6/6
R
I love this guy! Great, clean and cool.

Iceburn [X](R)
Sorcery
Multikicker [R].
Iceburn is blue.
Iceburn deals X damage to target creature or player. If a creature was dealt damage by Iceburn, that creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap steps. If a player was dealt damage by Iceburn, draw a card. You may select a new target for each time Iceburn was kicked.
R
Much less of a fan of this one. Firstly, shouldn't the wording be a bit like Comet Storm (ie. "Choose target creature or player, then choose another target creature or player for each time ~ was kicked."). Secondly, I don't like the the dual extra effects - I would choose one of them and run with it (ie. "Creatures dealt damage by ~ do not untap during its controller's next untap step" - aside: not untapping ever seems crazy. can the game (or indeed the players) even keep the memory of which creatures were dealt damage indefinitely? - or "If a player was dealt damage by ~, draw a card."). I might even just go with Comet Storm text, then at the end make it a cantrip? I might even make the multikicker cost (U).

Unspeakable Horror [5](B)(B)(B)
Legendary Creature - Angel Horror
Fear, first strike, flying, lifelink, persist, protection from white.
6/6
R
Again, seems okay. Maybe I'd prefer a bigger Akroma reference and replace persist with pro green?

Ancestral Feelings (U)
Instant
Each player draws 3 cards. Any player may pay 3 life. If they do, Ancestral Feelings is countered.
R
I'm not sure if all players need to draw. Given how easy it is to counter, I think just drawing 3 is fine. Also (minor point), wouldn't the wording be "If a player does, counter Ancestral Feelings"?

Lyn's Accolite [1](W)
Creature - Human Spellshaper
(W), discard a card, (T): Counter target spell unless its owner pays [1].
(W), discard a card, (T): Lyn's Accolite deals 3 damage to target red or green creature.
1/1
U
I've always loved Sunlance. Don't see a problem with this, though wouldn't it make more sense to deal damage to red or black creatures?

Thranduil

March 08, 2010, 10:48:03 AM
Reply #138

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2010, 10:48:03 AM »
Iceburn [X](R)
Sorcery
Multikicker [R].
Iceburn is blue.
R
Much less of a fan of this one. Firstly, shouldn't the wording be a bit like Comet Storm (ie. "Choose target creature or player, then choose another target creature or player for each time ~ was kicked."). Secondly, I don't like the the dual extra effects - I would choose one of them and run with it (ie. "Creatures dealt damage by ~ do not untap during its controller's next untap step" - aside: not untapping ever seems crazy. can the game (or indeed the players) even keep the memory of which creatures were dealt damage indefinitely? - or "If a player was dealt damage by ~, draw a card."). I might even just go with Comet Storm text, then at the end make it a cantrip? I might even make the multikicker cost (U).

It should, I'll fix the text (and the one on Ancestral Feelings, which, btw, would be way overpowered as a blue lightning bolt to the face, which is why everybody draws). And yes, it's possible to use markers to keep track of those, and both the game and the players can (and should) do that. I like the multikicker costing (U), but then I just think it'd be difficult to splash it. Also, it's not that amazing anyway, since it costs A TON to nuke too many beaters, I've playtested this one as Blaze in limited 10th edition, and it worked well enough. For the two dudes, for the horror I actually tried to reminisce Akroma, but not reference it directly, which is why I gave a lot of similar abilities, but didn't simply made it a mirror of it; and for the spellshaper, it's supposed to be a colorbleeding card to fit the set's theme, which is why it spellshapes two Planar Chaos "timeshifted" (colorshifted in reality) cards.

March 23, 2010, 01:50:23 PM
Reply #139

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2010, 01:50:23 PM »
Was looking through your card list, and just wanted to make a couple of points:

Aalistair the Violent (G)(G)(G)(G)
Planeswalker - Aalistair
Split Second.
+1: Put a 3/3 green elephant creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice an untapped land.
-2: Aalistair the Violent deals 2 damage to target creature.
-6: Creatures you control gain +1/+1, trample and double-strike until end of turn.
Loyalty: 5
R
Couldn't you just tap all your lands in response to the first ability?

