LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Rebuilding CC: Progress  (Read 3855 times)

May 05, 2008, 06:25:47 AM
Read 3855 times

Kralik

Rebuilding CC: Progress
« on: May 05, 2008, 06:25:47 AM »
Here is the latest stream of communications between Conor and I:

Kralik:
Dear Cobra,

The CobraCards community has been very sad to see your website go down. I heard from another member that you offered to send SQL dumps so that it could be rebuilt elsewhere. I have been running the lotrtcgwiki.com website for some time now as a resource for LotR players, and it has gained quite a following. Some forums recently have been posted at http://lotrtcgwiki.com/forums as a replacement for CC, but it would be even better to have the old CC content again.

Would you still be willing to send the old forum data? I'm sure that CC members would be elated to have their old posts back.
Also, so that I could get it working, I was wondering... what version of phpBB were you using? Did you use the Backup/Restore feature from within phpBB or make your own dumps via phpmyadmin or something similar?

Thanks in advance!
Kralik

Conor: (Sunday morning)
Kralik,

The files were created in phpMyAdmin, one with the "CSV" option and the other with the "SQL" option, both leaving the default settings intact.  Let me know what version you'd like to work with, and I'll upload it to my other webspace.

I'm afraid I don't remember the exact version number I was using, but it was definitely 2 rather than 3.

I had made some of my own hacks to add specialized functions to the forum, some of which included additions to the database structure.  In particular, there's a new field which carries the "post-autolink" message (when a post was made, it was parsed for card names using the store's database, which were then turned into appropriate links, and the new version was stored alongside the original).  There are also a few fields that were used to enhance voting for the article contest.

These changes are additions only, I never modified the database structure in a "destructive" way, so I don't think this should cause any problems.  Just wanted to warn you though. ;)

--Conor

Kralik:
That's awesome, Conor! I'll try the SQL option. I wrote my own program a while back to add autolink capabilities for CC to lotrtcgwiki.com, so I'd love to see what you had written and try to integrate it. Do you know offhand where you found the theme/stylesheet for CC? I would like as much as I could set up a mirror image of the original... :)

Cheers,
Kralik
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 04:24:08 PM by Kralik »

May 06, 2008, 02:35:25 PM
Reply #1

Celebrimbor

• Information Offline
  • Knight
Re: Rebuilding CC: Progess
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:35:25 PM »
Regarding the SQL Dumps, kralik...I have a warning...
phpbb is a LOT different from simple machines forum.  If you use the mysql dump scripts to completely reconstruct the original CC forum, it will only be compatible with phpbb2. (not phpbb3).  Unless, however, you could convert them in to a format readable by simple machines, which could be difficult...

Anyway, that's my 2cents.

The major problem right now is that NBarden is hosting his own forum, and with yours up and running there is a conflict.  We really need to get that solved and agree on a centralization.
Me: This isn't the quote you're looking for.
You: This isn't the quote we're looking for.
Me: I can go about my business.
You: You can go about your business.
Me: Move along.
You: Move along... move along.

May 06, 2008, 03:36:10 PM
Reply #2

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 03:36:10 PM »
Via e-mail, at least, NBarden has fully endorsed this location now that we have MtG forums.

Hats off to NB for running that site, though. Saved our butts several times! Everyone give him some gold. ;D
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

May 06, 2008, 04:27:56 PM
Reply #3

Kralik

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »
Welcome CBB! A few thoughts:

1) You are right, phpBB2 and SMF are very different. Here's the plan to convert: set up a phpBB2 forum, import the database via phpMyAdmin, and then run SMF's phpBB2-->SMF converter tool to import the posts. From what I have read online the tool works rather well.

2) I think NB should keep his forums open and they should be the official backup for this site in case it happens to go down sometime in the future. As I have stated elsewhere, I didn't even know they existed, and if I had, I probably wouldn't have made these! The best scenario would be that everyone knew the backup plan so they could keep the community going during downtime.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:29:32 PM by Kralik »

May 06, 2008, 05:00:50 PM
Reply #4

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »
Everyone give him some gold. ;D

yes, please do. I'm also accepting trading cards, pm me for my address.

Just kidding. It wasn't really a big deal...took me a lot less time.

I would go with phpbb2, Kralik. Simple Machines is so...geek friendly (meaning NOT non-computer-savvy user friendly).
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

May 06, 2008, 05:20:37 PM
Reply #5

Kralik

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 05:20:37 PM »
I would go with phpbb2, Kralik. Simple Machines is so...geek friendly (meaning NOT non-computer-savvy user friendly).

Do you say that referring to the front-end user interface or the admin interface?

May 07, 2008, 11:37:00 AM
Reply #6

Hobbit_Pizza

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
As I have stated elsewhere, I didn't even know they existed
Neither did I. I suppose a backup for the backup is always a good idea  :roll:

May 08, 2008, 03:52:32 PM
Reply #7

Celebrimbor

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 03:52:32 PM »
Hey kralik...What I would personally like to see you do is run phpbb3.  It's what all of us CC members are used to.  Plus, phpbb has much more of a level of control. And them maybe upgrade from phpbb2 to phpbb3, which has many more advanced features.

