LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Author Topic: Worst version of a movie character?  (Read 39189 times)

November 20, 2020, 04:31:20 PM
Reply #75

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
Re: Worst version of a movie character?
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2020, 04:31:20 PM »
Here are some more opinions on the last FP characters with at least 3 versions (I think).

Galadriel, Sorceress of the Hidden Land - Galadriel is the most banned character in the game so there was some stiff competition. The spot requirement is reasonable for a free character and the ability is fine, but it seems to me this level of devotion to Elves would be better served by Bearer of Wisdom right? I dunno. I went back and forth between her and Keeper of Nenya -- I use Keeper about as often as Lady of the Golden Wood in post-Fellowship formats and I've seen her win games, but she does me wrong often enough that I'm a little bitter haha. If you WotR+ players say SotHL is useful then I'll happily convert.

Elrond, Keeper of Vilya - I have fun with this guy in the one deck that uses him, but that's because there's really only one deck that can use him.

Celeborn, Lord of Lorien - The cards that he was best with got banned, so... Yeah.

Haldir, Elf of the Golden Wood - Jeez, Warrior Messenger is the only version of Haldir that makes an attractive choice for a deck. Which is a real shame. This guy is bad in Fellowship block and outright useless outside of it, whereas the other guys are merely bad.

Orophin, Brother of Haldir - Lorien Bowman is kinda useless outside of Fellowship block but so good in it that he eeks past Legolas Jr here.

Rumil, Brother of Haldir - Did someone at Decipher have something against Haldir? Just having him in the subtitle is apparently a black mark.

Treebeard, Oldest Living Thing - No surprise.

Denethor, Steward of the City - I think he's better than he looks, but yeah.

Isildur, Heir of Elendil - Sword-bearer might have been worse but for the twilight cost. They're both fine choices though.

Madril, Ranger of Ithilien - Meh.

Gamling, Defender of the Hornburg - All Gamlings are really solid, I'm just bitter about horn decks :P Outside of that this guy is a guaranteed Simbelmyne which is great, I just don't know if I'm as willing to pay the twilight cost of a possession again to put it where I want. I think I'd still pick Gamling, Warrior of Rohan over him. Probably controversial.

Hama, Northman - Even more specialized than Doorward of Theoden and his text won't stop The Pale Blade from tearing through your support area or War Club from robbing you blind. They're both super niche though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 04:53:21 AM by Phallen Cassidy »

February 11, 2021, 02:26:09 PM
Reply #76

5tein

• Information Offline
  • Tracker
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2021, 02:26:09 PM »
Haldir, Elf of the Golden Wood - Jeez, Warrior Messenger is the only version of Haldir that makes an attractive choice for a deck. Which is a real shame. This guy is bad in Fellowship block and outright useless outside of it, whereas the other guys are merely bad.
Treebeard, Oldest Living Thing - No surprise.
In their defense, both of these cards were clutch in draft / sealed.

Early Treebeard = winning 2 skirmishes at key points in the site path, enabling critical double moves.

Late Haldir = increased likelihood of coasting into site 9.

September 14, 2021, 09:41:28 AM
Reply #77

Phallen Cassidy

• Information Offline
  • Bowman
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2021, 09:41:28 AM »
Stumbled upon this again and remembered there are a few Shadow cards left for me to judge. No opinions left to have after this batch!

The Balrog, Terror of Flame and Shadow - My personal favorite Balrog, but yeah.

Saruman, Master of the White Hand - The ONLY use I can see for him is with Undead of Angmar and Throne of the Dark Lord. Which, granted, does sound kinda cool. Trying to imagine why anyone would ever want to discard a condition bad enough to use this guy, but not bad enough to use just about anything else instead.

Grima, Son of Galmod - Obviously.

Lurtz, Resilient Captain - For some reason Lurtz received little or no power creep over the life of the game.

Gollum, Hopeless - Torn between him and Nasty Treacherous Creature, but I do have NTC in some wounding decks. Even the rare occasion where playing this guy makes sense, playing another version would make more sense still... right?

Shelob, Menace - Poor gal. Neat effects, if you could ever win a skirmish.

Gorbag, Lieutenant of Cirith Ungol - Though not a bad card per say.

Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul - Tough call, they're all very usable.