Goldenwood Elite (G)(G)
Creature - Elf Warrior
3/3
C
I believe at the time I thought this guy was too powerful. Compare to one of your other cards:

Rotting Elf (G)(B)
Creature - Elf Zombie
When Rotting Elf enters the battlefield, you lose 2 life.
3/3
C
Now this guy seems great and balanced, and yet worse than a monocoloured card. Even if you can make the argument that (G)(G) is a fine price for a 3/3 (which you just about can), then printing both of these guys in the same set is a little bit of an insult to multicoloured players, isn't it?

Thranduil

March 24, 2010, 06:30:50 AM
Reply #140

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2010, 06:30:50 AM »
It is. The insult is meant, in fact, since the set is supposed to make you play monocolored decks. But on the other hand, playing the zombie gives you access to removal and evasion, which green lacks (aside from trampling). I'll have to rethink Aalistair, though, you're right on the first ability. It'll need rewording.

March 24, 2010, 06:34:11 AM
Reply #141

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2010, 06:34:11 AM »
Done.

March 25, 2010, 08:55:08 AM
Reply #142

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2010, 08:55:08 AM »
Thranduil has got me thinking. I'm still not changing Goldenwood Elite's design, but I'm moving it up to uncommon.

April 12, 2010, 08:36:44 AM
Reply #143

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2010, 08:36:44 AM »
I'd just like to show you a card spoiled for Rise of the Eldrazi:

Deprive (U)(U)
Instant 
As an additional cost to cast Deprive, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
Counter target spell.
C

And this one I designed for this set:

Spellbind (U)(U)
Instant
Kicker - Return a land you control to its owner's hand.
Counter target spell unless its controller pays . If Spellbind was kicked, counter target spell instead.
C

So, what do I do? Leave it at that? I know I don't HAVE to simply copy the spell they made, but should I kick it up to uncommon? For giving you the option of NOT setting your land development back?

April 13, 2010, 12:34:49 AM
Reply #144

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2010, 12:34:49 AM »
Nah , cos this way id use your version and not theirs!! Think your fine FM, wizards commons are often piles of tripe, with the odd exception of lightning bolt etc.
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

April 16, 2010, 02:11:32 PM
Reply #145

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2010, 02:11:32 PM »
Well, I've been kind of having designer's blockage, so it was kinda rough creating these, hope they're at least alright. I've been toying with the idea of Wraths for a while now. I intended to bring Wrath of God back in the last set, but it would make no sense flavorwise, and it'd make control decks either suck until then, or be extremely good already in order to survive WITHOUT it. With this in mind, I made a CYCLE of Wraths instead.

Lyn's Wrath (W)(W)(W)
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures with converted mana cost 3 or higher.
R

I'm not sure about the mana cost. Or the effect. Or anything. It's weenie-oriented, that's for sure, but I'm not sure it's constructed material, I mean, how many big guns are your opponents bound to have anyway? Still, if you can 2-for-1 them with this, it might be good. I mean, they drop a wall, follow it up with another wall and are confident you can get past those (Plumeveil + Wall of Reverence, anyone?), tapping out. You untap, get rid of them and swing. Mana open to activate Lyn's Acolyte, even. Simple, yet beautiful. Also, a nice wrench to throw at Hypergenesis after it vomits its hand. Or Dragosntorm. Or Living End. Anyway, you get it.

Abel's Wrath (U)(U)(U)
Instant
Destroy all creatures. Those creatures' controllers put a 3/3 green ape creature token onto the battlefield for each creature destroyed this way.
R

This one I love. Love the flavor, an angry Mage turning their opponents into Apes! Always loved Pongify when it first came out. Also, notice you can actually fizzle a spell aimed against YOUR creatures, meaning, this can be used in aggro decks just fine. Also, if you DO want to use it in control decks, even if you might be tempted to deem it too weak, remember you can actually Engineered Explosives for 0 after it, effective nullyfing a board you would otherwise not be able to playing monoblue. Also, I LOVE instant-speed wrath effects, this way, they swing at you, you nuke their board, nullify the attack, swing back with whatever chimps you have left, and nuke the board AFTERWARDS.

Baal's Wrath (B)(B)(B)(B)
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated. For each creature destroyed this way, you lose 2 life and put a 2/2 black zombie creature token onto  the battlefield under your control.
R

This one's NICE! Sure, it might be overpowered. But seriously, you ARE taking a free swing from probably tapped creatures to do it anyway, so I think it ties in nicely with an angry necromancer rising their enemies and allies alike from the very soil they just died on!