Still yet, I'm not sure if all the many members here would like to re-register if you decide to phpbb... Anyway, that's just my two cent.

To sum it all up, In my opinion simple machines is a poor choice to choose.  I'd be happy with it, but not just as happy as the other route which I suggested... ;)

May 08, 2008, 03:57:49 PM
Reply #8

Hobbit_Pizza

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »
I'm not sure if all the many members here would like to re-register if you decide to phpbb...
I definately wouldn't...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 04:24:19 PM by Hobbit_Pizza »

May 08, 2008, 04:23:17 PM
Reply #9

Kralik

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »
I'm going to have to stick with SMF, since I have already spent time developing it, creating an autolink function, etc. Some of the admin backend is very nice, including an automatic upgrade feature for security patches, which I have already used. Furthermore, it should be easy to import old CC posts in here. SMF 2.0 shows a lot of promise! 8) I'll wait for that until it's out of beta.

Now, something that is worth considering, as far as what you are "used to," is that a ton of the main interface is controlled by theme settings. If you'd like to see buttons in a different place or whatever, it could probably be worked out.

And on the topic of rebuilding CC... I still haven't heard from Conor, but I may drop him a line again if I haven't heard from him by Sunday (a week from his first response).

May 10, 2008, 09:42:01 AM
Reply #10

SomeRandomDude

• Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Most Likely To Usurp Kralik and Dáin
    • My Wordpress
Re: Rebuilding CC: Progress
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »

Do you say that referring to the front-end user interface or the admin interface?

Huh?

/ungeek

Front-end user interface.
NB- 4 year veteran of CC/TLHH

"It was like:
Kralik: "What hath God wrought"
NB: "I dunno, but I'm in ur house eating ur food.""
-Elessar's Socks

Trade List- ft. Aragorn, Defender of Rohan

May 10, 2008, 10:08:00 AM
Reply #11

Kralik

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »

Huh?

/ungeek

Let me know what you'd like to see differently... it's likely that everything you see can be changed by theme settings.

May 12, 2008, 09:00:18 AM
Reply #12

Kralik

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 09:00:18 AM »
Well! I sent Conor another email and he responded with a link to his backup. It's 360MB! :o I am downloading it now and should be able to start the process of importing it within the next few days.  :mrgreen:

May 12, 2008, 10:17:48 AM
Reply #13

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 10:17:48 AM »
Excellent news. :mrgreen: Let me know if you need any help and I'll do what I can, my friend.
Best regards,
Dáin

Check out Lasting Alliances and The Road Ahead, my two completed DC sets, and also The Way Into Mordor (in progress), all part of my 5-set Wars of the Ring DC "block".

May 12, 2008, 11:54:03 AM
Reply #14

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:54:03 AM »
Well! I sent Conor another email and he responded with a link to his backup. It's 360MB! :o I am downloading it now and should be able to start the process of importing it within the next few days.  :mrgreen:
Groovy. 8)

May 12, 2008, 02:35:54 PM
Reply #15

Celebrimbor

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 02:35:54 PM »
Huh?

/ungeek

OK so sticking with SMF...That's OK, as I'll just get used ter it.

I think I know what NB means in the quote - maybe install a different template (if you know how to do that, kralik).  I can vouch for NB's difficulty witht the front-end complexity factor ;)

May 12, 2008, 03:53:20 PM
Reply #16

Kralik

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 03:53:20 PM »
OK all, some setbacks in importing the CC database as it is MASSIVE. It got about 85% done before (presumably) crashing my webhost's server. I think I'll start the process again with a staggered delay between chunks...

EDIT: I put it on the slow boat. Import 200k of data, wait five seconds, repeat. Hopefully that will keep the server load low enough that a) it will finish and b) my webhost won't ban me. :mrgreen: I was hoping to have it all ready by tonight, but we'll see... still hopeful...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 04:01:24 PM by Kralik »

May 12, 2008, 08:27:58 PM
Reply #17

Kralik

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »
Good news, bad news--

Good news: I have the CobraCards database up and "running." You can read old posts!
Bad news: It ain't purty. It won't let you log in. And the first try conversion to TLHH was unsuccessful (as many probably noticed!). Many parts of the forums are tied directly to cobracards.com and had issues... it took much tinkering for me to get it to work as it is!

I'm going to give it a break for tonight, but I think I've accomplished enough for one day, since I had a normal work day, two needy kids at home, and I only just got the database this morning. ;)

"Browse" the forums here. Do not attempt to login or post, please!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:30:22 PM by Kralik »

May 12, 2008, 10:14:29 PM
Reply #18

Hobbit_Pizza

• Information Offline
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 10:14:29 PM »
Gah. Sounds like a nightmare.