Morwen's Wrath (R)(R)(R)
Instant
Morwen's Wrath can't be countered.
Choose one - Morwen's Wrath deals 3 damage to each creature and player; or destroy all artifacts with converted mana cost 3 or less and Morwen's Wrath deals 1 damage to each creature and player.
R

Nothing new. Volcanic Fallout, slightly better and with an added bonus in case it IS relevant (i.e., aggro on aggro matchup, you're ahead and they drop an equipment that COMPLETELY NEUTERS YOU (I'm looking at you, Umezawa's Jitte with 1/1 Faerie Tokens!). Oh, yeah, this COMPLETELY WRECKS Thopter Foundry + Sword of the Meek combo. HUZZAH!

Aalistair's Wrath (G)(G)(G)
Sorcery
Choose one - Creatures with power 2 or less gain +3/+3 and trample until end of turn; or creatures with power 3 or greater gain +3/+3 and trample until end of turn. At end of turn, sacrifice each creature affected by Aalistair's Wrath.
R

Yeah, I know. It CAN be used "for free" in control decks as more wrath effects, but seriously, how many of those do control decks really need anyway? Also, since I'm encouraging monocolored strategies, I don't want to FORCE people into an archetype. Want to play green? Go ahead. CONTROL green? Sure, help yourself! We're colorbleeding anyway! But keep in mind that it won't be as effective as, say, white. Heck, even red.

I'm not sure what to make of these, but I loved the overall flavor feeling of them. They all affect combat somehow, meaning they CAN be played in any type of deck, and msot of them are not awfully expensive, enough that even COMBO decks could squeeze them in as aggro stoppers, I mean, seriously, which black combo deck WOULDN'T want a wrath effect that leaves them with bodies on the board to block some more? Heck, even TRADE! Unless you're combo'ing with your life points, it's pretty nice.

Stay tuned for the next batch, by the way, you're in for a surprise!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:14:08 PM by Felipe Musco »

April 19, 2010, 07:26:18 AM
Reply #146

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2010, 07:26:18 AM »
Lyn's Wrath (W)(W)(W)
Sorcery
R
I think perhaps quadruple (W) would sit better with me. It is still a one-sided wrath, even if it may not kill that many creatures at once.

Abel's Wrath (U)(U)(U)
Instant
Destroy all creatures. Those creatures' controllers put a 3/3 green ape creature token onto the battlefield for each creature destroyed this way.
R
Mass Pongify! Classic. But, current wording seems to suggest that each players get apes equal to the total number of destroyed creatures, which was presumably not your intention?

Sorcery
Destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated. For each creature destroyed this way, you lose 2 life and put a 2/2 black zombie creature token onto  the battlefield under your control.
R
I love the flavour of killing everyone and raising them back as Zombies. Control decks would definitely play it, though I can imagine the pain now.

Morwen's Wrath (R)(R)(R)
Instant
Choose one - Morwen's Wrath deals 3 damage to each creature and player; or destroy all artifacts with converted mana cost 3 or less and Morwen's Wrath deals 1 damage to each creature and player.
R
I think this card is doing too much. Either I would make it a mega Volcanic Fallout, or I would make it a Shatterstorm effect (perhaps uncounterable), or I would do something like:

Choose one - ~ deals 3 damage to each creature and each player; or destroy all artifacts with converted mana cost 3 or less.

This last choice just seems to fit better to me, and I don't think it needs uncounterability.

Sorcery
Choose one - Creatures with power 2 or less gain +3/+3 and trample until end of turn; or creatures with power 3 or greater gain +3/+3 and trample until end of turn. At end of turn, sacrifice each creature affected by Aalistair's Wrath.
R
I love the effect, but I'm not the biggest fan of the choice again. What's wrong with only one of those options? Or a minor Overrun granting everything +1/+1 and trample and then killing them?

Thranduil

April 20, 2010, 08:38:00 AM
Reply #147

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Lyn's Wrath (W)(W)(W)
Sorcery
R
I think perhaps quadruple (W) would sit better with me. It is still a one-sided wrath, even if it may not kill that many creatures at once.

I wanted a different type of Wrath, a weenie oriented one. Most of the time, this will be a Limited-oriented card, however, weenie decks CAN take out, for instance, a Reveillark-into-Walls, which says something. I think the cost is fine, since it will eventually take out your own creatures, and a higher cost would make it too prohibitive, making it impossible to drop a dude AND clear a path the same turn, or clear big guys AND Path a smaller one. This one is probably fine.