May 12, 2008, 10:18:18 PM
Reply #19

MR. Lurtzy

• Information Offline
  • King
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we were Hodor?
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 10:18:18 PM »
Good news, bad news--

Good news: I have the CobraCards database up and "running." You can read old posts!
Bad news: It ain't purty. It won't let you log in. And the first try conversion to TLHH was unsuccessful (as many probably noticed!). Many parts of the forums are tied directly to cobracards.com and had issues... it took much tinkering for me to get it to work as it is!

I'm going to give it a break for tonight, but I think I've accomplished enough for one day, since I had a normal work day, two needy kids at home, and I only just got the database this morning. ;)

"Browse" the forums here. Do not attempt to login or post, please!
Thanks! :)

May 13, 2008, 01:19:08 AM
Reply #20

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 01:19:08 AM »
Hey thats awesome, thanks Kralik. Is there anyway you can get images back? The avatar i had on there was a unique one i made and i want it back!?
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
That's like having "Some Who Ride Ponies" as a Rohan follower. ~ Dain Ironfoot.

May 13, 2008, 05:47:03 AM
Reply #21

Kralik

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 05:47:03 AM »
Hey thats awesome, thanks Kralik. Is there anyway you can get images back? The avatar i had on there was a unique one i made and i want it back!?

I just got another email from Cobra on that very question... and the answer is... sadly... no. He doesn't have anything except for the database dump, which means that all images, themes, custom code, the riddle game, etc. are lost. I did actually find the theme he was using (I had to find it to make it work), but as you can see it isn't displaying properly.

May 13, 2008, 06:17:14 AM
Reply #22

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 06:17:14 AM »
Noooo ah well thanks for trying, shame you cant get the theme sorted either. A bit of nostalgis would be nice.

May 13, 2008, 06:20:22 AM
Reply #23

Kralik

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 06:20:22 AM »
Good news #2: I was able to hack my way into the admin interface and switch the theme to the default! The forum is now readable! Note that child boards (for example, Expanded/Standard/etc.) are not listed correctly under their parents (Deck Clinic)

May 13, 2008, 06:22:24 AM
Reply #24

lem0nhead

• Vegetarian Cannibal
  • Information Offline
  • Wizard
  • Juicy Fruit
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 06:22:24 AM »
Bow to the genius that is Kralik. Nice one man. This ace for us DC-ers.

May 13, 2008, 07:01:56 AM
Reply #25

DáinIronfoot

• Bearded Axeman
  • Information Offline
  • Maia
  • Never tickle a Dwarf!
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 07:01:56 AM »
Awesome possum. At least we can see it all now, like a massive historical archive. 'Twould be nice to still get it all integrated, but if that's not possible, I'm content just knowing it's still there. Bravo.

If you need any help, again, just let me know. Send me a PM with how to get into the admin tools, though, if you DO need me.
Best regards,
Dáin

May 13, 2008, 07:46:38 AM
Reply #26

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Why me? No, seriously. WHY ME?!?
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 07:46:38 AM »
Nice!
Like lem0n said... especially important to us DC peoples. ...Now I can go and retrieve all my Children of Hurin DCs that I never actually saved on my computer.
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

May 13, 2008, 10:52:16 AM
Reply #27

Celebrimbor

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 10:52:16 AM »
Cool...wow.  All of our old posts up.  The main problem now is that any links existing within the posts, are under Cobracards.com domain...which is bad...

Unless you want to kill yourself trying to change all of them, I wouldn't recommend it.

May 13, 2008, 10:54:00 AM
Reply #28

AgentDrake

• Information Offline
  • Ranger
  • Why me? No, seriously. WHY ME?!?
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Meh. We can hunt around for stuff if we need to.
Forget it. I'm not arguing with the computer anymore to try to get the sig I want....

May 13, 2008, 11:18:59 AM
Reply #29

sickofpalantirs

• Information Offline
  • Useful Spammer
  • one spammer to rule them all
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
well...if we do change post counts here to what they were on CC>..I guess I could live with it (GP counts too...)
Felipe Musco:
(after all, it's a CHARITY organization, I still have SOME principles, even having gone through Law School... :P),
Elf Lvr:
Bit of a scrawny Iowan kid with an unhealthy artifact obsession. Oh, and a God of Spam. In a good way.
Ahhh!!! SoP, you're a genius!!! :gp: ~Menace64
SoP's Trade List
Like Muscle Cars? Check out themusclecarplace.com

May 13, 2008, 11:19:33 AM
Reply #30

Celebrimbor

• Information Offline
  • Knight
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 11:19:33 AM »
BUMP...

And BTW you might already know this kralik, but all the block formats aren't nicely nested under one forum, like the original CC.

May 13, 2008, 11:25:32 AM
Reply #31

Kralik

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2008, 11:25:32 AM »
Good news #2: I was able to hack my way into the admin interface and switch the theme to the default! The forum is now readable! Note that child boards (for example, Expanded/Standard/etc.) are not listed correctly under their parents (Deck Clinic)

Quoting myself...