Abel's Wrath (U)(U)(U)
Instant
R
Mass Pongify! Classic. But, current wording seems to suggest that each players get apes equal to the total number of destroyed creatures, which was presumably not your intention?

T'was not! Fixed it in the main thread.

Sorcery
R
I love the flavour of killing everyone and raising them back as Zombies. Control decks would definitely play it, though I can imagine the pain now.

It's a high-risk, high-gain card. Tricky, but cool nonetheless, I think.

Morwen's Wrath (R)(R)(R)
Instant
R
I think this card is doing too much. Either I would make it a mega Volcanic Fallout, or I would make it a Shatterstorm effect (perhaps uncounterable), or I would do something like:

Choose one - ~ deals 3 damage to each creature and each player; or destroy all artifacts with converted mana cost 3 or less.

This last choice just seems to fit better to me, and I don't think it needs uncounterability.

Thing is, you give it only the last option, it sucks. It's a card that ONLY kills Thopter-Sword. You take out the damage for Shatterstorm only, you kill the pieces but is still facing a horde of 1/1s. You give it only the first option, it sucks. Perhaps it may prove too powerful, but for now I'll keep it this way, since most of the time, it's an over-costed Volcanic Fallout, or sometimes it'll be a costly Shatter with collateral damage being done to both sides anyway (or even only YOUR side), so it's fair game.

Sorcery
R
I love the effect, but I'm not the biggest fan of the choice again. What's wrong with only one of those options? Or a minor Overrun granting everything +1/+1 and trample and then killing them?

Because then, it's just Wrath of God with no change to the board whatsoever (actually, it's BETTER than Wrath, since YOU get to swing in with pumped guys and the defender only BLOCKS with pumped guys). If you take a closer look, you'll see this card is worded to, yes, give you an edge since YOU'LL be the one swinging in, but ALSO to clear boards, it affects ALL creatures, not only YOUR creatures. Did you get that at first? ;)

April 20, 2010, 09:08:20 AM
Reply #148

Thranduil

• Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »
Thing is, you give it only the last option, it sucks. It's a card that ONLY kills Thopter-Sword. You take out the damage for Shatterstorm only, you kill the pieces but is still facing a horde of 1/1s. You give it only the first option, it sucks. Perhaps it may prove too powerful, but for now I'll keep it this way, since most of the time, it's an over-costed Volcanic Fallout, or sometimes it'll be a costly Shatter with collateral damage being done to both sides anyway (or even only YOUR side), so it's fair game.
I'm not sure you quite understood my point. I wanted to see a card that looked like one of these:

A)
Morwen's Wraith (R)(R)(R)
Instant
~ can't be countered.
~ deals 3 damage to each creature and each player.

B)
Instant
(~ can't be countered)
Destroy all artifacts(; they can't be regenerated).

C)
Instant
Choose one: ~ deals 3 damage to each creature and each player; or destroy each artifact with converted mana cost 3 or less.

And I also don't think you need to be fixated on a card that destroys the Thopter-Sword combo - it's not that important.

Because then, it's just Wrath of God with no change to the board whatsoever (actually, it's BETTER than Wrath, since YOU get to swing in with pumped guys and the defender only BLOCKS with pumped guys). If you take a closer look, you'll see this card is worded to, yes, give you an edge since YOU'LL be the one swinging in, but ALSO to clear boards, it affects ALL creatures, not only YOUR creatures. Did you get that at first? ;)
Yes I did notice that. My issue is that right now it seems better than Overrun. You only play Overrun when you're about to swing for the win, and you're probably going to have an army of little guys, so you choose the power 2 or less option and who cares that your guys are going to die? And trample is still the massive advantage to you, even though some of your opponent's guys might also get pumped.

I also wasn't sure that a (G) wrath should be good enough to distinguish between killing all small guys and all big guys. Where it really rocks at the moment is a one-sided wrath for triple (G). You are playing a weenie strategy or massive fatties, so it always does what you want.

April 20, 2010, 01:24:53 PM
Reply #149

FM

• Future Judge
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »
I'm gonna think about those two. The green one, you've almost got me swayed already, but the red one I'm not sure what to do. I plain don't like those options.